• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

servo

Poor Poor NHL ratings

Rate this topic

If the Penguins were a better team than the Red Wings, and there was a chance they could sweep us or even just beat us in general, ratings might be higher. The reasoning being, people like watching the mighty fall. If the Wings look strong to repeat as champs, people outside of die-hard fans aren't really going to be interested.

Wow. Just wow.

Now we're outside the realm of just hockey, and into the world of marketing. Please allow me to elaborate as somebody who knows a bit about the subject.

You know how you guys are always screaming and yelling about how the league plasters Crosby in your face? That's called marketing. The casual fan tunes in to see Crosby score goals, like the casual fan tuned in to see Michael Jordan stuff buckets. You with me so far?

When Crosby gets shadowed clutched grabbed and impeded, that's good for your team, not so good for the ratings. The same "defensive style" you Wings fans boast about makes for winning hockey, but losing ratings. People outside Detroit just get bored with it.

So I have to chuckle a little when you somehow actually try to blame Crosby for falling ratings. Talk about blaming the wrong culprit. Again, wow. Just wow.

Edited by BewareThePenguin

Wow. Just wow.

Now we're outside the realm of just hockey, and into the world of marketing. Please allow me to elaborate as somebody who knows a bit about the subject.

You know how you guys are always screaming and yelling about how the league plasters Crosby in your face? That's called marketing. The casual fan tunes in to see Crosby score goals, like the casual fan tuned in to see Michael Jordan stuff buckets. You with me so far?

When Crosby gets shadowed clutched grabbed and impeded, that's good for your team, not so good for the ratings. The same "defensive style" you Wings fans boast about makes for winning hockey, but losing ratings. People outside Detroit just get bored with it.

So I have to chuckle a little when you somehow actually try to blame Crosby for falling ratings. Talk about blaming the wrong culprit. Again, wow. Just wow.

Please point out where I said I blamed Crosby for falling ratings. I'm curious to see where in my post you found that nugget, especially since I didn't type the man's name once. Also, my degree is in Marketing, so you're not going to teach me anything my professors didn't.

You with me so far? Arrogant tool.

Americans only care about sports that are American.

The most common excuses is the stupidest. "I can't follow the puck".

Anyone who says that line is automatically a moron, no matter what else happens the rest of their life.

Wow. Just wow.

I'm sure thats why ratings were down for THE FIRST GAME BEFORE CROSBY EVEN PLAYED A GAME AGAINST THE WINGS.

And I'm sure thats why the ratings went up on sunday AFTER IT WAS EVIDENT THAT CROSBY WAS SHUT DOWN IN GAME 1.

If anything, your "theory" does more to suggest that people LIKE seeing Crosby fail.

Wow. Just wow.

Chuckle away, Chuckie, but do you realize what you wrote? You say viewers are tuning in to watch the wondrously-marketed Crosby. But because of the "shadowed clutched grabbed and impeded" play by the Wings viewers are really bothered that he's not playing well and they tune out? First off, WE DO NOT CLUTCH AND GRAB AND YOU KNOW DAMN WELL THAT'S THE CASE, because our guys don't have to. (Remember? You only have two really good offensive players?) Meanwhile, are you suggesting that we should let up on him and stop swarming so that he can score goals so "we" can't blame Crosby?? Your logic, your thread here is absolutely mind-boggling and defies decoding.

You're the one who brought up the brilliance of the marketing scheme. So the hell we or anyone else can't blame the uber-hyped Crosby because he's NOT PRODUCING. It's not our fault you only have the two who can actually and consistently move the puck. ***** and whine to Bettman, not us.

Edited by Vladifan

How about, The NHL is marketing the wrong guy. If they were going to market someone from PIT they should be marketing Malkin...oh wait, he's not North American. Crosby was annointed before he ever played an NHL game, slap in the face as far as I'm concerned to the rest of the NHL players.

And, the NHL players voted Crosby the 8th best player in the league (3 wings players voted higher by the way, 2 in the top 5).

I'd rather see the NHL market the best player in the league, not some crybaby who hasn't earned his way.

just another example of online "journalists" who have no idea how to compare statistics

the 'average' may have been 3.2 rating but that is only because game 5 and 6 were 4.3 and 4.4 respectively, game 4 only drew a 2.3 rating, equating to a 13% increase in game 1 ratings this year VS game 4 ratings last year

i believe apples vs oranges applies here

Inspector Gadget is a very poor liar and an absolute fool; I'm glad to see the ratings for G1 tanked in the US.

I heard an interview on the radio with Gary today and he said they same thing, that it was his idea to try a back-to-back for Games 1 + 2 and that NBC let them choose what time the games were going to start. He's so full of crap it's not even funny! NBC didn't want a Hockey game on the same night as Conan O'Brien's first night hosting the Tonight Show and Jay Leno switching to 10pm. The NHL had to go back-to-back to be on NBC!

I really dont see how the ratings are poor...but since most aren't paying any attention to anything but a misguided link or two let's make a comparison with last year's finals:

Game 3 and 4 (which were game 1 and 2 on NBC) had a viewership of 4.04 and 4.06 millions.

Game 1 and 2 this year had 4.5 and 5.3 million viewers respectivelly...if there's game 6 or 7(hopefully not) they will go over 8 million...last years game 5 and 6 had 6.20 and 6.78 million viewers.

Lat year's finals were the biggest in a long time and this years are bigger,so again,how are they poor?

The stat is even more evident if we go head to head with game 1 and 2,which were seen by something over 2 millions.

whats up with cbc HD,does anyone get it in HD???i dont so i watch nbc

I sent CBC an E-Mail last year for Windsor area and this is the reply.

We appreciate your interest in CBC Television.

CBC is currently broadcasting in over the air high definition in Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver. Beyond that, no further decisions have been made regarding further

expansion as yet, since federal funding for such projects is not currently in place. Any further new transmitters would likely be placed in major centres of high population, but

it's premature to speculate on possible locations for future transmitters at the moment, or on exactly when additional facilities might be installed.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has established a date of August 31, 2011 as the deadline to end analog TV transmission in Canada.

Expansion projects for CBC will not be put in place until after this deadline.

Kim Belle

Communications Assistant

CBC Audience Relations

Does anyone else agree that part of the NHL's troubles is down to poor officiating? Fans like consistency- random officiating like the NHL would have refs being hung in the NFL.

Not trying to troll, but I agree it is a major part of the problem for the entire NHL season, not just this series. However this series is a great example.

As a Pens fan, I'm upset by the obstruction and interference that the Wings seem to get away with. By the same token, I can't fathom why Eaton, Gill, and Orpik aren't whistled when they have been holding from the red line to the goal line on several occasions. Of course, I notice the calls that I think the Wings get away with, you folks notice the ones on the Pens, and the "truth" is probably that both teams are getting away with the same amount.

The underlying problem is that the casual fan wants to see powerplays. I'm watching ~75 Pens games a year regardless. The people that post here are watching similar numbers of Detroit games. The NHL doesn't need to appeal to us. The fans that have a general understanding like two minutes of a higher probability of a goal, whether it occurs or not. If the refs called everything, instead of nothing, the casual fan would be more involved.

Not trying to troll, but I agree it is a major part of the problem for the entire NHL season, not just this series. However this series is a great example.

As a Pens fan, I'm upset by the obstruction and interference that the Wings seem to get away with. By the same token, I can't fathom why Eaton, Gill, and Orpik aren't whistled when they have been holding from the red line to the goal line on several occasions. Of course, I notice the calls that I think the Wings get away with, you folks notice the ones on the Pens, and the "truth" is probably that both teams are getting away with the same amount.

The underlying problem is that the casual fan wants to see powerplays. I'm watching ~75 Pens games a year regardless. The people that post here are watching similar numbers of Detroit games. The NHL doesn't need to appeal to us. The fans that have a general understanding like two minutes of a higher probability of a goal, whether it occurs or not. If the refs called everything, instead of nothing, the casual fan would be more involved.

I agree, the power play is an exciting part of the game. However, the refs have abused their calls and it's refreshing to finally see the teams play. The game is much faster this way.

My thought is Bettman told refs to put the whistle away and call 1-2 per game, and only if it's 100% obvious (like shooting the puck over the glass - delay of game). Initially, (from reading Pens boards), Pens fans were pleased that Refs were putting the whistles away as they thought it favored their team. Now that they realized it isn't, they are calling foul.

*IF* refs start calling Penalties like crazy when Versus network takes over, I think it'll hurt the game moreso because it's more inconsistency.

Most rational statement in this thread. I raise a glass to you, good sir.

I think the biggest issue for the casual fan is not understanding the game. It is up to us as hockey fans to try to get people to games so they can see firsthand how fast and exciting hockey is. For the longest time i could not get my girlfriend to watch hockey that changed after i talked her into going to a game. It really helped that it was a high scoring game! Really got the crowd going and she got wrapped up in the energy and excitement from them. Now she wants to go to the games if i go and will even watch it on TV with me sometimes. :rolleyes:

example

Baseball - "No hitter": most people understanding the game so when a pitcher throw a no hitter even the casual fan can appreciate the accomplishment.

Hockey - "Shutout": Just as great an accomplishment as the "No Hitter" but the casual fans don't understand or appreciate the effort it takes. All the casual fan understands it goals. So when none are scored they get bored. Same for a low scoring defensive battles.

Quote from a conversation i over heard when watching hockey in a bar.

"Why the hell are people watch hockey. Why waste 3 hours when you can watch highlights the next day and see all good stuff."

The Wings' game five with the Hawks was the highest-rated game/program that Versus has ever had, including the Lance Armstrong Tour de France adventure. Not sayin' much I know, but I'm thinking viewers in general are thinking it's a given that the Wings are going to win the Cup again.

Yeah, I think it's the only explanation for the drop in viewers. The Red Wings (and I'm assuming the PEnguins) routinely draw huge ratings (relative to hockey games, anyway). There has to be a reason for the drop, and it seems that assuming it's over is enough to drop the ratings.

In the big picture, nobody knows who Sidney Crosby is.

Sidney Crosby? Isn't he the guy that led Penguins to winning the Stanley Cup last year? I could swear I saw a commercial on TV that showed him scoring the game winning goal to win the cup...

I'm not surprised that nobody is interested in the "newwwww NHL". Who want's to watch anything so blatantly fixed and pre-fabricated. It's a shameless disgrace. I've been a hockey fan all my life, even been trying hard to stay on-board since the lockout. Which is another big reason why hockey is dying, that stupid lockout turned off a TON of once-loyal and enthusiastic fans.

f*** you bettman, you *****.