• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingslionstigers

Wheres all the Filppula haters now?

Rate this topic

Seems to me hes tied in 3rd for points in the playoffs now that he gets some god dam ice time on the second line. On top of that hes one of our best defensive players on our team. Hmm what was his salary again? Yeah thats what i thought.

he's played AMAZING these entire playoffs and had a great year considering his delegation to a 3rd line role, from a 2nd line role the year before...

These same haters expect 4th liners to score 50 goals and 3rd pairing d-men to be a +25 at year's end...

WTF is this. Val is playing awesome hockey now. He did not meet expectations in regular season. Why would you make thread like this now. I mean, those who criticized him before were right, so what's the problem.

Seems to me hes tied in 3rd for points in the playoffs now that he gets some god dam ice time on the second line. On top of that hes one of our best defensive players on our team. Hmm what was his salary again? Yeah thats what i thought.

And he is +9 (behind Cleary [14] and Z [10]). Special ordered his jersey after Wings signed him long term - haven't seen any other 51s in the stands. Filps will only get better.

WTF is this. Val is playing awesome hockey now. He did not meet expectations in regular season. Why would you make thread like this now. I mean, those who criticized him before were right, so what's the problem.

Bingo.

I don't see the issue here. Filppula ratcheted his game up another 10 knots for the playoffs, especially in the conference finals. Does that mean people who criticized him during the regular season were wrong? Of course not. It's not like people were saying "he's not stepping it up against the Hawks!".

those who criticized him before were right

No they weren't everybody on this website is a bunch of stat boy jockeys. Sometimes i wonder if they even pay attention to the game. Probably to busy chit chatting with there buddies about the players stats during the course of the game instead of actually watching it..

When you go out of your way to say Filppula sucks and isn't worth his salary space because he was only on pace for 38-42 points during the season... When in fact hes playing on the 3rd line because Babcock wanted to role 3 solid lines. He was there to hold that line down and be a solid defensive line, that line wasn't there to put up points. Your not going to score points when your coach arranges your line to play defense. There goal was to not let the other team score and hold on to the puck not score goals! Scoring is just a bonus.

3rd line ice time. Playing with 3rd line players. His line playing a defense first style. Hmmm i wonder why he didn't get more points in the reg season. Must be right, it was because he didn't play good during the reg season. Filp is a setup man and needs to play with talent that can finish. He played just as great during the season as he is now. Only difference is hes on the second line playing with real talent and getting the ice time he should be getting. GET IT?

Edited by wingslionstigers

Haha. Nice try. I love how I'm a "hater" because I didn't buy into the ZOMG FLIP IS DA BEST FORWARD BZIDES DAts N Hanky!!!!!

Filppula is playing well right now - theres no denying that. But that doesn't change anything that was said earlier in the year, when he struggled to break 40 points and couldn't pot more than a dozen goals. My response to Filppula "lovers" has always been that his skill-level is exaggerated on this board, and until he show offensive prowess on a more consistent basis (and an ability to score goals) it will continue to be that way.

Lets not forget that Cleary has 14 points, too, and that Datsyuk, statistically speaking, has been a 3rd line grinder so far these playoffs, not even able to break the top 7 in forward scoring. Meanwhile Helm has more goals than Holmstrom and Lebda nearly as many points as Kronwall. This hasn't exactly been the type of playoff run that is indicative of the greater talent of our players on the ice.

No they weren't everybody on this website is a bunch of stat boy jockeys. Sometimes i wonder if they even pay attention to the game. Probably to busy chit chatting with there buddies about the players stats during the course of the game instead of actually watching it..

When you go out of your way to say Filppula sucks and isn't worth his salary space because he was only on pace for 38-42 points during the season... When in fact hes playing on the 3rd line because Babcock wanted to role 3 solid lines. He was there to hold that line down and be a solid defensive line, that line wasn't there to put up points. Your not going to score points when your coach arranges your line to play defense. There goal was to not let the other team score and hold on to the puck.

Flip didn't play up to expectations. Period. GLad he's doing well now, though.

Flip didn't play up to expectations. Period. GLad he's doing well now, though.

Agreed. I thought he would break out at some point this year. Still think it will happen though.

If you want to talk about regular season performances, then I say put those critical lenses on Helm. I mean come on, the guy's regular season stats are pathetic. Why, it's like he wasn't even there! :-)

call him federov, jr

played great in playoffs last year too

fedorov was a 35+ goal scorer in the regular season, not really much of a comparison except in terms of stepping it up in playoffs, which really everybody does.

Edited by wmubronco420

Haha. Nice try. I love how I'm a "hater" because I didn't buy into the ZOMG FLIP IS DA BEST FORWARD BZIDES DAts N Hanky!!!!!

Filppula is playing well right now - theres no denying that. But that doesn't change anything that was said earlier in the year, when he struggled to break 40 points and couldn't pot more than a dozen goals. My response to Filppula "lovers" has always been that his skill-level is exaggerated on this board, and until he show offensive prowess on a more consistent basis (and an ability to score goals) it will continue to be that way.

Lets not forget that Cleary has 14 points, too, and that Datsyuk, statistically speaking, has been a 3rd line grinder so far these playoffs, not even able to break the top 7 in forward scoring. Meanwhile Helm has more goals than Holmstrom and Lebda nearly as many points as Kronwall. This hasn't exactly been the type of playoff run that is indicative of the greater talent of our players on the ice.

Alright Younguns i know i called ya out. Not to fight but because i wanted to have a good discussion with you. No disrespect to you because i think your a wise individual. Though you seem to be in your own world at times and do not consider others points. Read my last post and take note to the last paragraph i just edited it and get back to me on MY point.

Cleary has gotten a much bigger role. With the pick up in play of the playoffs Holmstrom just can't cut it unless hes in the O zone. Hes becoming to much of a threat to be on the ice for 25-30 minutes with the top lines. Cleary has stepped up and been replacing him in front of the net. Cleary has always been a hard working player on top of that. He is a playoff type player.

Helm.... The guys just great, hes going to be something. Hardest working player on our team.

Alright Younguns i know i called ya out. Not to fight but because i wanted to have a good discussion with you. No disrespect to you because i think your a wise individual. Though you seem to be in your own world at times and do not consider others points. Read my last post and take note to the last paragraph i just edited it and get back to me on MY point.

Cleary has gotten a much bigger role. With the pick up in play of the playoffs Holmstrom just can't cut it unless hes in the O zone. Hes becoming to much of a threat to be on the ice for 25-30 minutes with the top lines. Cleary has stepped up and been replacing him in front of the net. Cleary has always been a hard working player on top of that. He is a playoff type player.

Helm.... The guys just great, hes going to be something. Hardest working player on our team.

As I've stated before, my opinion of Filppula has, and still continues to be, that his skill-level is exaggerated. In fact, my opinion is based much less on stats than of the product we all saw on the ice this past regular season, and through the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. Filppula has skill, but his decision-making is poor with the puck in the offensive zone more times than not. Lets not forget how many times he made the wrong decision with the puck in the first 2 rounds, just weeks ago.

I'm not denying the fact that Filppula has been playing well, and he has made some great plays in the offensive zone as well, but I'm not going to concede that hes reached a level that we should all expect he'll maintain. Hes picked up over half his points (8) against Chicago. I'm not taking anything away from him with that, but its still a small sample size.

Bottom line: I'd be much more willing to engage in this conversation if it were halfway through next season and Filppula had maintained a similar (not 8 points in 5 games similar) level of performance as we've seen in the playoffs.

Also, when it comes to Cleary, here's an interesting fact I didn't know, so maybe you didn't either. Outside of the fact that Filppula sees more ice time than Cleary does (only by 11 seconds per game, though), Filppula actually sees more PP time than Cleary:

Cleary PPTOI/g: 0:19s

Filppula PPTOI/g: 1:14

In fact, throughout the playoffs, Cleary hasn't even seen 4.5 minutes total on the PP, whereas Filppula has seen nearly 20 minutes on the PP. So while Cleary's role may be more important in the playoffs, it hasn't gotten any bigger.

I'm calling bulls*** on this one. Val was playing 2nd/3rd line minutes, often with players who weren't producing much, almost no PP time during the regular season. He was -4th- in ES scoring despite not being that high in ES ice time. Several of us were pointing that out and saying he was being underrated because of linemates + lack of PP time, and some of the haters were poo-pooing that away. They were looking at his stats too much and not his play.. and now they're eating crow for it.

Wow, we're rocking in the playoffs, our entire team is kicking ass and taking names. No sense in starting controversy. Who cares about regular season? Since when does regular season points win championships?

Whoever said Flip isn't worth his keep is ignorant and knows nothing about the game. Flip is a solid player and worth his keep... and he's only going to get better. Not sure why anyone (who is a Red Wings fan) would hate on Flip or his salary, but I'm sure there's ignorant fans everywhere. This Younguns poster sounds like a tool shed. (if he really did say these things about Flip... obviously he's ignorant about hockey if this is true). Who cares?, forget about it

Those who criticized him before were wrong. He did awesome in the regualr season. He had top 3 ES points on the team in the regular season. Just imagine if he got the PP time like Hudler did, he'd be around 60-70 points. All of this while playing amazing defense. He did NOT disappoint before, the people who ripped on him were wrong before. And now, there are still posters who wouldn't mind him traded.

6 game point streak and is tied for third in points among Wings and tied for third in +/- on the Wings. Also with the most Assists for the Wings and only 3 back of the Postseason leader in that regard as well. Boy has skills.

As I've stated before, my opinion of Filppula has, and still continues to be, that his skill-level is exaggerated. In fact, my opinion is based much less on stats than of the product we all saw on the ice this past regular season, and through the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. Filppula has skill, but his decision-making is poor with the puck in the offensive zone more times than not. Lets not forget how many times he made the wrong decision with the puck in the first 2 rounds, just weeks ago.

I'm not denying the fact that Filppula has been playing well, and he has made some great plays in the offensive zone as well, but I'm not going to concede that hes reached a level that we should all expect he'll maintain. Hes picked up over half his points (8) against Chicago. I'm not taking anything away from him with that, but its still a small sample size.

Bottom line: I'd be much more willing to engage in this conversation if it were halfway through next season and Filppula had maintained a similar (not 8 points in 5 games similar) level of performance as we've seen in the playoffs.

Also, when it comes to Cleary, here's an interesting fact I didn't know, so maybe you didn't either. Outside of the fact that Filppula sees more ice time than Cleary does (only by 11 seconds per game, though), Filppula actually sees more PP time than Cleary:

Cleary PPTOI/g: 0:19s

Filppula PPTOI/g: 1:14

In fact, throughout the playoffs, Cleary hasn't even seen 4.5 minutes total on the PP, whereas Filppula has seen nearly 20 minutes on the PP. So while Cleary's role may be more important in the playoffs, it hasn't gotten any bigger.

I can respect that. Next season with the salary cap the way it is comes the departure of atleast a couple players. Chances are hes going to be seeing a second line role on regular basis. When this happens next season.. You will be admitting to me how great it is to have a player like Flip for his low salary. I am not saying by any means Flip is a star player. It just pisses me off is when people complain about how hes not worth his salary based of his "stats" alone.

There is a reason why Cleary doesn't get no pp time is the thing. This playoffs Cleary has replaced Holmstrom on the top lines for the most part. Why? Holmstrom is getting slow. Unless we are in the offensive zone Homer is a liability. Clearys net presents has been huge, hes taking over Homers role and he can play a 2 way game on top of that. Now back to the PP. Holmstrom is weapon of choice here. There is no doubt Homer is better in front of the net. On the PP we don't need a 3rd forward to break into the zone, all we need is homer to get in front of that net and do what he does better than anybody.

Where do you get all these stats though i would like to check it out. I don't really watch the stats to much what i say comes from what i see in the games.

Edited by wingslionstigers

Wow, we're rocking in the playoffs, our entire team is kicking ass and taking names. No sense in starting controversy. Who cares about regular season? Since when does regular season points win championships?

Whoever said Flip isn't worth his keep is ignorant and knows nothing about the game. Flip is a solid player and worth his keep... and he's only going to get better. Not sure why anyone (who is a Red Wings fan) would hate on Flip or his salary, but I'm sure there's ignorant fans everywhere. This Younguns poster sounds like a tool shed. (if he really did say these things about Flip... obviously he's ignorant about hockey if this is true). Who cares?, forget about it

YG isn't ignorant, he's actually an outstanding poster, he just has no love for Filppula. Can't please everybody.

I think I was just lurking when these debates were going on, but I was disappointed with Val's play through about the first half of the season. But I noticed that he was creating good chances, but seemed to defer a bit too much in terms of shooting. Honestly, it reminded me of early Datsyuk... Flip doesn't have quite the skill of Dats, but they are similar. I hope the Wings hold onto Flip this coming offseason.

For me it was never "Flip Hate" but instead "Hudler Love" -- I do not think there is much of a chance we see both on the team next year, and I think Hudler's skillset is more unique, as well as having more room for improvement, than Filppula.

I would not want to lose Hudler, when I could trade Filppula.

I would love to keep both of them. Flip is playing great!

Edited by egroen

Bingo.

I don't see the issue here. Filppula ratcheted his game up another 10 knots for the playoffs, especially in the conference finals. Does that mean people who criticized him during the regular season were wrong? Of course not. It's not like people were saying "he's not stepping it up against the Hawks!".

Point being people were crying for a trade before .Well... who would be playing taking over the datsyuks big minutes, including power play and penalty kill at this point in time now

Sorry outside of datsyuk and zetterberg, the wings dont have any other top 6 center.. You can praise helm all you want but his game is not nearly as complete as vals...

Point being people were crying for a trade before .Well... who would be playing taking over the datsyuks big minutes, including power play and penalty kill at this point in time now

Sorry outside of datsyuk and zetterberg, the wings dont have any other top 6 center.. You can praise helm all you want but his game is not nearly as complete as vals...

Trading Filppula this year, before the trade deadline would have been asinine.

For me it was never "Flip Hate" but instead "Hudler Love" -- I do not think there is much of a chance we see both on the team next year, and I think Hudler's skillset is more unique, as well as having more room for improvement, than Filppula.

I would not want to lose Hudler, when I could trade Filppula.

I would love to keep both of them. Flip is playing great!

You can teach defense. When it boils down to it being good defensively means staying in position.

You can't teach Hudler's touch around the net nor his awareness. His slap pass is extremely underrated as well.

I've always thought Flip was a good hockey player, jack of all trades, but most importantly...overrated on this board. Still maintain that mindet. As you and YG have said, that's not taking anything away from his play as of late. Because him and Hossa on the same line has been money in terms of overall effort. You ask me that months ago and I laughed...