• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Broken 16

Animosity Towards Hossa?

Rate this topic

I don't know if it's just me, but Hossa is getting downright abused in these playoffs. He was damn near bodyslammed by Pronger and it seems like guys are going out of their way to hammer him. I wonder if the players are sending him a message about his upcoming contract talks. Just a thought.

Ya, you're probably right. Just seems like Hossa is getting extra attention out there.

Im sure he does because he is Hossa and is the Wings leading scorer in the regular season. Great thing is though, the Wings are not dependent on him scoring. Even if he is not , he is good on the back check, and the opponent still has to worry about him turning it on ... depth is a great thing to have.

I think his style of play matches up good against the hawks (better than the ducks), and the goals will come for him.

Edited by Statts

Guest L3T5G0W1NG5

yes, hossa should be scoring more. however, i have been happy with his defensive play.

I'm not sure if he's injured - I don't think he is personally, I'd be more inclined to say he's in a slump.

He's skating fine - just look at him on the PK and when he's racing for pucks: he often gets there first. He's been great on the kill with Datsyuk. The powerplay that Chicago scored on was when Filppula and Franzén got a bit out of position, but Datsyuk and Hossa had spent their time on the kill in Chicago's zone.

Ya, you're probably right. Just seems like Hossa is getting extra attention out there.

YOu're spot on, but it's not message sending, it's what happens to the better players in the league. The better players get more attention because of their skill sets.

If he and Dats keep the other team off of the scoreboard like they are and score 0 more goals, fine by me.

Remember all that matters is 16!

Edit:

that was not aimed at anyone that was just my thoughts.

Hossa's defense right now and the energy that he and Dats are playing with give me faith. If they were constantly pinned in their own end and not getting any opportunities but constantly giving them up I would be worried.

But this is what makes this team great, follow my logic for a second:

Hossa, dats, Holmer garner the other teams best defensive corp.

Z, Cleary, Franzen defend the other team's top line.

Det 3 and 4 lines can just go out and play hockey!

The 4th line isn't worried about shutting down the top line, they just have to play their game.

But if Babs is stuck and this is not working he can easily go here:

ZDH

Hossa, Flip, Mule

and then the first line either shuts down the top line for the other team while line 2 dominates or vice versa.

Depth is the key here and Detroit is the deepest.

I could give two s***s if it is Lebda scoring every goal the rest of the post season, as long as Det gets the W!

Now would I feel better if every line was scoring? Sure, but I would also feel better if the team went 16-0!

Edited by Opie

Hossa signed with the Wings for a free ride to the Finals. He has not contributed at all this year.

All makes sense now.

I gotta' believe you're joking, but I am rethinking signing him long term. I appreciate all his defensive work and his hustle, but he has been a huge let down in these playoffs. If you are gonna' pay someone big money they better be big time D-Man, an outstanding 'tender or an elite forward. Right now, he's not worth the money of a long term deal. Especially when you see what we got Franzen locked up for... just sayin'.

Hossa signed with the Wings for a free ride to the Finals. He has not contributed at all this year.

All makes sense now.

Yep. Hossa isn't doing anything productive out there. He should be replaced by D-Mac. nhl_g_mccarty_200.jpg

Hes not getting any more attention than any of our other big name players are. And hes not getting any more attention than hes seen variably throughout his career in the playoffs.

He and Datsyuk just need to fight through it and work a little harder.

Hossa might want to start by moving his feet towards the puck, instead of waiting for it to trickle towards him, as hes been prone to doing this run.

Guest Shoreline
Yep. Hossa isn't doing anything productive out there. He should be replaced by D-Mac. nhl_g_mccarty_200.jpg

Maybe the Wings could be sneaky like Borat and substitute Hossa for Boogaard. He'd score like, 60 goals in the postseason with his fists. No one would notice.

All makes sense now.

He's working hard, just like Datsyuk who has been even more snake bitten than Hossa.

If we had our whole offense firing on all cilinders (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, Franzen, Holmstrom etc) at all times we'd go 16 - 0 through the playoffs, but the fact is our top scorers are getting the attention they need to make their lives living hells, while we're getting second and third line scoring... That's how the Wings work.

Hossa is a rare player in that he has a good deal of both finesse and physicality to him. What I mean by physicality, is that he isn't afraid to go into the dirty areas and try to deke his way out of them, because he does such a good job protecting the puck. I think its just how he plays as the reason why he gets hit so much.

All the players got abused agains the Ducks; they are down right dirty and I'm glad to be rid of them for this season/playoffs. Hossa has been taking a licking by opposing players I think they are just trying to get inside his head and get him off his game because If he get's going in these playoffs for the Wings look out. A lot of our top guns need to get going but they can't if they are being handled phisically. Hossa is a tough guy and can handle the stuff he's taking it'll just take another game or two and he'll answer phyiscally and offensively.

Hes not getting any more attention than any of our other big name players are. And hes not getting any more attention than hes seen variably throughout his career in the playoffs.

He and Datsyuk just need to fight through it and work a little harder.

Hossa might want to start by moving his feet towards the puck, instead of waiting for it to trickle towards him, as hes been prone to doing this run.

If Datsyuk can keep repeatedly stripping those kids of the puck at center ice for the remainder of this series, I'll take it.

I was lmao a few times where the Hawk kept skating then realized "sh&t! wt-f happened to the puck"? priceless.

Edited by RockyMountainWingGal

I gotta' believe you're joking, but I am rethinking signing him long term. I appreciate all his defensive work and his hustle, but he has been a huge let down in these playoffs. If you are gonna' pay someone big money they better be big time D-Man, an outstanding 'tender or an elite forward. Right now, he's not worth the money of a long term deal. Especially when you see what we got Franzen locked up for... just sayin'.

This whole topic is a bit of a joke. Yes, the top players on the Wings are not scoring, Dats = no goals in the playoffs, Z = mostly empty netters, Hossa = 2 goals against the Ducks. You need to look deeper than goals and assists, and even beyond the ± stat, what these players bring to the ice is a huge threat to score if left uncovered. Teams are smothering them to prevent them from scoring, which opens up the ice for Frazen, Cleary, Filppula, Hudler, etc. Without the Wings top guys and the threat they are, the others would garner more attention, as Frazen will in the future. Where the Wings are always underated is the depth and skill that is developed in GR by the supporting cast, the guys that have to work harder day in and day out, because they are not blessed with the skill that Dats and Hossa have. Depth is the key, as has been proven, and will continue to be proven! Don't question the contribution of the top guys, as their production requires measurement in other ways!

Guest MrSandMan

I think the Anaheim's smothing defense took the wind out of our big name players, such as Dats and Hossa (though Zetterberg is playing like a beast), is a bit off putting the puck in net (besides empty nets).

I think once these guys get going (due to Hawks subpar defense) they will become unstoppable.