• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mindfly

Caps players on Steroids?

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

Originally from: http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/may/26/au.../news-breaking/

Cops say they have plenty of evidence that Richard Thomas and his wife Sandra were big-time steroid dealers. At a Tuesday night press conference announcing the arrest of the pair, Polk County Sheriff's officials were surrounded by thousands of doses of anabolic steroids.

What investigators aren't sure of is whether Richard Thomas, 35, is telling the truth when he says he is the biggest steroid provider in Central Florida and that he sold mostly to professional athletes, including those on the Washington Capitals hockey team and Washington Nationals baseball team.

Both Thomases were arrested Tuesday after a tip that originated from the Philadelphia office of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. At a 10 p.m. press conference in Lakeland, Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said when the pair were arrested, detectives seized an estimated $200,000 in illegal steroids.

Richard and Sandra Thomas face a litany of identical charges: 10 counts of possession of anabolic steroids with intention to sell and deliver; one count of possession of a firearm in commission of a felony; 10 counts importation of anabolic steroids into state of Florida; one count of maintaining a residence for selling drugs. Sheriff's officials said they lived at 1087 Stoney Creek Drive in Lakeland.

Authorities also confiscated a variety of weapons, which Judd said Richard Thomas told investigators were for his personal protection. He said far from being uncooperative, Richard Thomas openly bragged about selling steroids, though he wouldn't name names.

"I can tell you this, there will be a whole lot of people puckered up after the morning news,'' Judd said.

The sheriff said when Richard Thomas was asked if he had sold steroids to professional athletes, he replied, " "You name the sport, and I've sold steroids to athletes who play it."

Judd said the bust was the largest seizure of steroids in Polk County history and one of the largest in the region. He said Richard Thomas told investigators he bought the steroids from around the world

But then again, if everyone does them, is it cheating? :P

Guest mindfly

SCJ06_07b.jpg

Brind'Amour look a bit like sly on this one.... nooooooo of course he has only been eating his breakfast and trained hard :D

any coincidence that a couple guys skip town to go to Russia?

Hmmm... you bring a good point up here....

Except it's only speculation. Not denying it's possible. If on the outside chance the Wings were considering retiring Fedorov's number, and his signing in the KHL is an attempt to avoid prosecution, this ends that discussion.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

As a former user of anabolic steroids (Dianabol + Testerone Ethan. Stack with proper PCT), I would ahve too say that my only beef with steroids is the impact and message it sends to the Kids.

Playing Hockey at a a fairly high level (Tripple A, one year of HS varsity, OHL tryout), I have to say that suppleemnts are now a part of sports, even at complelty non pro levels. if people whose paychecks dont depend on the sport are doing it, you think it isnt true vice versa? Absoloutly not.

Whether it be the misuse of ephedra for enhanced cardio vascular endurance (which I personally belive is far more widespread in the NHL then heavy anabolic's due too the bulking up/slowing down factor of them) or AAS.

Like one poster allready mentioned, if Chelios was caught with them tommorow, would anyone really be suprised?

My only beef is if Ovechkin took them, lord knows the anti-ruski press will be all over it, and how Crosby plays "clean"

Hopefully, it is just a goon like Brashear, and we can move on.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Guest mindfly

Kovalchuk added a fine 40lbs over a summer few years back :D that was funny....

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA: Gotta love ephedra (ephedrine) the energy you get is just amazing.. 90mg and ur all set for a tripple overtime game at full speed... not too good for the heart in the long run but who gives a sh*t :P

Edited by mindfly

I don't think that many NHL players use steroids. It doesn't make much sense. I guess it depends on what steroids they are taking, but why would an NHL player want to be big and bulky. All it would do is slow you down. It seems to me it would be much harder to be effective with huge body mass.

Lakeland? :o

My grandparents just sold their Lakeland retirement home (which they had for over 20 years). If they only knew what took place on the outskirts of their "quiet" former retirement community. :lol:

YOUR GRANDPARENTS WERE 'ROIDING???

jk

SCJ06_07b.jpg

Brind'Amour look a bit like sly on this one.... nooooooo of course he has only been eating his breakfast and trained hard :D

holy s***! Brind'Amour is built like a brick s***house

Guest micah

I don't think that many NHL players use steroids. It doesn't make much sense. I guess it depends on what steroids they are taking, but why would an NHL player want to be big and bulky. All it would do is slow you down. It seems to me it would be much harder to be effective with huge body mass.

[/qu

Lots of hockey players juice, even stringy little finesse guys that you wouldn't expect. There are plenty of cocktails you can perscribe yourself that won't result in bulkiness. The biggest benefit of steroids to a hockey player is being able to recover from injurries faster and workout a bit more, not increasing their max bench.

Lots of hockey players juice, even stringy little finesse guys that you wouldn't expect.

It is quite possible that this is true, but do you have evidence that lots of hockey players juice? How come you never hear about it in the media? The only player I can think of is Sean Hill.

Guest micah
Lots of hockey players juice, even stringy little finesse guys that you wouldn't expect.

It is quite possible that this is true, but do you have evidence that lots of hockey players juice? How come you never hear about it in the media? The only player I can think of is Sean Hill.

Because when I played, at an admittedly very low level, lots of players juiced. I suspect that some of them still do. Why wouldn't they, there's not much stopping them from it. I didn't agree with it then and I don't now, but that's how the world works. People use illegal sticks all the time. I suspect it's the same with substances. Also, in the player's defence, there is a fair bit of "grey area". The line between legitimate medical need and intentional doping is a fine one, as is the line between legal and banned substances.

The reason you don't here about it is probably that it's A) dificult for the media to know for certain and B) nobody (in the US, anyway) cares. This isn't baseball, a super-popular sport with a reputation as "America's game" and a squeaky-clean immage, it's hockey; a second tier profesional sport in terms of newsworthyness and one who's popular immage (at least in the US) is a mix of the barbarianism of cockfighting and the boringness of soccer. I suspect a steroid scandal in the NHL would be slightly less noticed by American sportsfans than a story about a heterosexual woman found playing in the WNBA.

Edited by micah

Why wouldn't they, there's not much stopping them from it.

I'm not sure on this, but there has to be some sort of drug testing policy in the NHL. Obviously its not as strict as in baseball, but thats mainly cuz the NHL doesn't have any known banned substance problems.