• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Jake Ryan

Jake Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:44 PM

I think the Wings could easily get 5 more years out of him if they pair him with Ericsson. He's not quite as fast as he once was, but he's still the best all around defenseman in the game. Do you think we'll lose him after next year? I'm more concerned about his contract than Hossa's.

#2 sean

sean

Rookie

• Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:49 PM

Lids isn't going anywhere, unless it's retirement.

Just like a bunch of others on the current roster, the rest of his career is predicated on whether or not he wants to retire on top (as in, 1st pairing), or play an obviously reduced role, like Chelios. If I had to guess, I say he retires on top.
what

#3 Red Winged

Red Winged

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 70 posts

lose lidstrom? he's the captain. the only place he'd go is retirement. if we win this year i think he will come back for a try at a 3 peat after that who knows...

1936, 1937, 1943, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2008

#4 grindlinelove

grindlinelove

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 387 posts

Man, that's a funny question considering he's once again a finalist for the Norris. He's not fast, but the chances he can create from the blue line are awsome. Look at all those assists. Thos plays need to be created from somewhere.
I'm not even touching his defensive skills.

#5 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:50 PM

Anyone think he's the type who can adjust easily to playing third-pairing minutes?

#6 Red Winged

Red Winged

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:51 PM

No. I think he is all or nothing. Rightfully so.

1936, 1937, 1943, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2008

#7 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:52 PM

i honestly dont know.

does anyone know of Lidstrom saying anything about how much longer he wants to go rather than me just guessing?

#8 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (Red Winged @ May 19, 2009 - 12:51AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. I think he is all or nothing. Rightfully so.

Yeah me too. He gets a lot of joy and pride out of playing big minutes. It's really hard to let go of an elite defenseman status into a top-six guy who only plays 10 minutes. Nick said it himself, he's no Chelios.

#9 Jake Ryan

Jake Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE (titanium2 @ May 18, 2009 - 09:53PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah me too. He gets a lot of joy and pride out of playing big minutes. It's really hard to let go of an elite defenseman status into a top-six guy who only plays 10 minutes. Nick said it himself, he's no Chelios.

And let's thank the Lord that there aren't two Chris Chelios's. One is annoying enough!

#10 Vladiator

Vladiator

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:16 AM

Nick will play until he can't play to the level of a top 2 D. He'll know and he'll either retire or take a big discount on another contract to let the kids move into the system without a big cap hit.

#11 RedStormRising

RedStormRising

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:31 AM

Probably just me, but I think his time is coming up pretty soon. At times he looks incredibly sluggish out there. Yes, he makes up with it with his stick work right now, but soon enough that won't make up for his lack of mobility. I just hope he doesn't pull a Chelios and goes out on top at the right time.

#12 grindlinelove

grindlinelove

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:34 AM

No joke. It will be odd not seeing number five back there, and instead in the rafters.

#13 arnoldbuck

arnoldbuck

Can you see the Shooter!?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:24 AM

I was upset when Feds left. I was devistated when Yzerman retired. I was hurt when Shanny took off. But I am scared for when Lids hangs them up. I know we have a lot of fantastic players ... but even a slowly declining Lids brings a steady, undeniable force to our team ... which I feel will never truly be replaced.

No Matter How Many Fish in the Sea ... It'll be So Empty Without Me
I'm a lover, not a fighter. But I'm also a fighter, so don't get any idea's.

#14 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:23 AM

I don't think he will retire until they found a replacement that is almost as good as him... if he would just retire right away after next year that would not be very professional to the red wings...

#15 BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool

Lets get Schlitz faced!

• PipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE (mindfly @ May 19, 2009 - 05:23AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think he will retire until they found a replacement that is almost as good as him... if he would just retire right away after next year that would not be very professional to the red wings...

I guess he won't be retiring anytime soon then! biggrin.gif Go Lids!
LETS GO RED WINGS!

#16 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:39 AM

QUOTE (arnoldbuck @ May 19, 2009 - 09:24AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was upset when Feds left. I was devistated when Yzerman retired. I was hurt when Shanny took off. But I am scared for when Lids hangs them up. I know we have a lot of fantastic players ... but even a slowly declining Lids brings a steady, undeniable force to our team ... which I feel will never truly be replaced.

Yup. Lidstrom's departure will have major impact on this team. When Steve Y left he was 3rd liner, Shanny and Feds were not that good anymore either. But Lidstrom is still the best defenseman on this team and no one is really close. I think he will retire as soon as he feels he cannot be no.1 defenseman anymore.

#17 MrSandMan

MrSandMan

1st Line Sniper

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:41 AM

Indeed, the thought of Lids not on the team is scary. How do we replace someone like him? You can't. When he goes, Wings become more average. Lids is simply amazing, I consider him the "Gretzky" of Defensemen with superior character and honor.
X X X X - X X X X - X X O O - O O O O

The road to the Stanley Cup runs thru HockeyTown!

Show no mercy, leave no doubt!

#18 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:43 AM

QUOTE (mindfly @ May 19, 2009 - 12:23PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think he will retire until they found a replacement that is almost as good as him...

The only "replacement" they could find if he retires after next season is an elite goaltender, Luongo maybe.

#19 vangvace

vangvace

no such thing as overkill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE (dat's sick @ May 19, 2009 - 07:43AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only "replacement" they could find if he retires after next season is an elite goaltender, Luongo maybe.

I'm not sure I would call Luongo elite.
I make 1 or 2 posts a week tops. Sometimes they're gold, sometimes they're crap, but the end weight is the same.

http://www.letsgowin...tion=boardrules

#20 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE (dat's sick @ May 19, 2009 - 06:43AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I want no part of Luongo or any other $5M+ goaltender. We'd just be pissing money away. No goalie can win without a great team in front of him. And if you've got a great team you don't need a "great" (see also expensive) goalie. You just need one that won't lose a game for you. Luongo lost a couple these playoffs. Osgood hasn't.

The only replacement for Lidstrom is a defenseman that can control all 3 zones for a lot of minutes. The single best option in the league (taking into account age as it's pointless to replace Nick in 2-3 years by a guy that will be running on fumes then as well) is Jay Bouwmeester. Very close is Duncan Keith. I'm also very high on Marc-Edouard Vlasic but I want to see if he can develop some more as he's still ridiculously young.

Posted Image