45 replies to this topic

#21 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (Digdug76 @ June 3, 2009 - 11:21AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, normally I have a lot of respect for Babcock, but even HE was whining in a subtle way after the game. Talking about how the Pens got a PP and they didn't in the third

This is EXACTLY what you're doing. Saying how it's not the refs, but every example in your post are the ones that went against the Pens. Some are not even clear like Zetterberg. At the same time, you apparently didn't notice the plethura of calls that went the the Pens way, like Malkin's automatic suspension that wasn't, Malkin's hook that lead to his breakaway, 6 men on the ice for 20+ seconds, the cross checks to the head in games 1 and 3 that weren't called and so on. This would be a wolf in sheeps clothing post. Hey, fun series, the refs are callign everything your way, but it's OK. Having fun. Right, you're full of it.
Frank Herbert: Fear is the mind-killer

Groucho Marx: Sincerity is the key to success. If you can fake that, you've got it made

George Patton: If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking

Doctor Who: Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink

#22 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:11 PM

Here's something you won't here from Penguins fans today, so I will share it. On AM640 Toronto (home of the Leafs), they have had the home team's radio feed for each game of the SCF; Mr. Kal and Mr. Woods for G1 and G2, with Mike Lange and Phil Bourque for G3 last night. It's the Second Intermission, the score is tied at two. Lange is talking about how Detroit has it over Pittsburgh in the one area that, he says, will win you the Cup: team defense. He said that if Pittsburgh gets beat in the SCF, they can at least say they were beaten by an overall better team. I was shocked that he was that openly honest on the air; maybe he's retiring at the end of the season and doesn't give a b-r-a. I can't wait to listen to G4 to see if he's singing the same song.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#23 mariah

mariah

Draper Love

• Silver Booster
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:11 PM

In order for Babcock to say anything a slight bit negative about anyone means that something is very wrong, Because he doesn't do that EVER.

Edited by mariah, 03 June 2009 - 05:12 PM.

#24 Digdug76

Digdug76

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:16 PM

While I agree that the 6 men on the ice should have been called, I guess I wasn't feeling too sorry seeing as the refs ignored Zetterberg covering the puck in game one which could have changed the game. I'm not saying it would have happened...and with the Pens breakaway skills, the odds are against it haha. But at least there would have been a chance to change the game. However, they chose NOT to call it.

In game two, I never said anything about a slash like people on here are saying...i said Hossa hooked him and if you go back and watch the replay like I've done on PVR, you can see that Dupuis was just about to ice the puck when Hossa came in with his stick, parallel to the ice, and hooked him so that he couldn't shoot. The stick break I wasn't upset at. The thing is, I've seen the smallest ticky tack hooks get called all year, then a blatent hook where it detered the player from icing the puck didn't get called. Just boggled my mind and scoring on top of it made it worse.

I agree with the Wings fans in the fact that there's a lot of interference going on all over the ice and it stunk that Ericsson got called right then and there. However, there's no doubting it WAS a penalty....but i guess what we're all looking for is consistency.

I just feel the refs missed two pretty blatent calls in game one and two that were QUITE obvious but for some reason chose to ignore them. Other calls get missed, but sometimes they're behind the play or off to the side of the action, whereas the puck covering and hook were RIGHT in the middle of the play.

That being said, scoring one goal in each of the first two games isn't going to win you any games, so the Pens better figure it out.

I guess it's sorta even now that major calls were either missed or called in each of the first 3 games and every one of them was pretty much a game changing call....or had the potential to be (penalty shot in game 1)

My point is, nobody has a right to be whining, it's gone both ways. I, along with many Pens fans were left scratching our heads after games 1 and 2 as to WHY they WEREN'T called, and now Wings fans are scratching their heads in game 3 as to why they WERE called.

Still, I think we've got some exciting hockey coming up here. If Datsyuk comes back, who sits? Abdelkader? What about if Draper comes back? With Datsyuk's struggles thus far in the playoffs, would it be beneficial to the Pens if he enters and Abdelkader sits??

#25 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:42 PM

I guess you're expecting something "Oh, yes, we all agree that it goes both ways, they are just inconsistent" and so on... No, it doesn't go both ways. Officiating cleary favored Pens in game 3. Interference is interference and there are no degrees it. I simply do not understand when people say "it was more severe interference so let's call it". If you like fair officiating you must be in favor of calling all interference penalties irrespective of how blatant they are.

Edited by RusDRW, 03 June 2009 - 05:43 PM.

Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#26 Factorial

Factorial

Jr. Prospect

• 22 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (bonan78 @ June 3, 2009 - 12:33PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As the OP already observed, Wings fans are not upset about the call on Ericsson, that is a call that you almost have to make, but the main cause of our complaint is that the officials have chosen to ignore violations that were just as obvious by Penguins players. I counted at least 3 plays by Orpik where he either interfered, slashed or cross-checked a Red Wings player and there was no call. As for Zetterberg in the crease, yes in game 1 they could have called it, in game 2 he blocked the goal line with his body, good no call there. Finally, as for Hossa's "slash " on Dupuis that led to the GWG, Dupuis broke his stick on Hossa's skate and was dropping it when Hossa hit it, so there should not have been any call, again the right call by the refs. The vast majority of intelligent Wings fans here realize that there is no conspiracy to hand the Cup to the Penguins, but we have a legitimate beef about the officiating trends in this series, especially when the league is supposed to have selected their best officials. It's disappointing and frustrating, but nothing more. All that being said, we have been atrocious on the PK and we can't afford to take as many penalties as we have, and we definitely cannot afford to have the refs making bad calls against us.

How about this after this? I penguins and I can't expectation for them, it is which necessary to beat you panki! For it is necessary to stop them continuous confinement and selections and to lose as people.
You will obtain in the grandmother of rapid lane, the game Of bingo preparedly to roll up!

#27 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:49 PM

Was the Ericsson penalty interference in the regular season? Probably. The problem isn't the penalty vs. regular season, or even vs. the rest of the series, if the NHL is going to achieve any kind of consistency, at least make it period to period in a single game.

The refs let go so much interference from Gill and Orpik it was ridiculous, but I didn't care because they were setting a standard of officiating, and as long as flow wasn't continually broken by PP time, I can live with it as long as its consistent.

The second they called the Ericsson interference, they grossly changed the standard set in the previous two periods. That is the real problem: calling a legit penalty after setting a standard for looking the other way, especially since Ericsson's was much less blatant the those committed by others earlier in the game. Its the same as football, interference and holding can be called every play, but when you decide to call one over another not based on severity but more based on whimsy, the refs take the game out of the players' hands and have officially swayed the balance.

The reason why there are so many "whiners" is the fact that before the game the league said they were going to call it closer, they didn't, UNTIL Ericsson in the 3rd period. Also, this same league that wanted their rules called to the letter, decided to overturn one of their own that said the Pens best player EARNED an AUTOMATIC suspension. On top of that, the hilariously missed/dismissed 6 on 5 for 20+ seconds (I've never even heard of such things) coupled with the Penguins non-stop media love and Bettman's transparent need to prolong the series.

In the end, things looked awful fishy when the dust settled on Game 3. Wings will hopefully feed off of it. GO WINGS

Edited by b.shanafan14, 03 June 2009 - 06:52 PM.

#28 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (b.shanafan14 @ June 3, 2009 - 06:49PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was the Ericsson penalty interference in the regular season? Probably. The problem isn't the penalty vs. regular season, or even vs. the rest of the series, if the NHL is going to achieve any kind of consistency, at least make it period to period in a single game.

The refs let go so much interference from Gill and Orpik it was ridiculous, but I didn't care because they were setting a standard of officiating, and as long as flow wasn't continually broken by PP time, I can live with it as long as its consistent.

The second they called the Ericsson interference, they grossly changed the standard set in the previous two periods. That is the real problem: calling a legit penalty after setting a standard for looking the other way, especially since Ericsson's was much less blatant the those committed by others earlier in the game. Its the same as football, interference and holding can be called every play, but when you decide to call one over another not based on severity but more based on whimsy, the refs take the game out of the players' hands and have officially swayed the balance.

The reason why there are so many "whiners" is the fact that before the game the league said they were going to call it closer, they didn't, UNTIL Ericsson in the 3rd period. Also, this same league that wanted their rules called to the letter, decided to overturn one of their own that said the Pens best player EARNED an AUTOMATIC suspension. On top of that, the hilariously missed/dismissed 6 on 5 for 20+ seconds (I've never even heard of such things) coupled with the Penguins non-stop media love and Bettman's transparent need to prolong the series.

In the end, things looked awful fishy when the dust settled on Game 3. Wings will hopefully feed off of it. GO WINGS

QFT. Nobody would be talking about the Ericsson call if some of those earlier interference penalties were called on Pittsburgh. If you're going to let them play, then let them play. If you're going to call it tight, then call it tight. But you can't just start calling penalties like those (ESPECIALLY at that point in a hockey game) after letting alot of things slide earlier.

Still, the main concern last night was our play. We just kept making mistake after mistake and eventually it bit us. We can't afford another performance like we saw in those last two periods.
-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#29 pazzloski

pazzloski

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:17 PM

the officials in the finals have been consistently inconsistent.

#30 mariah

mariah

Draper Love

• Silver Booster
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (Factorial @ June 3, 2009 - 07:20PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about this after this? I penguins and I can't expectation for them, it is which necessary to beat you panki! For it is necessary to stop them continuous confinement and selections and to lose as people.

WHAT ? blink.gif

#31 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

It's Now or Never, Kenny....

• Silver Booster
  • 5,446 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (Factorial @ June 3, 2009 - 04:20PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

blink.gif

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#32 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:32 PM

ROFL

Posted Image

#33 mariah

mariah

Draper Love

• Silver Booster
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:59 PM

I think he wants someone to beat their panki ! unsure.gif

#34 MrB0629

MrB0629

Jr. Prospect

• 22 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:20 PM

I've been a Wings fan for a lot longer than I care to admit to and the playoffs have always been a time to put the whistles away and let the players deside. As others have mentioned all I'm looking for is to have the game called the same way all the way through.

Players from both teams understand what will and won't be called after the first 5 minutes of play. The old standard was that you only called what changed a direct scoring chance almost everything else was left for the players to "work out" on the ice. This is how it was and how it should be.

The call on E was a good call, for the regular season, not a) in the 3rd period of a SCF game, b) when you haven't been calling this (and worse) all evening.

BTW - it is a primary duty of a linesman to look for too many men on the ice and is one of a very few penalties they can call.

#35 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (lomekian @ June 3, 2009 - 11:43AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Basically we're bitching because 1) we're a little nervous 2) No Dats 3) Poor officiating over an extended period of time 4) Our PK has disintegrated. We all know that the pens are the one team out east who could turn this around, and we're a couple of key players down. Our s***ty PK means we are vulnerable to the Pens PP, so bad or inconsitant calls are really hurting us.

That right there pretty much sums up my views on this series so far - though to be honest I just might fear the refs more than the Pens.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#36 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (RedFX @ June 3, 2009 - 07:01PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QFT. Nobody would be talking about the Ericsson call if some of those earlier interference penalties were called on Pittsburgh. If you're going to let them play, then let them play. If you're going to call it tight, then call it tight. But you can't just start calling penalties like those (ESPECIALLY at that point in a hockey game) after letting alot of things slide earlier.

Still, the main concern last night was our play. We just kept making mistake after mistake and eventually it bit us. We can't afford another performance like we saw in those last two periods.

Agreed.

It's bad enough that the refs failed to noticed 6 Pens on the ice for 20 plus seconds, but then to make the call on Ericsson with 10 min left in the game, and numerous interference non-calls just made me wanna puke.gif

#37 Cern

Cern

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:36 PM

Penalty killing has been our one and only real achilles heel these playoffs, and it finally came back to haunt the Wings last night. The Pens can't score without Crosby or Malkin's involvement, but they for the most part have also had trouble scoring unless they physically outnumber the Wings; a tighter PK could really have been the difference between a 4-2 loss and a 2-1 win, one-sided officiating or not. All the more reason Draper and likely Datsyuk being back for game 4 will be HUGE for Detroit. Even if the two of them aren't lighting the lamp, they'll go a long way in helping to patch up that one glaring weakness.
1 2 3 4|1 2 3 4 5 6 7|1 2 3 4 5|1 2 3 4 5 6 7

#38 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:40 PM

I think the reason people were upset about it is not because it wasn't an intereference call but because there was lots of intereference on both sides all night then all of a sudden they decide to call one on Erriccson. Either call ALL the penalties or don't call any of them. But stay consistent.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#39 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (Booster313 @ June 3, 2009 - 08:40PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the reason people were upset about it is not because it wasn't an intereference call but because there was lots of intereference on both sides all night then all of a sudden they decide to call one on Erriccson. Either call ALL the penalties or don't call any of them. But stay consistent.

That's about it.

#40 IceMunkee

IceMunkee

Gangster-ish

• HoF Booster
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:47 PM

Ahhhhh... The Phantom Hossa Hook. Seriously you can watch the vid on 97.1's website.

Anyhow. There is absolutely nothing to blame but a 3 shot, flat lined third period.
www.thedscene.com
@Gay4Datsyuk
Check It Out!