• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ozzie30

Ozzie still gets no respect

Rate this topic

I'm sure there will be forum Nazi's that complain about another Osgood thread (whaaa,) but they should all be in bed in their parents' basements now anyway.

So, I've noticed Ozzie bashers saying that he's benefited from great teams in front of him. When you look at the history of the NHL, what elite goalie hasn't? Brodeur, Roy (MTL and COL,) Fuhr, Sawchuk, Hasek, etc. all had some pretty damn good teams in front of them.

In the same sentence, these people ask for Luongo, Kipper, and Nabakov, but as flashy as they are, what have they ever won?

I can't really think of a goalie off-hand that dominated their way to a Cup on a bad team, but maybe it has happened before. A good team can't win a Cup without a good goalie, and a good goalie can't win a Cup without a good team.

I'm sure there will be forum Nazi's that complain about another Osgood thread (whaaa,) but they should all be in bed in their parents' basements now anyway.

So, I've noticed Ozzie bashers saying that he's benefited from great teams in front of him. When you look at the history of the NHL, what elite goalie hasn't? Brodeur, Roy (MTL and COL,) Fuhr, Sawchuk, Hasek, etc. all had some pretty damn good teams in front of them.

In the same sentence, these people ask for Luongo, Kipper, and Nabakov, but as flashy as they are, what have they ever won?

I can't really think of a goalie off-hand that dominated their way to a Cup on a bad team, but maybe it has happened before. A good team can't win a Cup without a good goalie, and a good goalie can't win a Cup without a good team.

Thank you... that's absofreakinloutley true and anyone that doesn't get that might have some mental issues to work on...

The biggest argument against Osgood is the fact that he has been known for letting in the occasional softie. People look at that as a sign of a weak goaltender, then look at the numbers which state otherwise and give credit to the defense in front of him and remain convinced he isn't stellar. I've been in this situation with Osgood a couple times, and I'm sure I'll be there again, but regardless of what kind of defense he has in front of him, when the time comes for Osgood to prove his worth he rarely lets down. I don't think he'll ever steal a Cup like Roy did for Montreal, or steal a series even, but you can't downplay his worth to the Wings organization.

The biggest argument against Osgood is the fact that he has been known for letting in the occasional softie. People look at that as a sign of a weak goaltender, then look at the numbers which state otherwise and give credit to the defense in front of him and remain convinced he isn't stellar. I've been in this situation with Osgood a couple times, and I'm sure I'll be there again, but regardless of what kind of defense he has in front of him, when the time comes for Osgood to prove his worth he rarely lets down. I don't think he'll ever steal a Cup like Roy did for Montreal, or steal a series even, but you can't downplay his worth to the Wings organization.

With all due respect, Echo.....I'm calling BS.

They have ALL been guilty of that. ALL OF THEM!

Brodeur. Roy. Hasek. ALL OF THEM! Without exception. Every single one of them has given up some SH!T goals at the worst possible times.

The only reason that the aforementioned are not "known" for that, whereas Osgood IS.....

Is because the aforementioned have been held up as GODS in their respective cities, by THEIR respective fanbases and Media outlets, and relentlessly and vociferously defended against any and all detractors.

Rather like CuJo was in Toronto. For years. And years. And years.

Whereas the quiet guy who looks like Opie Taylor was thrown under the bus, by his own fanbase AND the local media, quicker than any outsider could possibly have come to the attack.

JUST AS HE WAS THIS YEAR, during the Regular Season.

It is ALL perception. Nothing more.

With all due respect, Echo.....I'm calling BS.

They have ALL been guilty of that. ALL OF THEM!

Brodeur. Roy. Hasek. ALL OF THEM! Without exception. Every single one of them has given up some SH!T goals at the worst possible times.

The only reason that the aforementioned are not "known" for that, whereas Osgood IS.....

Is because the aforementioned have been held up as GODS in their respective cities, by THEIR respective fanbases and Media outlets, and relentlessly and vociferously defended against any and all detractors.

Rather like CuJo was in Toronto. For years. And years. And years.

Whereas the quiet guy who looks like Opie Taylor was thrown under the bus, by his own fanbase AND the local media, quicker than any outsider could possibly have come to the attack.

JUST AS HE WAS THIS YEAR, during the Regular Season.

It is ALL perception. Nothing more.

Word!

You bring up a good point, but when Osgood was at the helm in 1998, he had a number of weak center ice goals, and a lot of people immediately started saying he was the weakest link in an otherwise flawless Red Wings lineup. The severity of those goals, I think, was exaggerated by the fact that it happened multiple times on the same run to the Cup, as well as the fact that it happened in a somewhat vulnerable time for him, having to prove himself to the fanbase and media as Vernon's equal, after Vernon played so well for the Wings the year before and helped bring a Cup to Detroit. Speaking of which, Osgood has also been overshadowed by legends throughout his career, such as Vernon and Hasek, which definitely don't help the situation, but I'm still convinced it all started back in the playoffs of 1998, and the title just stuck.

Edited by Echolalia

You bring up a good point, but when Osgood was at the helm in 1998, he had a number of weak center ice goals, and a lot of people immediately started saying he was the weakest link in an otherwise flawless Red Wings lineup. The severity of those goals, I think, was exaggerated by the fact that it happened multiple times on the same run to the Cup, as well as the fact that it happened in a somewhat vulnerable time for him, having to prove himself to the fanbase and media as Vernon's equal, after Vernon played so well for the Wings the year before and helped bring a Cup to Detroit. Speaking of which, Osgood has also been overshadowed by legends throughout his career, such as Vernon and Hasek, which definitely don't help the situation, but I'm still convinced it all started back in the playoffs of 1998, and the title just stuck.

Just as I said, Echo....

Perception. NOTHING but perception.

It'd be nice if he did get a little more credit and respect but this is nothing new. He's use to it by now. Sometimes I run across something that give him the credit he deserves but those are few and far between.

This article gives him a little respect:

Respect

Look, he made his own bed by playing like s*** during the regular season. I know he's underpaid so that's OK. Just don't ***** about it, eh?

Look, he made his own bed by playing like s*** during the regular season. I know he's underpaid so that's OK. Just don't ***** about it, eh?

Osgood has been disrespected for years, despite everything he's accomplished.

Don't even attempt to act like this is a result of his crappy 2008-2009 Regular Season. That's disingenuous.

It's been going on for years, while the guy's been steadily climbing the record books. The only difference now is that they're crapping on a TWO TIME Cup Winner who happens to be Top 10 overall in NHL History.

It's bush league, any way you slice it.

He's not paid to steal games... yet he has.

He is paid to keep the Wings in the game, so that Detroit's high-paid forwards and defensemen can win it. Which he does on a consistent basis.

Though these past two post-seasons, he is playing a hell of a lot better than anyone can expect from a $1.4m goalie.

I do not know if truer words have ever been spoken on these boards. seriously. stole them right out of my brain.

if we win every game 5-4 all the way to the cup, who cares. Ozzy has to be good enough for the wings to win, not record a shutout every night.

I often wonder what "good enough" means to people. So it's ozzies fault that detriots defense is so good that he can't show off his athletic prowess? People say luongo is better. Need I say that this better goalie let in 7 goals against the blackhawks? OF course his DEFENSE wan't there. That's right, his defense hung him out to dry. Even the great luongo coun't save the game with no defense. I don't care how good you are...2 on 0, 3 on 0, 5 on 0, you're gonna get scored on if the offense is clicking. Only so much the human body can do.

Onto Ozzie, did people forget that he jumped across the crease and robbed a duckie in game seven, first period? Give the oppertunity, the man can do the ninja like move (which in most cases people base how good a goalie is by jumping across the crease like a nija to make a save) like the elite does. Now onto having to jump across the crease like that...why do you guys think that? 95% of the time is because the goalie is out of position. Ozzie doesn't need to make these "awesome saves" because he's in position (wasn't in game seven on that shot). the other 5% is either the goalie is lucky (yes those uber saves where the goalie fudges up and hits the puck mid air to make a save is luck) or their selling it.

IMO Ozzie plays a very old school style goaltending. Kinda like Broduer, both are mostly stand up goalies, but can butterfly if need be. Look at Broduer, he doesn't look like a ninja in the crease because he's positionaly sound. Same with Ozzie.

I feel bad for the guy because not matter what, it's always the defense, not him. Last I checked Ozzie was in the crease, Ozzie made 30 saves out of 32 shots the other night...not the defense. Whatever, I hope he get's into the HOF...good enough my ass

Edited by Dynheart

No disrespect or anything, but find me a series in the last 10 years where osgood was in net and we won where we were outshot and the goalie was the difference.

No, the wings dynasty has been all about not making it about the goaltender - and that's why Ozzie won't get props. That plus sucking in the regular season.

Edited by clutchngrab

No disrespect or anything, but find me a series in the last 10 years where osgood was in net and we won being outshot.

It's not the quantity, it's the quality. A good portion of the shots that get past Detriots defense are generally good scoring chances. Look at game 2 with the ducks...we shot like 60 times against hiller...all easy point shots. Same with game 3. Look at game 4 and 5, we got in close and got dirty goals. Look at the scores on those games...hiller wasn't the elite goalie people thought then. Ozzie has to face more dangerous shots than most goalies...and most of those are due to defense colapses/brain farts.

Ozzie out played mason. Ozzie out play Hiller. Again, it's the quality of saves, not the quantity. It's amazing how people can messure a goalie and call them good by stoping 60 easy , unscreened point shots.

EDIT: Detriot has been out shot how many times in 10 years? I bet the number isn't very high. It sucks that Ozzie get's no respect because of the way detriot plays...lets shoot at the goalie jsut because. Fact is, no goaltender will. And who ever the next red wings goaltender will be, I feel bad for him already.

As far as sucking the regular season...it's like 2 or 3 seasons out of 15 years. Even the greats had offseasons. I guess your not aloud to be human and have an offseason as a red wings goalie or you will have hell to pay.

Edited by Dynheart

I think it's pretty hard to be the type of goaltender that Osgood is. The guy isn't the type of goalie who can get shelled and stand on his head, but he IS the type of goalie who can maintain focus when facing a low number of shots. He's an ideal goalie for the style of play the Wings utilize. The shots on goal this season were higher than usual, and I think most fans would agree that the defense was lacking at times. Bringing in a goaltender who needs to face tons of shots to stay "sharp" doesn't work. It hasn't worked in the past (Joseph, as a prime example).

Osgood will likely never get respect from other fans because he's not a conventional top end goalie, but I personally believe that the majority of goaltenders in the NHL don't have the mental fortitude that Ozzie does. They'd crack only facing 20 shots everyday, they'd crack for being bashed and labelled as the "weak link" all the time and they'd crack with the pressure to win that the Red Wings brass expects out of their players. There's a reason Wings fans love Ozzie and chant his name when he saves a puck, and it's because he's our type of goalie.

He's been accused of being cocky, but he's just a winner and he knows it. Chris Osgood wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence. That is all.

You know, I've never been an Osgood fan and I figured there was a reason Holland dumped him in the first place. But after reading this post I am a convert. Chris Osgood....underdog...rocks!

Cam Ward is the only goalie in the NHL I would want instead of Osgood. he has never lost a playoff series, he has a conn smythe, he has a cup, he is 4-0 in game 7s, and he always comes up big in clutch situations (except on the 3rd goal tonight, but every goalie gives up one they want back).

but on the other hand, ozzie has 3 cups, most wins in wings history, top 10 most wins in nhl history, 2-0 in game 7s and shouldve won a conn smythe last year if not for zetterbergs complete domination of crosby

so i guess out of 30 starting goalies, 60 including back ups, in my opinion when regular season and playoffs are taken into account, osgood is a close second to cam ward. too bad my opinion means nothing.

p.s. our "weakest link" is a 3 time cup winner who has been lights out for 6 straight series. i think ozzie being our weakest link should be an argument for why we repeat as cup champs!

p.p.s. this is all coming from a guy who wanted ozzie banished from all things hockey when he let up that langenbrunner goal (dont talk to me about game 7 i thought that was a fluke!) and i celebrated when the islanders picked him up off waivers! but now, after last playoffs im all over the ozzie bandwagon.

Who cares?

1. That means I am not one of a million Osgood fans

2. Two stanley cup rings

3. He is helping us to a potential third cup as a starter

He wins when it matters. That's what counts.

I still believe that Osgood is a product of the system here in Detroit. I don't think his career stats would be remotely the same had he been a product of another system. I still do believe his main issue is inconsistency BUT... He is the perfect goalie for our system, he does find a way to win (sometimes brilliantly and sometimes very ugly), he can steal the show once in a while, his key too success:when on a roll he makes important saves at the right times, he is a Detroit Red Wing in mind and spirit. Thank God he is getting the job done now after a horrible regular season!

No disrespect or anything, but find me a series in the last 10 years where osgood was in net and we won where we were outshot and the goalie was the difference.

No, the wings dynasty has been all about not making it about the goaltender - and that's why Ozzie won't get props. That plus sucking in the regular season.

Well, I guess that Brodeur guy sucks a giant dong then, because (not counting this year's playoffs, which hurt Brodeur):

Brodeur NJ Devils playoff SV%: .919

Osgood Det Red Wings playoff SV&: .920

Brodeur NJ Devils playoff GAA: 1.96

Osgood Det Red Wings playoff GAA: 2.00

Brodeur NJ Devils playoff win %: 55.7%

Osgood Det Red Wings playoff win %: 65.6%

While Brodeur has faced less shots per game on average.

Edited by Datsyerberger

Good God almighty, it is almost unfathomable that this conversation is being perpetuated on a Wings board.

Yeah, Ozzie had a s***ty season. He said he would pick it up and shine in the post-season, and he has. Would you have preferred a world-beater during the regular season and have won the all-coveted President's Cup (yawn) or have him playing the excellent hockey he is now.

Second, if you don't think Ozzie has saved several games so far for us in the post-season, you have not been watching. I've seen or attended every game and Ozzie has stuffed a lot of puck up opponent ass, particular while getting run at by every low-level trashy goon-scum from the opposition. He is unflappable.

Thirdly, I've been to many dinners and outings over the years that Ozzie has attended. He truly does not give a speck of tick-turd what people think. He makes a lot more $$$ than you, has better jewelry on his hands than you, and has his named chanted by adoring throngs at the Joe.

He truly does not give a speck of tick-turd what people think. He makes a lot more $$$ than you, has better jewelry on his hands than you, and has his named chanted by adoring throngs at the Joe.

:lol: Awesome. You're right. He's right not to care, too. Wait, I amend that: he cares very much about his game and doing the best job he can for the Wings. He and the team know that he's fine. What people say, bad or good, doesn't impact Ozzie one way or the other -- and that's what's good.

Ozzie never was and may not ever be the NHL's heart-throb, but he's perfect for Detroit right now. That's all I care about.

Well, I guess that Brodeur guy sucks a giant dong then, because (not counting this year's playoffs, which hurt Brodeur):

Brodeur NJ Devils playoff SV%: .919

Osgood Det Red Wings playoff SV&: .920

Brodeur NJ Devils playoff GAA: 1.96

Osgood Det Red Wings playoff GAA: 2.00

Brodeur NJ Devils playoff win %: 55.7%

Osgood Det Red Wings playoff win %: 65.6%

While Brodeur has faced less shots per game on average.

I really like the way this puts things in plan black and white for the haters. I am convinced that regardless of what Ozzy does and the numbers say, people will always doubt him and say he is s***. If a horrible season is finishing 3rd in the league as a team, I will take s***ty ozzy any day. I will always believe the folks that hate on ozzy and hasek and all the other goalies, I feel that they are generally fair weather and flakey fans.

Great article about Ozzy, on ESPN of all things:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/200...&id=4176419

Favorite Part:

So for 10 days in mid-February, Osgood got a break from the team. It allowed him to recharge his batteries. But being the close-knit team the Wings are, it didn't go without some ribbing from teammates.

"Guys were calling me Kovy," said Osgood with a chuckle.

That would be Alexei Kovalev, who was also sent away for a mental break by the Montreal Canadiens around the same time. Mind you, it was a much bigger story in that city given everything that happened there this season.

One night during the break, Osgood stayed behind while the Wings played in frigid Minnesota. Again, the guys wouldn't let go.

"The guys were calling me and texting me, 'Hey, what are you and Kovy doing?'" laughed Osgood. "So even when things seem as bad as they can be, they're really not that bad."

Reminds me of my friends.

Guest Shoreline

Uh, it's far more about the goaltender than you make it of. Since I've ever been a fan, the magnifying glass has been put upon a goalie, and Hockeytown is notable for being very harsh on goalies. So the fact that Ozzie is not only back, but ironically the Wings win another cup and are back in the conference finals, with the chance to repeat, is proof in the pudding that Osgood IS the s***, and haters simply don't know what the f*** they're talking about. The fact that Ozzie is accepted and cheered for on a regular basis (something that couldn't be said of Vernon or Hasek) is a welcome sign that this goalie has been accepted, which, in Detroit, is definitely an accomplishment.

Uh, it's far more about the goaltender than you make it of. Since I've ever been a fan, the magnifying glass has been put upon a goalie, and Hockeytown is notable for being very harsh on goalies. So the fact that Ozzie is not only back, but ironically the Wings win another cup and are back in the conference finals, with the chance to repeat, is proof in the pudding that Osgood IS the s***, and haters simply don't know what the f*** they're talking about. The fact that Ozzie is accepted and cheered for on a regular basis (something that couldn't be said of Vernon or Hasek) is a welcome sign that this goalie has been accepted, which, in Detroit, is definitely an accomplishment.

Agreed... Ozzy IS the s***. But that article clearly shows that fans concerns about him during the regular season weren't unfounded. Holland had to basically rip his ass and dismiss him for a weak to wake him up. According to Osgood, he was as concerned about his play as anyone.

That Kovy s*** is hilarious.

Edited by Broken 16