• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
StormJH1

Ciccarelli/Bowman Feud?

Rate this topic

Sorry for the detour from all the Finals talk, but a friend of mine was talking to me about how Dino Ciccarelli belongs in the Hall of Fame, but that he had heard Dino did something to piss Scotty Bowman off, which was the reason Dino was traded. Also, that Scotty's influence is the reason Dino hasn't gotten into the Hall (aside from some of the other character issues).

I was a huge Dino fan in the 90's, but don't remember any of this at that time. Does anyone have any background or additional details on that? Thanks.

dino has always been my favorite....he had some problems with bowman...a bunch of guys didn't fit that system of hockey so they were let go or traded (Coffey. Primeau)...as far as not being in the hall....dino was arrested waaayyyy back for indecent exposure or some s*** and i think that has haunted him ever since. if you look up dino's numbers he is waaayyy up there with a whole bunch of the all time greats. he should be in the hall.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Dino was my favorite forward growing up. If I would've been a forward instead of a Dman I would've wanted to be Dino. He's one half of the reason why I have pretty much always worn #22 (Will Clark being the other).

Anyway, I don't know much about the Bowman fued. I have heard rumors that other issues have kept him out. These include, but are not limited to:

Dino being one of the few NHLers ever to serve jail time for an on ice incident. He bludgeoned Luke Richardson over the head with his stick many years ago. If you watch the video though it was violent but Richardson was facing him and didn't end up worse for wear. Still, Dino went apes*** and his behavior was totally unacceptable.

Another issue is an off ice one where he supposedly exposed himself to some folks. That one got him in trouble.

Apparently, the HOF has more to do with just your on ice play. If it didn't, Dino would be alock. An undrafted, pipsqueak, slow skating, mean little bugger that nobody really thought could play, winds up with 600 goals and 1200 points? That's HOF worthy statistically.

Oh yeah, and if there is truth to the Bowman feud, I believe Bowman sits on the HOF board or has voting rights so my guess is he's probably one of the "no" votes each time Dino's name comes up.

I dont know if the feud is stopping him from getting in the hall but there was one. I remember him saying Scott was one of the worst human beings. "Great coach. Lousy human being." Dino didn't fit the direction they were going and I think Dino was pissed and said what he felt. Shanny and him didn't get along either but Shanny dealt with it because he kept getting rings.

It's going to be a long time before Dino has another legitimate shot at getting in - there are a lot of guys ahead of him now elgible, and the next couple years will see a number of guys with better credentials as well (and no character problems).

Guest GordieSid&Ted
I've still never found the video of Dino sucker-punching Ciccone of Chicago.. I have it on VHS somewhere

That's a great clip. Absolutely hilarious. I used to have a huge collection of fight tapes and I remember that one. I think Dino got cross checked in the back about 30 seconds before that and while everybody is sort of milling around Dino just KO's Ciccone with a straight right. Totally cheap but totally funny too. Ciccone gets up enraged but can't get to anybody, I think Vladdy tackles another Hawk. Funny s***. If memory serves Mickey Redmond was commenting on the replay and even he chuckles a bit watching it again. Truly one of the sneakiest sucker punches ever thrown.

the only real memory I have of Dino is scoring on his own net. I don't remember any more specifics such as who we were playing or anything like that I just remember that. Wasn't a deflection either, straight up confusion and shot the puck right in.

the only real memory I have of Dino is scoring on his own net. I don't remember any more specifics such as who we were playing or anything like that I just remember that. Wasn't a deflection either, straight up confusion and shot the puck right in.

Wasn't that in the 95 playoffs or 96? I remember watching him do that I believe somewhere in that timeframe.

That's a great clip. Absolutely hilarious. I used to have a huge collection of fight tapes and I remember that one. I think Dino got cross checked in the back about 30 seconds before that and while everybody is sort of milling around Dino just KO's Ciccone with a straight right. Totally cheap but totally funny too. Ciccone gets up enraged but can't get to anybody, I think Vladdy tackles another Hawk. Funny s***. If memory serves Mickey Redmond was commenting on the replay and even he chuckles a bit watching it again. Truly one of the sneakiest sucker punches ever thrown.

Hell yeah! He looks left and right, makes sure the officials aren't looking.. and BAM!

Glad someone else saw it! :)

Are you sure you're not thinking of Paul Coffey scoring on his own net in the 1996 conference finals against the Avelanche?

Are you sure you're not thinking of Paul Coffey scoring on his own net in the 1996 conference finals against the Avelanche?

Right, everyone remembers that one. I don't recall Dino Ciccarelli ever scoring an own goal of any significance. In fact, I can hardly remember Dino doing anything besides standing right in front of the other team's net.

Probably my fondest memory of Dino was battling in the corner with Scott Stevens in that ill-fated 1995 Finals, where Stevens was smiling because Dino was the only guy actually competing with him. Other guys (most notably Shawn Burr) were doing things like handing the Devils' stick back to them after they dropped it. I always felt bad that Dino never got a Cup with us, because he was probably the only guy in that '95 series who truly understood what it would take to win.

Edited by StormJH1

I believe it all started in that shocking San Jose series of '94. Ciccarelli and Coffey complained that Bowman wasn't letting his offence loose and was instead stressing defensive play too much. They both believed that Detroit's offence was capable of pummeling the Sharks.

That is probably it. I was 9 so my memory is a little fuzzy this whole time I thought it was Dino. But the more I think of it, I really think you are right.

That is probably it. I was 9 so my memory is a little fuzzy this whole time I thought it was Dino. But the more I think of it, I really think you are right.

Publicly, the reasons for the trading of Ciccarelli was that Bowman didn't like the penalties he took and the timing of them. He was basically going in by himself. Bowman's idea of retaliation was to score on the resulting power play. Ciccarelli had other ideas. I have no idea if there was more privately.

Edited by CenterIce

Dino had the best quote after the Avalanche series when asked about shaking Lemieux's hand he said "I cant believe I had to shake that scumbag's hand, it makes me sick" also in 1987 dino pled guitly to indecent exposure when he went to get his mail butt ass naked when he played for washington. Dino sure as hell though deserves to be in the Hall of Fame 608 goals 592 assists. The hall of fame has a bug up their ass so he wont go in.

Players not in the hall of fame who deserve it.

Dino Ciccarelli

Doug Gilmour

Pavel Bure

Adam Oates

Cam Neely

Mike Vernon

Alexander Mogilny(wont be eligible till next year)

Dino had the best quote after the Avalanche series when asked about shaking Lemieux's hand he said "I cant believe I had to shake that scumbag's hand, it makes me sick" also in 1987 dino pled guitly to indecent exposure when he went to get his mail butt ass naked when he played for washington. Dino sure as hell though deserves to be in the Hall of Fame 608 goals 592 assists. The hall of fame has a bug up their ass so he wont go in.

Players not in the hall of fame who deserve it.

Dino Ciccarelli

Doug Gilmour

Pavel Bure

Adam Oates

Cam Neely

Mike Vernon

Alexander Mogilny(wont be eligible till next year)

These guys are running into the issue of only have 4 entries per year. They should expand this. Like this coming year, you have Yzerman, Hull, Robitaille, and others ready to come in.

Cam Neely is in the Hall of Fame (much to the chagrin of many).

There is a glut of players already to get in -- it will be a while before Dino gets serious consideration again.

Ciccarelli's last season was 1995-96. Part of his job was what Holmstrom does now: disrupting in front of the net. In his final playoffs with the DRW, he tried to get penalties called against Colorado and, instead got the penalties called against him. Mr. Bowman didn't like that and said so to the media. Dino didn't like what was said about him and said so to the media. Much like the year before, when Shawn Burr punched his own ticket for that early FLA retirement gig, Ciccarelli knew he was gone.

And, thanks to that little show he gave when he was in Minnesota, he has two chances of getting into the HHOF: slim and none, with the latter being the most likely.