• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nightfall

Fedorov to join KHL

Rate this topic

My 2nd favorite player ever, and a guy who should have finished his career in Detroit.

I sense a Fedorov Hall of Famer thread coming soon. :D

He would be the third and probably the last of the Russian Five to get into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Slava Fetisov and Igor Larionvo are already in. Slava Koslov isn't racking up enough points these days with the Thashers to end up with HOF numbers. I bet #16 would have made it if not for the terrible accident. Nick Lidstrom might not have all those Norris Throphy's as well if Vladdy was still playing.

My favorite player of all-time. I'm going to miss seeing him in the NHL.

Thanks for the memories and best of luck.

I agree 100%.

Really going to miss not seeing him in the NHL. I do agree that he is making a good move for him. He probably wants to play with his brother again and as Scott Neidermeyer found out, its fun to play with your siblings.

lol feds had two good seasons. wish him the best.

Almost a point per game average over the course of his career. I think he had more than just 2 good seasons. There are a lot of players out there that would love those numbers.

Whoever said that Fedorov was the prototype for today's NHL player is absolutely correct. Fedorov was the perfect transition from 80's/Gretzky hockey where goaltenders were pencils and defense was nonexistant to modern day hockey where goaltenders are telephone polls and defense is the name of the game. It's funny to think about what Fedorov would have looked like going up against the 1982 New York Islanders and what Wayne Gretzky would look like going up against the 2008 Detroit Red Wings. I'm not so sure Wayne Gretzky would be as dominant in today's NHL as he was in his time. I'm pretty sure, though, that Fedorov in his prime would fit into any NHL era.

Whoever said that Fedorov was the prototype for today's NHL player is absolutely correct. Fedorov was the perfect transition from 80's/Gretzky hockey where goaltenders were pencils and defense was nonexistant to modern day hockey where goaltenders are telephone polls and defense is the name of the game. It's funny to think about what Fedorov would have looked like going up against the 1982 New York Islanders and what Wayne Gretzky would look like going up against the 2008 Detroit Red Wings. I'm not so sure Wayne Gretzky would be as dominant in today's NHL as he was in his time. I'm pretty sure, though, that Fedorov in his prime would fit into any NHL era.

absofreakinloutley...

We'll always have the memories.

To those talking about Fedorov's numbers: his game was about so much more. He was a two-way forward - he had to be to get playing time in Red Wings. He even played in D position for big parts of seasons. He also shared the number one centerman duties with Yzerman and that cut his ice time a bit. I guess his numbers show that he wasn't always effective... Still, when he was hot he was magic. He was kind of like the Datsyuk and Zetterberg of 90's.

We'll always have the memories.

To those talking about Fedorov's numbers: his game was about so much more. He was a two-way forward - he had to be to get playing time in Red Wings. He even played in D position for big parts of seasons. He also shared the number one centerman duties with Yzerman and that cut his ice time a bit. I guess his numbers show that he wasn't always effective... Still, when he was hot he was magic. He was kind of like the Datsyuk and Zetterberg of 90's.

Aww man I sooo miss those commercials. That was a great one and it still cracks me up to this day. I'm trying to attach a video but I'm not sure if it'll work.... rats.. it didnt...

Edited by Rocket Queen 30

excellent post.

his all-around game is what made him great and earned us those cups in 97 and 98. i don't think he earns to have his number up in the rafters, but his impact was great in detroit.

and you have to remember...he has a great mug shot.

fedorov_s.jpg

Wow....just, wow.

I remember when he defected. There was some scary stuff leading up to it. Threats from Tikhonov and his mob of Soviet goons.

It never occurred to me that he'd ever want to go back!

His parents live in Florida now, and that Putin character is just plain scary.

I'm stunned.

Well, good luck, Sergei, I hope things go well for you and Fedor. You'll always be a Wing to us!

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here that's still bitter. I try not to be, and I know it was years ago now. But I can't let it go...I just can't..The pictures, the jersey's I have of him, all that still lay around in the basement.

I don't know, maybe someday I won't act like a 4 year old lol.

it honestly seems like yesterday...Sergei Fedorov hockey camp! i was 9-10yrs old and i remember Sergei trying to help me refine my slapshot and he could barely speak a word of english. anyways, we're gonna miss you! one of the most talented guys to ever lace up skates. and the people who used to boo you at the joe can go f*** themselves.

He still has a couple foundations in Detroit as well from all the money he deferred during that hold-out. People say he's a traitor and what not and that he had a huge ego, but that isn't even true. I promise you that if you knew the reasons why (or at least did 10 seconds of research via google) he left the Wings in the first place you wouldn't be conforming to this monkey see monkey do attitude that seems to have being plastered in the minds of LGW and Red Wings fans.

Long live Fedorov, he's the reason I learned Russian :)

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Sergei is the prototype of the players we have today. Hopefully his contributions aren't forgotten when jersey hangin' time comes.

That ship has sailed bub.

SWEET JESUS, HALLELUJAH! With Fedorov no longer in the NHL, could it possibly mean that there will be almost no "Kenny, trade x for Fedorov threads"! If so, then it is truly an early Christmas.

Best of luck to Fedorov, I hope he enjoys playing the game over there. Hopefully he can have some fun with it.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
He still has a couple foundations in Detroit as well from all the money he deferred during that hold-out. People say he's a traitor and what not and that he had a huge ego, but that isn't even true. I promise you that if you knew the reasons why (or at least did 10 seconds of research via google) he left the Wings in the first place you wouldn't be conforming to this monkey see monkey do attitude that seems to have being plastered in the minds of LGW and Red Wings fans.

Long live Fedorov, he's the reason I learned Russian :)

It's hard to take anything else away from what you're saying when one of the fundamental friggin' facts is so totally incorrect. If you think Sergei Fedorov didn't have an ego, then you are so far behind the curve we'd all have to stop and wait an eternity for you to catch your slow ass up.

It's one thing to haggle over whether he should be considered a traitor. It's another to ignore all the great things he did and continues to do in Detroit. BUT, it's a completely different thing to let your hard on for Fedorov cloud your reason to the point you start blathering nonsense about the guy not having an ego. Fedorov had a huge ego. Compared to many hockey players, he had one of the biggest freaking egos I ever saw or heard of. To his credit, he didn't let it take control of his play on the ice (most of the time). But regardless, he most certainly had a big ego.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted