• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ScubaV

Wings MVP so far?

Rate this topic

It's gotta be Franzen or Osgood in my mind. Our other big stars are nonexistant offensively and our secondary scorers while coming up big, don't have the raw numbers. I'm gonna say Osgood. He's bailed out the defense many times and kept us in minutes/periods/games we didn't deserve to be in.

Lidstrom and Franzen are so far ahead of the rest it's not funny. If the Conn Smythe were ahead last night and anyone other than those two got it, it would be a travesty. If I had to choose one though, it'd be Lidstrom and to me, it's a pretty obvious choice.

1. Osgood - What can you say. He's the man.

2. Lidstrom - Put in Cheli or Meech instead of Lids and this team would be in serious trouble.

3. Franzen - With Hossa and Datsyuk struggling, Franzen playing this good has been huge.

Honorable mention: Z. Always brilliant defensively and he has produced offensively as well. EN goals are goals too.

Lidstrom easily.

Mule 2nd, Cleary 3rd.

Yea Lidstrom is playing great but that is what I expect from him... he is after all the best DefenseMan in Hockey.

Cleary stepped up huge this playoff year... So I pick him as our MVP

The Mule, well this is what we as wings fan expect out of this super human this time of year.

Zetterberg, Cleary and Lidstrom have been great in this playoff season, but Franzen is the MVP so far. It seems like everytime the Wings need a goal, he gets it. And every time he scores, I just think to myself, "$3.9 mil cap hit for life. Whooo hoo!"

How is it Lidstrom easily and not even close? He saved our bacon in game one against the Ducks, but after that he's played "just" aweseom, not super-fantabulously great liek Franzen has.

Franzen is my choice with Ozzie at a close second and an even closer third to Cleary who has been dy-no-mite!

Osgood, easily. He's been standing on his head.

In what games? Osgood has been very good, solid. But MVP? No way. It's not like he had to steal a game yet.

Lidstrom is playing against the very best players opposition has to offer and he is pretty good at that. Without him our defense sucks.

Defense that sucks = bye bye playoffs

I know it is very easy to overlook Lidstrom's game, but he is the reason Wings are only 6 wins from another Cup.

Edited by Reds4Life

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Sheesh, it's no wonder Osgood gets no respect around the league. There better not be another "boo hoo nobody respects Oz" thread around here ever because as Wings fans, we're driving the ******* bus in that regard.

Oz is way down the list of my favorite Wings players. Nothing against him I just am not a goalie guy. But I know one thing. He's been absolutely brilliant.

Notables in no particular order

Lidstrom-even though the Getzlaf line still generated, Nick had a good series

Franzen-strong offensive presence entire playoffs

Cleary-strong two-way play and elevated offense lately

Zetterberg-strong two-way play

I'd still pick Osgood right now. He's just been fantastic.

10-3 2.04GAA 9.24Save%

aside from last season, these are pretty much the best post season numbers he's had. He's been stellar making huge saves. Making the easy saves. Just a couple of gaffs but the numbers and play have been rock solid.

How is it Lidstrom easily and not even close? He saved our bacon in game one against the Ducks, but after that he's played "just" aweseom, not super-fantabulously great liek Franzen has.

Franzen is my choice with Ozzie at a close second and an even closer third to Cleary who has been dy-no-mite!

Other than the last 3 games in which he has been fantastic, Cleary has been "just" good.

I can promise you this team would be in bigger trouble if Lids got hurt than if Cleary got hurt.

The last Conn Smythe winning goalie, Ward, posted:

.920 SV%

2.14 GAA

2 Shutouts

15-8 record

While facing 25.3 shots a game.

Last year, Ozzie posted:

.930 SV%

1.55 GAA

3 SO

14-4 record

But only faced 22.6 shots a game, so you have to think that factored in along with Zetterberg's excellent play in Zetterberg taking the Smythe. That, and the media is a downer on Ozzie.

This year so far, Ozzie has:

.925 SV%

2.04 GAA

1 SO

10-3 record

While facing 28 or so shots a game. Thus far, better than Ward's Conn Smythe performance. And anyone who's watched the games know Osgood is having to make some quality stops, not just garbage.

Thus far, my order:

Osgood - Keeping the Wings at around 2 GA when the rest of them are slacking.

Franzen - 18 points/13 games. 9 of them goals.

Lidstrom - 12 points/13 games. Shutting people the f*** down

(space)

Cleary - Playoff +/- leader, working his ass off and generating offense.

(space)

Whoever else

Right now, Ward is holding at:

.926 SV%

2.28 GAA

2 SO

8-7 record

31 shots/game

If it ends up Wings - Canes for the SCF, you've got to think there's a Conn Smythe goaltender battle in that matchup.

Edited by Datsyerberger