• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lovin Jiri Fischer

Bettman's interview on CBC last night

Rate this topic

To me, Bettman looked even more like a clown than he has in the past. He was fumbling his words all over the place, kept interrupting, and looked like he had no idea what he was talking about. He also seemed extra argumentative.

If anyone missed it, he basically rambled on about how he's hell bent on keeping the team in Phoenix in spite of the fact that they are bankrupt, make no money, and have no fans...and that he doesn't want to relocate them to a place where they would be more successful. He would rather just pump money in for them. Apparently he doesn't understand how capitalism works.

He also talked about how he didn't care that taxpayers have to support the building of these arenas, and that they shouldn't have any say in what happens. Another topic of discussion was about the cap, and how he doesn't care if a team has so many injuries and can't pull up any more players because they used up all their allowance. And the other topic was hits to the head (surprise surprise) and how he is doing everything possible to eliminate hits to the head and how he actually started to distribute DVD's about it. I can't wait to watch. Then he was asked about whether or not Havlat should have played after the Kronwall hit, and Bettman said that "he probably cleared all the tests so why not."

How can anyone take this guy seriously? He looks like a cartoon character.

I agree with all of you guys but i gotta say, I watched game 6 of the finals again last night (from 08) and i kinda feel sorry for him getting booed down there and shaking all over the place, i just couldn't imagine how any one can deal with that every time he steps on to the ice for what is essentialy the biggest moment of the year. As lame as this sounds I hate thinking about how people like his family must feel watching it too.

Then again hes probably s*** at decision making at home too so maybe they enjoy it :lol:

I just don't get his attitude when it comes to teams that aren't making money. I understand the economy isn't going to stay where it's at right now forever, but they haven't made money in phoenix in quite some time and they'd about be guaranteed to be profitable in hamilton. Balsillie and Bettman's problem with him is another thing I don't understand. The guy has plenty of money, he's canadian and he wants to own a team.. what more exactly does Buttman want? Another owner that's permanently under his desk? And that's what I'm wondering is the problem, that Bettman sees Balsillie as a threat to him, even if it's just that Balsillie will call him out every now and again for some douchebaggery he's pulled.

It takes a "big man" to step up and succeed, but it takes a bigger one to admit you're wrong- and he knows he's f***in wrong and he's just trying not to get completely exposed at this point.

I just don't get his attitude when it comes to teams that aren't making money. I understand the economy isn't going to stay where it's at right now forever, but they haven't made money in phoenix in quite some time and they'd about be guaranteed to be profitable in hamilton.

This is exactly the point. Phoenix wasn't making money even before the economy got bad. I don't understand why Bettman wants to sit there and watch it happen.

I was looking for a video of that interview this morning. He made a comment last night that just screeeamed "I'm a dainty princess - please accompany me to the nearest bath-house or men's room". Something along the lines of "I'm never hot at you, Ron", while smiling menacingly.

He did something similar when Ken and Mickey interviewed him during the Columbus series. The guy's a spaz.

EDIT: If you follow the link provided, its around 2:20

Edited by Ozzie30

Bettman's vision has always been about US expansion and "growing the game" in the same manner as the NBA. From Wikipedia:

"Under Bettman, the NHL has seen rapid growth of league revenues, from $400 million when he was hired to over $2.2 billion in 2006–07."

That's why the owner's like him.

I love how he acted confused when Ron brought up the taxpayer contributions. How sad.

Then Gary rumbled on about how bankers might not like this or that, oh please. Would a bank want to invest in a hockey club in Phoenix or one that is in Canada? Exactly.

Edited by aflac9262

Oh Boy! Another thread about how much Bettman sucks!!

Yeah, yeah, yeah... we know.

However...

I'll give him this much. *fore-finger and thumb about a quarter of an inch apart*

His comments on the salary-cap and cap management are spot on, specifically as MacLean speaks to the point on the Flyers and Flames cap situations:

Bettman: "How you spend under the cap determines what your team is going to look like. If you don't leave yourself some room under the cap for injuries there's consequences for that. No club did anything wrong. You use your judgement and Calgary had a lot of injuries and made a trade and didn't leave themselves enough room."

MacLean: "Holgrom said, 'We wanna be the best, I guess we can't be.' You have to have leeway."

B: "No, what you have to do is leave yourself room to deal with all contingencies. ...Injuries are a part of the game."

McL: "So you wouldn't consider a change? (Leeway for clubs with x # of injuries in some phantom amount of time created by McL and his distaste of the cap) Don't you think the fans get cheated? The standings get cheated?"

B: "It's no different when a team signs a player who turns out to not to be the player they thought they signed and they used up their cap space.

Part of the system is to ensure that all of the teams can be competitive ...if there's no consequence for one team leaving no cap space you've blown a hole in the system. It's a playing rule of sorts. When clubs make their cap decisions they have to do it understanding the consequences."

McL: "So, you're okay with 15 skaters?"

B: "No, I'm okay with the teams making choices. I didn't determine the 15 skaters. They did by using up their cap space."

:thumbup:

...and the Master of Cap Space = Kenny Holland. :thumbup: :thumbup:

This is exactly the point. Phoenix wasn't making money even before the economy got bad. I don't understand why Bettman wants to sit there and watch it happen.

He's just in denial that he's wrong, it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

I'm waiting for someone like HillbillyWingsFan to pipe in with, 'We usually put down dogs that get squirrelly like that."

Bettman has increased league revenues enough to line most of the fat-pocketed owners who employ him, but I often wonder how much further revenues the NHL missed out on during his tenure. Most of his "successes" were in fixing the very problems he created.

Wow, I have always hated the guy, but this interview actually made me hate him less. His points on the cap were dead on correct. His points on the ‘bankruptcy issues†were also accurate as to the future ramifications. Maybe the team will move, but its up to the NHL to decide and not the BK courts.

As for the taxpayer money; he did look like a whinny. But what’s the league to do? not take the money? I blame the cities who give team money whether its football baseball or hockey. (or even if its Citi Bank, GM, or farm subsidies … sorry I should stay on hockey)

I still do not like him, but not because of anything he said in this interview. It's the whossification of the game and his attempt to make individual players bigger than the team (i.e., the NBA) that i don't like.