• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
dawings1905

Next Season: Hossa vs. Depth//Merged

Rate this topic

With the way our depth stepped up tonight, the question that has been raised on here a thousand times, just got a little more interesting......Should they, or shouldn't they resign hossa? Do I need to explain this any further? Opinions anyone?

Hossa has been one of my favorite Wings this year, the way he has come in and produced has been amazing. If the numbers adds up in the end then I would love to keep him, but I don't count on him being a Wing next year. Would love for him to get to win this cup though, not only as a Detroit fan but for the work ethic and morale he has shown he is definitely worth it.

Did anyone catch the interview with him before the game when they asked him something like "Coming to Detroit to win the cup would losing this game spoil it all?" or something similar. Anyone else hoped he would drop a bomb saying that there will always be the next year with the Wings?

This should probably be merged or something but good question. It looks like the only way you can sign him is to a long term deal like Franzen. But what if he turns out to be a Robert Lang in the playoffs? It's risky and he takes up a lot of cap space. I think we should sign him though. The Wings know very well how good he was in the Pittsburgh series last year and he is really good defensively. He led the team in goals this season and he is a big body. He understands the game and makes players around him better. Hudler and Samuelsson are really good in the playoffs though, so if Kenny can sign those three then I think it is a good idea.

EDIT: Hossa has been playing in the Eastern conference playoffs his whole career. The West is known for it's goony more physical teams, this is Hossa's first time playing a real goony team in playoff hockey.

Edited by Zetterling

we did it without him before we can do it without him again. Mostly all the peices are still here that made that happen however those peices wont be if we resign him some will have to go as Holland has said.

In a way its sort of like loosing your job to some new machine.

The way I think Holland should go about this is ask himself who he wants back thats contracts are up, work on those then work on this guys.

I love Hossa and think he's a great fit for our team. I don't really want to lose anyone but, I doubt we'll sacrifice anyone substantial to keep him. If he's willing to take less money to stay we have to keep him. He's too good to let him slip away.

sign if he is willing to except a reasonable long term contract... if he is going to ask market price, wings can't afford it with all the other players they have... would be great to have, he is a fantastic player...

Hossa has been one of my favorite Wings this year, the way he has come in and produced has been amazing. If the numbers adds up in the end then I would love to keep him, but I don't count on him being a Wing next year. Would love for him to get to win this cup though, not only as a Detroit fan but for the work ethic and morale he has shown he is definitely worth it.

Did anyone catch the interview with him before the game when they asked him something like "Coming to Detroit to win the cup would losing this game spoil it all?" or something similar. Anyone else hoped he would drop a bomb saying that there will always be the next year with the Wings?

THIS

I think the price tag just doesn't justify keeping Hossa and maxing ourselves out in the cap, only to loose an incredibly productive Hudler (who I still don't think has reached his potential yet and will only get better...) AND probably have to trade Fil, who has been AMAZING in these playoffs...

Fill in a couple roster spots with young guys, let Kopecky walk, trade Lebda, bring in Howard

this looks good to me

Roster and Cap for next year

What if Hossa doesn't want to play here? He came here because Detroit was his best chance to win the cup. If he wins, maybe he'll decide it's time to cash in. if he doesn't maybe he'll decide it's time to cash it. He only promised us 1 year. Yeah I know he said he wants to stay and play in Detroit but would he really say "I don't really want to be here, I just want to win a cup and then I'm gone." Players always say they want to stay where they are because they don't want to be heted by their own fans.

i mean, don't get me wrong, i love hossa, but i think the ducks series really showed us that this team thrives off of depth, not having a few really big guns (which is obviously what the ducks are). if keeping hossa means not signing hudler, losing leino, and trading filppula, i just don't think it's a good idea. of course, if hossa has a monster series against chicago, we'll all probably be singing a different tune.

I love having Hudler around, the guy will be a beast next year. Depth is extraordinarily important, but having "depth" like Hossa, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, etc. is even better. I'm sure there's a way to keep Hudler and Hossa. And yes, Kopecky should be sent packing.

Where i dont think Hudler will ever reach the skill that Hossa has in the goal scoring category (i just dont think he has the confidence to be a 40 goal scorer) i think keeping Hudler at a reasonable price is a better idea than signing hossa at an extraordinary price. Ill take a 30 goal scorer at 4 mil or so over a 40 goal scorer at 8 million. Doubling the price for 10 extra goals isnt worth it to me. HOWEVER, i love Hossa and think he looks just awesome in a wings uniform and plays our style of hockey and i would love to keep him. If Hossa takes a nice hometown discount and signs a contract like franzen and Z where its heavy on one side light on the other, id be fine with that because it would let us keep a guy like Hudler too. I just dont know how realistic that is though....But i dont think we can lose either way, i just think one move is a little smarter than the other.

Keeping Hossa would be an epic mistake by Holland. Cap pressure will come to play in the year after next and it would make us so inflexible a few years out and would certainly negatively impact depth. We won without Hossa, we can certainly build another solid team without him.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but it would be a mistake to tie up so much money in long term contracts with the economic and cap uncertainty.

Keeping Hossa would be an epic mistake by Holland. Cap pressure will come to play in the year after next and it would make us so inflexible a few years out and would certainly negatively impact depth. We won without Hossa, we can certainly build another solid team without him.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but it would be a mistake to tie up so much money in long term contracts with the economic and cap uncertainty.

I'm in the EXACT same boat, I love Hoss, but it doesn't make sense from a cap standpoint, or what you'd lose in exchange to keep him

Sign him to a Franzen-esque deal and bring the kids up.

Yeah....that should be no problem for Holland. /sarcasm

While I salivate at the thought of Hossa taking a decent paycut to remain a Red Wing we as fans have to be more realistic. The guy was the leading goal-scorer for the Wings in the regular season and turned down a reported 9-year/$81 million offer from Edmonton. Do you really think Holland could get him to sign for *under* $4 million per even if it was long-term?

I think the price tag just doesn't justify keeping Hossa and maxing ourselves out in the cap, only to loose an incredibly productive Hudler (who I still don't think has reached his potential yet and will only get better...) AND probably have to trade Fil, who has been AMAZING in these playoffs...

Fill in a couple roster spots with young guys, let Kopecky walk, trade Lebda, bring in Howard

this looks good to me

Roster and Cap for next year

I think Hudler would get more than the $1 mil you have him making. I mean, we gave Filpulla $3 mil.

Hossa would have to take a real hometown discount to stay here and not push the Wings too close to the cap; something like $20M for 5 years: yeah, it would have to be that crazy. He's done crazy before, so here's hoping. Looking at our depth chart however, if we re-sign Leino, we have him, Helm, Howard, and Ericsson up full time next season to replace Chelios, Conklin, Samuelsson, and Kopecky.

Beyond that it's a choice between Hossa and Hudler. If Ken elects to retain Hudler, he will still have a fair amount of money to sign a replacement for Hossa. If he chooses Hossa over Hudler, he's real close to the cap and might not have the same amount of depth, although we'd still be very deep.

I want Hossa to stay, but on my selfish terms not his.

i think at some point we have to stop with the super-long-term, front-loaded contracts. while i haven't had any problems with any of the deals thus far, one more 10-year deal worth 6+ million per is going to make it really difficult on us in the future, i think.

i'd just hate to see us in a situation in 10 years where we have a bunch of aging vets taking up huge chunks of the salary and then losing our promising young talent because we can't afford to sign the leinos and helms of tomorrow, you know? we are already in danger of that, and i think another huge contract could put us at serious risk. just my humble opinion.

I think Hudler would get more than the $1 mil you have him making. I mean, we gave Filpulla $3 mil.

agreed... I just left it as is, but even that's against the cap - just further proves that you can't keep both of them...