• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
EMALKIN

Your thoughts on Alex Ovechkin....

Rate this topic

Just curious guys...

When it's all said and done... do you think Ovechkin will have as many Hart and Art Ross Trophys at Crosby?

Personally...i dont think ovechkin is a complete player...

Your guys thoughts?

Also... Malkin v Crosby v Ovechkin....who would you guys want on your team if you had to start it from scratch?

Ovechkin is better then Crosby in every aspect of the game, Crosby has a better team and a hungrier team. Malkin will most likely win the Hart Trophy. If Malkin was playing with Ovechkin then Pitts would not be in the playoffs right now.

P.S Ovechkin hits ppl when HE has the puck, Crosby is a mosquito and does not play a physical game. Crosby is a great player but Ovechkin is much better.

Let's stay on track here folks. Please discuss the topic at hand, rather than question if a Pens fan should be posting on a Red Wings forum.

IMO, I think Ovie is a more complete player than Crosby is. But that's just it, it's MY opinion. Take that for what it's worth.

Not to say Crosby isn't amazingly talented, but I think if I were to build my team around a player at this point in their careers, I'd pick AO before Crosby.

Just curious guys...

When it's all said and done... do you think Ovechkin will have as many Hart and Art Ross Trophys at Crosby?

Personally...i dont think ovechkin is a complete player...

Your guys thoughts?

Also... Malkin v Crosby v Ovechkin....who would you guys want on your team if you had to start it from scratch?

Ovechkin's racking up more awards than Malkin and Crosby combined. It's hard to assume he'll suddenly start to blow hard. the dude's averaged 60 goals a season over the last two years. And like Crosby, he's only going to get better before he gets any worse.

Complete player? Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin...

--> None provide a significant PK force- they won't be assigned to shut anyone down out there. None of them are even above average defensively on their own team (don't go saying Malkin's 94 take aways are big s*** when he had 81 give aways, easily the worse take-away to give-away ratio among the leaders in take-aways, Datsyuk had 39 more takes than gives, for example).

--> Only one of them is a feared checker. Alex is known to deliver heavy, heavy hits and do it often.

So what elements do we have in hockey, at the most basic level:

--> Offense (Obviously all three are highly, highly elite offensively... like stupidly good at putting up points)

--> Defense (All three are average at best, you can't say you're complete when your defensive game is so comparatively low)

--> Physical Play (Ovi wins this hands down. Malkin hits, yeah, but he's not terribly physical overall)

--> Competitive edge (Crosby's competitive drive can't be questioned after the Pens-Caps series, Ovi's is right up there too, but I have to give the edge to the guy who won head to head against the other. Malkin's not beating Crosby out in a spirit competition)

--> And much less importantly for this discussion: Fighting (None of the three win this, but Malkin's sweet drum solo fighting style wins it if only for the entertainment value)

So, in summary, none of the three are complete. I'd give the edge to Ovechkin because he's so good physically and has such a strong competitive drive. If Crosby could lay people out like Ovi his competitive edge could've knocked Ovi out. One other note is that I'm impressed how Crosby improved his face-off ability over the summer. He's gotten much better in the circle over the last year.

It's interesting that so many people throw the label "complete" around. I know a guy that swears Iginla is the most complete player in the game because he's an elite scorer and fights on occasion.

To me there are two main components of hockey: scoring and not getting scored on. That's offense and defense. How can you use the word "complete" without fulfilling both aspects of hockey?

A guy like Datsyuk is "complete". Nominated for the Selke, Hart, Pearson and Lady Byng. You just can't get more complete than that. To be considered one the top defensive forward AND one of the top 3 or 4 offensive forwards in the game? Simply amazing. Strong defensive play really does take an amazing level of concentration, exersion and committment. There's zero doubt that a guy like Datsyuk could stop skating and pressuring people across the rink on the backcheck, stopped logging so many critical pk minutes (as in not the last 15 seconds of each PK :P ), he could put that effort into scoring more. What else would he focus on? Doing sweet origami on the bench?

Personally, I think Alex Ovechkin is freakin awesome. He's more complete player than Crosby and AO is a true leader. His teammates respect him and they seem like they have a lot more fun out there. If Caps had better goaltending, Pens would already be golfing.

I didn't mention Malkin because he is notorious for disappearing during SCFs...

This thread is much less fun sans vitriol. :D

Probably if Ovechkin keeps going full bore like he is now his career won't be as long (or he just won't be as good as long) as Crosby or Malkin, so that puts his chances at accruing more awards in jeopardy, but all things being equal I'd pick Ovechkin to win any major award ahead of Malkin or Crosby, but not by an appreciably large amount. I'm sure the Hart and Ross will change hands between them more than once, although AO's obviously got his paws on the Richard for the foreseeable future.

This thread is much less fun sans vitriol. :D

Probably if Ovechkin keeps going full bore like he is now his career won't be as long (or he just won't be as good as long) as Crosby or Malkin, so that puts his chances at accruing more awards in jeopardy, but all things being equal I'd pick Ovechkin to win any major award ahead of Malkin or Crosby, but not by an appreciably large amount. I'm sure the Hart and Ross will change hands between them more than once, although AO's obviously got his paws on the Richard for the foreseeable future.

Not if Helm has anything to say about it! :sly:

They're so hard to rate 1-2-3 because you feel bad putting any one of them in third place. If I were building a team, I'd pick Ovechkin first, then Malkin, then Crosby. How can you argue with picking a guy who is able to rack up more than half of his points in goals, while coming in 3 points behind the league leader (with a point per game pace higher, missing those three games due to a sick family member)?

Also, he's got twice as many shots as the other two do! Many people use that against Ovechkin, with the argument that, "anyone could score that many goals if they shot as much as he does!" but that's simply not true. How many players in the league can, all by themselves, generate 528 shots on goal? One. The next closest comes in right around 370. I believe it was Gretzky that said that you miss all of the shots you don't take (someone tell Flip).

So what elements do we have in hockey, at the most basic level:

--> Offense (Obviously all three are highly, highly elite offensively... like stupidly good at putting up points)

--> Defense (All three are average at best, you can't say you're complete when your defensive game is so comparatively low)

--> Physical Play (Ovi wins this hands down. Malkin hits, yeah, but he's not terribly physical overall)

--> Competitive edge (Crosby's competitive drive can't be questioned after the Pens-Caps series, Ovi's is right up there too, but I have to give the edge to the guy who won head to head against the other. Malkin's not beating Crosby out in a spirit competition)

--> And much less importantly for this discussion: Fighting (None of the three win this, but Malkin's sweet drum solo fighting style wins it if only for the entertainment value)

I think that you're thinking about Alexandra Semin and her amazing bongo concert (using the well known M. Staal drums): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7PnpWfDJpY

Malkin has 28 points and is a +3.. he's not close to being a complete player.

Neither is Ovechkin or Crosby, although Sid is the closest to getting there.

Logically Ovie should win more Hart trophies than Malkin and Crosby, just because he's the lone real superstar on his team.

Who knows about the Art Ross. It's so much depending on who stays healthy the most.

Ovechkin is awesome and a great all-around player. I would take him in a heartbeat on any team. He is amazing! Malkin is a good scorer but kinda one-dimensional and Crosby?? well .... someday he will grow up and then ask me.

Are you guys kidding about Ovechkin being a complete player? I would argue, of the three, he plays the least defense. In fact, you'll often see him floating around the blue line for a pass, even when the other team is applying pressure. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy; he's the most fun to watch, he's the best goal scorer, and he's the only one of the three that has a definite physical edge, but he is by NO means a complete player.

Ovechkin is the best GOAL SCORER...but that's it. I can't believe I even wasted my time reading what you guys had to write...wow. Ovechkin is complete??? WTF are you watching?? He is the most selfish player in the NHL. Wow. You guys aren't fans and clearly you just dont like Crosby. Anyway...Crosby will run you over in the cup.

Good DAY

Ovechkin is the best GOAL SCORER...but that's it. I can't believe I even wasted my time reading what you guys had to write...wow. Ovechkin is complete??? WTF are you watching?? He is the most selfish player in the NHL. Wow. You guys aren't fans and clearly you just dont like Crosby. Anyway...Crosby will run you over in the cup.

Good DAY

Like he did last year, right? Crosby is a pathetic excuse as a hockey player. He should have been a ballerina instead. People would appreciate his crying and pink spandex in that sport.

Your team is only playing well because your against a tired team with no defense and a cold goalie.

Good DAY

article_16473_2.jpg

Yeah just like he did last time...