• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HankZetty

Officiating thread

Rate this topic

Exactly!

It's a matter of body position. If Gill's meeting him chest on chest, as happened, he's entitled to hold his space.

The Detroit interference, on the other hand, involved a player clearly beaten to a SIDE, grabbing out to stop the player.

That's your difference.

Regards,

Professor Penguin

Rulesmaster

Frankly I found Babcock's thinly veiled whining about penalties last night a bit disappointing. Bylsma had plenty to complain about the first two games, and chose to take the high road. Babcock could learn a thing or two from this.

Why tick off the ref crews for future consideration? Best to shut up and play on.

Kinda agree with this, it sure sucks to be on a bad side of a ref (I been there playing hockey). They start to call everything on you, and seem to let things go for the other team. It mainly comes down to keeping your cool, move on from the call, and just play the game.

i hate the new NHL and i hate how they treat malkin and crosby as their little babies. its all BS, come on babcock throw downey in for one shift with malkin or crosby so he can show them how real men fight

If you hate it, why do you watch it? The NHL treating star players like gold is nothing new. Gretzky and Mario got the same treatment.

As a rational Pens fan:

the pens bench was yelling "get off the ice", not the ref. it was not free pass by the officials. to say otherwise makes you sound like philly and washington and quite frankly, you are better than that.

the ref's absolutely missed a cross check and an elbow against the pens.

the ref's abolutely missed an interference (or two) against the wings.

you arent called hockeytown for no reason. you know it is a poorly ref'd league.

great game as always........ i almost had a coronary in the last 3 minutes just waiting for you to tie it up

good luck thursday night

Good post, Reggie.

Yes, there were some bad calls last night, and you pointed out some of them. Like the Pens fans, we're frustrated with the lack of consistency, and what irritates me most is how the games are called based on the game score, and the series standings.

I'm not just talking about the Wings playoff games here - throughout these playoffs across the board, the games have been reffed with one eye on the scoreboard and one on the series.

And you're not the only one that almost had a coronary...my heart was going a mile a minute waiting for our Wings to tie it up.

Again - good post, and glad to see some of the respectful fans show up.

Looking forward to game 4...

If you hate it, why do you watch it? The NHL treating star players like gold is nothing new. Gretzky and Mario got the same treatment.

i should have worded that better, my bad. i do not like crosby or malkin.

is that better for u

I watched Babs press conference and there was no complaining about refs. I hope the mods start banning people for making erroneous posts; it's getting rather ridiculous.

What's ridiculous is your banning of free speech suggestion, for "erroneousnous."

Did you catch Babcock's conference? First he called out a Pens' "unnamed" player he claimed committed the same infraction 4 times. That's not complaining about not getting calls? Then he sneaked in some dig about how the Wings should've gotten more PP opportunites in the final period. His post-game remarks were basically all about the calls. Frankly I found it beneath him.

i should have worded that better, my bad. i do not like crosby or malkin.

is that better for u

Yes, I expect you do. I hate Franzen, Zetterberg, Hossa.....well your entire team...atleast until this series is over.

But I respect the hell out of them all.

What's ridiculous is your banning of free speech suggestion, for "erroneousnous."

Did you catch Babcock's conference? First he called out a Pens' "unnamed" player he claimed committed the same infraction 4 times. That's not complaining about not getting calls? Then he sneaked in some dig about how the Wings should've gotten more PP opportunites in the final period. His post-game remarks were basically all about the calls. Frankly I found it beneath him.

He said he saw the same guy commit it 4 times and then said that is hockey and that happens. He didn't call out the refs and he certainly didn't blame them for the loss.

He said they got the PP and we didn't. That's black and white. The Pens got a PP and the Wings didn't. He never said the Wings deserved one, that the Wings should have gotten one. His post game comments are what the media asks questions about and the media basically asked him about powerplays. Get over yourself

Yes, I expect you do. I hate Franzen, Zetterberg, Hossa.....well your entire team...atleast until this series is over.

But I respect the hell out of them all.

i was just trying to be nice by saying just a few ppl from your team but i cant stand any of them

He said he saw the same guy commit it 4 times and then said that is hockey and that happens. He didn't call out the refs and he certainly didn't blame them for the loss.

He said they got the PP and we didn't. That's black and white. The Pens got a PP and the Wings didn't. He never said the Wings deserved one, that the Wings should have gotten one. His post game comments are what the media asks questions about and the media basically asked him about powerplays. Get over yourself

Oh COME ON -- adding "oh that's hockey it happens" is like saying "oh that's gunplay, it happens" after accusing a guy of shooting you. Nothing more than trying to disguise a complaint. Who makes or doesn't make the calls -- the Zamboni driver? Of course he's targeting the refs. I'd rather hear him come outright and scream it rather than try to sound all nonchalant and stuff. At least that'd be honest.

Oh COME ON -- adding "oh that's hockey it happens" is like saying "oh that's gunplay, it happens" after accusing a guy of shooting you. Nothing more than trying to disguise a complaint. Who makes or doesn't make the calls -- the Zamboni driver? Of course he's targeting the refs. I'd rather hear him come outright and scream it rather than try to sound all nonchalant and stuff. At least that'd be honest.

Odd because honesty doesn't appear to be some thing you are good at nor something you like to hear!

Of course he was targeting the refs, I agree 100%, but that's our coach. That's how he gets his points across...in a witty way. He doesn't come out like Therien or Hitchcock and sound like a complete whiner.

I love Babs for the way he handles questions. Bottom line, the Pens only got 1 more power play. We suck ass on our PK. The weakness on this team this year is the PK, and I'm disgusted with that aspect of our game.

Calls and non-calls were missed on both sides, some more obvious than others. But we dominated 2nd period and we didn't score. It's our fault.

Fans have every right to complain about the refs. None of us are the professionals, and that's why i don't buy the argument "you call out Crosby for whining yet your'e doing it). He's the professional and he's a captain. We as fans after an emotional and passionate game have a right to complain, but after we all calm down, rationality should set back in.

I think all things considered, the refing has not been that much of a factor in the series...not really, not in the big picture.

The call on Ericcson is annoying because far worse things were let go in the game, then they seemingly call a weak ass penalty in period 3 of a game with a lot riding on it. But if you look at the play separately, it's definitely interference. That's my take on it.

I found this quite interesting...

Darren Dreger of TSN is reporting that the Red Wings are still complaining about the too many men thing from the 1st period of game 3, saying that they are accusing referee Dennis Leroux (sp?) was yelling at Penguin players telling them to get off the ice.

I've never heard of a team making these kinds of allegations without being damn sure of themselves (especially the Red Wings who typically write off the officiating because they aren't supposed to say anything). I'd be interested to look at the tape and see if anything can be heard during the replay. Does anyone know what the time on the clock was when it happened?

In response to myself...

I found it. It's at about the 7:30 mark (remaining) in the first period. After the TV-Timeout VS does a replay of the incident and it definitely looks as though the official at center ice turned to Mark Eaton and told him to get off the ice.... Scary stuff.

The call on Ericcson is annoying because far worse things were let go in the game, then they seemingly call a weak ass penalty in period 3 of a game with a lot riding on it. But if you look at the play separately, it's definitely interference. That's my take on it.

Hal gill gets away with interfering our forwards every time hes out there which is the only thing that really annoyed me about the call..

Of course he was targeting the refs, I agree 100%, but that's our coach. That's how he gets his points across...in a witty way. He doesn't come out like Therien or Hitchcock and sound like a complete whiner

Agreed, and babcock also knows there will be no hesitation from the league to give him a 10,000 fine if he says anything directly bad babout the refs... Classy, and smart man babcock is.

Guest Shoreline

There's no logic to the conspiracy theory of the refs being in bed with Crosby or the Pens or Bettman or Sasquatch.

However, there's obviously a major problem with reffing that extends beyond the scope of "the refs are only human and make mistakes". The impression I get from the way they call things is they have either a superior who tells them how to ref or they have an agreement with other refs on specific things to call, and overlooking other things. Before the lockout obstruction was pretty much given a pass despite it being against the rules. The refs clearly in this case SAW the obstruction, interference, holding, etc., just refused to call it. This would be a similar scenario.

Does this benefit the Wings? Surely not. But I doubt it benefits ANY team. This officiating to me does the NHL a major disservice not only for the fans but the players on the ice who don't even know the boundaries of what they can or cannot do. One can also say that forcing officiating to be consistent also puts the evil Sauron eye of scrutiny on the referees directly, which, I'm sure in their negotiations with the league they wouldn't want. I'm sure they're perfectly fine with outlandish conspiracy theories which are extremely easy to dismiss.