• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Michgal89

Is anyone else sick of...

Rate this topic

The Wings being portrayed as old fogies? As if they're freaks of nature for having players like Chelios who can make the shots on goal at 47 ( correct me if i'm wrong). I just watched last night's videos on nhl.com, and both Z and Helm were asked questions about the age of the team. I wish the media would stfu about age already :glare:

yea i really dont get how the media doesnt understand why the wings have a fairly high average age. I see it as a good thing reall, not only experience-wise but it speaks to the way the wings bring up their prospects. They let them grow in GR and wait until they're completely ready to take it to the next level, unlike these other young teams who have a bunch of 20-yr old kids playing for them who are in no way ready to play in the NHL.

The Wings being portrayed as old fogies? As if they're freaks of nature for having players like Chelios who can make the shots on goal at 47 ( correct me if i'm wrong). I just watched last night's videos on nhl.com, and both Z and Helm were asked questions about the age of the team. I wish the media would stfu about age already :glare:

Yah, it's annoying.

Hossa - Prime of his career

Datsyuk - Prime

Helm - 2 years before Prime

Franzen - Prime

Zetterberg - Prime

Cleary - Prime

Samuelsson - End of Prime

Filppula - Entering Prime

Hudler - Entering Prime

Abdelkader - 2 years before Prime

Draper - 2 years after Prime

Holmstrom - 2 years after Prime

Leino - 1 year before Prime

Maltby - 3 years after Prime

Lidstrom - 2 years after Prime (but still better than everybody else!!)

Rafalski - Prime

Kronwall - Prime

Stuart - Prime

Ericsson - 2 years ahead of Prime

Lebda - Prime

Meech - Prime

Chelios - 14 years after Prime (***** retire already!!!)

Osgood - End of Prime

Conklin - Prime

I don't understand why anyone cares about age. There is a trade-off between age and experience up until about age 32-34. Then players start losing their wheels and the trade-off isn't worth it any longer. I think the Wings have a few good years ahead of them with the current squad, but will have to focus on finding a defenseman who's half of what Lidstrom is soon.

Lets compare, the numbers don't lie:

Detroit Forwards, average age 28.46 years

(Abdelkader 22, Cleary 30, Datsyuk 30, Filppula 25, Franzen 29, Helm 22, Holmstrom 36, Hossa 30, Hudler 25, Leino 25, Maltby 36, Samuelsson 32, Zetterberg 28)

Pittsburgh Forwards, average age 28.07 years

(Adams 32, Cooke 30, Crosby 21, Dupuis 30, Fedotenko 30, Guerin 38, Kennedy 22, Kunitz 29, Malkin 22, Satan 34, Staal 20, Sykora 32, Talbot 25)

Detroit Defensemen, average age 31.88 years (29.71 without Chelios)

(Chelios 47, Ericsson 25, Kronwall 28, Lebda 27, Lidstrom 39, Meech 25, Rafalski 35, Stuart 29)

Pittsburgh Defensemen, average age 30.0 years

(Boucher 36, Eaton 32, Gill 34, Goligoski 23, Gonchar 35, Letang 22, Orpik 28, Scuderi 30)

Now, let's look at the number of Stanley Cup Champions per team:

Detroit 37, Pittsburgh 5

Detroit has 8 players with multiple Stanley Cups, 6 who have won multiple Cups with the Red Wings

Pittsburgh has 0 players with multiple Stanley Cups, and 0 who have won the Cup with the Penguins

They have a slight edge with age, we have a HUGE edge with experience. I still like our chances.

Edited by bonan78

We've been hearing this 'they're too old' excuse since 1996, and now they've won 4 cups...and really maintained that veteran/young talent balance...

In fact, I'd argue that this year, they've got more young talent stepping up for them than ever.

Comparison

Detroit Forwards: Pittsburgh Forwards:

Abdelkader, 22 Adams, 32

Cleary, 30 Cooke, 30

Datsyuk, 30 Crosby, 21

Filppula, 25 Dupuis, 30

Franzen, 29 Fedotenko, 30

Helm, 22 Guerin, 38

Holmstrom, 36 Kennedy, 22

Hossa, 30 Kunitz, 29

Hudler, 25 Malkin, 22

Leino, 25 Satan, 34

Maltby, 36 Staal, 20

Samuelsson, 32 Sykora, 32

Zetterberg, 28 Talbot, 25

Average Age = 28.46 years Average Age = 28.07 years

Detroit Defensemen: Pittsburgh Defensemen:

Chelios, 47 Boucher, 36

Ericsson, 25 Eaton, 32

Kronwall, 28 Gill, 34

Lebda, 27 Goligoski, 23

Lidstrom, 39 Gonchar, 35

Meech, 25 Letang, 22

Rafalski, 35 Orpik, 28

Stuart, 29 Scuderi, 30

Average Age = 31.88 years Average Age = 30 years

(29.71 without Chelios) (31.0 without Goligoski, who only played 2 games)

Detroit Goalies: Pittsburgh Goalies:

Conklin, 33 Fleury, 24

Osgood, 36 Garon, 31

Avgerage Age = 34.5 years Average Age = 27.5 years

Looks pretty even to me, so why are we catching all this flak for being so old. I don't get it, the numbers don't lie.

Let's look at the Cup rings, shall we? I think that is the much more impressive statistic:

Red Wings Cup Rings = 37 Penguins Cup Rings = 5

Players with multiple Cups = 8 Players with multiple Cups = 0

Players who won Cup in Pittsburgh = 0

We have the players we do because they are champions, plain and simple. Advantage Red Wings

This post pretty much says it all. Good job

(Abdelkader 22, Cleary 30, Datsyuk 30, Filppula 25, Franzen 29, Helm 22, Holmstrom 36, Hossa 30, Hudler 25, Leino 25, Maltby 36, Samuelsson 32, Zetterberg 28)

(Adams 32, Cooke 30, Crosby 21, Dupuis 30, Fedotenko 30, Guerin 38, Kennedy 22, Kunitz 29, Malkin 22, Satan 34, Staal 20, Sykora 32, Talbot 25)

(Chelios 47, Ericsson 25, Kronwall 28, Lebda 27, Lidstrom 39, Meech 25, Rafalski 35, Stuart 29)

(Boucher 36, Eaton 32, Gill 34, Goligoski 23, Gonchar 35, Letang 22, Orpik 28, Scuderi 30)

Detroit 37, Pittsburgh 5

Detroit has 8 players with multiple Stanley Cups, 6 who have won multiple Cups with the Red Wings

Pittsburgh has 0 players with multiple Stanley Cups, and 0 who have won the Cup with the Penguins

They have a slight edge with age, we have a HUGE edge with experience. I still like our chances.

/THREAD!

It drives me up the walls because the Redwings have been old for more than a decade now. Seriously, why are they still surprised?

The Blackhawks are one of the youngest teams in the league and where did that get them?

Was the 02 team not much older?

Detroit 37, Pittsburgh 5

.... And the media must have us believe the p p p Penguins are just so freakin' unbeatable!!

They are like the same morons that thought the Titanic was simply unsinkable!!

I can think of a few better teams than s***tsburgh!!

I was just listening to 97.1 and got soo pissed! These ******* claiming to be Red Wing fans were saying that s***sburgh is going to win because their team is so young and blah,blah,blah and basically the wings are old and tired ! ? I kept reminding myself that these are the same ******* who will be calling after the wings win the cup saying they knew the wings would win and they are the greatest team in the history of the NHL. Sorry for the rant, I feel better now!

They say the same thing every year.

They are old and the Goal tending is suspect.

In the same breath they mention how the Wings are still the odds on favorite for the cup.

Do you think they will ever figure out that it is a balance between skilled youth AND veteran experience?

I get sick of pretty much every Red Wings stereotype. Whenever I come in contact with a fan of a different team, they always say the same talking points over and over again. None of it is true - ever. But it's completely useless to debate with these people because as soon as you're done owning one person, another dumbass walks up asking for the same treatment.

I've learned to pretend it never happened. If someone starts talking crap to me, I simply say "Stanley Cups" and that (usually) ends the conversation right there.

Oddly enough, a friend of mine who doesn't normally follow hockey just told me she doesn't like the Wings because they are always "so old and cocky."

I knew it was pointless to argue, so I just but my tongue and smiled inside as her LeBron James gave away a 22 point lead...

I never understood the obsession with age in all sports. There is very little difference between a 25 year old and a 30 year old, and there's very little difference between a 30 year old and a 35 year old. Therefore, there is only a minor change between a 25 and a 35 year old.

Sure, some players age really poorly, but that just shows it's not age but the individual player.

There is very little difference between a 25 year old and a 30 year old, and there's very little difference between a 30 year old and a 35 year old. Therefore, there is only a minor change between a 25 and a 35 year old.

That's quite a leap in logic you make there. There's also very little difference between a 20 and 25 year old and between a 39 and a 47 year old, so I'd rather have Chelios locked up for a few more years rather than Lidstrom since it will be less of a cap hit.. yes, I overdid your analogy, but the point you make here is extremely faulty.