• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Icesurfer

Olczyk - biased analyst

Rate this topic

Guest lnvincible
Pierre is worse. Mike Milbury seems to like the Wings, though.

I liked his "Oh, here's your tissue, Pierre."

Your right, Pierre is sooo backed up on the pens nuts its funny. Mike Milbury says it how it is :P

There's no reason to get worked up about "biased" announcers.

Also remember, NBC, etc. would like to have some ratings if they get to show another game.... I'm sure they say some of this stuff so that the casual sports fan tuning in will get the idea that there's still a reason to watch even though the Wings swept the first 2 games.

Yeah, it was bad in the Chicago series, which I suppose is like asking Mickey to do national broadcast and not be biased, but still, their are other commentators who did other games, don't know why we had Olcyk the whole time. Finals he has continued his "Red Wings interference" foil-hat theory to the point that every play a Red Wing bumps a Penguin when both players are simply owning their ice you'll hear Edzo pop in with "more subtle interference by the Red Wings".

Let it go, Eddy.

Edited by b.shanafan14

It is so comical to listen to this ding-dong. The whole game he spent looking for any little indiscretion the Wings committed so the Pitts could get a power play. Does he have to make it so obvious who he is rooting for??? I thought analyst were suppose to be impartial.

Yeh.... he was head coach for 2 years for the Pitts and played for them for 2 years in the 90's.... so maybe he shouldn't be the analyst.

Unlike Larry Murphy..... who I think is great.... tries to be very impartial.

-=Heh=-

All analysts and news nowadays is impartial in one way or another on almost every topic from religion to politics, it is almost impossible to get a strait unbiased presentation on any topic anymore.

Yeah, it was bad in the Chicago series, which I suppose is like asking Mickey to do national broadcast and not be biased, but still, their are other commentators who did other games, don't know why we had Olcyk the whole time. Finals he has continued his "Red Wings interference" foil-hat theory to the point that every play a Red Wing bumps a Penguin when both players are simply owning their ice you'll hear Edzo pop in with "more subtle interference by the Red Wings".

Let it go, Eddy.

maybe the ratings last year showed the pens coach got alot of viewers, so they needed someone parroting his talk from last year?

Pierre is worse. Mike Milbury seems to like the Wings, though.

I liked his "Oh, here's your tissue, Pierre."

haha, it's pretty sad when Milbury (who is really just being un-biased) is referred to as liking the Wings....

the only difference is he doesn't DISLIKE the Wings, he's doing what a REAL broadcaster should - calling a game un-biased.

Pierre fits in perfect with the NHL - a joke of a broadcaster, calling for a joke of a league... I love the Wings and hockey with every drop of my blood, but the NHL has become a joke - Betman is SO overdue of a pink slip, it sickens me... also, Campbell has done an ok job, so I don't have a problem with him per se, but as a former player, he's too forgiving of bs on-ice incidents and I think the disciplinary actions need to be delegated to someone else... maybe like "director of player conduct" or something of the sort

here, let me fix your league in 3 personnel changes

Commissioner - Betman out, Dryden in

Director of operations - Campbell stays in, but steps down as "disciplinary czar"

appoint Ray Scapinello "Director of Player Conduct"

done.

Edited by stevkrause

Eddie's a Hawks guy when he's not on NBC. He's biased against the Wings, IMO.

In fact I thought the whole NBC crew (including Panger!) were shilling for the Pens at every opportunity. They even cut into their planned Ozzie (considering how long Ozzie's played and how textured his story is, they spent very little time on him) love to slather over Crosby and Malkin last night. Every storyline that NBC followed found a way to mention Crosby and Malkin in a positive way. When they should be focusing on the Pens failures and Fluery's goal tending.

The word's come down from the NHL: showcase Crosby and Malkin until they're blue in the face. With the ratings down, so far, this year, I think viewers are sick of hearing about Crosby and Malkin. They might be sick of seeing the Wings in the Finals too, I know that nobody here in Chicago (that I know, besides me, my wife and one neighbor) are watching the games.

Hell, the Hawks fans (who all cheered for the Pens last year and made several lunch bets with me) are so burnt out they don't give a crap about the Pens, most of them think the Wings are going to win this series, and they're preparing themselves for it, I think.

What's funny is - I expected it during the Hawks series.

I would argue that during that series he was very Wings-biased....Although you could also say too, the hawks gave him little to compliment them on. :blink:

True. He was bending over backwards to not favor the Hawks but now his true colors have returned.

I have a hard time deciding which to watch: CBC or NBC. I can't stand both announcing crews because a) they take 900 years to say something that could take 10 seconds. And does NBC really need 5-6 people analyzing the game? ...too many cooks spoil the broth. The only positive side to NBC is that the ice level noise is louder than CBC so you can hear more going on. I would only switch back to CBC if cole and neale were announcing again. I find them easier to listen to mostly because they are older and don't talk a mile a minute like pierre and ed oldsuck.

I really wish announcers would just shut up and let me watch the game...why can't the NHL offer a feed where it's just the hockey...as if you are in the building and you don't have to listen to analysis but you can just make your own. blah!

Olczyk was so busy talking about how Malkin did a good job motivating the Penguins with his "fight" against Zetterberg that I didn't even know how the Wings got a 5 on 3 at the end of the game! The announcing was HORRIBLE last night.

Minnesota would have done the league a favor by hiring Pierre McGuire as their GM. It would have gotten him off the air. This guy is so pro-Pengwhine it's pathetic!

I'm glad I'm not alone in my acknowledgment that the announcers were bad.

pierre is biased for the wings, he is on holland and lidstrom's cock like no other, olczyk is pretty biased though and emerick is jsut senile so he will do whatever nbc tells him wich is to pump up crosby as much as possible

I thought Edzo did a good job during the Chicago series considering he's a paid member of the Chicago broadcast team. He's not exactly been completely in the boat for Pittsburgh because he's called them out for getting away with stuff, but he has gone overboard trying to cast doubt on the Wings success. Annoying as heck, but what are you gonna do? I'd like to see Darryl Reaugh do some color commentary. He's a minimalist when it comes to input and he's usually pretty impartial.

He's human. The Red Wings are easy to hate. Especially if you've had to play against them.

he's also incredibly biased, and I do expect more from a "national" broadcast.

is it really too much to ask to have fair commentary?

If you want to see bias watch the TSN replays. Hossa should have gotten a slashing penalty, the Wings are only winning because some mystical magical "fate" is smiling on them. No mention of Malkin interfering with Holmstrom and simultaneously pushing his goalie out of position on the Filppula goal. Fleury "gives one up" to Abdelkader as opposed to accurately identifying the terrible defensive coverage and horrible goaltending.

Before the series started everyone was giving the Penguins the advantage in the first two games because of the Wings injuries. After Detroit proves them wrong, no mention of the Herculean effort by Detroit with FOUR! rookies on their roster.

Unfortunately, if the Wings can bring home the Cup this year it will largely be viewed as unearned because of the pro-Pittsburgh media echo-chamber.

I think they were doing some sort of dumb role play.. like pretending to be the coaches of the teams. Milbury/ Wings and McGuire/ Pens. Maybe I was hallucinating though.

they are were doing roll playing... that is exactly why he said my team. it was fitting though that McGuire got the Pens and Milbury got the hawks...

its like those CLICK IT or TICKET commericals... the white cop arrest the white driver in daylight and the black cop arrests the black driver in darkness..... the go with who they are rooting for.

the only time those two, and many others, were on the same page was the Kronwall Hit/Penalty

Millbury and Doc=OK. Everyone else on Versus=SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSuck.

Listen real close, NBC/Versus. The Red Wings fanbase is EVERYWHERE. Why else do you hear "Lets go, Red Wings" in other team's barns? The Red Wings are the Yankees/Red Sox of the hockey fan base, and it's high time you start acknowledging that.

Please don't compare us with the yankees.. our team isn't bought.

if i'm not mistaken, i do believe bill thorne does commentating for the baltimore orioles

Yes he does! I watch the Orioles every night. I loved him from his ESPN days and was glad when he started broadcasting the Orioles. I like Doc a lot also especially during exciting moments, his " hit the post with the shot" and "(insert players name) with a driiive!" are great!

Yes he does! I watch the Orioles every night. I loved him from his ESPN days and was glad when he started broadcasting the Orioles. I like Doc a lot also especially during exciting moments, his " hit the post with the shot" and "(insert players name) with a driiive!" are great!

Nice to see some Doc love in here, I thought the consensus was anti-him. He's great at what he does and is a class guy too. Check the episode of Voices on NHL Network about him, it'll give you an appreciation.

I even find myself using some of his expressions--"spikes it away," "they cancel," etc.

It is all but impossible for any broadcaster to go a game without hardcore fans yelling pro or negative bias towards a team. Broadcasters, to some degree, are paid to be controversal and to start stories for debate, perhaps stories that aren't there. I haven't paid much attention to Olczyk one way or another, but I probably wouldn't get all up in arms in what he's saying. He's just doing his job in all likelihood.

The guys on Versus and NBC talk way too much. This 3-man commentary thing isn't working. There's always someone running his mouth.

Gills trips Zetterberg:

Pierre: "HEY. HEY. GUYS. How about that great stick by Harold Gill?"

*Old Chick and Emrick try to finish a conversation, ignoring Regis*

2 minutes later:

Pierre: "EDZO. DOC. GUYS. Did you see that long stick by Gill?"

Edited by Systemfel