• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TCbrizz

Future of Chicago Blackhawks

Rate this topic

In the post game presser Babcock was asked about what he thought about the Blackhawks being so young and what their potential was and said to the effect: "Kane is a good kid and a solid NHL player, but the guy you build a team around is the Toews kid...he has to be the #1 priority. I know they have some cap issues and they'll decide on the goalie situation so next year isn't too bad, but I think in 2 years it gets ugly and they'll have to make some tough choices."

He was referring specifically to the salary cap and the quote I recall for sure is "In two years it is going to get ugly for them"....what's the deal on all that? Will the be able to keep Kane and Toews long term? And which do you think is the higher priority? Personally, I think Kane gets more credit than he deserves and is a bit of a hot dog...he has a lot of growing up to do. Toews on the other hand is a very very good player who is going to be a star.

Otherwise I'm aware of the Huet/Khabibulin issues...but what others are there? Doesn't Campbell make a ridiculous amount...someone told me the other day he made as much as Lidstrom?!?!??!

Guest CaliWingsNut
In the post game presser Babcock was asked about what he thought about the Blackhawks being so young and what their potential was and said to the effect: "Kane is a good kid and a solid NHL player, but the guy you build a team around is the Toews kid...he has to be the #1 priority. I know they have some cap issues and they'll decide on the goalie situation so next year isn't too bad, but I think in 2 years it gets ugly and they'll have to make some tough choices."

He was referring specifically to the salary cap and the quote I recall for sure is "In two years it is going to get ugly for them"....what's the deal on all that? Will the be able to keep Kane and Toews long term? And which do you think is the higher priority? Personally, I think Kane gets more credit than he deserves and is a bit of a hot dog...he has a lot of growing up to do. Toews on the other hand is a very very good player who is going to be a star.

Otherwise I'm aware of the Huet/Khabibulin issues...but what others are there? Doesn't Campbell make a ridiculous amount...someone told me the other day he made as much as Lidstrom?!?!??!

Not everyone takes a hometown/Detroit discount. That's a good thing too.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Doesn't Campbell make a ridiculous amount...someone told me the other day he made as much as Lidstrom?!?!??!

Just about. His cap hit is $7.14 million to Lids' $7.45 million. What a craptacular signing that was for them. And the sad part (depending on your POV) is that this isn't hindsight talking, everyone besides the Hawks' FO called it at the time.

I'm not entirely familiar with their cap situation, but just browsing nhlnumbers.com, it looks like Havlat ($6.0 M) and Khabibulin ($6.75 M) are UFA. They can both be replaced for cheaper, that'll help. They also have a few of their mid-range players as RFAs, most notably Versteeg. He'll get a raise obviously.

But the big chalupas are after next season when Kane and Toews come off their entry-level deals and into RFA status. Thing is, other than Campbell, I don't see a ton of dead weight, salary-wise. A lot depends on what the cap does, but I think they can manage it.

Being from the Chi-City, I've seen alot of this team and they have a bright future . . . under a difference coach. Mature doesn't come it age, it comes with experience and leadership and the Hawks are missing those two things greatly.

I agree with Babcock, Toews is the future of that franchise. Kane is nice and all, but I think he's the Federov to Toews' Yzerman.

Noting that Yzerman won 3 cups with Fedorov, 0 without. :P Just playing devil's advocate. You need both players in my opinion, the Yzermans and the Fedorovs.

Toews and Kane are still on their rookie contracts - they'll be due for some serious raises.

The Campbell and Huet signings are almost Rangers worthy in their waste of cap space - so they will have some serious issues.

They should focus on Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook - that should be their core. Try and trade Campbell - that's all they can do.

Take those comments with a grain of salt. Kane is American, and we already know Babcock hates American players.

:)

Noting that Yzerman won 3 cups with Fedorov, 0 without. :P Just playing devil's advocate. You need both players in my opinion, the Yzermans and the Fedorovs.

But you could also replace Fedorov with Lidstrom, or even Shanahan

i wish joel gets fired and scotty takes over behind the bench.

as far as cap woes, huet and campbell are over paid and they will never get rid of those contracts. and you cant buy out campbell because his term is for i think 7 more years so a buyout means half his salary (3.6ish) for double the term (10, 12, 14 years depending on when the buyout occurs) so they are stuck with that horrendous contract.

Of all the good things Tallon has done, cap management is not his forte. I am not worried about Toews and Kane, its the supporting cast im worried about.

If we do resign Havlat, pending the size of the contract, it can make retaining both Toews and Kane a problem (like many, if I had to choose one, it would be Toews). Alot of fans want him back, but they obvioulsy have nor take no time to have an understanding of the salary cap. Campbell and Huet were no doubt more of a McCub push than a Tallon push sign big names put butts in the seats, it worked when he was president of the cubs. Khabby wont get resigned, They will try and ride Huet next year, if he can put up plenty of game 5 performances and stay away from the game 4 performances it could turn out to be a good signing. Huet has been a spectacular save here, unscreened wrister from 40 feet out goal goalie all season, tonight was honestly his best performance of the season.

The bottom line is somewhere, somebody is going to have to go. I dont think its going to be a huge issue next season, but 10/11 is another story. I am one of a few who is not really concerned with havlat, sure he put up good numbers this year, but like I said, I mean really to even make an attempt to keep this team together he cant sign for more than 4m per, and I dont that would happen as I am still not sold on his ability to remain healthy. I would be happier to see both bolland and versteeg resigned, if we resign havlat i am almost positive one of them goes elsewhere this offseason. Sharp was on pace for 40+ goals then got injured and had a drought, In Sharp Toews and Kane I think we have 3 players that will be consistent 30+ goal scorers going forward(Kane had a bit of a drought, but I have no doubt he will consistently put up 30+ going forward, hes also been a tremendous playmaker since day 1). With that said after them I would concentrate on getting our 15-25g scorers in a position to be retained (Ladd, Buff, Bolland, Versteeg). This makes Havlat the odd man out, I just dont see him in our future and yes I would love some hometown discounts, but with all these kids on the cusp of their first payday I doubt it.

As far as Defenseman I just have one thing to say, Seabrook and Keith need to be retained.

Edited by TSD

All their good young players are done with their rookie contracts either this or next offseason. If Huet plays well, thats great, but hes getting paid a bit more than you'd like for a guy that was at best platooning this year. Then there's Campbell's Albatross of a contract. I don't know why Toews would be the priority though, at worst their equals, Kane is the more dynamic, talented player.

They will try and ride Huet next year, if he can put up plenty of game 5 performances and stay away from the game 4 performances it could turn out to be a good signing. Huet has been a spectacular save here, unscreened wrister from 40 feet out goal goalie all season, tonight was honestly his best performance of the season.

That's sort of what I was thinking by not mentioning Huet in my first post. He looks like your goalie next year, and I think he's a capable one. Mix in a cheap backup (Crawford or other) and the money committed to goaltending isn't really THAT much of a reach.

Havlat should walk. You got a full season out of him, amazingly. Take the money and run. You're tempting fate to count on that again--let him become someone else's injury problem, and make sure you can keep both Kane and Toews.*

* I'll be in the minority and say I actually prefer Kane, although Toews brings a lot of "unteachables" to the table. He wears the C like a guy with 10 years in, and showed up in this series way more than Kane, so he's obviously clutch. Really, you can't go wrong either way, might as well keep both.

If they could re-do it I think they might reconsider the Huet and Campbell contracts.

In 2010-2011 they will have the following guys under contract

Sharp - $4.1 mil

Byfuglien - $3

Campbell - $7.14

Seabrook - 3.5

Sopel - 2

Huet - 5.625

6 players - $25.365 mil without any of their 3 best players signed

Then you have Havlat, Toews and Kane(the last 2 making <1 mil now) going to be making 5+ each probably, and guys like Ladd, Versteeg, Skille, Barker and Keith are all going to get huge raises as well over thei rookie contracts. They are going to have to let some good players walk.

Edited by jjd06e

i wish joel gets fired and scotty takes over behind the bench.

as far as cap woes, huet and campbell are over paid and they will never get rid of those contracts. and you cant buy out campbell because his term is for i think 7 more years so a buyout means half his salary (3.6ish) for double the term (10, 12, 14 years depending on when the buyout occurs) so they are stuck with that horrendous contract.

Scotty take over? why on earth would you want that?!?!?!? Joel is 6-20 vs. the Red Wings in the Playoffs...I look forward to adding four more to that second number every ear for a while ;)

and Campbell's on the hook for SEVEN more years at that salary? OUCH!

Scotty take over? why on earth would you want that?!?!?!? Joel is 6-20 vs. the Red Wings in the Playoffs...I look forward to adding four more to that second number every ear for a while ;)

and Campbell's on the hook for SEVEN more years at that salary? OUCH!

the better the central is, the better off the wings are! and chicago deserves some success and we all know Joel is not the guy to bring it to them. plus, i know i hate to say it, but the wings wont play chicago every year and if they last longer than we do, id rather have them in the finals over any other team in the west!!

and yeah, Campbell is is 7.14 cap hit until 2015/2016,