• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingsXII

Play The Puck!

Rate this topic

All I ever hear is how the Wings are soft and they won't fight and blah blah blah, but in all three games now, it seems if the puck is in the corner, the Wings, aside from maybe the 4th line, attack it but back off if a Pen is close to them. Every time they do this, and its getting annoying. Are the Wings scared to get hit or is this a smart hokcey move i don't know of? They are getting shoved around and backing off pucks all game long, whats going on?!

The team can collectively play with playoff grit, we have seen it. But the first choice is always the pretty ticky tacky s*** that isn't going over in this series. We have to play more ugly play off hockey first and then change gears to our normal style if the game allows for it and not the other way around. Now more then ever we need a few Kronwall & Stewie special delivered with purpous on Malkin And Crosby, now more then ever we need hard shots on net and 2 crashed bang bang banging away for some garbage. MAF is not that good of a goalie but being tested from perimeter chances all the time ins't hitting the back of the net often enough... and finally our penalty kill needs to be hyper-agrresive to break up their chances. Just my thoughts, oh and where did Jiri Hudler go? Does he still play for us? Filpula is playing way better, even Maltby is, why isn't Hudler?

This team has ALWAYS done that and it drives me nuts. I don't understand why they let the other team get the puck but I will say they win a lot so it must be an OK thing to do.

Up 2-1 in the series, and defending Cup Champs.

A lot of teams that rely on one or two primary scorers, tend to get those guys open, grind it in the boards, and look for passes out front. Most of why Detroit backs off is to force crap shots, and get back to cover the people who can finish.

It might "look" frustrating, but Detroit is generally getting in position to stop passes, and create breakouts. When we run into trouble is usually when we press to hard on the boards, and don't drop back enough. Fighting board battles is like a lose lose situation, if they have a guy like Malkin or Crosby open. Note that those guys rarely push to the boards. Better to fight the boards, get back, and pick up the passes.

5 on 5 it has worked fine for Detroit, all season, all playoffs, and for the last several years. It's not a bad strategy, it just gets confused when 2 guys drop back, and 2 guys fight along the boards, and thus half the team is out of position for the defensive strategy.

I love how people complain about a facet of the Wings game after a loss, but fail to realize the reason the Wings are where they are and are there almost every year (Deep in the playoffs not necessarily SCF) is because of the style and system they play.

You want them to run in an crush the forward in the corner.

Awesome idea except that now you have broken down the entire defensive system the Wings use. In case you have noticed the Wings are almost always the most physical in two aspects of the game, forecheck and nuetral zone. Other than that it is pretty much a defensive system of out number the puck, or block the passing lanes.

Doesn't seem like to bad of a theory considering they are trying to defend the Stanley cup!