• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HankZetty

Officiating thread

Rate this topic

My only problem is this:

There is blatant interference by BOTH teams every shift. EVERY shift.

This gives the refs a big fat grenade that they can throw whenever they want.

Tied 2-2, Pens need a win, call Ericsson for interference. Sure it was a penalty, but there were about 30 other same-nature penalties that could have been called. Orpik, Gill, and Lebda accounted for most of them.

The perfectly timed selectiveness of this particular call is what scares me the most.

But whateva..........

Guys, guys -- this is the "loose" officiating you all wanted so much right? I'm the only who was looking for a tightly-called game, you all said after the first two games you loved them letting the boys play, remember? Let it go, don't call stuff, let the players play, swallow those whistles.

Of course, the Wings won both those games, which I'm sure (cough) is just a coincidence.

I have no problem with loose officiating. The problem I have is with the shot to the head Franzen that was let go and then the cheap hold on Ericsson was called. Very inconsistent.

i agree with you, it was a penalty. but when gill and orpik get away with worse on a regular basis, it's getting old.

oh well, hossa's got 2 goals saved up for game 4. lets hope he cashes in again.

Yeah, Gill gets away with interference everytime a Wing with speed threatens to beat him to a race for the puck.

The to many men on the ice was pretty bad, well in fact with 4 refs it was pathetic but what got to me was all the high hits being thrown, I hate complaining about refs and I do not mind watching a loosing effort, but if they are just gonna keep on not calling high hits, hits to the head then I am going to have to start agreeing that the NHL is becoming more and more a joke, I agree with let them play but come on already there must have been about15 high hits, 8 to 10 to the head about 5 by the Wings and 15 by the Pens several of which were definately penalties like the one on Franzen. I am not saying this would have made a difference in the game but I am getting sick of trying to explain rules to friends several of which lost interest immediatley after the Malkin debacle after last game, they said they might as well watch a soap opera or wrestling if there are sliding rules especially on one so obvious.

Anyways, here's to a W in game 4, this series is playing out much like last year except it will be Hossa scoring 2 in this game 4.

Round 4 - Game 3: Terrible non-call on the pick that Detroit set on the PP goal. Announcers talked about it for a good 30 seconds. Unlike the Pittsburgh non-call, Detroit's actually led to an undeserved goal.

Lol. Shut up.

Edited by cirov19

Yeah, Gill gets away with interference everytime a Wing with speed threatens to beat him to a race for the puck.

How did a beach whale like Gill survive the "New NHL" and the lockout?

This guy skates like he's got s*** in his pants.

I'll buy the blown too many men call, but Ericsson clearly interfered with the Pens player. Wings could have killed the penalty to keep the game tied, but no. It's the teams fault they lost.

Agreed on all counts. I'm more pissed at Ericsson than at the officials--it was a lazy play/rookie mistake, more so than the ones that are let go on both sides. He had enough room to go back and play the puck. It wasn't one of those where the forward chips it around the D and has a shot at beating him, so it's worth risking the interference call to slow it down.

The too many men was a brutal no-call though (like I needed to say that), and judging by Babs' reaction to it, there's enough outrage there to get us to hold to the pattern of response to this stuff. We'll see I guess.

No, I'm talking about tonight. The Detroit player picked the Penguins defender on the PP, allowing the Wings shooter a wide open look at the net. Same thing Samuellson did to Malkin on Detroit's first goal Sunday Night.

I already talked about Dupuis's stick and how I didn't think Hossa did that on purpose.

The side I'm on is objectivity. Which leaves me pretty much by myself here.

Objectivity? You're on a Red Wings board... why would we be objective or neutral? I don't think any of us are impartial as to who wins the Cup? I do think that the Ericsson interfered, I also think Hal Gill interfered all game on Helm. There were a few times he had the puck, but at least one where he was nowhere near the puck. That being said there were non-calls both ways, and I don't particularly think it's a bad thing... I like the open game... LET'S GO WINGS IN GAME 4!

So the NHL's media will collectively press its butt to the Pittsburgh Penguins' logo over the next two days--especially for "saving the series"--and the Red Wings obviously have to rebound from a difficult loss...

But please don't harp on about the fact that a stupid, stupid interference penalty to Jonathan Ericsson gave the Penguins the win. The Red Wings out-shot the Penguins 14-4 in the 2nd but did not seal the deal, and then were out-shot 10-3 in the 3rd. That was the difference.

The dumb penalty helped, but that's all it did. The games are won despite opposition and officiating. You deal with it and move on. The Red Wings will move on and won't blame the refs. Please do the same.

Update 11:25 PM: Okay, per reader response--if you want to talk about the cross-checks to the heads of Johan Franzen and other players, sure, and if you want to talk about six men on the ice for 20, sure...But even those, the Wings have to work through.

The officiating during this spring's playoff run has been fantastically inconsistent, and even when you and I are both swearing at the TV...The players have to deal with it as best as they can. If they want to lobby the refs during or after the game, argue a call--I had no problem with Franzen saying, "He [bleeping dove" when he either hooked Craig Adams or Adams felt a stick and dropped, depending on your point of view, and I have no problem with Mike Babcock mentioning that a certain player who remained nameless got away with four interference penalties...But Babs wouldn't be lobbied into lamenting that his team lost because the refs screwed him over, and he refused to name names.

Hal Gill, cough cough.

But still. The Red Wings dominated in the 2nd but didn't score. Nicklas Lidstrom told WJBK that they Wings tried to get too cute and make extra passes instead of going to the net harder, and both he and Brad Stuart felt that the team needed to quit turning over the puck in the neutral zone. Those are the things the Red Wings can change. They can't change the referees' minds after a call is made or isn't made.

Update 2 11:32 PM: For the record, Mickey Redmond told WDIV's Katrina Hancock that it was "ridiculous" that the linesmen saw the Penguins have too many men for 21 seconds and told the Penguins to get off the ice, allowed Gill to get away with picking a Wing off, and then Ericsson got called, so in Mickey's opinion, the Wings played very well for a thirty-minute period but got "the smelly end of the calls," and as such, he believes that the officiating has to be even on Thursday.

MLive-Snapshots

You've been watching too much basketball. Hockey is a physical sport and should be called as such.

You just want a PP on every shift, since you realize that 5 on 5 Crosby and Malkin are invisible.

Actually these picks that he's crying about are allowed even in Basketball. He's just comparing pellet guns to howitzers in a sad attempt to draw parallels.

Wait.. is it confirmed that the linesman saw too many men and told them to get one off the ice? There's no way.. that's beyond a missed call. That's cheating.

Wait.. is it confirmed that the linesman saw too many men and told them to get one off the ice? There's no way.. that's beyond a missed call. That's cheating.

My thoughts exactly. I doubt that happened.

This non-call pisses me off. The thing about it is that there is no interpretation required to make this call. It as clear of a case as can be. People whine about certain "hooks" or "holds" that aren't called, but the bottom line is that those calls are open to interpretation and opinions can be had.

I can't believe how officials couldn't see this. It really is incredible.

im still baffled by the non call for too many men. the 4 officials should have seen it, and the pen that got off the ice skated right by a linesmen, yet the linesmen didnt notice anything.

i can not honestly tell myself that i dont think any of the officials noticed this. i DO think someone noticed. when you play, watch, OFFICIATE, as much and for how long, it should be extremely noticable.

i agree with the interference on ericsson, but also think hal gill should have about 14 PIMs worth of interference in the first three games.

never thought id say this, but id rather see ohalleran out there

just want to see some CONSISTENCY

Edited by Selke13

Im not complaining about the officiating, but with all the noise Pens fans have been making about the way our team played Games 1, and 2, after watching Game 3 - as far as I am concerned we're even.