• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MidMichSteve

Hossa's cup quest garners little sympathy

Rate this topic

Thought it funny how other team's fans feel about Hossa and his quest for the cup.

Original Topic

How many of you are cheering for a team out of hatred for the other?

The wings and the pens both get a lot of hate directed towards them, but how many of you are actually rooting/cheering for one team just because you loathe the other team?

devils fan here............gotta hate hossa.........just lose again will you!

I don't hate the Wings, I actually have a lot of respect for them, but I will be supporting the Penguins mainly so that a different team wins the cup for a change. It's been a while since their last Cup and Detroit has won it enough over the last 12 years.

I also don't hate Marion Hossa, but I can't help feeling that it would be a bit amusing if Pittsburgh won this time.

I should have more reason to hate the Pens, but the idea of Hossa losing twice in two years on opposite teams is too funny.

Go Pens!

Nothing against the Red Wings as a whole and their well-oiled organization is the envy of the league.

I hate the Pens and I want to see Hossa get the Cup.

yes. Not even for my hatred of Detroit, but I want to see this whole thing blow up in Hossa's face. Make him look like a moron. He really screwed Pittsburgh.

i'm going to root for the pens, just so hossa can be on the losing side again.

You said it. He can then sign a 1 year contract with Pittsburgh in the offseason.

I can't stand the Wings. Hate them more than ANY team in sports. I'm not fond of Pittsburgh either, but they're by FAR the lesser of two evils. And I'd like to see the player many call Judas get embarrassed. It would make me laugh a little.

Your hate is fuel to the fire that is Red Wing fan arrogance. Please, tell me more!
Edited by MidMichSteve

I do have to admit this is a very intriguing storyline. If Hossa doesn't win the cup with Detroit this year, you know the media and fans will be all over him for making "the wrong decision". Really though, he took a risk making this decision. Signing a one year deal at a reduced rate for a chance to win the cup with Detroit. If Pittsburgh won, their fans will be laughing at him for leaving. Well, if he did sign with the Pens, who says they would be in the same situation they are now? After all, the pickups of Guerin and Kunitz were huge for them as was a change in coaching.

The best that Hossa can get out of this is to win the cup with Detroit and put a lot of these fans in their place. It will also hopefully bring other skilled players to Detroit willing to take that paycut in order to win a championship.

well of course no one is going to like it... he isn't winning it with their team....

how many on here would be jumping for joy if Fedorov and the Capitals won the cup this year... or if Ozzie and Islanders won the cup a few years ago...

I wouldn't expect many outside of the Detroit to be happy for Hossa TBH

Everyone is talking about how funny it will be if Hossa loses in the final again.. but they're not thinking about how funny it would be if he wins it this time.

"If you can't beat them, join them."

It's going to feel so warm and fuzzy when Hossa is skating around with the cup...

cartman.jpg

"Yes! Yes! Oh let me taste your tears, Cindy! Oh, the tears of unfathomable sadness! Mmm-yummy! Mmm-yummy"

This Hossa stuff is ABSURD. All people ever say is that these greedy athletes only care about winning. So why is it that a free agent takes a salary for only 1 year and for far less than he's worth b/c he wants to play on a good team...and he gets labeled a soul-less mercenary?!

Hossa was TRADED to Pittsburgh. He never signed a piece of paper saying "I will play X years for Y amount of dollars in Pittsburgh". He did do that with Ottawa, only to have them ship his butt over to Atlanta. If you don't like free agency and think that all players should be commodities bought and sold by NHL clubs without the player's input, than that's your problem. But all we ever say is that we want to believe these players are genuinely interested in winning, and now they're hating on Hossa for doing just that?

The NHL's annual rental market at the deadline is a big part of this problem. No other sport has this garbage to the extent the NHL does. Well, I guess you see it a little bit in baseball (Sabathia to the Brewers), but it's bad for the fans. Pittsburgh fans should have been informed enough to realize that they never "owned" Hossa any more than the Wings will after July 1 of this year...they were just "borrowing" him for a playoff run.

I do have to admit this is a very intriguing storyline. If Hossa doesn't win the cup with Detroit this year, you know the media and fans will be all over him for making "the wrong decision". Really though, he took a risk making this decision. Signing a one year deal at a reduced rate for a chance to win the cup with Detroit. If Pittsburgh won, their fans will be laughing at him for leaving. Well, if he did sign with the Pens, who says they would be in the same situation they are now? After all, the pickups of Guerin and Kunitz were huge for them as was a change in coaching.

The best that Hossa can get out of this is to win the cup with Detroit and put a lot of these fans in their place. It will also hopefully bring other skilled players to Detroit willing to take that paycut in order to win a championship.

And I would disagree that it's a "wrong decision." I think the decision has already been validated by the fact that the Wings are in the Cup Final and that Hossa had a monster year. If his goal is simply to sign the biggest deal with the most years and overall salary available, one thing the haters seem to ignore is that he could still sign that deal THIS offseason with the team of his choice. Who's to say that his value hasn't gone up even more than it was last year around this time?

The Pittsburgh fans are jealous that he wanted off their team and went to the team that beat them in the Finals. But the haters can't have it both ways--either Hossa is a Stanley Cup cancer and you don't want him on your squad, or he's a valuable player and you think your team would have been better had he stayed with you. The entire "traitor" argument was prefaced on the idea that Hossa was valuable and he "screwed Pittsburgh" by leaving, so you can't argue "Meh, we don't need him"

Good more people to piss off when the Wings win their 12th cup this year

I'm a Pen's fan, and have no problem with the decision Hossa made. The only thing that angered Pen's fans was that he took FOREVER to make his decision. While we waited, (assuming we would resign him) we let other players walk to other teams because we could not afford them with Hossa's contract too.

I like Detroit. Always have, but this year I'd like to see them fall short. :)

Hossa was a playoff rental for Pittsburgh. He had no firm roots with the Pens. The coaching was terrible, his teammates (some of them) were leaving, and his lease was up. I'm pretty sure he knew that team was going to go south - which is exactly what happened until they fired Therrien and made some trade deadline decisions. And even then, they barely squeaked into the playoffs.

He's 30 years old without a Stanley Cup. Who, in that position, WOULDN'T go to the team that just won it? That was/is his best chance.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that Hossa was a a rental for Pitts. He's a rental for Detroit (unless Kenny works some magic of course). It boggles my mind that some fans can call a player "Judas" after he spends half a season with their team and leaves as a UFA the next year. Maybe the neurons don't fire as quickly in some parts of the country.

Further, Hossa came to Detroit because he thought they had the "best chance" to win a cup this year. There is no guarantees of anything. He made as informed of a decision as he could at the time. Seeing as Detroit is now in the SCF means that he made the "right decision" even if Detroit loses. He doesn't have a crystal ball to know who would win in '09. If pitt wins this year it doesn't mean that his decision was wrong. He made a pretty accurate assessment last year by choosing one of the two teams that made it to the SCF in '09. If I had that kind of insight I would be on the first plane to Vegas.

Hossa was a playoff rental for Pittsburgh. He had no firm roots with the Pens. The coaching was terrible, his teammates (some of them) were leaving, and his lease was up. I'm pretty sure he knew that team was going to go south - which is exactly what happened until they fired Therrien and made some trade deadline decisions. And even then, they barely squeaked into the playoffs.

He's 30 years old without a Stanley Cup. Who, in that position, WOULDN'T go to the team that just won it? That was/is his best chance.

The coaching wasn't terrible. They had just made it to the Stanley Cup. One of the reasons the team went south was because the lack of a scoring winger.

This Hossa stuff is ABSURD. All people ever say is that these greedy athletes only care about winning. So why is it that a free agent takes a salary for only 1 year and for far less than he's worth b/c he wants to play on a good team...and he gets labeled a soul-less mercenary?!

Hossa was TRADED to Pittsburgh. He never signed a piece of paper saying "I will play X years for Y amount of dollars in Pittsburgh". He did do that with Ottawa, only to have them ship his butt over to Atlanta. If you don't like free agency and think that all players should be commodities bought and sold by NHL clubs without the player's input, than that's your problem. But all we ever say is that we want to believe these players are genuinely interested in winning, and now they're hating on Hossa for doing just that?

The NHL's annual rental market at the deadline is a big part of this problem. No other sport has this garbage to the extent the NHL does. Well, I guess you see it a little bit in baseball (Sabathia to the Brewers), but it's bad for the fans. Pittsburgh fans should have been informed enough to realize that they never "owned" Hossa any more than the Wings will after July 1 of this year...they were just "borrowing" him for a playoff run.

i agree... (though i think you worded your 2nd sentence wrong)

i think its refreshing for an athlete to be more worried about winning than he is about an extra million dollars on his salary... it shows me that he cares and he'll work his ass off because his main goal is to lift that stanely cup

Seeing as Detroit is now in the SCF means that he made the "right decision" even if Detroit loses. He doesn't have a crystal ball to know who would win in '09. If pitt wins this year it doesn't mean that his decision was wrong.

Your right, he left Pittsburgh to win the Cup. If Pitt wins, that means his decision was wrong. Detroit is an icon in this sport. They are certainly a team that all players would LOVE to play for. Just like in baseball, players like to play for the storied franchises, such as the Yankees or Boston. They give the best chance at winning year in and out. Pittsburgh has the chance to become a team that is back in the SCF for the next 3-4 years...that is why people did not understand his logic.

I read on this forum that everyone thinks the West is hard, and the East is far behind. If that is the case, is it not easier for the Pens to get to the SCF then Detroit?

Your right, he left Pittsburgh to win the Cup. If Pitt wins, that means his decision was wrong. Detroit is an icon in this sport. They are certainly a team that all players would LOVE to play for. Just like in baseball, players like to play for the storied franchises, such as the Yankees or Boston. They give the best chance at winning year in and out. Pittsburgh has the chance to become a team that is back in the SCF for the next 3-4 years...that is why people did not understand his logic.

I read on this forum that everyone thinks the West is hard, and the East is far behind. If that is the case, is it not easier for the Pens to get to the SCF then Detroit?

Which is why I'm convinced that he didn't leave Pittsburgh only because he thought Detroit had a better chance of winning the cup. If he liked it on that team, if he enjoyed playing under Therrien, then he would have stayed. A team with a core of Crosby, Malkin and Fleury is going to have a good chance of competing for the cup every year.

I think Hossa wanted to leave the Pens, if the Wings hadn't come up with an offer he would probably have gone to Edmonton or some other team.

Even if the Wings lose the final I doubt Hossa will be very disappointed with his decision to come here.

main difference...

hossa was a rental in pittsburgh via deadline deal

hossa wanted to play for the wings, and wants to remain a wing longterm if possible.

thus, pens fans cant be that bitter when he wants to do what's right for himself. he played a s*** role in ottawa, then was relied on for with kovalchuk in atlanta to do everything and then got shipped off to the pens to try and help them win a cup. hossa wants someone to help HIM win a cup.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that most ( if not all) hockey players want to win the Stanley Cup? It sounds like a smart man to sign on where there is a good chance of doing so. My God, Hossa didn't break a life long contract with s***tsburgh to come here to play. Nor did he sign a deal with the devil to win a cup....or did he?... :ph34r:

The Pittsburgh team that is in the finals this year is not the same team that Hossa left last year. Win or lose, Hossa didn't make the wrong decision. People always forget that they have to look at things through the eyes of the moment. Hossa didn't leave this Cup Finals team, he left a sinking rathole that was changed halfway through this season.

The Pittsburgh team that is in the finals this year is not the same team that Hossa left last year. Win or lose, Hossa didn't make the wrong decision. People always forget that they have to look at things through the eyes of the moment. Hossa didn't leave this Cup Finals team, he left a sinking rathole that was changed halfway through this season.

QFT