• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Digdug76

For all those whining...

Rate this topic

As the OP already observed, Wings fans are not upset about the call on Ericsson, that is a call that you almost have to make, but the main cause of our complaint is that the officials have chosen to ignore violations that were just as obvious by Penguins players. I counted at least 3 plays by Orpik where he either interfered, slashed or cross-checked a Red Wings player and there was no call. As for Zetterberg in the crease, yes in game 1 they could have called it, in game 2 he blocked the goal line with his body, good no call there. Finally, as for Hossa's "slash " on Dupuis that led to the GWG, Dupuis broke his stick on Hossa's skate and was dropping it when Hossa hit it, so there should not have been any call, again the right call by the refs. The vast majority of intelligent Wings fans here realize that there is no conspiracy to hand the Cup to the Penguins, but we have a legitimate beef about the officiating trends in this series, especially when the league is supposed to have selected their best officials. It's disappointing and frustrating, but nothing more. All that being said, we have been atrocious on the PK and we can't afford to take as many penalties as we have, and we definitely cannot afford to have the refs making bad calls against us.

How about this after this? I penguins and I can't expectation for them, it is which necessary to beat you panki! For it is necessary to stop them continuous confinement and selections and to lose as people.

Was the Ericsson penalty interference in the regular season? Probably. The problem isn't the penalty vs. regular season, or even vs. the rest of the series, if the NHL is going to achieve any kind of consistency, at least make it period to period in a single game.

The refs let go so much interference from Gill and Orpik it was ridiculous, but I didn't care because they were setting a standard of officiating, and as long as flow wasn't continually broken by PP time, I can live with it as long as its consistent.

The second they called the Ericsson interference, they grossly changed the standard set in the previous two periods. That is the real problem: calling a legit penalty after setting a standard for looking the other way, especially since Ericsson's was much less blatant the those committed by others earlier in the game. Its the same as football, interference and holding can be called every play, but when you decide to call one over another not based on severity but more based on whimsy, the refs take the game out of the players' hands and have officially swayed the balance.

The reason why there are so many "whiners" is the fact that before the game the league said they were going to call it closer, they didn't, UNTIL Ericsson in the 3rd period. Also, this same league that wanted their rules called to the letter, decided to overturn one of their own that said the Pens best player EARNED an AUTOMATIC suspension. On top of that, the hilariously missed/dismissed 6 on 5 for 20+ seconds (I've never even heard of such things) coupled with the Penguins non-stop media love and Bettman's transparent need to prolong the series.

In the end, things looked awful fishy when the dust settled on Game 3. Wings will hopefully feed off of it. GO WINGS

Edited by b.shanafan14

Was the Ericsson penalty interference in the regular season? Probably. The problem isn't the penalty vs. regular season, or even vs. the rest of the series, if the NHL is going to achieve any kind of consistency, at least make it period to period in a single game.

The refs let go so much interference from Gill and Orpik it was ridiculous, but I didn't care because they were setting a standard of officiating, and as long as flow wasn't continually broken by PP time, I can live with it as long as its consistent.

The second they called the Ericsson interference, they grossly changed the standard set in the previous two periods. That is the real problem: calling a legit penalty after setting a standard for looking the other way, especially since Ericsson's was much less blatant the those committed by others earlier in the game. Its the same as football, interference and holding can be called every play, but when you decide to call one over another not based on severity but more based on whimsy, the refs take the game out of the players' hands and have officially swayed the balance.

The reason why there are so many "whiners" is the fact that before the game the league said they were going to call it closer, they didn't, UNTIL Ericsson in the 3rd period. Also, this same league that wanted their rules called to the letter, decided to overturn one of their own that said the Pens best player EARNED an AUTOMATIC suspension. On top of that, the hilariously missed/dismissed 6 on 5 for 20+ seconds (I've never even heard of such things) coupled with the Penguins non-stop media love and Bettman's transparent need to prolong the series.

In the end, things looked awful fishy when the dust settled on Game 3. Wings will hopefully feed off of it. GO WINGS

QFT. Nobody would be talking about the Ericsson call if some of those earlier interference penalties were called on Pittsburgh. If you're going to let them play, then let them play. If you're going to call it tight, then call it tight. But you can't just start calling penalties like those (ESPECIALLY at that point in a hockey game) after letting alot of things slide earlier.

Still, the main concern last night was our play. We just kept making mistake after mistake and eventually it bit us. We can't afford another performance like we saw in those last two periods.

How about this after this? I penguins and I can't expectation for them, it is which necessary to beat you panki! For it is necessary to stop them continuous confinement and selections and to lose as people.

WHAT ? :blink:

:blink:

I've been a Wings fan for a lot longer than I care to admit to and the playoffs have always been a time to put the whistles away and let the players deside. As others have mentioned all I'm looking for is to have the game called the same way all the way through.

Players from both teams understand what will and won't be called after the first 5 minutes of play. The old standard was that you only called what changed a direct scoring chance almost everything else was left for the players to "work out" on the ice. This is how it was and how it should be.

The call on E was a good call, for the regular season, not a) in the 3rd period of a SCF game, b) when you haven't been calling this (and worse) all evening.

BTW - it is a primary duty of a linesman to look for too many men on the ice and is one of a very few penalties they can call.

Penalty killing has been our one and only real achilles heel these playoffs, and it finally came back to haunt the Wings last night. The Pens can't score without Crosby or Malkin's involvement, but they for the most part have also had trouble scoring unless they physically outnumber the Wings; a tighter PK could really have been the difference between a 4-2 loss and a 2-1 win, one-sided officiating or not. All the more reason Draper and likely Datsyuk being back for game 4 will be HUGE for Detroit. Even if the two of them aren't lighting the lamp, they'll go a long way in helping to patch up that one glaring weakness.

I think the reason people were upset about it is not because it wasn't an intereference call but because there was lots of intereference on both sides all night then all of a sudden they decide to call one on Erriccson. Either call ALL the penalties or don't call any of them. But stay consistent.

Cocaine's a hell of a drug

i am not saying that it was not a penalty because it was ,But gill was making that same play the whole game and it wasnt called. if your gonna make that called it has to be called on a consistant basis, both ways that way the players no what is gonna get called and what they can get away with. thats all im sayin is that if they dont want to call it in the first when a team could gain a two goal lead and momentum from it they shouldnt be able to let it decide the game in the third period either.

DSCF0300.jpg

Me messing around at the Joe last Sunday.

'For all those Whining' - nice title from an opposing fan on a forum.

Officiating is part of the game. Just show me some consistency and I will be happy.