• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
truebladearmy

NHL 09

Rate this topic

My friend and I are diehard NHL 09 fans. We often play one another to grueling ties, amazing comebacks, and OT's that leave us sweating and in need of a drink.

But, he is a Penguins fan, and I am a Detroit fan, and we're best at playing each of our teams respectively.

Starting tonight, we're going to play Game 1 on nhl 2009 (Full playoff rules and settings), Detroit versus Pittsburgh. We'll continue to play over the next few days until we have finished a full Best of Seven series.

Then we're going to compare our games to the real series, to include shots, hits, goals, OT's, wins, losses, and so on.

Is anyone else in a position to do something similar? Have a little competition, see who's NHL 09 series is closest to the real thing :)

If there's any interest, I'll post the results of our series as we complete games :-p

My friend and I are diehard NHL 09 fans. We often play one another to grueling ties, amazing comebacks, and OT's that leave us sweating and in need of a drink.

But, he is a Penguins fan, and I am a Detroit fan, and we're best at playing each of our teams respectively.

Starting tonight, we're going to play Game 1 on nhl 2009 (Full playoff rules and settings), Detroit versus Pittsburgh. We'll continue to play over the next few days until we have finished a full Best of Seven series.

Then we're going to compare our games to the real series, to include shots, hits, goals, OT's, wins, losses, and so on.

Is anyone else in a position to do something similar? Have a little competition, see who's NHL 09 series is closest to the real thing :)

If there's any interest, I'll post the results of our series as we complete games :-p

Full 20 min periods?

I would image your stats would be a bit padded

On that game, does Bettman present the cup or anything, and the crowd boo him like crazy? Just wondering how real it is. The last NHL EA Sports game I bought was 2002 I think...

It's definitely the best hockey game out there. Can't wait for NHL 2010. After whistle scrums are going to be a blast.

Edited by adam12

It's definitely the best hockey game out there. Can't wait for NHL 2010. After whistle scrums are going to be a blast.

oh wow, thanks for the link. i had no idea they released some notes regarding 2010 already. can't wait for this.

if anyone wants to play on live my gamertag is "evnbartlett"

only time i use my 360 is to play hockey so it'd be nice to have some wings fans to play with.

NHL 09 is the best game ever and it seems like NHL 10 will claim that title. EA is amazing at making hockey video games and I will not buy one made by any other company.

NHL 09 is the best game ever

Agreed, I bought the game in September and there hasn't been a day where I have not played it. Absolutely a fantastic game. :thumbup:

A BIG problem with NHL 2009 is what we call "the comeback rule".. Whenever one player takes a lead (1, 2 or 3...............), youc an notice how the other team gets advantaged, to even up the score...

Yesterday I was leading 4-0, and in 5 shots it became 4-4.... It's like the goalie can't touch the puck anymore until it's in the net!! I wish EA would fix this, it's terrible!!!

A BIG problem with NHL 2009 is what we call "the comeback rule".. Whenever one player takes a lead (1, 2 or 3...............), youc an notice how the other team gets advantaged, to even up the score...

Yesterday I was leading 4-0, and in 5 shots it became 4-4.... It's like the goalie can't touch the puck anymore until it's in the net!! I wish EA would fix this, it's terrible!!!

If you think that is bad, I was down 6-0 going into the third. Scored 7 in the third to win 7-6. It's crazy.

A BIG problem with NHL 2009 is what we call "the comeback rule"

Yeah I've heard of that. I really haven't played online much but a buddy of mine mentioned the same exact thing.

I think the "Comeback rule" is part myth. I use to think I noticed it too, but now I play the game on Superstar mode against the computer, and now that I've played dozens and dozens of games against buddies in my barracks, I no longer believe it is as steep as people like to think.

The "theory" behind the comeback rule is that it simulates "pushes" in hockey, ie. You get a goal and the other team plays better to compensate. But in reality, I've noticed time and time again, that much like in real hockey, it is more a matter of mentality, and motivation.

It's difficult to play 15 minutes straight on the top of your game. And it's natural if you have a lead to ease up the pressure, and lose a bit of focus. When I notice myself doing that, that is generally when my friends tend to score comeback goals. I've learned to tighten down after I score, take that "revenge" momentum out of them (The player, not the computer), and since I've noticed the fluxation in just the way we're thinking, and paying attention when we play, I think it's pretty realistic.

Lets face it if you're down 2-0 against player or computer you try REAL hard which often leads to those miraculous comeback goals. If you get frustrated, you taper off, and seem to lose control of the puck. Sound anything like real hockey?

Sometimes I now take a break, pull the puck behind my net, and set up a fresh rush if I realize I'm shooting crap, and having a rough time getting passes through. I try to be aware of when I'm frustrated and making desperate plays, and change up my strategy a bit. A lot of average players will try something over and over and over again to no avail, because subtley the defender becomes aware of what they're doing, while the person doing it does not.

There's a lot of psychology in hockey, and it's true for the video game too. I played my friend last night and came out fast and hard, pumped after having won 3 games in a row against other people. I was 2-0 within the first few minutes of the game, but he battled back. I started to defend my lead, and suddenly he had it tied. But there wasn't any "comeback bonus" offered to him. I just got lazy. I made the turnovers that lead to the goals. I had my guys out of position. And so on. He went ahead on that momentum to take me down to 3-2 going into the 3rd period. I grabbed a beer, smoked a cigarette, and blam, opened the third with two goals in under a minute. He then fought back hard to tie it. I won it in the shootout.

I think "comeback bonus" is less computer controlled, and more player done. You go ahead, and you get lazy, you'll miss checks, miss pokechecks, drop aggression level, and bam, just like that they're back in it. If you really think about it, I garuntee nobody plays with the intensity up 2-0 that they did when it was still 0-0.

Think about it :-p Pay attention to your mood, motivation, attitude and such next time you play. Try to determine when you're openly slacking off, or subtley just sitting on it, versus how you do when you're really applying pressure and everything is clicking.

------

As for the hits issue, it's hard to be REALLY good at NHL 09 if you ARE using a lot of hits (Though this is the button most people use most often). Granted, the hits are always going to be way more than the real game, but my hitting has gotten cut nearly to 1/4 it was when I started playing, simply because I use more pokechecks, stick lifts, hooks, and subtle plays that keep my players in position, and in control of the puck. I save hits for when I know I can take them out, and get the puck for near certain (Second man to pick it, or I know they have no chance of staying on their feet)......since a lot of times in NHL 09 if you hit someone they'll end up with the puck again afterward, and even though you laid them out.....you're out of position and they're on a break.

Not saying I'm a super pro, but I've gotten pretty damn good at that game :)

I play NHL 09 like its a religion when i get a chance. :)

I play on xbox and my gamertag is Arauge1981 if any of you are up to some friendly matches.

I won't curve shot unless you do it. :)

Wow, I love the fact that you can get penalties after the whistle. I also love being able to bat at the puck in mid-air. So many times I play, get a big juicy rebound in the air, and can't do anything. So that is definitely going to be good.

And, the fans waving towels in the playoffs should be pretty wicked as well. Can't wait for this game.

Guest lnvincible
If your looking for a good challenge on NHL 09.
Gamertag = TeH DaZzle

If you think that is bad, I was down 6-0 going into the third. Scored 7 in the third to win 7-6. It's crazy.

i need you to look me back up... brivers222

i had to renew my 'subscription and it took a bit longer than i thought

I pretty much suck with online play but that is namely because i use the classic controls and havent figured out how to use the skill stick to deke and shoot and s*** lol