• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HankZetty

Officiating thread

Rate this topic

Games 1 and 2 should of been the standard when calling penelties... Wings played like s*** in the third and looked tired ... Game 4 Datsyuk will return and lite a fire under Hossa's ass ... WINGS IN 5! LETS GO!!!

Guest mindfly
Well all of that means we have to play better on the PK. Some calls are going go our way and some are not. Thats just the way the NHL works now a days.

That is true, however is consistency from the refs too much to ask for? they seem to be better in all other leagues

Gary Bettman will be taking calls at 4pm friday @ 877-645-6696. Just sayin :rolleyes:

It should be fun listening to him explain the calls (both ways) in this series. Especially the too many men on the ice no call.

How could anyone listen to that bureaucratic crap? Listening to someone backpedaling is more annoying than any news on Paris Hilton.

I thought the calls were crap too, but that doesn't mean we have to play lousy on the PK. If we're good on the PK, it doesn't matter how many ridiculous penalties you get.

If you feel like the refs robbed you, then you didn't play hard enough.

I'm not going to carry on and on like a lot of Pens fans about the officiating... but I'll just say that after last night the Pens lost all rights to complain about the officiating hurting them.

That is true, however is consistency from the refs too much to ask for? they seem to be better in all other leagues

I looked up consistency in the NHL dictionary and it said "WTF?"

There were plenty of missed calls/bad calls last night, unfortunatley the PK just couldn't hold out for us. I saw on at least 3 occassions where Pengs D had more blatant interference than Ericssons nudge near the boards and none of it was called. And the 20 sec 6-5 was aboslutely pathetic. How noone picked up on that is beyond me. But it happened and its done with, lets learn from game 3 and take it to game 4. Reduce the turnovers and keep playin our game.

Were any of these legit? here's what I think, anyone agree?

Ericsson's interference... I thought Gill and Orpik did this all the time, in the post game the coach mentioned this as well, they score on this pp

Franzen's tripping... he had the stick between the legs and pens player noticed it and fell by himself, a clear dive..

And the most obvious that wasn't even called, the ~25sec period where pens had 6players on the ice and no penalty on pens

The only penalty I can agree on is that stupid holding by cleary in the offensive zone, forecheckers aint suppose to do that...

So basically i think pens played 4min powerplay too much and detroit should have played 2mins more of powerplay.. talk about difference maker in a game where almost all goals came in the PP

Two many men was a missed call plain and simple, a little worse because, all 4 officials can make that call.

The Cleary penalty was easily real, he had his off hand wrapped around the guy just holding on.

The Ericsson penalty was also legit. the only thing is since the anaheim series they had let that go both ways. Whoever he hit had not played the puck and was just pursuing it. regular season that was a penalty. unless both dman and forward where going for the puck. I noticed in the Anaheim series as long as the dman was pursuing the forward who was pursuing the puck he could hit him. Confused? yeah Campbell does that to me too. But that is what Ericsson did. frustrating because they decided to call it this time, but it is a penalty.

The Franzen penalty should/will? get called everytime, you have to have control/are responsible of your stick

I guess, the main complaint would have to be the missed calls. But like I've said before, there is no conspiracy(hopefully) but the league will try to help the team that is down, extend the series so they can make more money. IF they get the chance and at 2-2 with 10 minutes left the refs had a chance. THAT should be the focus. The Wings dominated the 2nd, not scoring there is why they lost.

I had the privilege of having a few friends over to my house to watch the game last night like I normally do. Last night, I had a couple pens fans and a couple Wings fans over. I was typing on my laptop to the LGW Forum members at the same time. While it was fun having them over, my wife and I both agree that it was a ***** fest. Seems that the Pens fans and the Wings fans just bitched about the non-calls all night long. Whenever a Pens player dropped, the Pens fans would yell at the TV and vice versa. It got pretty tiring after the game was over and I was glad to get them out of my house.

Point is that there was a lot of missed calls on both sides. The last penalty on Big E was a little weak, but I am a Wings fan. There were more than a few occasions when I saw the Wings running interference, hooking, slashing, and diving. Heck, the first call on the Pens when Cleary got hit from behind was really weak. Cleary embellished it thats for sure.

At the end of the game, the Pens fans didn't complain about the reffing too much while the Wings fans are livid about it. Even on this forum, the first two games were "just fine" while game 3 was "awful". Ever notice how the reffing sucks when you lose and the reffing was ok when you win?

The refs didn't hand the Pens this game, the Wings did.

The first Pens goal should have never happened if the Wings defense wasn't total crap on that play. Gotta get someone on him and thats what happens when you leave someone all alone in the slot. The second Pens goal Ozzie probably wants back as it went five hole on him and it was unscreened I think. I wasn't in net so I don't know for sure. The third goal the Wings were gassed and couldn't clear the puck. Got to hand it to the Pens for a really well executed power play.

Personally, I am sick of the LGW Forum community bitching about the reffing and hearing all the "conspiracy" theories. Here is something that people here probably haven't thought of yet....

The Pens are a great team. I bet only about 10% of the forum members here even acknowledge that. The rest like to blame the refs and the NHL conspiracy for the wings downfall instead of giving credit where credit is due. If the Wings lose this series, I bet 90% of the LGW Forum would say it was the refs that screwed us out of getting the cup instead of acknowledging the fact we were beat by a better team.

It really gets tiring to see a community of fans rooting for a team I enjoy watching just get all bent out of shape over nothing. I know the fans here like to point out the LetsGoPens forum and all the horrible fans they have over there. Guess what? The fans with the same mentality are over here too and its disgusting and stupid.

I apologize for the rant here, but I expect a little more from the LGW Community. Maybe I am delusional..... :D

Were any of these legit? here's what I think, anyone agree?

Ericsson's interference... I thought Gill and Orpik did this all the time, in the post game the coach mentioned this as well, they score on this pp

Franzen's tripping... he had the stick between the legs and pens player noticed it and fell by himself, a clear dive..

And the most obvious that wasn't even called, the ~25sec period where pens had 6players on the ice and no penalty on pens

The only penalty I can agree on is that stupid holding by cleary in the offensive zone, forecheckers aint suppose to do that...

So basically i think pens played 4min powerplay too much and detroit should have played 2mins more of powerplay.. talk about difference maker in a game where almost all goals came in the PP

I had no problem with the calls. On Franzen's, guys put their sticks between players legs all the time, but in doing so, you leave yourself open for a potential tripping call. Hard to say if there was a dive or not as you do go down pretty easy on those if you try to get your legs moving. I think most are calling dive just because Franzen suggested so, but any player in the same situation would have said it was a dive as well, so I take that with a grain of salt.

On the Ericsson call, I guess I said I didn't have any problems, but I guess I've got a small one with this and that's consistency. It was definately a penalty as far as the rules go, the problem is that you don't know what you can and can't do, I understand where you can distinguish this from similar instances, but where is the fine line? There really shoudln't be a fine line, it should be black and white. The reason this was called is because the Pens player never touched the puck, he wasn't a guy dumping it in and then trying to get past the D (to be honest, I don't think there should be a difference and I'd like to see this called more often) + there was far too much time from when the puck went by and when Ericsson came and initiated contact. I agree it's a penalty, but I'd also like to see that called all the time because it is plays like those that really cut down on some offense off the rush.

They definately missed the too many men call, but to be honest, I didn't even notice it until CBC showed the replays.

Lets see did the officiating suck in game 3, Yes!

Did it suck in games 1 & 2, well no, it was still not called by the book, and the players still have no clue what is or isn't a penalty, but as a fan the game was better, but as far as calling it by the book, yes they once again sucked.

Ericsson's call, had to be made, when he and Lebda looked at each other and realized neither was going after the puck, Big E just thrust his body into the Pen, needed to be called. So didn't A couple of the Hal Gill ones, but E's was much more blatant.

The Wings PK was horrible, Cleary should have let the puck clear the zone, for some reason he reaches out to knock down the puck for control, even though it is already leaving the zone. He knocks it down without control, the Pens pick it up and Ozzie never even saw the puck!

I say all of that to say this:

The Wings have yet to play a full game this series. They same to take at least 10 minutes off (mentally) a game. They tend to get caught in this game of being too cute, and not just on offense either.

The between the legs and blind passes out of the zone need to stop, this is not a game against a NYI team that has mailed it in. This is the SCF, a rematch with a pissed off team.

Memo to Wings players, Please play the whole game and stop getting too fancy!

Thanks Opie, oh and if it is not too much can I get a game worn Jersey (any player) with all of your sigs thanks!

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Thing that befuddles me about obstruction is that they call Ericsson in a crucial point of a tied game for a so-so interference.

Yet earlier in the game, 1st period I think, somebody dumps it in and I think Helm is trying to go get it, he gets past the 1st defender and then Gonchar absolutely bumps him and pushes him 7 feet into the boards and rubs him out. Gonchar never attempted to play the puck. The Wing forward never got near the puck. Isn't that a blatantly obvious interference?

Then, in game 2, the Wings got a break away when Orpik stood up and drilled Hudler at the blueline, allowing other Wings to break in. That's all fine and dandy but if memory serves, Hudler never touched the puck, he was coming down the boards, the puck sort of went by him and boom, Orpik just flattens him.

Look, the Wings dive and obstruct as well as any team in the league so don't mistake this for a Wings can do no wrong, Pens are getting away with murder whine-fest.

All i'm saying is those were 2 enormously blatant obstructions that nobody even thought twice about.

If anyone tivo'd it, watch the 1st period of last night and watch Gonchar (pretty sure it was him) just ride a Wing forward into the boards on an obvious obstruction. I mean, it was ridiculous.

Anyway, we didn't play very well, they played better and we were lucky to really be in it IMO. Too many turnovers, tired legs. Pens had tons of jump. But you know what, that was their game. That was the game they were going to be the most pumped up about. It's downhill from last night. They can't muster up that type of desperation again. Even if they were to win game 4 I don't see it. A 7 game series eliminates the question of which team is deeper and better. And even if it goes 7, I won't mind as i'm 100% confident we'll win anyway. Foregone conclusion. Yeah, I said it.

Well, just watch the slow mo replay of "Hossa's" supposed slash in game 2. The one where he never even made contact with the broken stick. Lead to one of Pittsburgh.....well nah actually in that case, Detroit had to score it for them.

Hossa did not slash Dupuis like much of the Pen's fanbase originally thought. I thought the same too until I saw the replay. He did hook Dupuis right before that though. Again, who cares. Bad calls and non calls have and always will go both ways. Hope this series goes 7 games, it would be great entertainment, and great for the sport.

Hossa did not slash Dupuis like much of the Pen's fanbase originally thought. I thought the same too until I saw the replay. He did hook Dupuis right before that though. Again, who cares. Bad calls and non calls have and always will go both ways. Hope this series goes 7 games, it would be great entertainment, and great for the sport.

Spot on -- it did look at first like Hossa split the stick on purpose. Replay seemed to show incidental contact, and frankly I blame Dupuis for wasting time looking for a call when he should've been bee-lining to get a new stick. And yes, Hossa did get away with a hook -- as for who cares, well I guess you haven't read the about 1,000 posts here whining about the refs being in the tank for the Pens. Glad to see somebody recognizes these things go both ways. Such as the Pens getting away with too many men, Detroit getting away with a blatant pick on the PP goal. It... works... both... ways. The Pens won for the same reason Detroit did the other two -- starting with dominating face-off wins.

7 games would be awesome -- provided of course the Pens win. :) (cute smiley face thing added for effect)

Edited by BewareThePenguin

Thing that befuddles me about obstruction is that they call Ericsson in a crucial point of a tied game for a so-so interference.

Yet earlier in the game, 1st period I think, somebody dumps it in and I think Helm is trying to go get it, he gets past the 1st defender and then Gonchar absolutely bumps him and pushes him 7 feet into the boards and rubs him out. Gonchar never attempted to play the puck. The Wing forward never got near the puck. Isn't that a blatantly obvious interference?

I sighted the same incident in an earlier post. When I was watching the game, that was the one that stuck out most in my mind: turned to a friend and said "that was as much as any two players could interfere with the opposition on a dump in, and no call. I will guarantee you that come third period, the Wings get a much softer interference call against them, just you wait."

Sure enough, laughable interference call ruins a good 5 on 5 game. My problem is with the inconsistent, whimsical way penalties are assessed. Calls/non-calls in the first should be the same in the third. They changed the standard of officiating that saw crosscutcks to the head and Super Hal Gill interference all game, and by doing so tilted the advantage of the game.

Bettman got exactly what he wanted, a series. Just makes me sick how he gets it.

I have no problem calling that penalty on Ericson if they are consistently calling that.. but how many times do you see Helm skating into the zone not having touched the puck but gets stood up by Gill in the exact same fashion.

Exactly!

i hate the new NHL and i hate how they treat malkin and crosby as their little babies. its all BS, come on babcock throw downey in for one shift with malkin or crosby so he can show them how real men fight

i hate the new NHL and i hate how they treat malkin and crosby as their little babies. its all BS, come on babcock throw downey in for one shift with malkin or crosby so he can show them how real men fight

Frankly I found Babcock's thinly veiled whining about penalties last night a bit disappointing. Bylsma had plenty to complain about the first two games, and chose to take the high road. Babcock could learn a thing or two from this.

Why tick off the ref crews for future consideration? Best to shut up and play on.

Frankly I found Babcock's thinly veiled whining about penalties last night a bit disappointing. Bylsma had plenty to complain about the first two games, and chose to take the high road. Babcock could learn a thing or two from this.

Why tick off the ref crews for future consideration? Best to shut up and play on.

I watched Babs press conference and there was no complaining about refs. I hope the mods start banning people for making erroneous posts; it's getting rather ridiculous.