• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
gcom007

Props To Chris Osgood

Rate this topic

Win or lose the Cup in the next couple of weeks, there's a lot worth saying about how well Osgood has played in these playoffs thus far all the while proving the doubters wrong and leading Detroit to the finals for the second year in a row. As I'm going to shamelessly note in a moment, I always had faith that he'd be fine, but I've gotta admit, even I'm surprised at just how well he's played as the post-season's gone on. This guy has been as big as our biggest stars have been for us this year if not bigger. While I've got high hopes for the finals, before any of that, it's a good time to recognize once again that in fact we are quite lucky to have a goalie as solid as Osgood. At the end of the day, year after year this guy knows how to deliver when it counts. I can't wait to get the finals rolling to see what this guy does. If we win the Cup, you can bet good money on Osgood landing the Conn Smythe.

And now for shameless gloating...

Some of y'all are just ridiculous. Ozzie's fine and will be fine. You can quote me on that in June.

Taken from http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.ph...f=1&t=56485 and also note:

Even if we don't win I'm quite confident that it won't have anything to do with Osgood. We'll lose if our D breaks down or if we forget how to score. We will not lose because our goalie is letting in too many goals. No way.

Plus, I think Osgood's got his game back and will only be better come playoff time. Last night looked fluky to me in every way. They were all on him and they were soft, but they were odd goals. They weren't like earlier in the season when he was just playing tentative and out of position. I don't know what was up, but I'm not worried about it at all. He's been looking more like himself for awhile now and that goalie has won 2 Cups on his own and has won a lot of games.

I've been watching Osgood every season since his rookie year. I've seen every bit with the Wings and followed him a bit even on the Islanders and the Blues. I've seen him start hundreds of games. I've heard it all and seen it all and one thing is wholly and completely clear to me: when it counts, Osgood will not be the liability. It hasn't happened yet and I don't think it will anytime soon.

I'm not worried at all about Osgood, the playoff starter.

Another for good measure...

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.ph...20june&st=0

I've never doubted him. I doubt the defense more than Osgood. They'll make or break this Cup run.

He had a rough start and the defense has been awful and just gotten worse. Conklin looked better when Osgood was WAY under par, but since Osgood finding his game a bit, he's been the better goalie and he'll get better when it matters most. The best and only reasonable decision is to go with Osgood.

What other active goalies besides Brodeur have more Cups than him? Or playoff wins?

Underrated. Quote me on it in June.

I'm new on the forums, but I have never bashed Osgood, and I agree with those guys. I would love to see Ozzie get the Conn Smythe just to shove it in the doubters faces who said Conklin was the way to go. I've seen a lot of Ozzie bashing on facebook and on streams with chat on goals that no goalie would have stopped and the constant wanting of pulling him for Conks was annoying, even if he had only let in one goal. I want him to get the Conn Smythe, but I can see it going to Crosby or Malkin depending on how effective they are against us, if they aren't than it should go to Ozzie. All and all go Wings.

Edited by Zeowingsfan

Everyone knows how I've supported Ozzie over the years. *Going on 12 now!* Always had faith in him especially when he was brought down by most.

He's always been a great goalie and he just proves that more and more each year. Love him dearly!

Props to you, gcm007. One of the rare ones that always supported Oz. :thumbup:

Ozzy's been bashed for years and he always will be. He could win a Hart trophy without escaping the curse of being called 'average' for years by the media.

The best part is that Ozzy doesn't care about that s***. He cares about the fans like us who chant his name every night and stop him in the street to say we think he kicks ass, regardless of the season's outcome.

Once Ozzy hangs up his pads the win totals, cups and stats will speak for themselves, and he's cool headed enough to know that and be fine with it in the mean time. You gotta respect a guy like that... take lots of balls to look past the doubters and stay so confident.

Guest Shoreline
lol, have you seen Osgood play this year, the number of horrible goals given up, the lack of confidence, looking confused and lost.

He's done, he can't put a consistency streak worth anything together.

He plays couple decent games against easy teams, then lets in 3 horrific goals against the flames!

He's done! Bring up Jimmy and send Ozzie packing. Conklin has to be our starter going forward for us to succeed.

I'm not gonna say this team is done for. But NO ONE should be shocked should they lose in the first round.

It would be very unsurprising if Osgood plays mediocre in Game 1-2 and still wins, but loses Game 3-4. As long as Babcock makes the change to Conklin sooner then later if needed, no reason to worry.

Either way you stack it, if Detroit miraculously makes it past the first round even with the shotty goaltending, we'll get Calgary or Vancouver 100% in the 2nd round. Both teams have goaltenders who play amazing in the play-offs, and scoring depth. Could you imagine if it was Luongo verus Osgood? What a joke that would be. Conklin can at least play decent, above .9 sv%.

Detroit is not going to score more then 3 goals a game against Rinne, Mason, Luongo etc. in the playoffs. Conklin at least has proven he can keep up a decent GAA.

Could someone please explain why their going with Osgood in the first place? Who do you trust more to stop 20 shots a night? Is Osgood at his best better then Conklin? No. I mean what are they thinking? Why Osgood? Why keep going back to Osgood? He sucks. Every chance he's been given, he's failed. He hasn't played well in even half the games he's started. What are they thinking?

Anaheim in 5. You heard it here first.

4-2 Columbus. You heard it hear first!

Detroit will lose in 5 games in round one. You heard it here first.

No Lidstrom, No Datsyuk, No Ericsson, No Lilja.

We're talking the best defensive forward, and three of the top six defenseman on the team. And, he allows 2 goals in 2 games, closing out the series.

Chris Osgood is a hero.

Ozzy has played terrific, and sometimes I think we forget this is a 36-year-old goaltender. The last couple games he has really been battling flu and dehydration, but managed to play lights out both times.

Scary indicator on just how banged up and tired Ozzy is playing right now: post-game press conference tonite, right after discussing the short layover between series, Osgood winces and tries to lean towards Cleary/away from the mic, but it clearly picks up him saying "ugh, I'm seizing up... my legs...", looks extremely impatient to get out of there, when the questions keep coming he lets out another wince and a "jeeze"

Edited by b.shanafan14

Guest Shoreline
Nobody complains about defense when the goalie is making saves. This is the wrost goaltending we've had in 10 years also. I guess this is just a finger pointing contest, but the defense will always make some mistakes during the game. The goalie has to bail them out. Ozzie is the worst goalie in the league right now at bailing his team out, let alone amongst playoff teams.

Some of the blind homers on this board need to stop acting like they're so much better than everyone else.

This forum isn't some "feat of faith" where people should be tested. It's an internet fan forum. People should be concerned about the goaltending and defense, and most people are smart enough to know that being near last in defense doesn't ever equate to winning the Stanley Cup.

Sorry don't take offense but your observations show how nauseating the whole goalie debate in Detriot has become. Bottom line we have crappy goaltending and the likelyhood of getting the Cup again with such goaltending , well the odds don't look good at all. As far as the justification you allude too what I'll keep referring to on this board ad nauseum until it changes " goaltending on the cheap in Detroit", now an institution since were all about high priced finesse is a weak justification for having such feeble goaltending. However you tell us how thankful we should be for having the likes of Osgood and Conklin at such reasonnable rates; oh were so fortunate thanks for the insight!

Ozzie is not getting any better..time to let him go out to pasture..pick up a good available starter in a trade that will unleash Cleary,Kopecky,and Samuelsson and then make room for Howard and Larsson to fight it out for the backup position next year and to keep Hossa and Franzen on board... btw the youngster McCollum could be the next Hasek of the future..

I really don't believe this whole thing about the Wings not playing to their potential. They played as well as they could've today, and we shouldn't magically expect everyone to turn it up. For this entire season, we've been saying "It's only November" or "It's only January", then suddenly "It's only the regular season." We'll all say it after Game 1, then Game 2, then what? If the Wings don't take Game 1 and 2, it'll be over. Osgood will fail, it's just a matter of when.

Columbus in 5.

well, this team, this year, has turned uninspired erratic play into an art form. let's see them turn the switch that everybody's so confident they'll turn. now the games matter. no more excuses. the lazy defense, the boneheaded passes, the goaltending, our recently dethroned power play, they can't be blamed on games that don't matter any longer. i, for one, am not confident at all that the wings can turn this switch and all of a sudden start playing like they give a damn. they've played uninspired hockey for the bulk of the season, that, to me, spells first round upset. we'll see... :thumbdown:

*shakes head*

If the wings make it past the first two rounds I'll be very surprised. That said, with our goaltending the way it is at the moment, Babs has just chosen the best of the bad.

Dom was named the starter last year as well.

We'll definitely a see repeat come this year, this time for Ozzie it will be the opposite.

You, sir, get it.

I am consistently amused that people on these boards do not understand that with age, players lose ability. Osgood is not a capable #1 anymore.

With Osgood - he's going to allow every game at least 2 SOFT goals... Red Wings are better to play with 6 players (keep Osgood on the bench...)
Edited by Shoreline

Guest Shoreline
In Ozzie We Trust! Give 'em hell and show those Jackets what Red Wings hockey is all about.

I've been critical of Ozzy this season without a doubt but I believe he will excel in the playoffs and untill he proves otherwise, I'm runnin with that. I really believe with the cup on the line, he can turn it up to a notch not known of during the regular season.

Ozzie will once again rule over the land of playoffs !

OZZIE! OZZIE! OZZIE! OZZIE!

Cant wait for tomorrow, I know ozzie will step it up!!

Ozzy, give then hell! Show them now is your time! Step up and shut up the nay-sayers.

We all believe Ozzy.

Game 7, SC Finals, OT...I want Ozzie in goal.

Go Osgood, give them the middle finger once again. :thumbup:

Haters...

LET'S GO WINGS!

I believe in Chris Osgood.

I had it as my sig mid-season, and I still believe it now.

Go Ozzie!

And to the underlined part, it's rather funny that I said this earlier on in the season, that Ozzie just needs pressure of losing his starting job (or at least the pressure of being a backup trying to earn the starter spot) to light a fire under his ass, which I'm fairly sure I was criticized for by what some here call "Ozzie lovers", but I also show some friggen faith (which has been rewarded FOUR times in the last eleven years) in management's/coach's decisions, to go with him, and especially with Ozzie who is in this situation, and can wipe the slate clean come playoff time. Being realistic, as the article plainly points out, that the team is still winning despite his struggles during the season, they, like the Wings management, understands Ozzie (as well as every other player on this team) only needs to be good enough to help this team win.

A winning formula and attitude is not "woes me, Ozzie has a horrible GAA/Save%, we're doomed!"

It's, get your s*** together Ozzie, we believe in you, and you've rewarded our belief in you before. And my faith is primarily in proof in the pudding, which Ozzie and the Wings management have both delivered on numerous times now.

Edited by Shoreline

Ozzy has played terrific, and sometimes I think we forget this is a 36-year-old goaltender. The last couple games he has really been battling flu and dehydration, but managed to play lights out both times.

Scary indicator on just how banged up and tired Ozzy is playing right now: post-game press conference tonite, right after discussing the short layover between series, Osgood winces and tries to lean towards Cleary/away from the mic, but it clearly picks up him saying "ugh, I'm seizing up... my legs...", looks extremely impatient to get out of there, when the questions keep coming he lets out another wince and a "jeeze"

I noticed that too, b.shan. You can attribute alot of that to the fact that it's not easy to come off of that kind of exertion and then go and SIT. Especially as you get older. (Trust me on the "as you get older" part....). You really need to get in a good 20 or so minutes of light exercise, so that you allow the muscles to cool down slowly. If you go from intense exertion to a total standstill your muscles seize up. It happens at any age, really, but it's more severe as you get older.

Oz was great tonight.

Hopefully he'll continue to be so. The Wings are gonna need him.

Guest Shoreline
What about me? :(

I'm getting there. TONS of posts to search through. Most of those were from one topic before Game 1 of the Wings/Jax series. :)

Found one of yours already. :P

Was also editing in more negative nancy posts for us all to poke fun of.

Edited by Shoreline

I'm getting there. TONS of posts to search through. Most of those were from one topic before Game 1 of the Wings/Jax series. :)

Found one of yours already. :P

Was also editing in more negative nancy posts for us all to poke fun of.

:lol: I'm just messin'

Guest Shoreline
I believe him. Ozzie's a great goaltender and he always steps it up in the playoffs. I have no doubt he'll do it again.

GO GET 'EM, TIGER! RAWR.

I expect this to be an epic thread.

In any event, this comment --> ......THAT is what matters here. We want them to win (clearly), so put your faith in Ozzie and hold on to your peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

to me, its good that Ozzie is named the starter.

as much as he has struggled this year @ times, everyone knows he really is a proven playoff winner who doesn't get rattled in the playoffs.

ty conklin....not in the same boat. Decent goalie, but decent goalie's dont take a team to a Stanley Cup.

i feel much more comfortable going into the playoffs w/ a guy who has been part of three championship teams, and has been the starter on two of them. he still has it.

Stop getting hurt Koko, geez.

Whatever goalie was to start in the playoffs would have my full 200% support. I hope Ozzie plays out of his mind and proves everyone who doubts him wrong. I'll be cheering him and the rest of the team every step of the way.

I'm actually pretty excited about Osgood right now. You know he's going to turn it up for the playoffs and he's been looking good down the stretch here when he's had even half a defense in front of him. I still am not convinced by any stretch that Osgood won't equal last years playoff performance. I've just learned to trust the guy to do what he needs to when it counts. I also trust that he's a pretty honest and reasonable guy. Again, maybe it's just watching the guy since he was a rookie every season and even following his seasons with the Isles/Blues. He tends to call it how it is and again, he has been able to make it happen when it counts most numerous times. There's never been a playoff series loss that can be pegged on Osgood. Not one.

I'm not going to go gold mining my own quotes right now (anyone who wishes to can feel free), but I'm pretty sure I'm enough of a nuisance here that various posters here can verify these claims.

Claims I have made during the course of the 08-09 season that have got me s*** for most of it. Particularly notable ones (aka those that got me the most flak) bolded:

Osgood will be a beast in the playoffs, despite his regular season, because he's one of the best.

Cleary's production would be up for the playoffs, like we saw pre-injury last year.

Franzen's success would continue and increase (this one not so much, but some posters)

Filppula is being massively underrated, and it would show in a massive increase in his production in the playoffs (he's near PPG), and would also show why the Wings org values him over Hudler.

Wings would be dominant over their opponents in physical play (they have been)

Chelios will see playoff ice time and not be the death of us (he has, and he hasn't. Been pretty good for our #7 guy, all things considered)

Lebda will be better in the playoffs (he has been)

Fortunately, my list of "wrongs" isn't that big right now. Feel free to dig up some dirt on me if you want to balance things out.

Edit: Shoreline, I'm hurt that you didn't include me in the Osgood lovers quotes. Or is it because those 2 page rants I always do doesn't fit? :P

Edited by Datsyerberger

I have to get this off my chest...

I was really frustrated with Osgood this regular season (As compared to Conlkin) and I remember saying that the Wings will not win the cup with Osgood in net, completely forgetting who lead us to the Stanley Cup this previous year!

From worst GAA and S% in the regular season, to the best GAA and S% of all remaining goalies ;)

Boy was I ever wrong, Osgood is a beast! LETS GO RED WINGS!

No Lidstrom, No Datsyuk, No Ericsson, No Lilja.

We're talking the best defensive forward, and three of the top six defenseman on the team. And, he allows 2 goals in 2 games, closing out the series.

Chris Osgood is a hero.

Osgood has really jacked up his game for the playoffs. You can knock him for having his worst regular season save % and GAA in his career during the 2008-09 reagular season, but all that's a moot point if he has 75 career playoff wins and another Cup to his bio in the next few weeks.

I can't blame people for losing faith in Ozzie when his performance dipped in the regular season but after what he did for the Wings last year, I can say I was disappointed to see them express it as much as they did. He was winning after all and neither him or the defense looked that good.

I did feel his play had picked up in the end and that he deserved the starters job out of respect for last year if nothing else. They did it for Dom when Osgood was clearly playing better and this year he deserved the respect.

I defend Ozzie on HF a lot and have seen things like Osgood doesn't do the things elite goalies do, steal games or series for his team. Ozzie could never be needed to carry the great and mighty wings for he only wins because he is lucky enought to have play on that great and mighty team.

Last night wasn't the first time Osgood has both stolen a game/ series for the Winged wheel, the first round last year is a easy example of another time he hit the switch, transformed into Os-god and shut the door.

Last night on HF I posted that if any of the other great goalies they feel are/were better than Ozzie had played that game, it would have been epic. They would tell you how ***** picked up his injured team and carried them into the cup to defend their title.

There would be no question as to whether or not that the goalie was elite or deserved to be in the top ten. His place in the HOF would be unquestioned. That is of course any goalie not named Osgood, he will never be able to do enough in their eyes to deserve anything.

Last night a goaltender by the name of Osgood rubbed their noses in it and showed why when asked, wouldn't you rather have Luongo, Ozzie fans just laugh.

Hopefully next year his critics will think twice before they spew their venom onto the keyboard because if they don't, someone is going to tell them to STFU and learn to appreciate what the man has provided.

One more thing.

In 97, someone brought a sign that said Mike , we're sorry. I think it's time someone broke out the magic markers for Ozzie.

Edited by denverswingsfan