• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

greenrebellion

Why the Wings will lose this series

Rate this topic

Red Wings are banged up, sore, injured and (key) guys are out... so anything is possible. Being up 2-0 sure is a boost though. The Red Wings are playing on will, heart and determination. I do believe they have another gear left in the tank if they need it. So far, they didn't need it.

You would think not having Pavel Datsyuk for the rest of this series which looks to be the case here is going to catch up to the Red Wings sooner or later at some point in this series the longer it goes...

You would think not having Pavel Datsyuk for the rest of this series which looks to be the case here is going to catch up to the Red Wings sooner or later at some point in this series the longer it goes...

Yeah, and if it does, we'll just have Hossa, Z, or Franzen step in. After all, our AHL team needs a break once and a while.

Edited by BleedRed&White

I hope people realize that his last change works both ways so if Hank isn't out against Crosby than when Hank is out its a mismatch for the Pens

Excellent point.

Zetterberg on Crosby, they negate each other = win for us because our supporting players are better

Zetterberg away from Crosby, both productive offensively = win for us because our supporting players are better

Depth is a wonderful thing, ain't it?

First let me say that I've been a huge Wings fan since 1993 and was HIGHLY confident that we would win each time we've been in the Finals (even against the NJD, but that didn't turn out so well). However, after watching the first two games of this series and taking into account some other factors, I am extremely concerned that we will lose this series in 6 or 7 games despite being up 2-0. I'm usually not an ultra pessimistic person so I'm a bit concerned that my thinking may have some merit.

Here are my thoughts:

In the first two games, I felt that from an overall effort and quality of play perspective, the edge has to go to the Penguins. Detroit has been outshot, had way too many giveaways, and spent a significant amount of time chasing the puck rather than playing our puck possession style of game. The Wings are dumping it in more than usual as the neutral has been effectively clogged and Malkin and Crosby are getting some looks but we've had some luck with posts (and of course Ozzy has played well).

But as this series transitions to Pittsburgh, the major concern I have is matchups. With the Pens getting the last change, I believe this gives them a significant edge, more so than against most other teams. Zetterberg has been huge on Crosby, and whenever the wrong lines have been out against the Pens, you can tell that the danger level of Malkin and Crosby is elevated significantly. The absence of Datsuyk only exasperates this problem, and I believe that he is likely gone for the series.

So with this in mind, I truly believe the Pens will take the next two games bringing it back to Detroit tied 2-2 with all the momentum. Our guys will be more exhausted then theirs at this point given injuries and the fact that our top D-man and guys like Zetterberg are actually playing more minutes than their top guys (this will begin to affect us immensely as this series roles on). And if they can make it 2-2, they'll have the momentum, the energy, and they'll be able to smell the trophy at that point and I believe they'll have that extra bit of desperation to put them over the edge in a six or seven game series.

I don't know guys, I'm not your average mindfly pessimist. I was highly confident the Wings would win in past SCF, but I have no confidence this time around and I hope I am dead wrong about them.

Go wings....

Wrong... The Pens have not taken advantage of a Wings team that admittedly, hasn't been on top of their game. The Wings were better yesterday than the were in game 1 and Pittsburgh will have to play with everything they have in game 3 or we are going to steam roll right over them. The Wings didn't come this far to lose and they're too good to let a little momentum shift rattle them. These guys are vets, and champions and they're not going to lose their composure. If they were going to, they would have done it when we were without Lidstrom or since we've been without Datsyuk. You don't have to believe in it, or them but if that's the case, you really don't know your team as well as you think you do. They may lose game 3, hell, they might even lose 2 games to Pittsburgh but I can't see them rolling over. It's not in their nature.

Edited by Rocket Queen 30

I figured we'd split the first two but said if we win them both, this one's over in 5. I'm standing by that. I honestly get what you're saying and think there's a bit more weight to it than some are suggesting, but I think at the end of the day, Detroit's an experienced, determined bunch that knows how to win. Our young guys shouldn't be so effective but they are. And of course, then there's Chris Osgood. We're up 2-0 and we get 5 games to win 2. 2 more games at home as well. I'm really going to be shocked if Pittsburgh can't get 1 win on their ice, but 2 or more? I'm thinking it's unlikely. Again, I'm thinking Wings in 5 at this point.

Odd. I just read a report from Babcock that sounds promising. I think Dasyuk will play game 3.

The longer the series goes, the more it favours Detroit. They get healthier and there's two day breaks inbetween games 5 and 6.

Pittsburgh blew it big time by atleast not ocming away with a split. Detroit hasn't played their best hockey yet and basically willed themselves to victory last night.

The big story in these finals coming in was the the Pens would be more experienced from last year and they'd be hungrier. Sar far you can see the Wings experience coming through and the Wings want it more. First to lose pucks all over the ice.

I figured we'd split the first two but said if we win them both, this one's over in 5. I'm standing by that. I honestly get what you're saying and think there's a bit more weight to it than some are suggesting, but I think at the end of the day, Detroit's an experienced, determined bunch that knows how to win. Our young guys shouldn't be so effective but they are. And of course, then there's Chris Osgood. We're up 2-0 and we get 5 games to win 2. 2 more games at home as well. I'm really going to be shocked if Pittsburgh can't get 1 win on their ice, but 2 or more? I'm thinking it's unlikely. Again, I'm thinking Wings in 5 at this point.

Hope you're right, because I'll be at game 5. Woot!

Certainly wouldn't shock me if it happened, we've seen the Wings both on the wrong/right end of 2-0 deficits (or leads) plenty of times in recent history (2001 Los Angeles, 2002 Vancouver, 1999 Colorado, etc.). Different teams/scenarios of course but it show that it can certainly happen. Part of me is nervous as hell still because the Penguins aren't suffering from stage freight, they have brought their best or close to it I think, but just are not quite burying their chances. Sooner or later you'd think that might change. On the other hand the other part of me says it's going to be difficult to beat the Red Wings 4 out of 5 games. As long as they can weather the storm/crowd in Pittsburgh, Osgood plays around the top of his game, and turnovers are kept to an absolute minimum, no reason why this series goes at worst no more than 6 games.

http://msgboard.pittsburghpenguins.com/ind...p;#entry1747055

lol oh okay.

Well the way I see it, Wings will lose game 3 then comes game 4 where Hossa will score 2 goals and the Wings will come through with a W. Game 5 will be at Detroit and the Wings will not let the Pens score with less than a minute left this time around and will win it at home.

That's at least how I pretty much hope it'll be :P

all that being said, WINGS IN 4!! LET'S GO RED WINGS! :D

Wings win game 3 and it will be because of malkins fight with Z all that did was piss the wings off and weve seen what they can do when they do get angry

the game after the goal was waved off against Ana 6-3 Wings

the game after Kronners got kicked out against Chi and Brian the soup Campbell called him gutless 6-1 Wings

i can see a sweep b/c we know what will happen in game 4 Hossa will score 2 goals

Hey, this guy said some stuff that wasn't all rah-rah about the Wings!

Get out all those troll signs guys!

The nerve!

yeah and again you post like a pens fan.....stop trying to start s*** in every thread please.

are you that blind that you don't understand why everyone is reacting the way they are to all of your posts now? can't you see when the change happened...people respected you until your post about zetta. Whic really man.....can you not understand why you got a reaction like you did? really....there is no way any of us wings fans could go and post some of the stuff that you have posted on our forum on a pens forum. You guys say that 90% of us posters are not classy...d-bags.....all this other and then you expect us to have nice hockey replys to you? dude......really?

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

To quote Braveheart,if you're a Detroit fan,then i'm ashamed of being one.

Like someone else said earlier,being a fan means having faith in your team even if they're losing 3:0,always supporting them not creating neurotic threads while leading the finals 2:0.

I've never met more fairweather fans than Red Wings fans...after every loss,someone responsible should leave the team,after every win,the goalscorer gets 50 potential buyers of his jersey.

LETS GO RED WINGS...win or lose,hurt or rested,first or last!!!

I have a hunch that those post game antics by Pittsburgh have awoken the Machine. Match ups while they may pose a threat in some instances will be taken care of by changes on the fly. If the wings can win the time of possession battle we can make changes easier and will be able to keep matchups. Not only that I think Babcock will make some simple little movements in lines and D pairings sometimes to help with the matchups. Pens will definately come out energized but hopefully so will the wings knowing that they need to crack the crowd early. I think the keys will be to keep limiting pen's speed in the neutral zone, keep wearing down their sundial slow Defense man especially Gil, and most of all stop turning the puck over so much. I think we'll see a split in Pitt and wings in 5.

First let me say that I've been a huge Wings fan since 1993 and was HIGHLY confident that we would win each time we've been in the Finals (even against the NJD, but that didn't turn out so well). However, after watching the first two games of this series and taking into account some other factors, I am extremely concerned that we will lose this series in 6 or 7 games despite being up 2-0. I'm usually not an ultra pessimistic person so I'm a bit concerned that my thinking may have some merit.

Here are my thoughts:

In the first two games, I felt that from an overall effort and quality of play perspective, the edge has to go to the Penguins. Detroit has been outshot, had way too many giveaways, and spent a significant amount of time chasing the puck rather than playing our puck possession style of game. The Wings are dumping it in more than usual as the neutral has been effectively clogged and Malkin and Crosby are getting some looks but we've had some luck with posts (and of course Ozzy has played well).

But as this series transitions to Pittsburgh, the major concern I have is matchups. With the Pens getting the last change, I believe this gives them a significant edge, more so than against most other teams. Zetterberg has been huge on Crosby, and whenever the wrong lines have been out against the Pens, you can tell that the danger level of Malkin and Crosby is elevated significantly. The absence of Datsuyk only exasperates this problem, and I believe that he is likely gone for the series.

So with this in mind, I truly believe the Pens will take the next two games bringing it back to Detroit tied 2-2 with all the momentum. Our guys will be more exhausted then theirs at this point given injuries and the fact that our top D-man and guys like Zetterberg are actually playing more minutes than their top guys (this will begin to affect us immensely as this series roles on). And if they can make it 2-2, they'll have the momentum, the energy, and they'll be able to smell the trophy at that point and I believe they'll have that extra bit of desperation to put them over the edge in a six or seven game series.

I don't know guys, I'm not your average mindfly pessimist. I was highly confident the Wings would win in past SCF, but I have no confidence this time around and I hope I am dead wrong about them.

Go wings....

jesus-facepalm-facepalm-jesus-epic-demotivational-poster-1218659828.jpg

Here are my thoughts:

Go wings....

Based on what I've seen... I'm pretty confident that Flip could more or less shut down Crosby.