game 4 lines?

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

I'm guessing...

LW-Franzen, C-Zetterberg, RW-Cleary

LW-Filppula, C-Datsyuk, RW-Hossa

LW-Hudler, C-Helm, RW-Holmstrom

LW-Maltby, C-Draper, RW-Samuelsson

*maybe sub Abdelkader in for Maltby if Draper can play?

LD-Lidstrom, RD-Rafalski

LD-Kronwall, RD-Stuart

LD-Ericsson, RD-Lebda

GK-Osgood

GK-Conklin

I think the 1st two lines there are all but sure things. Third and fourth lines could be mixed up a bit though.

call me crazy but id sit malts over abs.... i mean the kid has scored 2 huge goals for us and brings tons of energy.

abs-drapes-sammy

that seems pretty good to me. puck possession from faceoffs, good cyle, and a little offensive touch

I'm guessing...

LW-Franzen, C-Zetterberg, RW-Cleary

LW-Filppula, C-Datsyuk, RW-Hossa

LW-Hudler, C-Helm, RW-Holmstrom

LW-Maltby, C-Draper, RW-Samuelsson

*maybe sub Abdelkader in for Maltby if Draper can play?

LD-Lidstrom, RD-Rafalski

LD-Kronwall, RD-Stuart

LD-Ericsson, RD-Lebda

GK-Osgood

GK-Conklin

I think the 1st two lines there are all but sure things. Third and fourth lines could be mixed up a bit though.

I agree with everything except I think I would switch Sammy and Homer.

Guest blueadams

That's something I was debating myself...

I like the third line of Hudler-Helm-Homer, because we've got a great defensive player in Helm, a great puck control player in Hudler, and a great net presence in Homer.

I like the fourth line of Maltby/Abdelkader-Draper-Samuelsson, because we've got a great defensive player in Draper, a great puck control player in Samuelsson, and a decent net presence in Maltby/Abdelkader.

If you switch the two, then you don't really have a guy that can control the puck on the fourth line (its been Leino), and you don't really have a net presence on the third line.

Plus, it seems sort of drastic to drop Homer from the second line all the way to the fourth line.

Edited by blueadams

If Dats is indeed back, I hope Babs can concentrate more fully in rolling his lines... instead of wasting so much energy trying to match Z against Crosby.

Guest blueadams
If Dats is indeed back, I hope Babs can concentrate more fully in rolling his lines... instead of wasting so much energy trying to match Z against Crosby.

I would be comfortable with any of these four lines going up against Crosby, Malkin or Staal:

1) Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary

2) Filppula-Datsyuk-Hossa

3) Hudler-Helm-Holmstrom

4) Abdelkader-Draper-Samuelsson

Even though Helm's a great defensive player, I guess I'd be at least a little bit nervous to see Crosby, Hudler and Homer on the ice at the same time.

Guest blueadams

I've changed my mind since making the original post...I'd like to see these lines out there:

Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary

Filppula-Datsyuk-Hossa

Holmstrom-Helm-Samuelsson

Hudler-Draper-Abdelkader

two things:

#1) I like the idea of a great defensive player in helm centering a great net presence in Homer and a sniper in Samuelsson on the third line. Solid defensive line with the potential to score a goal or two.

#2) Hudler hasn't shown much on the third line since he and Flip got split up, and after seeing how well Leino did on the 4th line, why not?

I'd like to see this:

Datsyuk-Filppula-Leino

Hossa-Helm-Hudler

Samuelsson-Draper-Abdelkader

Probably won't happen, but I think taking Abs and Leino out would be a mistake. Holmstrom needs to sit.

Guest blueadams
I'd like to see this:

Datsyuk-Filppula-Leino

Hossa-Helm-Hudler

Samuelsson-Draper-Abdelkader

Probably won't happen, but I think taking Abs and Leino out would be a mistake. Holmstrom needs to sit.

I'm sorry, but thats just ridiculous. #1) Flip centering a Datsyuk line?! r u joking? #2) scratching homer for leino?! in case u havent noticed...homer's impact doesnt always show up on the scoreboard. #3) Hossa on the third line!? u MUST be drunk.

Thats what I see too. While Leino has done well and Homer hasn't you still keep Homer in cause he's still one of the best at screening the goalie. And Fil deserves to be on the 2nd line still the way he's played.

Franzen - Hank - Cleary (been too good to break up)

Dats - Fil - Hossa (start off with Fil at center until you make sure Dats is fully read to go.)

Hudler - Helm - Sammy

Homer - Draper - Malts or Abdelkader

Edited by StevieY9802

Call me crazy, call me insane, but I would put Dats on the 3ed line with helm in game 4, in an attempt to make our top 3 lines so deep that the Pens would have no way to get the matchups they want.

Just a thought.

EXACTLY!

Franzen - Zetterberg - Cleary = Best line in the league

Datsyuk - Filppula - Leino = Two talented centerman and a playmaking winger

Hossa - Helm - Hulder = Best 3rd line in the history of hockey.

Abdelkader - Draper - Samuelsson = Two grinders and a sniper.

WTF @ people centering a Dats line with Filppula.

I would run:

Mule-Zäta-Hudler

Filppula-Dats-Hossa

Cleary-Helm-Sammy

Maltby-Draper-Abdelkader

Great D on every line with some of our best scoring combos on each line (cept for line 4, but they're the LOLFORECHECK line).

How about three lines that feature defense, playmaking, and scoring and a fourth that is quick and gritty so that no matter what matchup the Pens get, it will be tough for their scoring lines to play against?

Datsyuk/Zetterberg/Holmstrom

Cleary/Hudler/Hossa

Franzen/Filppula/Samuelsson

Abdelkader/Draper/Helm

How about three lines that feature defense, playmaking, and scoring and a fourth that is quick and gritty so that no matter what matchup the Pens get, it will be tough for their scoring lines to play against?

Cleary/Hudler/Hossa

Abdelkader/Draper/Helm

I wouldn't be comfortable with our top two defensive forwards on the same line, especially because Crosby has been effectively neutralized to this point thus eliminating the need for added defense, and Malkin is currently on a tear thus requiring greater defense.

I'm content with:

Zetterberg Franzen Cleary

Hossa Datsyuk Filppulla

Hudler Samuelsson Holmstrom

Draper Maltby/Abdelkader Helm

WTF @ people centering a Dats line with Filppula.

Cracks me up that you think it matters. Have you not watched the Red Wings in a while? They've got 10 centermen! Any of them can shift over to the wing. It's funny when you're like "WTF? Filppula centering Datsyuk? No chance in hell. Here's how I'd do it: Filppula - Datsyuk - Hossa." Makes me laugh so hard. It's like arguing that a peanut butter and jelly sandwich really isn't a peanut butter and jelly sandwich because you put the peanut butter piece of bread on the bottom and the jelly piece on the top, making it a jelly and peanut butter sandwich. DHO, dare I speak?

Datsyuk

Zetterberg

Draper

Cleary

Filppula

Hudler

Franzen

Leino

Abdelkader

Kopecky

It's obvious to me, at least, that Zetterberg is doing a good job making sure that Crosby has both limited opportunity to finish on his chances and limited ability to use his linemates. Crosby is pretty competent defensively--the whole line is, actually--but our big bangers (Cleary and Franzen at the moment) seem to be doing well enough at just causing chaos and stuffing pucks into the net.

However, I'd employ a different strategy against Malkin's line. It's clear by his takeaway totals that a lot of his presence comes from stickwork and craftiness. However, his giveaway totals are some of the highest in the league, and he's only +3 in the playoffs despite having 18 ES points on the 2nd most winning team. He can be a bit of a floater, and often jumps the gun out of the zone as well.. and isn't the most physically present player.

Datsyuk, provided he's 90% or better, is by far the best center to match up against Malkin. Datsyuk can not only neutralize Malkin's stick ability, but also, in my opinion, outmatch him physically, despite the height difference (consider that Datsyuk is the same weight as Malkin with 4 less inches in height). Furthermore, Datsyuk is our leader in FO%, and that's one of Malkin's weaknesses. Datsyuk plays the body (when he doesn't have the puck magnetized to his stick) and blocks shots, Malkin.. doesn't so much. Not only that, but Datsyuk is the most likely to player to make something out of Malkin's giveaways. Finally, Malkin isn't the best player at avoiding penalties.. Datsyuk is the exact opposite and rather good at drawing stick infractions as well. Datsyuk's strengths seem to directly correspond to Malkin's weaknesses in almost every way possible.

So then, what does the 2nd line do? If Datsyuk is an effective counter to Malkin, the most logical thing to do would simply be to outgun his defensively questionable line. This makes Hossa an obvious choice, not only because of his big offensive talent, but because he's a strong backchecker that can make Malkin further pay for mistakes. On the other wing, I'd put Hudler.. Hudler and Hossa seem to have very solid chemistry, Hudler has a surprising willingness to go to the net, and a good pass-shoot selection. Furthermore, this gets Hudler away from the Gill pairing. If he has the ability to drive to the net against Malkin's physically unspectacular line, he might well make something of it.

Third line, Sammy, Flip, and Homer. One of Sammy's logo shots just might go in if it hits Homer first. Flip is very valuable as a centerman, and produced on the 3rd line previous series. Homer's presence draws Clutch-and-Grab Gill away from our top 2 lines, and Flip has wheels enough to potentially just breeze past him on a bad turnover.. as does Sammy, who gets a surprising number of breakaways.

Helm - Draper - Maltby on the 4th line. Helm provides needed energy to the line with the two vets, which is why I didn't stick him on the 3rd and Sammy or Homer on the 4th.

Franzen - Z - Cleary

Happy - Dats - Hossa

Homer - Flip - Sammy

Helm - Draper - Maltby

Guest lilja4mvp

Cleary/Hudler/Hossa

Abdelkader/Draper/Helm

yeah, babcock will let hudler center the 2nd line

m95axg.gif