• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Flintstone Cicarelli

I love Hockey Fans.

Rate this topic

As I sat in my local bar on the outskirts of Pittsburgh last night watching game 3, drinking a cold beer and swearing at Fluery everytime he bumbled out of the net and fumbled with the puck like a bear cub playing with his pecker with boxing gloves on; I couldn't but think "damn the Wings are killing us tonight".

Sure, we won. Sure, bounces and penalties and circumstances help the lesser playing team win a hockey game some nights.

But, I'll be damned if the rank and file Pens fans in the bar and the ones that streamed in coming from the game all had a voice of domination and Pens solid play etc etc etc. I sipped my beer silently and thought; christ all mighty, we better play more solid hockey in the next few games or we'll be watching the red and white hoist the hardware again. Three fans in the slot by Zetterberg and Franzen away from being a 5-2 hockey game; I saw it.

Then today, I visit this forum to see what the faithful Wingnuts are saying and I see threads about Cooke and Orpik and dirty play etc etc etc and I sipped my coffee and silently thought "When Krommie does it the Pens fans say the same thing".

It is all about perspective. Hockey fans have zero perspective and fine honed in homer feelings. And I love them. Sit in a bar and listen during the next game; you'll hear the worst hockey color commentary from the gin soaked louts to the right and left.

I love hockey fans.

I read twitterings of Bettman's hands on the game and his orchestrating a ratings series and I laugh. I wonder why he didn't give the Pens game 1 to make it real interesting. I wonder how he moves the post to deflect shots when he needs it too. I wonder how he knows that the 4 or 5 power plays he allowed the refs to call in each game would be enough to keep his master plan on track.

I love hockey fans. I do.

Heres to a great game 4, 5 and hopefully 6 or 7. I'll love every comment, off-based ranting diatribe, sickening me-focused screed and every bashing, tongue lashing and intra-hockey-fan-forum fight.

And my sphincter will buckle everytime I see a huge mule in the crease untouched and a sharp shooter in red left open at the point while my team in black stand dizzily watching. I'll sip my beer and wonder why in God's name someone doesn't d-up the point man and chuck the crease squatter.

I love hockey fans. I love hockey. I do.

Edited by Flintstone Cicarelli

Awesome post! It seems hockey fans aren't immune from the culture to blame someone/thing else for failings and to only see things from one side. This series has been great so far!

It is pretty much a direct swipe of the Albom format/style (nothing new - Albom probably stole it too) and the sphincter line was rather contrived, awkward and forced. Hint, if someone on a hockey forum tells you that you have great writing, consider the source. Don't quit that day job just yet.

Great Post from a non-wings fan.

To be able to post beyond your local supported team, is a plus!!

Keep posting, I really enjoyed it.

I too am a hockey fan, but of course Anaheim Ducks are my team. However; I support the Western Conference teams no matter WHAT!! Go Wings in 6!!

For today. Tomorrow I might try on my Peter King. You'll love me when i am Andy Rooney.

Did you even notice that they call it "icing", the whole thing is ice, wouldn't any shot technically be icing.....when i was a kid we called cake frosting "icing".

^^I couldn't help but read that in Andy Rooney voice. Nice posts.

It is pretty much a direct swipe of the Albom format/style (nothing new - Albom probably stole it too) and the sphincter line was rather contrived, awkward and forced. Hint, if someone on a hockey forum tells you that you have great writing, consider the source. Don't quit that day job just yet.

I'd dare say it is a tossup (or a faceoff) whether or not to find credence in the advice from a hockey forum resident or a poster with a nom de plume fashioned after an adolescent term for an erection. Contrived indeed. (some sort of smiling emoticon)

After losing to Edmonton in 2006 I gave up looking at blown calls/non-calls, bad bounces, injuries, and everything else as causes for an inferior team unjustly beating a more deserving one. Life became much less stressful once I accepted these things as random, uncontrollable factors that must be defeated just like any other opponent. IMO, the better team always wins. If you can't play well enough to overcome adverse factors that every team faces to one extent or another then you probably aren't meant to be a champion.

I've learned that every fan thinks the league is out to get their team. Pens fans think the refs want the Wings to win and Wings fans think the refs want the pens to win. (is it just me or is that a mouth full?)

The truth?

That the refs want the pens to win, duh.

Edited by Z and D for the C

After losing to Edmonton in 2006 I gave up looking at blown calls/non-calls, bad bounces, injuries, and everything else as causes for an inferior team unjustly beating a more deserving one. Life became much less stressful once I accepted these things as random, uncontrollable factors that must be defeated just like any other opponent. IMO, the better team always wins. If you can't play well enough to overcome adverse factors that every team faces to one extent or another then you probably aren't meant to be a champion.

You and me both, kid. Well said.

Great post by the OP as well. I had a blast reading it, and could relate on many levels.

I hardly think the OP is going to take career advice from someone that advises him to tell his boss to "f*** Off."

Seriously. ;)