53 replies to this topic

#41 Hossa7.4

Hossa7.4

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (Broken 16 @ June 1, 2009 - 02:14AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's human. The Red Wings are easy to hate. Especially if you've had to play against them.

he's also incredibly biased, and I do expect more from a "national" broadcast.

is it really too much to ask to have fair commentary?

#42 Chunkylover

Chunkylover

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:19 PM

If you want to see bias watch the TSN replays. Hossa should have gotten a slashing penalty, the Wings are only winning because some mystical magical "fate" is smiling on them. No mention of Malkin interfering with Holmstrom and simultaneously pushing his goalie out of position on the Filppula goal. Fleury "gives one up" to Abdelkader as opposed to accurately identifying the terrible defensive coverage and horrible goaltending.

Before the series started everyone was giving the Penguins the advantage in the first two games because of the Wings injuries. After Detroit proves them wrong, no mention of the Herculean effort by Detroit with FOUR! rookies on their roster.

Unfortunately, if the Wings can bring home the Cup this year it will largely be viewed as unearned because of the pro-Pittsburgh media echo-chamber.

#43 tommingthepuck96

tommingthepuck96

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:21 PM

Olczyk says stupid stuff but he also compliments the red wings alot. Hes said lots of times the red wings are the model franchise of all sports...

Mcguire is an idiot.
And emrick get confused with just about every red wing player...

#44 HankZetty

HankZetty

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:29 PM

What about the fact that we missed half the face offs in both games cuz they where to busy bringing replays.

#45 OsGOD

OsGOD

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 9,314 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (Rocket Queen 30 @ June 1, 2009 - 02:41AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think they were doing some sort of dumb role play.. like pretending to be the coaches of the teams. Milbury/ Wings and McGuire/ Pens. Maybe I was hallucinating though.

they are were doing roll playing... that is exactly why he said my team. it was fitting though that McGuire got the Pens and Milbury got the hawks...

its like those CLICK IT or TICKET commericals... the white cop arrest the white driver in daylight and the black cop arrests the black driver in darkness..... the go with who they are rooting for.

the only time those two, and many others, were on the same page was the Kronwall Hit/Penalty

Just one chance is all i ever wanted...just one time i'd like to win the game...from now on i'll take the chance if i can have it...just one just one

#46 Rocket Queen 30

Rocket Queen 30

Bandwagon's full. Please catch another!

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (RoninJai @ June 1, 2009 - 02:03AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Millbury and Doc=OK. Everyone else on Versus=SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSuck.

Listen real close, NBC/Versus. The Red Wings fanbase is EVERYWHERE. Why else do you hear "Lets go, Red Wings" in other team's barns? The Red Wings are the Yankees/Red Sox of the hockey fan base, and it's high time you start acknowledging that.

Please don't compare us with the yankees.. our team isn't bought.

#47 Lefkowitz

Lefkowitz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (ussr @ June 1, 2009 - 08:34AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if i'm not mistaken, i do believe bill thorne does commentating for the baltimore orioles

Yes he does! I watch the Orioles every night. I loved him from his ESPN days and was glad when he started broadcasting the Orioles. I like Doc a lot also especially during exciting moments, his " hit the post with the shot" and "(insert players name) with a driiive!" are great!

#48 C-TownWing

C-TownWing

Little Ball of Hate

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (Lefkowitz @ June 2, 2009 - 12:20AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes he does! I watch the Orioles every night. I loved him from his ESPN days and was glad when he started broadcasting the Orioles. I like Doc a lot also especially during exciting moments, his " hit the post with the shot" and "(insert players name) with a driiive!" are great!

Nice to see some Doc love in here, I thought the consensus was anti-him. He's great at what he does and is a class guy too. Check the episode of Voices on NHL Network about him, it'll give you an appreciation.

I even find myself using some of his expressions--"spikes it away," "they cancel," etc.

#49 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:49 PM

It is all but impossible for any broadcaster to go a game without hardcore fans yelling pro or negative bias towards a team. Broadcasters, to some degree, are paid to be controversal and to start stories for debate, perhaps stories that aren't there. I haven't paid much attention to Olczyk one way or another, but I probably wouldn't get all up in arms in what he's saying. He's just doing his job in all likelihood.

#50 Systemfel

Systemfel

-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:19 AM

The guys on Versus and NBC talk way too much. This 3-man commentary thing isn't working. There's always someone running his mouth.

Gills trips Zetterberg:
Pierre: "HEY. HEY. GUYS. How about that great stick by Harold Gill?"
*Old Chick and Emrick try to finish a conversation, ignoring Regis*

2 minutes later:
Pierre: "EDZO. DOC. GUYS. Did you see that long stick by Gill?"

Edited by Systemfel, 02 June 2009 - 12:19 AM.

#51 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:23 AM

Ed's a jackass.

It still baffles me that Dave Strader doesn't get more work with this league. That guy is fantastic.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#52 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,133 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE (SouthernWingsFan @ June 1, 2009 - 11:49PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's just doing his job in all likelihood.

Between answering half of Doc's prompts/questions with "meh..." and noting that "It probably could've been a penalty" on every Wings goal, he's been absolutely brutal this postseason.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#53 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:27 AM

Please bring back Gary Thorne and Bill Clement!
Defense and goaltending win championships!!!

#54 irishtemper14+25

irishtemper14+25

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE (Icesurfer @ June 2, 2009 - 02:27AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please bring back Gary Thorne and Bill Clement!

+1

Kudos to Teeman for the Sig
"You remember that chap a few years ago, climbed Everest with no oxygen, came down nearly dead...they asked him why he went up there to die. He said I didn't, I went up there to live."