• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wingscapsfan

Stanley Cup Finals schedule

Rate this topic

I love the Wings fans that are already making excuses about how they are getting screwed by the league. Its the conspiracy theorists all over again. If it makes you sleep better at night, go ahead and do it. The Wings are going to win this series in 6 games. The team that wants this series the most is the one that is going to win. I trust in the Wings drive and determination.

I already told you it isn't a "conspiracy theory". It's marketing taking precedence over the good of the game.

Do you honestly think it's a ******* roll of the dice that there haven't been back to backs in the playoffs before now? Perhaps it's because it's a disadvantageous position. That's why they avoid it in scheduling.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Actually, the more folks have to defend the way the NHL operates, and attack the conspiracy theorists, the more idiotic they look. Every single day theres new fodder for conspiracy theorists. That far outpaces anything that indicates the NHL isn't biased towards the Pens, or isn't biased towards anyone in particular.

Yeah, like that commercial of them winning game 5 last year. ;)

No bias there.

Actually, the more folks have to defend the way the NHL operates, and attack the conspiracy theorists, the more idiotic they look. Every single day theres new fodder for conspiracy theorists. That far outpaces anything that indicates the NHL isn't biased towards the Pens, or isn't biased towards anyone in particular.

You could say the same about the conspiracy theorists who said that the Twin Towers were detonated by the government. Seems that new theories come out about that every month or so. The latest being detecting explosive compound in the wreckage of the building.

No s*** the man can't make proper decisions, we've known that for years. The point is, THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY. The League is not in cahoots to f*** this team over and give Jesus Christ Crosby and the Holy Malkin Spirit a Stanley Cup parade. Okay? They're not. And the more people beat this drum, the more asinine they sound.

Gary Bettman is not smart enough to conspire to wipe his own ass, much less put a fix in for the Finals.

The idea of moving the Finals up for television has been in the works for about a month and a half, before the idea of a Cup rematch was even a twinkle in someone's eye. This is purely being done for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and ratings. That's it.

Yes this, unless for some reason Sunday's game gets moved from prime time. I'll break out my tin foil and make a hat at that point.

Ask Gonchar the same question.

Gonchar equals Datsyuk and Lidstrom? :blink: I get your point, but on paper Detroit is hurting more injury wise.

Guest Shoreline

So then, explain how the Cup Finals started earlier than last year, which is consistent with the league's intent to start the Finals before the NBA's starts? Explain how Bettman f***ed the Wings in (yet again) starting it earlier, and how that announcing in April there would be back to back games was a screw job to the Wings? If the Wings were healthy you wouldn't even be bitching, and I bet you ANYTHING you'd favor this schedule if it were the Penguins hurting and not our team. Go look at the Penguins board and you see the same conspiracy BS -- but Bettman is FOR Detroit. Wow, I guess there's a lot to this conspiracy s*** isn't there.

Edit: There's also logical Penguins fans asserting there's no conspiracy favoring the Wings. Isn't that familiar. :o

Edited by Shoreline

f*** right off. Seriously. I already told you it isn't a "conspiracy theory". It's marketing taking precedence over the good of the game.

Do you honestly think it's a ******* roll of the dice that there haven't been back to backs in the playoffs before now? Perhaps it's because it's a disadvantageous position. That's why they avoid it in scheduling.

A disadvantageous position that you can't point out in anything other than just saying it. Have any stats to back that up or are you just pulling that statement out of your ass?

As i said before, you are setting it up so if the Wings lose this series then its the leagues fault or the refs fault. When will anyone point the finger at the team? They are in control of their own destiny here.

Guest Shoreline
A disadvantageous position that you can't point out in anything other than just saying it. Have any stats to back that up or are you just pulling that statement out of your ass?

As i said before, you are setting it up so if the Wings lose this series then its the leagues fault or the refs fault. When will anyone point the finger at the team? They are in control of their own destiny here.

No kidding. Wings would have had an extra day of rest over the Penguins if they had swept the Hawks like the Penguins did against the Canes. Conspiracy?

The Penguins also have to play the back to back just like the Wings do. Conspiracy?

There's just no logic or evidence whatsoever Bettman is favoring ANY team, never mind Pittsburgh, to win the cup. Obviously marketing-wise the Penguins are more marketable, younger, and youth sells more. That didn't help them win last year and won't help them win this year either.

Edited by Shoreline

Yes this, unless for some reason Sunday's game gets moved from prime time. I'll break out my tin foil and make a hat at that point.

Gonchar equals Datsyuk and Lidstrom? :blink: I get your point, but on paper Detroit is hurting more injury wise.

I agree to your first statement.

As for the second, Gonchar is just as important to this team as Lidstrom is to the Wings. Yes, the wings are hurting more, but that is why its the playoffs and depth is important. Its not like teams in the past got an extra 1-2 weeks of rest between the conference finals and the cup finals. The team finishing their series in the longest amount of games got AT MOST 2-3 days. That is what we are getting here for finishing in 5 and the Pens finishing in a sweep.

Look at back in 2002 when the Wings beat the Avs in game 7 and played right away 2 days later against Carolina. No one bitched about the Wings reduced rest in that series.

The Wings have that depth to succeed. If the Wings want this series bad enough, it should be over in 6 games. If they play like they did a few games in Anaheim and game 3 against Chicago in the first period when they gave up 3 goals, then the Wings will lose in the finals. The Wings HAVE to keep the pedal to the metal in every game this series because you know the Pens are going to bring everything they have.

Edited by Nightfall

I agree to your first statement.

As for the second, Gonchar is just as important to this team as Lidstrom is to the Wings. Yes, the wings are hurting more, but that is why its the playoffs and depth is important. Its not like teams in the past got an extra 1-2 weeks of rest between the conference finals and the cup finals. The team finishing their series in the longest amount of games got AT MOST 2-3 days. That is what we are getting here for finishing in 5 and the Pens finishing in a sweep.

Look at back in 2002 when the Wings beat the Avs in game 7 and played right away 2 days later against Carolina.

The Wings have that depth.

Our team isn't as deep as the 2002 team, that team didn't have any injuries from what I can remember, and the Pens are better than that Carolina team.

Other than those minor differences, your analogy makes at least some sense.

Our team isn't as deep as the 2002 team, that team didn't have any injuries from what I can remember, and the Pens are better than that Carolina team.

Other than those minor differences, your analogy makes at least some sense.

Last time I checked, just because your team has injuries or is banged up doesn't mean the cup finals should be delayed 1-2 weeks to allow the team that is banged up to rest. Yes, the Pens are much better than that Carolina team, but that isn't the point here as you said. This is playoff hockey, not a take home test you can take anytime in the next 1-2 weeks when you are rested and ready.

The best teams learn to rise up to the challenge. The Wings have the depth and the players to do that. This series is theirs. There is no doubt in my mind we will be lifting the cup in 6 games. Thats only if they keep the pedal to the floor and play tough hard nosed hockey EVERY game.

they lost that game

Not the point. There is no break. If your team goes 7 games and your opponent sweeps, your opponent gets the benefit of extra rest. Thats the way things have been for years. Seems that Wings fans want an exception because they are banged up when this kind of exception has not happened. Heck, if the league won't give them that rest, then the league is out to get them and the refs are out to get them and the league wants the pens to win anyway. Its such a crap excuse which is what I am hearing here.

Ah well, I made my point.

So then, explain how the Cup Finals started earlier than last year, which is consistent with the league's intent to start the Finals before the NBA's starts? Explain how Bettman f***ed the Wings in (yet again) starting it earlier, and how that announcing in April there would be back to back games was a screw job to the Wings? If the Wings were healthy you wouldn't even be bitching, and I bet you ANYTHING you'd favor this schedule if it were the Penguins hurting and not our team. Go look at the Penguins board and you see the same conspiracy BS -- but Bettman is FOR Detroit. Wow, I guess there's a lot to this conspiracy s*** isn't there.

Edit: There's also logical Penguins fans asserting there's no conspiracy favoring the Wings. Isn't that familiar. :o

Dude- lots of us are pissed about the back to back.

I get the justification for moving the games forward by a week- that's fine dude. I get it. Cool. Neat.

The back to back if ******* BS. Period. Justify it man- try and do it without saying it's a sell out to get the s*** on the ******* air. For ******* free I should mention. NBC dictates the schedule to the league for the sporting events they're demanding they get free as well.

How about I invite myself to dinner at your house then I tell you to change the ******* date?

I'd rather the Wings play Friday Sunday than Saturday Sunday.

You love characterizing this as "conspiracy theories" because that's a laughable subject and easily dismissed. Try, for just a second, looking at the other person's point of view without adding a little psychological spin to justify your own viewpoint and dismiss your opponents'.

Oh really? You need me to tell you that playing two Stanley Cup finals games in a row is harder to do than if they're spaced out? Seriously? We'll see what Babcock says about back to backs in the press conferences.

You'll say hey the Pens have the same disadvantage. Sure, great- but they don't have to suffer that as part of their homestand. And that's the point. Back to backs had fatigue and make the second game feel more like overtime in terms of how the game plays out- that's a disadvantageous position.

Put it this way- one of your two guaranteed home games will now be played under more physical distress than normal. While they are in the same situation, they're not expected to take home both those games in your rink. They'd be delighted with a split.

No kidding. Wings would have had an extra day of rest over the Penguins if they had swept the Hawks like the Penguins did against the Canes. Conspiracy?

The Penguins also have to play the back to back just like the Wings do. Conspiracy?

There's just no logic or evidence whatsoever Bettman is favoring ANY team, never mind Pittsburgh, to win the cup. Obviously marketing-wise the Penguins are more marketable, younger, and youth sells more. That didn't help them win last year and won't help them win this year either.

Try making your arguments without using fallacy as a crutch.

Guest Shoreline
Dude- lots of us are pissed about the back to back.

I get the justification for moving the games forward by a week- that's fine dude. I get it. Cool. Neat.

The back to back if ******* BS. Period. Justify it man- try and do it without saying it's a sell out to get the s*** on the ******* air. For ******* free I should mention. NBC dictates the schedule to the league for the sporting events they're demanding they get free as well.

How about I invite myself to dinner at your house then I tell you to change the ******* date?

I'd rather the Wings play Friday Sunday than Saturday Sunday.

You love characterizing this as "conspiracy theories" because that's a laughable subject and easily dismissed. Try, for just a second, looking at the other person's point of view without adding a little psychological spin to justify your own viewpoint and dismiss your opponents'.

Try and follow along. I was there in the same topic discussing the changed of date before, in fact, in a recent topic I was the one that emphasized that June 5th would be the start date and then questioned why they might change the date, and I wasn't happy, but that doesn't mean it has anything to do with Bettman or the league ******* the Wings. It's very obvious and there's no lolconspiracy involved. I hate Bettman, NBC, and the way the league handles s*** as much as anyone else, I'm just not throwing a s***fit over something that isn't true like you guys are. It's been long known about the back to back thing, you guys are just NOW pissed off because it's the Wings who happen to be injured and it doesn't benefit them. Simple as that.

The fact that you'd give that funny dinner analogy shows how irate you are and how you refuse to look at the situation rationally.

Edit: And to your last post, I don't need a crutch. Why would I when I'm too busy laughing my ass off at how stupid this conspiracy s*** is?

Edited by Shoreline

the thing i don't understand is why does it have to be either this saturday or next friday? what's wrong with monday or tuesday?

TV ratings? it's really pathetic how the nhl continues to work everything around the small US fan base. if you put game one on monday afternoon half of canada would still tune in.

i wonder what else will be on tv saturday for americans to watch? nascar? nba? baseball? golf? spelling bee?

Try and follow along. I was there in the same topic discussing the changed of date before, in fact, in a recent topic I was the one that emphasized that June 5th would be the start date and then questioned why they might change the date, and I wasn't happy, but that doesn't mean it has anything to do with Bettman or the league ******* the Wings. It's very obvious and there's no lolconspiracy involved. I hate Bettman, NBC, and the way the league handles s*** as much as anyone else, I'm just not throwing a s***fit over something that isn't true like you guys are. It's been long known about the back to back thing, you guys are just NOW pissed off because it's the Wings who happen to be injured and it doesn't benefit them. Simple as that.

The fact that you'd give that funny dinner analogy shows how irate you are and how you refuse to look at the situation rationally.

Edit: And to your last post, I don't need a crutch. Why would I when I'm too busy laughing my ass off at how stupid this conspiracy s*** is?

:lol: You completely don't understand what I meant when I referred to your asinine fallacy- "conspiracy". Amazing. You just say "I don't need a fallacy to aid my debate!", the fallacy being that your opponent believes in a conspiracy, then you string that into a "conspiracy" accusation.

Wow... again, you have no understanding of your opponents viewpoint. You're arguing with a strawman.

So let's sum this up with the paragraph down below the one where I made the dinner comment you found so delightful. Let's see how many times I have to rephrase this s*** to pound it into your head:

The back to back is a stupid marketing decision made NOT BECAUSE IT'S THE WINGS BUT BECAUSE BETTMAN IS AN ASS THAT DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THE GAME-- JUST 'GROWING' IT FOR THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS.

Ask Gonchar the same question.

At least Gonchar's well enough to play in games right now. There's absolutely no question that we've been dealt a s***ty hand here, and that this a huge advantage for the Pens. No conspiracy, just a "sucks to be us." That said, champions don't make excuses--it is what it is, and if we're to bring it home, we'll have to overcome it.

Still, epic fail by the league and NBC on this one, screwing the competitive balance of the series (unwittingly or otherwise) to avoid that epic Dwight Howard-Carmello Anthony NBA final. Hey, don't laugh, it's more likely than Kobe-LeBron at the moment, thanks to the Cavs' developing choke job (which I'm loving BTW, despite my location).

To quote Bruce MacLeod:

Saturday/Sunday?

By Bruce MacLeod - Red Wings Corner / May 27, 2009

If the Stanley Cup final has Games 1 and 2 in Detroit this Saturday and Sunday (that's the rumor if Detroit wins tonight), that will be the first time that there have been Cup final games on back-to-back days since 1955.

Why now? I don't get it. The original plan for an early start was Thursday if both conference finals were sweeps. If it was Thursday, they couldn't have gone Thurs/Sat/Sun. So why the big rush to play Sunday? I don't know.

And 1955? Believe it or not, the back-to-back dates were betweens Game 4 and 5. So Game 4 was in Montreal on April 9. Game 5 in Detroit on April 10.