• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

10 Minute Misconduct

Malkin's penalty rescinded (merged)

Rate this topic

doesn't surprise me that you guys don't know the rule book.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280536

"The intent of the rule is pretty obvious - was the action premeditated, was it sending a message," explained NHL on TSN's Bob McKenzie following the game. "Evgeni Malkin was on the ice trying to score a goal at the end of the game. This one was born more out of frustration, then it was the Penguins trying to orchestrate some late game shenanigans, that is what the rule was put in place for and that is why the NHL reserves the right to rescind the rule if they feel the spirit of the rule is not being violated."

Deep down you guys know you have been outplayed 2 games and are lucky to be ahead. This series is just getting started. Good luck in game three.

Wah wah wah. I don't care how many posts you've hit. Hitting a post is not the equivalent of hitting the back of the net. In fact, there is absolutely no difference outcome-wise between hitting the post and shooting it 15 feet wide. Enjoy your s***ty, illogical excuses while we skate circles around your poor excuse for a hockey club, ******.

doesn't surprise me that you guys don't know the rule book.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280536

"The intent of the rule is pretty obvious - was the action premeditated, was it sending a message," explained NHL on TSN's Bob McKenzie following the game. "Evgeni Malkin was on the ice trying to score a goal at the end of the game. This one was born more out of frustration, then it was the Penguins trying to orchestrate some late game shenanigans, that is what the rule was put in place for and that is why the NHL reserves the right to rescind the rule if they feel the spirit of the rule is not being violated."

Deep down you guys know you have been outplayed 2 games and are lucky to be ahead. This series is just getting started. Good luck in game three.

As I already explained, the "sending the message" justification only makes sense if the rule was specific to the playoffs. It's not. It's a rule that applies to every game, regular season or playoffs. Players don't attempt to send messages in the regular season. The rule is unambiguous, and it's application shouldn't be subjected to a "Superstar Rule." Keep this up, and the NHL will start looking a lot like the NBA, a league replete with double standards.

Bob McKenzie's justification for the rescission was mind-numbingly stupid. He said that the rule exists to prevent players from "sending a message for the next game." If that were the case, it wouldn't apply in the regular season, because no one bothers to "send a message" to a team that they probably wont play again any time soon. The rule is unequivocal and the NHL's decision not to enforce it is bulls***.

the rule in unequivocal that the league will review the suspension.

I'm not at all bothered with Malkin not getting suspended but they really need to either rewrite this rule or add amendments to it for all the likely causes that could bring about an instigator penalty in the last 5 mins of the 3rd period. Because, like other have stated, they set the precedent earlier in the playoffs for this rule and it does not follow the rule that is written in black in white. Personally I think they should go back over the rules to make sure that what they want called are followed and leaves little room for multiple interpretations for the same rule. But that's just me.

The TRUE intent of the rule is to deter dirty play in a game that's already over. Fighting has an appropriate place in hockey, but if a game is lost (as this one was), the rule exists to prevent the kind of crap that Malkin pulled. The Penguins were not going to come back from a two-goal deficit in the final 17 seconds of the game. Thus, a fight instigated with that much time left should be subjected to a rule aimed at deterring the behavior.

bend the rules for Pitscrap, why not? Yeah, pens are worse with Malkin in anyhow, especially if he cannot control himself, hey Malkin, how about doing thar in the beginning of the game? Oh BTW, what are the odds the ref gets fined or ousted from the playoffs, by Bettman for even calling the instigator to begin with? NHL network sad it themselves, you cannot suspend Malkin, it wouldn't be good for the NHL not having #71 in game 3. I think when Wisneiwski and Campbell refered to the Wings as gutless, they really meant the NHL is. Can't even eforce your own rules. That is why the NHL is ranked behind the World Poker Tour in television ratings... Hey Gary, I thought you were trying to rid the NHL of goonery like that? What's that? What? Oh! The NHL needs Malkin in the lineup.... ok, I see. How about we give Talbot a match penalty for spearing Osgood then? Give us something that shows you have a pair!

My fiancee is a pens fan and told me that the pens site has the fans of course complaining about EVERYTHING on earth and also saying they should play goodard so he can break knees. Stay Classy Pittsburgh

If I remember, his cousin is a Wings fan, so if he did anything like that, she would break his knees. :D

trust me, it would be nice not having him in game 3, we should all agree in this, but it shouldnt be a deciding factor in a win for us. wings have done a great job making him almost invisiable. but any edge we can get would be great!

I'm not at all bothered with Malkin not getting suspended but they really need to either rewrite this rule or add amendments to it for all the likely causes that could bring about an instigator penalty in the last 5 mins of the 3rd period. Because, like other have stated, they set the precedent earlier in the playoffs for this rule and it does not follow the rule that is written in black in white. Personally I think they should go back over the rules to make sure that what they want called are followed and leaves little room for multiple interpretations for the same rule. But that's just me.

Actually, it does follow the rule as written, although the rule isn't black and white (as earlier quoted by Statts):

Rule 47.22

The Director of Hockey Operations will review every such incident and may rescind the suspension based on a number of criteria. The criteria for the review shall include, but not limited to, the score, previous incidents, etc.
Edited by Third Man In

Also, he called a five minute bench major on Detroit for not letting Crosby get on the board on the first two games.

It will start during Game 3, when ever the Pens want.

And Lids has to sit out.

Edited by thedisappearer

Just like in salary arbitration the power of suspensions and fines should go to a third party disciplinarian completely removed from any association with the league or union who adheres to the written rules.

Honestly, though, its the Finals, and I think it would be more bush-league to suspend him over a rule that so many people hate and think is unnecessary to begin with.

I say right call, despite going against the rulebook.

edit: replace thing with think

Edited by Echolalia

Once again, the NHL is a joke. Goes against their own cut and dry rule. I hate the instigator rule in every game situation EXCEPT final minutes of a loss teams throwing tantrums and jumping players. Malkin should have a one game suspension, not only for starting a fight at the end of a losing effort, but his clear jumping of unsuspecting smaller player with stick and gloves still in hand. Hell, our two best players got one game for missing Bettman's tea party in Montreal called the All-Star game.

The NHL never ceases to ruin its own legitimacy. Congrats Gary, your legacy is intact.

Edited by b.shanafan14