• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Ducks GM Bob Murray accused of cross-checking fan

Rate this topic

By Helene Elliott

May 16, 2009

Ducks General Manager Bob Murray was interviewed by Detroit police Thursday night but was not charged after a woman working as a TV stage manager at Joe Louis Arena said he hit her in the left chest, arm and shoulder with a chair after the Ducks' 4-3 loss to the Red Wings in Game 7 of the teams' second-round playoff series, according to an Internet report Friday.

The website, MyFoxDetroit.com, which is affiliated with Detroit TV station WJBK, said Rachel Paris, 55, was hit by the bar stool-like seat thrown by "an upset and angry Murray" in the press box. The cramped facility is shared by writers, broadcasters and TV crews. Those who work there use elevated seats to reach the elevated work table.

The website also said Paris, who wouldn't disclose which media outlet employed her during the game, believed Murray vented his frustration at her because she had been rooting for the Red Wings.

"I was taken to the boards by Bob Murray and survived the hit. I felt like I was cross-checked and I didn't even have the puck," Paris told the website, which said she declined to file a formal complaint.

Murray denied throwing the chair at Paris.

"It was a complete accident," he told The Times on Friday. "I've spoken with her and cleared it all up."

helene.elliott@latimes.com

Don't forget- it wasn't a missed call at all in this game. The rule all the Ducks fan quote only applies to situations when the goalie controls the puck. A loose puck is subject to a separate rule, one I forget the number of but TSN showed it after the goal and their panel unanimously agreed the goal was good because of that rule. This other rule says the player can push the goalie (within reason, which this small nudge certainly was) when attempting to play a loose puck.

Yes, the VS guys put up the text of the rule as well and it made a lot of sense. All these comments from players and fans are really quite ignorant and off base. This wasn't a bad call. So, to be swinging around a chair and hitting woman bystanders is even more inexcusable and despicable. Honestly, could you ever in your like imagine a story like this regarding Holland, let alone Yzerman or Devellano? It is unthinkable. Like dysfunctional families, this kid of thing starts at home with the parents.

Yes, the VS guys put up the text of the rule as well and it made a lot of sense. All these comments from players and fans are really quite ignorant and off base. This wasn't a bad call. So, to be swinging around a chair and hitting woman bystanders is even more inexcusable and despicable. Honestly, could you ever in your like imagine a story like this regarding Holland, let alone Yzerman or Devellano? It is unthinkable. Like dysfunctional families, this kid of thing starts at home with the parents.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

That really puts it in perspective. Good point.

I don't doubt this happened, but somethings getting lost in the translation. No way he does this with malicious intent without presses being charge and I agree it had to be some sort of an accident. Of course either way he acted like a jackass, but to think he intentionally tried to injure a woman Wings fan is unfathomably ridiculous.

Absolutely. But, you know, any excuse for some fans to responds with 'OMG he beat down an innocent woman with a chair, he's worse than Hitler!!' The press box at the Joe is meant to be pretty cramped. The woman's comments sounded very tongue-in-cheek ('checked into the boards and I didn't even have the puck'). I mean he may well be an ass, but the whole things sounds pretty ridiculous.

It was determined that she had her head down and was admiring her pass, good old Bob was just finishing his check. The league reviewed the play and thought a summer suspension will be long enough

Guest Shoreline

I'd like to see this sourced a bit more, since the media was all over the damn place, but if he actually did to it, well, he should be liable, both criminally and civilly.

I have this image in my head of Cleary scoring, Murray rising out of his seat while roaring and flailing his arms (like the Hulk), picking up a chair and cross-checking some four-foot-tall woman in the face with it, jumping through a window, landing on the street below (making a a crater on impact), and being chased by military helicopters.

Edited by Dabura

I have this image in my head of Cleary scoring, Murray rising out of his seat while roaring and flailing his arms (like the Hulk), picking up a chair and cross-checking some four-foot-tall woman in the face with it, jumping through a window, landing on the street below (making a a crater on impact), and being chased by military helicopters.

Very funny! :thumbup: