• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Opie

Hossa ready to return to the Igloo

Rate this topic

Yeah, he passed up a ton of money because winning a Stanley Cup means more to him. What a jerk! :rolleyes:

Let me give you a little refresher course in Hossa 101...

Hossa didn't just leave. He took the longest amount of time to decide, and left the Pens hanging on as long as possible. By doing so, he left the Pens in limbo, even putting their plans to acquire a replacement on hold. At one point he acted like he was going to stay, then yanked it all away.

Not exactly cool of him, but players come and go.

But that wasn't enough -- on the way out he made sure he told the local Pittsburgh media WHY he was leaving -- he wanted to be on a team with a chance to win the Cup. (Gosh buddy, how popular would that make him if he did that in your town?). Had to add just that little slap, that little dig, on the way out.

So yes -- what a jerk.

No, of course not -- it's kind of a manhood thing.

What's more satisfying? Jumping over to the winners and taking the easier route, or digging in, fighting and helping your scrappy boys overcome the big bad enemy?

One takes grit and courage and heart and hard work -- the other, not so much.

Hossa's less of a man for doing this in my book.

Jumping over to the winners does not necessarily mean 'taking the easy route'. If anything, defending champions in general have to work harder, gritter and with more passion and heart than others if they are to retain their championship. That is exactly what the Red Wings are doing....day in and day out in this series (reminder: 2-0) and have been doing through out the playoffs.

I'm not sure what words are in your "book", but if Hossa is less of a man to you in your book, then it must be a First Grade (Hockey) Reader...with limited vocabulary.

LET'S GO RED WINGS !! (Hossa for the Hat Trick !)

Edited by RedWingBelle

Let me add one more thing.

Hossa IMHO has denied himself a chance at the greatest glory an athlete can have.

Years ago I heard a story about a recruit who was being courted heavily by Notre Dame. At that time ND was still a powerhouse, dominating college football. The recruit was asked, why didn't you go to Notre Dame and get all the glory? He answered, because I want the even GREATER glory of feeling what it's like to BEAT Notre Dame.

Watching the two teams this year, they're nowhere near as far apart as they were last year. Had Hossa stayed, he could've really help swing things in favor of the Pens -- remember, Hossa was their best player in the finals last year. Hossa could be a real difference maker -- moreso for the Pens than the Wings, who obviously could win it all with or without him.

Should Detroit go on to win, yeah I'm sure it will be sweet for Hossa. But it will be NOTHING compared to how it would've felt not just to win the Cup -- but to bring down the mighty Red Wings to boot!

Of course, there's the risk factor -- odds favor going to Detroit as a safer route to taking the Cup. But that's just the point -- "safe" is kind of lame in my book. The real man takes the risk, braves the odds, fights the fight.

Hossa chose the safe route. He opted to play for Notre Dame. He chose to be less of a man.

Tonight there will be 20,000 people reminding him of this fact.

When he made his decision here were his options:

The Pens - Bad coach, but was given a 3 year extension. Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and Staal were all going to be eating up tons of money and if he signed for what they were offering they would have even less money available. It would be like playing for the Lightning.

OR

The Wings - Defending champs, great coach, the system they play fits his style of play perfectly, could comfortably sign with them for one year and not have to worry about the team falling apart due to cap restrictions.

There's the "Greater Glory" and then there's using your freakin head. If Hossa wins it this year, do you think 30 years from now he'll care how he won it? Winning the Cup is as good as it gets, no matter how its done.

Dude you make laugh,...you've got your homer glasses on so tight you've got rims around your eyes. When he wins the cup (and i'm hoping it's on your ice) i hope he looks into the stands and smiles. He made the right choice, he wanted a cup, he got one. Less of a man,....Gah you people are insane!

And you make me chuckle supporting traitors like that.

Guess you have a Hossa poster in your room, right next to the Benedict Arnold and Jane Fonda ones.

Hey, if he wins, hope you yuk it up right along with him. Enjoy!

Your argument would be so much better if Hossa had been drafted by the Pens, played with them for a long time, and then jumped ship; instead of being on the Pens roster for a whole three months.

Maybe he is a jerk, but by the end of the week, he'll be a jerk holding the Cup.

hey "beware".....people seem to forget the simple fact that hossa was a contracted athlete with atlanta at the deadline.

he only had a part of the decision making process where he landed.

he is a close friend with kopecky and had made it known that he wanted to be a red wing for years.

during the trade deadline detroit couldnt offer what pitts offered to make atlanta better and the GM told hossa that if he left...the offer on the table from pitt was the best for his team.

hossa didnt say i want to play for pitt, and it happened.

if you were on a guaranteed team to not make the playoffs in your last 3 months of contract and your boss told you that we have an offer on the table for you to play for pitt with that roster and make a run toward the cup...you would take it.

and then go free agent and choose the team you DO want to play for....

well, we are all witnesses to that exact same thing.

what he does from this season is weigh his experience with pitt/detroit and decide if money or success is the most important thing for his future.

When he made his decision here were his options:

The Pens - Bad coach, but was given a 3 year extension. Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and Staal were all going to be eating up tons of money and if he signed for what they were offering they would have even less money available. It would be like playing for the Lightning.

The Lightning? Stop it right there bud. No way you get away trying to sneak that one in.

The Pens are a young team on the verge -- not some Tampa. The stars you mentioned eating all that cap money are exactly WHY they're not Tampa.

No, staying with the Pens would be playing for a contender, a team on the verge that a player like Hossa might just push over the top. Even you Wings fans talked about how well he played against you last year. He's a difference maker for the Pens, just another cog in the wheel with the Wings. Gimme a break.

Hossa chose the easier path. Join the vets, or stand and fight with the kids. He chose the vets.

That's the easier route, the one with the odds more in your favor. Unless you think the Pens have a better shot at winning the Cup than the Wings. Hmmm?

This just in from MLive. :lol:

Booing is encouragement to Red Wings' Marian Hossa

by Ansar Khan

Tuesday June 02, 2009, 12:43 PM

PITTSBURGH -- Marian Hossa had an amusing line this morning when asked about being booed at Mellon Arena during the regular season on Feb. 8 and what he anticipates tonight.

"It was pretty loud; it can get even louder,'' Hossa said. "Maybe not many people know that boos in Slovak mean, 'Go, Marian, Go!' ''

EDIT:

OK, so I'm a little slow!

Edited by Vladifan

Yeah Hossa could of stayed and lost to Detroit or even if they beat Detroit got to hear how Malakin and Crosby the NHL's rising stars carried the team while getting no mention. Atleast when he wins in Detroit people will mention how he left the Penguins and came to Detroit and helped lead them to a cup.

With the ego and marketing behind Crosby no one would of even realized Hossa existed. This is mainly the NHL's fault for being so in love with Crosby. There are tons of other players I would market the game with over Crosby

Your argument would be so much better if Hossa had been drafted by the Pens, played with them for a long time, and then jumped ship; instead of being on the Pens roster for a whole three months.

Maybe he is a jerk, but by the end of the week, he'll be a jerk holding the Cup.

yes, but as you say, still a jerk.

And you make me chuckle supporting traitors like that.

Guess you have a Hossa poster in your room, right next to the Benedict Arnold and Jane Fonda ones.

Hey, if he wins, hope you yuk it up right along with him. Enjoy!

That's it,..you've got to be like,...15 or so

A history lesson,....one of those was executed for treason, another one managed to piss off every vietnam veteran who served. There are still people who spit on Hanoi Jane. The very fact that you could compare a hockey player to one of those two really doesn't speak well of your maturity.

Next time, take a deep breath and think before you speak

We have a saying around here,...

It is better to remain silent and have people think you're an idiot

Than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

But that wasn't enough -- on the way out he made sure he told the local Pittsburgh media WHY he was leaving

Hes made it clear that another reason why he came to detroit was to learn from the best players in the world.

That could never happen in pittsburgh, not ever in a million years.

Hossa also has to work 20 times harder in detroit then he would have to in pittsburgh. In pittsburgh he would not be critized if he didnt back check at all. He also wouldnt have to be killing penalities on a daily basis. Sorry that Hossa choose the best team in the sport, rather than stay in pittsburgh and be known as "crosbys winger" for the next 5 years. Does that make him a jerk? Only to you cry babys.

Edited by tommingthepuck96

Let me give you a little refresher course in Hossa 101...

Hossa didn't just leave. He took the longest amount of time to decide, and left the Pens hanging on as long as possible. By doing so, he left the Pens in limbo, even putting their plans to acquire a replacement on hold. At one point he acted like he was going to stay, then yanked it all away.

Not exactly cool of him, but players come and go.

But that wasn't enough -- on the way out he made sure he told the local Pittsburgh media WHY he was leaving -- he wanted to be on a team with a chance to win the Cup. (Gosh buddy, how popular would that make him if he did that in your town?). Had to add just that little slap, that little dig, on the way out.

So yes -- what a jerk.

The free agent signing period started July 1st. He signed with the Wings July 2nd. Yeah... he took a really long time to decide there. A whole day! Wow! Shero dropped the ball. If you can't resign a player, long term before he becomes a UFA, then you have to have a backup plan already in place.

As for his "went to Detroit because he wanted to win a Cup", see my other post about this. At that point in time, he did have a much better chance to win the Cup in Detroit than Pittsburgh.

So yes - update your Hossa 101 course, it has quite a few errors in it.

oh...by the way...IMO...hossa winning the cup with pitt would have been a hollow victory compared to this year with detroit because he fought ALL year with the same team.

not a walk on for a handfull of games....

i would prefer to help build the team, than be the "ringer"

thats equal to ray borque winning the cup.

he was labelled a sell out for doing that....leave boston....sign with colorado and win the cup. just to win.

hollow....thats my word of the day.

detroit fans have more emotion invested in this now than pitt.

Like the same thing wouldn't happen in Detroit if one of your players had acted like Hossa. C'mon.

Hossa will get booed, cheered if he gets knocked on his keaster. The game will go on.

What Hossa did is like a guy fighting for the Americans in World War II -- looks like the Germans are unbeatable at first, so he figures he has a better shot of winning the war if he goes to their side. Because, you know, he's never been on the side of the army that won the war. So instead of gritting it out, and working hard to enjoy the ultimate satisfaction of helping to beat that unbeatable army, he opts for the path of less resistance. The easier way to glory.

You guys want to think that's no big deal, go for it.

And wear your German Army uniforms with pride.

I myself will stand with General Patton, and fight for the good ol' US of A. No matter how big the odds look against us right now.

USA! USA!

Red Wings = Nazis

Penguins = Americans

You sure that's the analogy you want to go with here?

Real man takes the risks. Well then Hoss is a real man. He turned down how much money and security?

I really don't see how Hossa would have enjoyed winning the cup more with Pittsburgh than Detroit when he already had friends on the Red Wings before he came here; even if he was part of a team that beat the Red Wings. What many don't understand is that they would have done the exact same thing if they were in his position.

You can sit there and insult his manhood if you want. Meanwhile, he's had what he feels is the best year of his career. I'm positive that he doesn't care on whether or not some people think he's a real man because I bet he already feels like one.

Red Wings = Nazis

Penguins = Americans

Maybe BewareThePenguin is really Jamele Hill she likes those references!

Titanium I am sure his Girlfriend helps him feel like a real man too, have you seen her!

No Emma, but damn close!

Edited by Opie

The Lightning? Stop it right there bud. No way you get away trying to sneak that one in.

That's what she said

The Pens are a young team on the verge -- not some Tampa. The stars you mentioned eating all that cap money are exactly WHY they're not Tampa.

No, staying with the Pens would be playing for a contender, a team on the verge that a player like Hossa might just push over the top. Even you Wings fans talked about how well he played against you last year. He's a difference maker for the Pens, just another cog in the wheel with the Wings. Gimme a break.

Hossa chose the easier path. Join the vets, or stand and fight with the kids. He chose the vets.

As for the rest of your post, I live in Pittsburgh. All I heard last summer from the media and from Pens fans, was "If we sign Hossa, we'll lose Malkin or Staal" or "If we sign Hossa, Malkin, Staal and Fleury to long term deals, we'll be just like the Lightning with a few stars and a bunch of scrubs." The Lightning were considered to be a young team on the verge of greatness too, when they won their Cup.

On the Wings, he's part of a team with leadership and depth. On the Pens, he's a star with nobody backing him up.

Red Wings = Nazis

Penguins = Americans

I honestly think that's the first time I've ever seen a thread Godwinned in GD. Thankfully it was an opposition fan that did it. :P

oh...by the way...IMO...hossa winning the cup with pitt would have been a hollow victory compared to this year with detroit because he fought ALL year with the same team.

not a walk on for a handfull of games....

i would prefer to help build the team, than be the "ringer"

:thumbup: +1