• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Sal33n

Crosby and Malkin... who are they?

Rate this topic

Eric Staal, Rick Nash, and Milan Lucic are easily on the same level as Getzlaf.

And you know why Getzlaf was more of a threat? Because we weren't in close-coverage on Getzlaf. We were more concerned in breaking up plays as they were forming, because Getzlaf isn't as dangerous alone as Crosby or Malkin are. Every team that's lost to the Pens hasn't been in close-coverage on Crosby and Malkin. If you give these guys any room to work with, they're going to walk all over you unless your goaltender is standing on his head to a ridiculous extent.

Edit: Oh, and Jarome Iginla too. Forgot him.

All good players, but not on the same "power forward" level as Getzlaf. Therefore, I'll kindly agree to disagree with you on this subject.

All good players, but not on the same "power forward" level as Getzlaf. Therefore, I'll kindly agree to disagree with you on this subject.

You need to understand that I've played defense for 20 years, and I'm just going by everything I've learned. A playmaker or Crosby or Malkin's calibre absolutely needs to be covered 100% of the time, because if you give them any space, there will be a tap pass to someone sitting on the crease for a redirect that your keeper can't possibly stop.

I'm not really trying to tell you that your opinion is invalid, but I'm just letting you know that Crosby and Malkin's reputations as playmakers are there for a reason, and there's a reason that we'll stick Zata on Crosby for the entire game and have Lids parked on the crease when he's out there.

Edit: 70% of the scoring that the Pens have done in the playoffs has come from either Malkin or Crosby; I think that says something, don't you?

Edited by Theophany

If I have a choice between Crosby, Malkin, or Getzlaf in the draft, I take Crosby 100% of the time and twice on Sundays. The guy is a little ***** right now, but he has MASSIVE SKILL. Getzlaf and Malkin are great, but are a tier below Sidney. There's a reason Zetterberg is shadowing Crosby.

You need to understand that I've played defense for 20 years, and I'm just going by everything I've learned. A playmaker or Crosby or Malkin's calibre absolutely needs to be covered 100% of the time, because if you give them any space, there will be a tap pass to someone sitting on the crease for a redirect that your keeper can't possibly stop.

I'm not really trying to tell you that your opinion is invalid, but I'm just letting you know that Crosby and Malkin's reputations as playmakers are there for a reason, and there's a reason that we'll stick Zata on Crosby for the entire game and have Lids parked on the crease when he's out there.

Edit: 70% of the scoring that the Pens have done in the playoffs has come from either Malkin or Crosby; I think that says something, don't you?

Tells me that Pens lack depth. Shut those two down, they don't produce enough goals to make up for their defense holes and wishy-washy goaltending.

I guess if Crosby was the player that the media tells me that he is, he'd be able to break through Zetterberg. Apparently the two best forwards in the world got only 1 point between them, and had Osgood recovered his rebound in time, that goal would never had happened. Brain fart by Osgood that gave up an assist to the worlds best player.

I'm not saying these two guys are not good. They are good. But they are extremely over-hyped. As someone else mentioned, put Crosby and Malkin in the west and see how many points they put up.

If I have a choice between Crosby, Malkin, or Getzlaf in the draft, I take Crosby 100% of the time and twice on Sundays. The guy is a little ***** right now, but he has MASSIVE SKILL. Getzlaf and Malkin are great, but are a tier below Sidney. There's a reason Zetterberg is shadowing Crosby.

Not me, I'll take the big-powerful all around player with massive skills at defense. If I remember correctly, Getzlaf was also better at face offs. I tend to look a bit deeper than than just offense skillz.

Oh come on, really? I'll give you Staal and Nash, but Looch?

Lucic is much more of a defensive forward than any of the other guys I named, but he still gets it done in the offensive end. Yes, in my mind, he's just as much of an impact on a deep Boston team as Staal is on Carolina or Nash is on Columbus.

It just happens that Boston also has multiple great players in Savard, Ryder, and Kessel.

I'll take all the pregame hype on them, and then have the game owned by us - any ******* day.

This is dead on. It's still interesting to see all the Pens commercials, and all the replays from last year's finals, making it look like the Pens won or something. I laugh inside because I know the truth, but it's still annoying to watch, because any newcomer to the NHL will get spoon-fed all this Pens media garbage.

1. They're both great talents

2. They do benefit from playing in the EC (ultimately, though, this could stunt their development, as others have mentioned)

3. The Wings know how to smother them. That is to say: they disappear, yes, but only because they're forced into invisibility

4. If I could have one of Getzlaf and Crosby on my team, I'd pick the former. I don't think there's a more dominant, imposing forward in the league

5. Pens suck

whoah whoah whoah people... slow down. It's only been ONE game. Yes, we did a hell of a job shutting them down in game one but f***. it's a best of seven series. How bout we save the cup celebration til we actually win four games, shall we? :blink:

Lucic is much more of a defensive forward than any of the other guys I named, but he still gets it done in the offensive end. Yes, in my mind, he's just as much of an impact on a deep Boston team as Staal is on Carolina or Nash is on Columbus.

It just happens that Boston also has multiple great players in Savard, Ryder, and Kessel.

Lucic vs any of those power forwards you mentioned and they all win, hands down. I have not seen anything from Lucic to show that he has the ability to score 40 goals like Staal or Nash or to dominate physically like Getzlaf.

Lucic vs any of those power forwards you mentioned and they all win, hands down. I have not seen anything from Lucic to show that he has the ability to score 40 goals like Staal or Nash or to dominate physically like Getzlaf.

Err, have you watched a Boston game? Lucic is a monster on the boards and in their defensive end. BTW, he's tied for points in the playoffs with Rafalski, Byfuglien, Hudler, and Sammy, and he didn't play last round.

I don't know if he's on the same level as Nash, Getzlaf, Iginla, or Staal, but he's pretty close.

Regardless, we're getting off my point. Getzlaf is by no means the best power forward in the NHL. He's good, but he's not "the best".

Err, have you watched a Boston game? Lucic is a monster on the boards and in their defensive end. BTW, he's tied for points in the playoffs with Rafalski, Byfuglien, Hudler, and Sammy, and he didn't play last round.

I don't know if he's on the same level as Nash, Getzlaf, Iginla, or Staal, but he's pretty close.

Regardless, we're getting off my point. Getzlaf is by no means the best power forward in the NHL. He's good, but he's not "the best".

Not that I'm disagreeing much with you, but are you really using Boston as an example? BOSTON? What have they done? Who cares about Boston? They were 2nd round fodder for the Hurricanes...

At any rate...I don't think Getzlaf is the best either. He's great, not the best.

Not that I'm disagreeing much with you, but are you really using Boston as an example? BOSTON? What have they done? Who cares about Boston? They were 2nd round fodder for the Hurricanes...

At any rate...I don't think Getzlaf is the best either. He's great, not the best.

Err, 2nd round fodder being a team that went down 3-1 in games and came back and only lost in OT of game 7?

They're probably the deepest team in the East (and yes, that's sad). They were a #1 seed for a reason. :rolleyes:

Err, 2nd round fodder being a team that went down 3-1 in games and came back and only lost in OT of game 7?

They're probably the deepest team in the East (and yes, that's sad). They were a #1 seed for a reason. :rolleyes:

Uh, yeah dude. They went down 3-1 against a team that got swept in the next round. Come on. They fought back, admirable, but still lost. Deep teams don't get down 3-1...not sure I understand your argument.

Don't compare regular season stuff to post season stuff. Nobody cares that they were number 1 in the regular season, sincerely, SJ Sharks.

Edit: Mind you, they lost game 7 on home ice...

Edited by Firehawk