• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Manoir

Would it be better if the Wings lost Game 5?

Rate this topic

I was just thinking, after the tough Anaheim series and all the injury problems, having the Cup finals start next week may not be so bad. As an added bonus, it gives the media ample time to hype up Crosby/Malkin and the Pens may start to believe the publicity. I have a bad feeling about the Wings having only 2 days off and then having to play back to back against a team that breezed through the semis.

Edited by Manoir

The schedule pisses me off. I have no idea how they can tamper with it, especially when it affects the outcome of the series.

I say win tonight and drop game 2 against the Pens. Then just win game 3 and 4 in the Pitts. Come home and win game 5 for a home victory.

Do we even know that the finals will start saturday if they win tonight for sure?

Starting on Saturday doesn't bother me nearly as much as two games in two nights at the start of a series, which bothers me because they haven't done it all playoffs. It's also like announcing halfway through a marathon that only the last four miles are going to count.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2009/news?id=4203658

For the past several days, the league has been working behind the scenes with NBC, which has limited prime time real estate to devote to the Cup finals due to important "sweeps" week programming and the Tonight Show re-launch with new host Conan O'Brien.

I agree that starting it on the 6th is really stupid. What would be wrong with a compromise of starting it on Sunday, and not having two games on consecutive nights at the start of (literally) the most important games of the season?

Game 1: Sunday May 31: Detroit

Game 2: Tuesday June 2: Detroit

Game 3: Thursday, June 4: Pittsburgh

Game 4: Saturday, June 6: Pittsburgh

Game 5: Tuesday, June 9: Detroit

Game 6: Thursday, June 11: Pittsburgh

Game 7: Saturday, June 13: Detroit

Oh yeah, they have to placate NBC, who doesn't pay a dime to the NHL to broadcast hockey.

Edited by mjlegend

I NEVER see a scenario where loosing a game is better.

If the NHL wants to stack the finals so that the there is no space for teams that go deeper in the playoff series such as they are with back to back games and no week off between the playoffs and finals, so be it. It only will lead to more disgruntled fans if the outcome does not go in their favor. The NHL is becoming a joke with it's moving rules, changing values and no set schedule.

A WIN IS ALWAYS WELCOMED.

Gooooooo Wings!!!!!

Starting on Saturday doesn't bother me nearly as much as two games in two nights at the start of a series, which bothers me because they haven't done it all playoffs. It's also like announcing halfway through a marathon that only the last four miles are going to count.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2009/news?id=4203658

I agree that starting it on the 6th is really stupid. What would be wrong with a compromise of starting it on Sunday, and not having two games on consecutive nights at the start of (literally) the most important games of the season?

Game 1: Sunday May 31: Detroit

Game 2: Tuesday June 2: Detroit

Game 3: Thursday, June 4: Pittsburgh

Game 4: Saturday, June 6: Pittsburgh

Game 5: Tuesday, June 9: Detroit

Game 6: Thursday, June 11: Pittsburgh

Game 7: Saturday, June 13: Detroit

Oh yeah, they have to placate NBC, who doesn't pay a dime to the NHL to broadcast hockey.

Yeah, I've seen that. I just wish they'd leave it to start the 5th. Hopefully we'll know tonight.

You guys do realize how royally f***ed we are if we have to play back to backs on Saturday/Sunday, right?

If Lidstrom isn't at least at 80% the Wings are f***ed against a team with Crosby and Malkin on it. Lidstrom can neutralize a great deal of the threat in one of those two players. After that we're playing the Ducks with s***ty defense. The Wings could deal with Getzlaf, they can deal with one of Crosby or Malkin. No Lidstrom, no way they can deal with both.

So I ask you this- can you honestly say Lidstrom is ready to play a back to back of must win games on Saturday/Sunday when he can't even play the game on Wednesday?

Can the Wings win against the Pens without Datsyuk playing at least at the level he was playing before injury (amazing PKing, great scoring pressure but not clicking)?

Let's put it this way- if Lidstrom and Datsyuk can't heal up AND the Wings are f***ed by the League and have to play back to backs for their home games, we're effectively the underdogs.

It's shocking how many people here are acting like the OP is being rediculous by posing this question.

A week long break could be the difference between winning and losing against the Pens.

Against a healthy Wings the Pens are underdogs. Against the Wings minus their regular season MVP and the 2nd greatest defenseman to ever play the game, the Pens are the favourites.

A top pairing of Ericsson-Rafalski will get eaten alive by Crosby's line.