• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Krayzie_Bone

Music at the Joe

Rate this topic

I realize that this is a pretty trivial topic especially during the playoffs but it is something that has been on my mind for a while and I wonder if anyone feels the same way. I think who ever does the music at the Joe is terrible. The songs they play do not even seem to be played to get people fired up. I do not hate every song that is played but at least 90% of the songs make me laugh at how lame they are. I do not like the Penguins but whoever does the music for them knows what they are doing. They play kicks ass music that if I was at the Mellon arena I would be going nuts. I realize people have different tastes of music but everyone I watch a wings game with that I point out the music agree. Some examples of what I cant stand ( that stupid clap clap your hands chant/song, my dirty little secret by all american rejects WTF? There are many others I cant even think of. P.S. I love the song they play at the end of the games when the wings win good old hockey game or whatever it says.

YES! I haven't been to the Joe in years, but what I hear on TV is downright awful. It's as if the DJ has pre-made a list of 20 songs and plays only those songs every damn game. Sure playing songs with lyrics that match the on-ice situation is somewhat clever, but not after the 953rd game in a row. I mean, seriously come on. Not to mention the fact that the Wings home crowd is usually one of the quietest in the NHL, they really need something to pump them up.

Man I am so glad someone finally said this. I have felt this way for more than a decade. They do play some cool things that cleverly describe the action. But every other song is some super weak random 80's new wave or disco that makes you stop and ask, "Why the hell are they playing this?" I felt that way when I lived in Detroit all through the 90's and used my parents season tickets to go to games. When I moved out west I got the center ice package to keep up with the Wings. But the more I watched other teams broadcasts and heard the music in more buildings...the worse the music at the Joe sounded in comparison. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the JOE. I try to hit a game every time I am in town to visit family. Almost every other arena plays better music than the Joe. They need more Van Halen. In Philly everytime they score they throw down the end of Van Halen's "Ain't Talkin Bout Love" and the whole crowd cheers "Hey Hey Hey!" If they're are gonna play stuff from the 80's hows about old Metallica. I swear during national broadcasts it's embarrassing. There have been times in the middle of boring games in the middle of the season when I'll notice a song come on and they will end to repair the ice or something and the song will stay on a little longer then usual and it will be some out there wimpy cheesy song (it's late I wish I could think of an example) that will make me go "This person has to be slipping that song in to mess with people. There is no way ANYONE is enjoying that song." I know taste is relative. If it was up to me they would be playing nothing but real Detroit music like The Stooges and MC5. But at least for Pete sake knock of the Wang Chung and Kool & The Gang and play some more Aerosmith, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Stones. I know a lot of people don't even notice music and of all things to complain about.... But it has bugged the HELL outta me for years and I am just glad to hear someone else say it. They got a new guy to announce the goals (regulating Budd Lynch to more low-key annoucements) I say it is time to modernize the music at the Joe. Beacuse the guy the have had for the last 2 decades is cheesy and weak. And that's all I have to say about that. GO WINGS! :skull: :rockstar: :skull: :punk: :skull:

LOL I feel the exact same way

I wouldn't mind Rossini (William Tell Overture) or Wagner's Walkürenritt, overplayed as they are. And some happy trance etc. would be acceptable. Then again, I don't actually go to the games, so it prob affects other people more. I just hear stuff through my computer speakers...

And yeah, it's a cliche at this point, but if you're going classical, absoultely nothing beats a good clip fron 'O Fortuna'

I'll also add in another vote for the odd bit of cheeseball Sewdish pop.

Guest Shoreline
+1 for the Opeth reference.

How many +'s do I get for this? (+ quote)

dsc00742apa.jpg

Edited by Shoreline

Guest Shoreline
Quite a few... But why are there people in front of you? You should have pushed to the front :)

Security was anal about flash cameras, especially from those in the very front. Akerfeldt also called one or two of them out and told them, "how about another picture, motherf***er?" (while showing his middle finger to the flash crazy fan).

Edited by Shoreline

Best Team in the league firing up the crowd, or best music in the arena firing up the crowd?

I'll take the best team any day. The Joe's only duty to getting the fans into the game is before the game after that it is up to the best anthem singer around and most importantly the team.

yeah they play the same songs every game. i rather hear black kids screaming than the horrible music they play there. and that journey song is out played but yeah i guess since they say raise in south detroit they have to play it. they deff. need a new dj or arena music player dude

Guys, they play the music that the majority of the attendies will enjoy. Most people that go to the games like these songs.

Yep. And I'm one of them.

I'm so thankful when I hear other arena's music that we have the music we do. I love it. Wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Also, I miss the Imperial March that used to play at the beginning of the Power Play. But I understand why they quit that, seemed like, a few years ago, every arena was copying the Joe with that.

I noticed that Anaheim uses it, except when the opponent goes on the PP. I guess cause they're they bad guys or whatever.

I kind of roll my eyes when I see a Wings game from 15 years ago and we're playing mostly the same music, but never really cared enough to be outraged or anything like that. Like someone else said, gotta cater to the majority. I remember when I was at PSU, our club team would play Friday nights at 9 and Saturdays at 3:30. The Friday games were 90% students and we'd play a lot harder stuff. The Saturday games were 90% families and we'd play pretty much what you hear at the Joe. That's just how this stuff goes.

Detroit's got such a rich music heritage though, spanning both eras and genres...it'd be kind of cool to play exclusively those people. That's something that maybe only 3-4 other cities could pull off and would give us kind of a unique twist.

Edited by C-TownWing

I've actually heard them playing Nickleback - Something In Your Mouth a few times during these playoffs. Which is of course very funny.

"Caue you look so much cuter...with something in your mouth"

When my parents catch a hockey game at the Joe, they always complain that the music is too loud. If they had to listen to thrash all game, their heads would explode.

Point is, I think the DJ is trying for a happy medium between loud music to fire people up and old people's heads exploding.

What I do miss, though, is certain players having a signature tune when they score. I think the only guy to have one now is Dan Cleary (I can see clearly now). Do you remember these:

Vladi - Bad to the Bone

Shanny - The irish Jig

Jason Wooley - Wooly Bully

I think Franzen deserves one and I recommend Queens of the Stone Age - Give the Mule What He Wants.

Anyone else have any ideas?

When my parents catch a hockey game at the Joe, they always complain that the music is too loud. If they had to listen to thrash all game, their heads would explode.

Point is, I think the DJ is trying for a happy medium between loud music to fire people up and old people's heads exploding.

What I do miss, though, is certain players having a signature tune when they score. I think the only guy to have one now is Dan Cleary (I can see clearly now). Do you remember these:

Vladi - Bad to the Bone

Shanny - The irish Jig

I think Franzen deserves one and I recommend Queens of the Stone Age - Give the Mule What He Wants.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Wrong.

Zetterberg - Rock n' Roll part 2 ("Hank" in place of "Hey")

Cleary - I Can See Clearly Now

Chelios/Draper - Warm It Up, Kriss

Kronwall - I Can't Drive 55

to name a few. Often, sounds are added

Franzen - Hanz & Franz "We want to pump *clap* you up!"

Lidstrom - Dr. Evil's "The laser!"

Vladi - Bad to the Bone

Shanny - The irish Jig

My favorite was "He's So Fine" for Lang.

This kind of thing makes me appreciate The Joe's DJ, he takes the time to connect music with what's going on in the game.

I think whatever he plays, there will always be someone complaining, you can't make everyone happy.

I think they could stand to throw in a bit more current music at times, but come on now. You can't knock Bon Jovi or Journey (well you can, but you would be wrong to). I like to pay more attention to winning... cause we do that. They could play opera music for all I care, so long as we win.