• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jake Ryan

How Much Does Lidstrom Have Left

Rate this topic

I think the Wings could easily get 5 more years out of him if they pair him with Ericsson. He's not quite as fast as he once was, but he's still the best all around defenseman in the game. Do you think we'll lose him after next year? I'm more concerned about his contract than Hossa's.

Lids isn't going anywhere, unless it's retirement.

Just like a bunch of others on the current roster, the rest of his career is predicated on whether or not he wants to retire on top (as in, 1st pairing), or play an obviously reduced role, like Chelios. If I had to guess, I say he retires on top.

Man, that's a funny question considering he's once again a finalist for the Norris. He's not fast, but the chances he can create from the blue line are awsome. Look at all those assists. Thos plays need to be created from somewhere.

I'm not even touching his defensive skills.

No. I think he is all or nothing. Rightfully so.

Yeah me too. He gets a lot of joy and pride out of playing big minutes. It's really hard to let go of an elite defenseman status into a top-six guy who only plays 10 minutes. Nick said it himself, he's no Chelios.

Yeah me too. He gets a lot of joy and pride out of playing big minutes. It's really hard to let go of an elite defenseman status into a top-six guy who only plays 10 minutes. Nick said it himself, he's no Chelios.

And let's thank the Lord that there aren't two Chris Chelios's. One is annoying enough!

Nick will play until he can't play to the level of a top 2 D. He'll know and he'll either retire or take a big discount on another contract to let the kids move into the system without a big cap hit.

Probably just me, but I think his time is coming up pretty soon. At times he looks incredibly sluggish out there. Yes, he makes up with it with his stick work right now, but soon enough that won't make up for his lack of mobility. I just hope he doesn't pull a Chelios and goes out on top at the right time.

I was upset when Feds left. I was devistated when Yzerman retired. I was hurt when Shanny took off. But I am scared for when Lids hangs them up. I know we have a lot of fantastic players ... but even a slowly declining Lids brings a steady, undeniable force to our team ... which I feel will never truly be replaced.

Guest mindfly

I don't think he will retire until they found a replacement that is almost as good as him... if he would just retire right away after next year that would not be very professional to the red wings...

I don't think he will retire until they found a replacement that is almost as good as him... if he would just retire right away after next year that would not be very professional to the red wings...

I guess he won't be retiring anytime soon then! :D Go Lids!

I was upset when Feds left. I was devistated when Yzerman retired. I was hurt when Shanny took off. But I am scared for when Lids hangs them up. I know we have a lot of fantastic players ... but even a slowly declining Lids brings a steady, undeniable force to our team ... which I feel will never truly be replaced.

Yup. Lidstrom's departure will have major impact on this team. When Steve Y left he was 3rd liner, Shanny and Feds were not that good anymore either. But Lidstrom is still the best defenseman on this team and no one is really close. I think he will retire as soon as he feels he cannot be no.1 defenseman anymore.

Guest MrSandMan

Indeed, the thought of Lids not on the team is scary. How do we replace someone like him? You can't. When he goes, Wings become more average. Lids is simply amazing, I consider him the "Gretzky" of Defensemen with superior character and honor.

I don't think he will retire until they found a replacement that is almost as good as him...

The only "replacement" they could find if he retires after next season is an elite goaltender, Luongo maybe.

The only "replacement" they could find if he retires after next season is an elite goaltender, Luongo maybe.

I want no part of Luongo or any other $5M+ goaltender. We'd just be pissing money away. No goalie can win without a great team in front of him. And if you've got a great team you don't need a "great" (see also expensive) goalie. You just need one that won't lose a game for you. Luongo lost a couple these playoffs. Osgood hasn't.

The only replacement for Lidstrom is a defenseman that can control all 3 zones for a lot of minutes. The single best option in the league (taking into account age as it's pointless to replace Nick in 2-3 years by a guy that will be running on fumes then as well) is Jay Bouwmeester. Very close is Duncan Keith. I'm also very high on Marc-Edouard Vlasic but I want to see if he can develop some more as he's still ridiculously young.

While agree he has certainly lost a step, sometimes leaving him out of postion, he is still one of the best in the entire league. I think barring injury he has a couple more good years. We really need to pair him with the up and coming youngers; he has been a great mentor.

I dont think Lids is going anywhere any time soon. Im sure he will retire as a Red wing. I honestly think he has a good 3 years or so left in him. I also have faith that he will remain one of, if not the best D-man in the NHL till he does decide to call it quits. Its going to be so strange to see a Wings team without #5 back there. Im so not looking foward to that...