• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jake Ryan

Is Anaheim Cheating?

Rate this topic

One thing I cannot understand for the life of me is how the Anaheim Ducks' goaltenders manage to gobble up shots and freeze them better than any other team in the league. I'm not trying to take any credit away from Giguere and Hiller, but why are the Ducks' goalies consistantly able to freeze pucks when the shots hit them, while other goalies we face give up rebounds all over the place? I know their goalies are great position goalies and have a great coach, but something still seems off. All the other teams we play, the pucks don't get caught up in the goalies equipmnet as much. They bounce off, fumble, rebound out to the side, etc, just like they do with Ozzie at times. With the Ducks, any shot above 6 inches just ends up in the goaltenders blanket of a jersey. I don't get why the Ducks have this advantage over the rest of the league and nothing is done about it. I got to say, it's nice to watch the Wings play Chicago and Pittsburgh because I know there's a chance of the play continuing for more than 30 seconds at a time because the goaltender isn't going to swallow every puck fired at him. Does anyone know anymore about this?

Goaltending equipment made out of Tempurpeda foam?

More than likely it is that their goaltending coach teaches that part very well.

Just like how our net presence has been aided by Holmstrom's example and others on the team watching him over the years and learning.

I thought Hiller actually gave up some pretty juicy rebounds that series -- it's just that Anaheim's defense collapses on net and is extremely good at clearing away those second chances.

A lot of it is their defenders playing pinched on the crease and controlling the rebounds for Hiller/Giguere. Giggy gives up many less rebounds, as his rebound control is superior to Hiller's, but they both still give up a lot.

But having two huge guys in front of the crease does a lot for rebound control.

I thought Hiller actually gave up some pretty juicy rebounds that series -- it's just that Anaheim's defense collapses on net and is extremely good at clearing away those second chances.

Exactly, Hiller's rebound control was the biggest knock on him if I remember correctly.

Like any good competitors they take advantage of the rules as best they can, and so long as the NHL allows them to use mattresses as pads, they will have better then average low coverage, and they do have a great goaltending coach who will make sure they know what to do after the shot hits them.

Anaheim would have beaten the Pens in the Final if they would have gotten by us. No doubt in my mind.

Crosby would be missing an eyeball after Pronger was done with him. lol

Anaheim would have beaten the Pens in the Final if they would have gotten by us. No doubt in my mind.

Crosby would be missing an eyeball after Pronger was done with him. lol

Seeing Crosby with an eye-patch makes me laugh! ARggggghhhhhhhhhhh

One thing I cannot understand for the life of me is how the Anaheim Ducks' goaltenders manage to gobble up shots and freeze them better than any other team in the league.

It's because you've been watching Ozzie for too long. Makes great saves, then turns easy saves into huge rebounds for his whole career. He is the master giver of rebounds. It's a good thing he makes big saves along the way, like I said.

It's because you've been watching Ozzie for too long. Makes great saves, then turns easy saves into huge rebounds for his whole career. He is the master giver of rebounds. It's a good thing he makes big saves along the way, like I said.

You haven't been watching the playoffs, have you? :blink:

Absolutely they are cheating ... just the other day, on the 9th hole, Hiller hit two balls in the water but didn't take the penalty, and Giggy is notorious for carrying extra clubs. :ph34r:

Both Hiller and Giguere play a very similar style of netminding, heavily relying on a strong butterfly and being as big in the net as possible. They are both extremely good at gobbling up anything shot above their waist, and both have very good gloves.

Hiller's rebound countrol in particular, however, is weak when shooting at his pads. Both of those goalies are susceptible to on-the-ice plays; shooting five hole, shooting for rebounds off the pads and looking for cross-crease passes which can be tapped in easily. Unfortunately, Anaheim's defense is very good at making sure that those rebounds are cleared and not dangerous and are almost always able to take away any easy cross-seamers. The playing styles of their goalies and their defense are intertwined and work beautifully together.. but when you interrupt their defense's ability to defend their goalie, then the weaknesses emerge.

Hiller's rebound control was atrocious. He was poppin' 'em out like a goofy Swiss Pez dispenser.

One thing I cannot understand for the life of me is how the Anaheim Ducks' goaltenders manage to gobble up shots and freeze them better than any other team in the league. I'm not trying to take any credit away from Giguere and Hiller, but why are the Ducks' goalies consistantly able to freeze pucks when the shots hit them, while other goalies we face give up rebounds all over the place? I know their goalies are great position goalies and have a great coach, but something still seems off. All the other teams we play, the pucks don't get caught up in the goalies equipmnet as much. They bounce off, fumble, rebound out to the side, etc, just like they do with Ozzie at times. With the Ducks, any shot above 6 inches just ends up in the goaltenders blanket of a jersey. I don't get why the Ducks have this advantage over the rest of the league and nothing is done about it. I got to say, it's nice to watch the Wings play Chicago and Pittsburgh because I know there's a chance of the play continuing for more than 30 seconds at a time because the goaltender isn't going to swallow every puck fired at him. Does anyone know anymore about this?

please delete this thread.... like wtf? not trying to be mean but it just makes us look bad.

Absolutely they are cheating ... just the other day, on the 9th hole, Hiller hit two balls in the water but didn't take the penalty, and Giggy is notorious for carrying extra clubs. :ph34r:

Great Answer!! I about pissed myself!! FOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUURRRRRR!

QFT

and I mean... those were some veeery juicy rebounds which under a less stellar

defense would lead to sure goals.

the reason behind Ducks success according to me: string defense and good

positioning of their goalies.

Both Hiller and Giguere play a very similar style of netminding, heavily relying on a strong butterfly and being as big in the net as possible. They are both extremely good at gobbling up anything shot above their waist, and both have very good gloves.

Hiller's rebound countrol in particular, however, is weak when shooting at his pads. Both of those goalies are susceptible to on-the-ice plays; shooting five hole, shooting for rebounds off the pads and looking for cross-crease passes which can be tapped in easily. Unfortunately, Anaheim's defense is very good at making sure that those rebounds are cleared and not dangerous and are almost always able to take away any easy cross-seamers. The playing styles of their goalies and their defense are intertwined and work beautifully together.. but when you interrupt their defense's ability to defend their goalie, then the weaknesses emerge.

I actually remember high glove side being Giguere's biggest weakness. Otherwise I think you're spot on.