#1 wmubronco420

wmubronco420

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:02 PM

vs.

Regular Season Matchups(1-1)
11/11/08: Pittsburgh def. Detroit 7-6(OT)
2/8/09: Detroit def. Pittsburgh 3-0

Playoff Stats
DET
GPG: 3.69
GA/G: 2.12
S/G: 39.5
SA/G: 28.8
PP: 25.7%
PK: 73% nervous.gif

PIT
GPG: 3.82
GA/G: 2.76
S/G: 34.9
SA/G: 28.8
PP: 19.3%
PK: 83.6

Well now that its set in stone i figured we could make a thread to keep all the pre-series discussions, predictions and thoughts.
my personal favorite storyline going in is the goalie matchup:

Ozzie: 2.06 GAA, 925sv. vs. MAF: 2.62, .906sv%

...so much for our weak link

Edited by wmubronco420, 28 May 2009 - 12:11 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (wmubronco420 @ May 27, 2009 - 11:02PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
vs.

Well now that its set in stone i figured we could make a thread to keep all the pre-series discussions, predictions and thoughts.
my personal favorite storyline going in is the goalie matchup:

Ozzie: 2.06 GAA, 924sv. vs. MAF: 2.62, .906sv%

...so much for our weak link

+1

GO WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Zack is Great

Zack is Great

Bigger Goal Bob, Mike owes me money.

• Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:09 PM

Well, assuming we get our guys back from injury, which I think we will, we have great forwards, better forward depth, much better defense and a better goalie.

Pittsburgh, on the other hand, has the 2 best offensive players in the league. I'll take the better team over the better 2 players any day.

#4 cupcrazy

cupcrazy

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 824 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:13 PM

I believe we have to get Dats and Lidstrom back to 90% or better to beat the pens this year.I hope like all of us we are the first team to go back to back in the cap era.i'am more worried this year than last,but I still believe we beat them unless we have a total break down.

EDIT# You kinda wonder if Dats and Nick could have went today,but were just resting for the finals unless we went to game 6.

Edited by cupcrazy, 27 May 2009 - 10:16 PM.

Posted Image

#5 tdinc

tdinc

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:14 PM

Its quite simple. Keep Cindy and Malgoon in check. and The Pens look weak. Media hype does not win Stanley Cups.

Wings in 5... yes Thats right. I said 5

Go Wings!!!!!!!!!!

#6 Statts

Statts

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:15 PM

It will be a GREAT series. Tighter than a nuns butt every game. The pens are a great team.

I expect Hossa to play like a man possessed in this series.
I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, I'm going to mop the floor with your face.
I said, You'll be sorry.
He said, Oh, yeah? Why?
I said, Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well.
-Emo Philips

#7 Duck Guy

Duck Guy

Homer rocks your socks off Its knuckle Puck time!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:18 PM

Said it before and said it again.. Pens look more dangerous then last year.. Malkin and crosby looking better this year Plus the addition of Kunitz (I miss him sad.gif ), Adams, and Guerin..

Yes there are Negative Hossa but the play of malkin, crosby and deadline pickups make up for his loss.

Sure you can argue D wins cups but there D has not been the worst.. of course it has not been as good as the wings D but you can not right them off just because of this reason.

In the end .. Whoever wins takes it in 7.

Posted Image
Veritas Aequitas

#8 Stolsanov

Stolsanov

Bantam AA 2004 Wisconsin State Champions and MVP

• 49 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:20 PM

I'm really hoping Hossa brings his game up even more than he has these past 2 games. Ripping Pittsburgh a new one, and their fans smile.gif I Would love to see him rip another backhander from the top of the circles right past Fluery. Heres for a healthy return of Datsyuk and Lidstrom.
"For he who finds me finds life And obtains favor from the Lord, But he Who sins against me injures himself, All those who hate me love death" Proverbs - 8:35 8:36

#9 wmubronco420

wmubronco420

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:22 PM

forgot to mention my prediction... im gonna go with wings in 6 once again. If we get datsyuk and lidstrom back i dont think pittsburgh really has a chance, though they will still be all close games. Ozzie with the conn smythe smile.gif

Posted Image

#10 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:23 PM

Will there be Joe Vision for the away games?????

#11 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:25 PM

All hinges on whether we get back Lids or not. As good as Stuart, Kronner and the others have been in his absence, we NEED him if we are going to have any chance of shutting down Crosby and Malkin.
To hear that he's walking around with a limp makes me worried.

Without Lids: Pens in 7.
With Lids: Wings in 5.

#12 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:26 PM

The great and powerful Oz has decreed Wings in 6.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#13 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:29 PM

Pittsburgh is better than last year.

But the Wings have absolutely dominated all playoffs long. I worry about the Pens, I really do. But there's been this feeling this entire run that the Wings are sort of destined to do this. Pittsburgh will make a series of it, for sure, but the Wings have responded to every single threat and overcome, and they've faced a variety. Two young upstart teams (one of which is very good) that probably play similar to the Pens, plus a physical and dominating team in Anaheim.

I think as long as we get Lidstrom and Datsyuk back (which I think we will) the Wings will win this series, but it will be very hard fought.

So yeah, I'm more scared than I have been except for maybe Anaheim, but part of me feels reassured that the Wings just keep coming no matter what's thrown in their way.

EDIT:

More specifically, Ozzie will outperform Fleury again, and our defense will stifle much of their offense. Our offense will keep clicking.

I think we may even beat them withotu Hossa or Datsyuk or Zetterberg scoring, but I'd like to have those fellas on board.

Edited by VM1138, 27 May 2009 - 10:30 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#14 WingsFan2008

WingsFan2008

Rookie

• Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:30 PM

Not all nuns have tight butts.

#15 wmubronco420

wmubronco420

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (dat's sick @ May 27, 2009 - 11:25PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All hinges on whether we get back Lids or not. As good as Stuart, Kronner and the others have been in his absence, we NEED him if we are going to have any chance of shutting down Crosby and Malkin.
To hear that he's walking around with a limp makes me worried.

Without Lids: Pens in 7.
With Lids: Wings in 5.

I know, in the absence of lids stuart and kronwall have looked like elite defenseman at times IMO. If they keep that up while bringing back the best D-man in the league as well as the best defensive forward in the game. It would give us a HUGE advantage in terms of defensive depth.

Edited by wmubronco420, 27 May 2009 - 10:31 PM.

Posted Image

#16 yzefan

yzefan

Yzefan

• Pip
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:32 PM

This series is going to come down to one thing... and one thing only..... HOW HEALTHY ARE WE?

If we get everyone back (lids,dats and Erics) we stand a really good chance.. without them we are screwed.

HEALTHY wings in 6
unhealthy..............?
Draper !!!

#17 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (yzefan @ May 27, 2009 - 11:32PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This series is going to come down to one thing... and one thing only..... HOW HEALTHY ARE WE?

If we get everyone back (lids,dats and Erics) we stand a really good chance.. without them we are screwed.

HEALTHY wings in 6
unhealthy..............?

Ericsson will be back. Laparoscopic appendectomy is a near instant recovery.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#18 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:36 PM

Another thing to add: We didn't have the logn reaches of Ericcson and Hossa last year, so this year we may be even better at clogging their lanes.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#19 FedorovGurl

FedorovGurl

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 548 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:36 PM

Ducks played so hard and were so tough to get past. I truly believe that if we could beat the Ducks, then we can beat the Penguins.

Edited by FedorovGurl, 27 May 2009 - 10:37 PM.

Welcome Back Kotter Hudler!! ".... who'd of thought they'd lead ya back here where we need ya? "

#20 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (FedorovGurl @ May 27, 2009 - 11:36PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ducks played so hard and were so tough to get past. I truly believe that if we could beat the Ducks, then we can beat the Penguins.

I agree, but we were relatively healthy for the ducks. Need Lids SO bad. I think we could survive a few more games w/o Dats, but Lids will be needed to stop their top guys.