• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ozzie30

Ozzie still gets no respect

Rate this topic

I still believe that Osgood is a product of the system here in Detroit. I don't think his career stats would be remotely the same had he been a product of another system....

The three season's he was with islanders/st. louis his numbers (2.5 GAA, .905 SV%)were on par with his career average (2.47 GAA, .906 SV%). If you ignore his s*** year he had when he was traded, he posted a 2.37 GAA and .911 SV% in those two seasons combined, far better than his career numbers. In fact, he rebounded nicely after that s*** season and had one of his best regular seasons to date. However, nothing matters but championships and he'll soon have 4.

Uh, it's far more about the goaltender than you make it of. Since I've ever been a fan, the magnifying glass has been put upon a goalie, and Hockeytown is notable for being very harsh on goalies. So the fact that Ozzie is not only back, but ironically the Wings win another cup and are back in the conference finals, with the chance to repeat, is proof in the pudding that Osgood IS the s***, and haters simply don't know what the f*** they're talking about. The fact that Ozzie is accepted and cheered for on a regular basis (something that couldn't be said of Vernon or Hasek) is a welcome sign that this goalie has been accepted, which, in Detroit, is definitely an accomplishment.

QFT.

Everyone always thinks that with even a slightly serviceable goaltender, the Wings should be able to win a Stanley Cup like falling outta bed. And yet, Joseph, Hasek, Legace, all have failed when this "logic" says they should have succeeded. Osgood has seen more shots this playoffs than I think many realize and the quality and concentration of those shots when they come are very underestimated by haters. He isn't faking his .922 save percentage.

And even when he isn't seeing the 28 shots per game he is averaging through the playoffs so far, he has to keep focused during the long periods without seeing a shot and be prepared that when he usually does see shots, they are coming several at a time for the most part. Show Luongo that pattern of work and he'll be made to look quite average, even more average than he was made to look by these same Blackhawks.

And to revisit Shoreline's point about the Ozzy love: this is a historically terrible team to want to play goal for. Like the article I posted from ESPN today mentions, this is a town where you win SOLELY because of the team in front of you, while losing lies SOLELY on your lap as goaltender. And yet, before, during, and after every single Red Wings game this playoff, chants of "OZZY! OZZY! OZZY!" rock the Joe.

Why is that? Because he is a terrible goaltender we suddenly feel generous enough to shower with Gladiator-esque mob-love? Or because when given the opportunity, he is the ONE goaltender who has been able to sieze it and win consistently.

With all due respect, Echo.....I'm calling BS.

They have ALL been guilty of that. ALL OF THEM!

Brodeur. Roy. Hasek. ALL OF THEM! Without exception. Every single one of them has given up some SH!T goals at the worst possible times.

The only reason that the aforementioned are not "known" for that, whereas Osgood IS.....

Absolutely. Remember that goal Brodeur gave up in Game 3 of the '03 Finals against Anaheim? The one where he tried to play a slow-rolling puck with his stick, tripped, fell on his arse, and had the puck roll through him and into the net? That goal lost Game 3 for the Devils, and shifted the momentum of the whole series.

Of course, Marty came back and pitched a shutout in Game 7 to seal another Cup, and nobody remembers that goal now. It truly is all about perception.

Great article about Ozzy, on ESPN of all things:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/200...&id=4176419

Favorite Part:

Reminds me of my friends.

I really like that article. Gave me some insight on how Ozzie progressed over the season. I won't lie, I kind of got down on him during the season. I never thought we should kick him off the team or anything, I just knew he wasn't playing like Osgood. But he sure has erased my doubts in the playoffs, and I couldn't be happier. I can't wait to go to the Joe during the finals (yes, we're making it there) and chant 'Ozzie! Ozzie!'.

Look, he made his own bed by playing like s*** during the regular season. I know he's underpaid so that's OK. Just don't ***** about it, eh?

How am I bitching? I'm pointing out that he does get a little respect from time to time and that it's nothing new if he doesn't get the credit I and others feel he deserves. Lets face it, if he was as bad as some claim, he would of never backstopped us to a cup.

Edited by DatsMyWings13

OSGOOD SUCKS! TAKE HIS STANLEY CUP RINGS AWAY!!! THE RED WINGS SUCK!!! THEY NEVER WIN!!!

THEY CHOKE!!! OSGOOD CHOKES!!! THEY NEVER SHOULD EVEN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!! DETROIT SUCKS!!! EVERYONE SUCKS!!!

I HATE MYSELF!!!!!!!!!

OZZY!

Our boy played lights out tonite. Wings looked like their 7 games against the Ducks were starting to catch up with them, but Osgood held his ground and played great. Two goals off failure to clear the zone and funny bounces. Osgood out-dueled Khabibulin in goal, now he has stolen us a game.

GO WINGS! GO OZZY!

I like that most people disrespect Ozzie, because like others have said, the chip on his shoulder seems to drive him. As soon as Pierre asked him about the doubters after the game yesterday, I was like "uh oh, it's ON now." Gut feeling: he'll be awesome tomorrow.

I realize it's bad form to self-quote, but I couldn't resist.

I rather like ozzie being underrated.... it makes all the people bashing him all the time look like mindless sheep.... BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAA

Edited by OsGOD

just so you all know..... most people outside detroit think it is your defense and NOT your goaltender that deserves all the credit.... pretty much think any nhl goalie could win the cup with your guys out front........ hence his under rated status

Edited by reggiedunlop

just so you all know..... most people outside detroit think it is your defense and NOT your goaltender that deserves all the credit.... pretty much think any nhl goalie could win the cup with your guys out front........ hence his under rated status

Considering we hear this every @$@#%ing game night, including by the occasional ignoramous among our own fans, tell us something we don't know.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Considering we hear this every @$@#%ing game night, including by the occasional ignoramous among our own fans, tell us something we don't know.

You should see the lunacy going on over in the MVP thread.

Eddie Mio, Rogie Vashon, Ed Giacomin, Greg Stephan, Gilles Gilbert, Bob Sauve, Doug Grant, Manny Legace, Sam St-Laurent........

Yeah.. Chris Osgood sucks. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You should see the lunacy going on over in the MVP thread.

LIDSTORM 4 MVPPPP

:rolleyes:

Like I said in the MVP thread, we're not in the WCF without Ozzie. Put Conklin in his place, and--as much as I respect Conklin's abilities--we're out against the Ducks.

Enough said. We're not in the WCF up 2-0 without Ozzie.

Give the man his due.

you sound bitter

Who cares about anything other than the fact that he has already won us 2 cups and will most likely win us another..

Ozzy haters can suck dirty chicago d*cks

Guest Shoreline
Who cares about anything other than the fact that he has already won us 2 cups and will most likely win us another..

Ozzy haters can suck dirty chicago d*cks

Yeouch.

No disrespect or anything, but find me a series in the last 10 years where osgood was in net and we won where we were outshot and the goalie was the difference.

No, the wings dynasty has been all about not making it about the goaltender - and that's why Ozzie won't get props. That plus sucking in the regular season.

I suggest you read the "Great Ozzie Article" thread. Or at least the write-up. It is right on.

I really don't know what to say anymore.

I've been praising Ozzie and supporting him for the past 12 years and my goodness the bashing that is done towards the guy is so completely unreal and mind boggling. Being the huge fan and supporter that I am with Oz it seriously is heart breaking to see the guy get no respect. All the guy does is win. Over and over and over and over again. What more can you ask? And here I was thinking that last years playoffs would finally put a stop to all the criticism on him yet here we are now, Ozzie with a 10-3 record playing out of his mind and keeping his team in it since the playoffs started, and *still* there is no love for the guy. It's sad to think that if indeed *crosses fingers* the Wings go on to win the Cup that once again there will be the majority saying Ozzie is a product of the system. I'll never understand why it's so hard for people to just give the guy credit when it's due and it's been due his entire career. He's a great goalie and the Wings are damn lucky that he's a part of the team and has been for the majority of his career.