• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Wombat

Wombat

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

I think I was just lurking when these debates were going on, but I was disappointed with Val's play through about the first half of the season. But I noticed that he was creating good chances, but seemed to defer a bit too much in terms of shooting. Honestly, it reminded me of early Datsyuk... Flip doesn't have quite the skill of Dats, but they are similar. I hope the Wings hold onto Flip this coming offseason.

#22 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:01 PM

For me it was never "Flip Hate" but instead "Hudler Love" -- I do not think there is much of a chance we see both on the team next year, and I think Hudler's skillset is more unique, as well as having more room for improvement, than Filppula.

I would not want to lose Hudler, when I could trade Filppula.
I would love to keep both of them. Flip is playing great!

Edited by egroen, 28 May 2009 - 01:02 PM.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#23 tommingthepuck96

tommingthepuck96

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (Drake_Marcus @ May 28, 2009 - 09:40AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bingo.

I don't see the issue here. Filppula ratcheted his game up another 10 knots for the playoffs, especially in the conference finals. Does that mean people who criticized him during the regular season were wrong? Of course not. It's not like people were saying "he's not stepping it up against the Hawks!".

Point being people were crying for a trade before .Well... who would be playing taking over the datsyuks big minutes, including power play and penalty kill at this point in time now

Sorry outside of datsyuk and zetterberg, the wings dont have any other top 6 center.. You can praise helm all you want but his game is not nearly as complete as vals...

#24 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (tommingthepuck96 @ May 28, 2009 - 02:26PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Point being people were crying for a trade before .Well... who would be playing taking over the datsyuks big minutes, including power play and penalty kill at this point in time now

Sorry outside of datsyuk and zetterberg, the wings dont have any other top 6 center.. You can praise helm all you want but his game is not nearly as complete as vals...

Trading Filppula this year, before the trade deadline would have been asinine.

Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#25 dallas27

dallas27

It worked with Hossa, now it's Ilya's turn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (egroen @ May 28, 2009 - 02:01PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For me it was never "Flip Hate" but instead "Hudler Love" -- I do not think there is much of a chance we see both on the team next year, and I think Hudler's skillset is more unique, as well as having more room for improvement, than Filppula.

I would not want to lose Hudler, when I could trade Filppula.
I would love to keep both of them. Flip is playing great!

You can teach defense. When it boils down to it being good defensively means staying in position.

You can't teach Hudler's touch around the net nor his awareness. His slap pass is extremely underrated as well.

I've always thought Flip was a good hockey player, jack of all trades, but most importantly...overrated on this board. Still maintain that mindet. As you and YG have said, that's not taking anything away from his play as of late. Because him and Hossa on the same line has been money in terms of overall effort. You ask me that months ago and I laughed...

It's a Festivus miracle!!!

"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports." -Dr. Perry Cox

#26 KronwallCRUNCH

KronwallCRUNCH

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (YoungGuns1340 @ May 28, 2009 - 01:12PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I've stated before, my opinion of Filppula has, and still continues to be, that his skill-level is exaggerated.

I couldn't disagree with you more. His skill level has always been there; whether it's at even strength, on the PK, or PP. The guy has skill, you could never deny that. It was his point production numbers that were the issue.