• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
notapensfaninpgh

Whats up Detroit... Not a Pens or Wings fan

Rate this topic

Well first I am from Southern Ontario and played Junior A until I was 19, so Im not a hockey retard or anything... I relocated to Pittsburgh a 10 years back (job).

Now that the Pens are decent the bandwagon here has filled up... I dont mind new hockey fans but so many of them are complete hockey retards since they have only been fans the past few years.. When my team would be playing the Pens in Pgh years ago I had to sit thru hours of Steeler talk with the 8K fans that would show up to the games. Now everyone here is a hockey expert... Here are some of my Pet Peeves hockey wise

- Everyone here says Pittsburgh in the best market in the USA for hockey.... Umm Detroit? Minny? Buffalo? The north eastern USA??

- Everyone here thinks Gretzky was not a good player.. Since he played before 1991 (thats when the Pens could sell more than 9K tickets per game) he shouldnt be counted.

- Everyone here thinks Ovie is not a good player because all he does is "score goals"

- Everyone here thinks U guys getting Pavel D back is actually a plus for the Pens since he has been garbage all playoffs

- Everyone here thinks they know everything about hockey because they play NHL 2008

- Plus there are our local sports talk idiots... For football they are good.. For hockey they are a disaster. The 1 guy Mike Logan is a mumbling ex steeler, that didnt know what icing was 1 year ago (its true)... The other guys on the AM dial that want to talk Steelers and Pirates 24/7... Then our resident fat boy Mark Madden. He is really 5 foot 9 close to 400 lbs... He has been that way all of his life and now is working on his 3rd heart attack. He claims to be a hockey guru not because he has ever played hockey but coaches a local deck hockey team for kids??? Yeah that makes u an expert. Anyways he has been droning on about how Detroit has been cheating and when Crosby doesnt score it just hurts the NHL and now that the Pens won their first game there is no way Detroit will win again.

Now that the Pens won a game all I keep hearing is "Letang will be better than Lidstrom" "Talbot is better than Hossa" "Zetterburg is overrated" "Osgood isa choker" "Fleury is of course beter than Patrick Roy"...

Plus did u ever go to a game in Pgh?? I remember 1 time I go and my team wins... Well druing the game Im pretty suprised about how many of the fans are under 22 and female... Then I see the signs "Sid shoot it in my 5 hole" "Marry me Jordan" "I love you Talbot" "Lisa heart sign Marc Andre" "Jordan I love you!!"..... I almost thought I was at a Back Street Boys concert... So anyways Im leavin after my team wins and this group of 15 years olds scream "Who cares about the score... Our players are hotter!!"

Just win these next 2 games so everyone here can go back to saying "Pittsburgh still has a hockey team???"

haha, thanks for the laugh. Oh, Pitt. What a town. Have they watched Dats? He's been anything but garbage. It may be a surprise to them, but there are other ways a player can perform other than scoring goals...but hey, perhaps they didn't get the memo. Thanks for posting :)

I think alot of us say the same thing about Crosby that Pit people say about Ovechkin...he only plays offense. lol See the zetterberg goal from game 3. Left him wide open for 5 seconds, staring at him. Didn't try to defend. Crosby is not a complete player yet.

If they want to push a player from Pit, they should be pushing Malkin.

Guest Four
How about this one... Last year I was sitting next to two pens fans at game 2. Every single time there was an icing he thought there was a delayed penalty.

:scared::lol:

i personally love the 'you cant even sell out your own rink detroit...' when they were selling an average of 11k tickets a game only 4 seasons ago

and also quotes like these from pens fans

...which will match him up with Malkin, who is making everyone look like an AHL All Star,

i didnt realize getting credited with a goal because u were nearest the puck when it was batted in by the opposing team and getting a few assists meant you were dominating the game?

Pens real advantage: Scoring Defense.

yes your defensemen are obviously great because they have 1 goal so far in the finals, 3 detroit defensemen who were top 11 in scoring during the regular season probably have no ability to put a puck in the net

Well first I am from Southern Ontario and played Junior A until I was 19, so Im not a hockey retard or anything... I relocated to Pittsburgh a 10 years back (job).

Now that the Pens are decent the bandwagon here has filled up... I dont mind new hockey fans but so many of them are complete hockey retards since they have only been fans the past few years.. When my team would be playing the Pens in Pgh years ago I had to sit thru hours of Steeler talk with the 8K fans that would show up to the games. Now everyone here is a hockey expert... Here are some of my Pet Peeves hockey wise

- Everyone here says Pittsburgh in the best market in the USA for hockey.... Umm Detroit? Minny? Buffalo? The north eastern USA??

- Everyone here thinks Gretzky was not a good player.. Since he played before 1991 (thats when the Pens could sell more than 9K tickets per game) he shouldnt be counted.

- Everyone here thinks Ovie is not a good player because all he does is "score goals"

- Everyone here thinks U guys getting Pavel D back is actually a plus for the Pens since he has been garbage all playoffs

- Everyone here thinks they know everything about hockey because they play NHL 2008

- Plus there are our local sports talk idiots... For football they are good.. For hockey they are a disaster. The 1 guy Mike Logan is a mumbling ex steeler, that didnt know what icing was 1 year ago (its true)... The other guys on the AM dial that want to talk Steelers and Pirates 24/7... Then our resident fat boy Mark Madden. He is really 5 foot 9 close to 400 lbs... He has been that way all of his life and now is working on his 3rd heart attack. He claims to be a hockey guru not because he has ever played hockey but coaches a local deck hockey team for kids??? Yeah that makes u an expert. Anyways he has been droning on about how Detroit has been cheating and when Crosby doesnt score it just hurts the NHL and now that the Pens won their first game there is no way Detroit will win again.

Now that the Pens won a game all I keep hearing is "Letang will be better than Lidstrom" "Talbot is better than Hossa" "Zetterburg is overrated" "Osgood isa choker" "Fleury is of course beter than Patrick Roy"...

Plus did u ever go to a game in Pgh?? I remember 1 time I go and my team wins... Well druing the game Im pretty suprised about how many of the fans are under 22 and female... Then I see the signs "Sid shoot it in my 5 hole" "Marry me Jordan" "I love you Talbot" "Lisa heart sign Marc Andre" "Jordan I love you!!"..... I almost thought I was at a Back Street Boys concert... So anyways Im leavin after my team wins and this group of 15 years olds scream "Who cares about the score... Our players are hotter!!"

Just win these next 2 games so everyone here can go back to saying "Pittsburgh still has a hockey team???"

Man you could not be more right. I also live in Pittsburgh and LOVE the Wings. Everyone likes to say that. It also pisses me off that they say "we're the real hockeytown". Yeah right jackass. Pittsburgh sucks. 3 good years doesnt make you a hockeytown. Listening to the sports talk shows in this city makes me sick. Like 'notapensfaninpgh' said, they dont give any credit to anyone else and think that their s*** doesnt stink. Biased like you wouldnt believe. I hope the Wings end this in 5 so I dont get annoyed with these dumbasses any longer. LETS GO RED WINGS!!!!!!

This is 1000% accurate! lol See what you're missing out on Detroit? A month from now, no one in Pittsburgh will even remember the outcome of this series. I keep hearing how Pittsburgh is the "REAL" Hockeytown. Most of the people in this city don't even watch hockey until February. I heard one yinzer yell, "Where's Hossa?!" back in Feb.

I usually listen to Mark Madden, but I can't listen to him now. "Its time for Detroit to pass the torch and if they don't, then the young Penguins will rip it out of their veiny hands!" Last year, he acted like he was Moses delivering the 10 commandments proclaiming, "PENS IN SIX, PENS IN SIX! It has been predicted, so shall it be done!" Too bad he got fired before the end of the series.

haha, thanks for the laugh. Oh, Pitt. What a town. Have they watched Dats? He's been anything but garbage. It may be a surprise to them, but there are other ways a player can perform other than scoring goals...but hey, perhaps they didn't get the memo. Thanks for posting :)

Guys c'mon it's Pitt. Of course they are going to hate on Dats. There is no room in their game for a complete forward. Only forwards who score goals and suck on defense.

Although I can't stand the HUGE bandwagon mentaility of the hosers in Pitt-town, you gotta remember that their fanbase is still pretty young. Sure, 30+ years of having a hockey franschise should have given that town SOME development of hockey knowledge, but it's not a priority for them (until they win, of course).

We've got it pretty well here in Detroit when it comes to sports lineage. We have 3 of the oldest franchises in their respective sports (Lions, Tigers, Red Wings), and it's easy to find people in their 70s who can recall games past and can tell you everything there is to know about the sport.

Pittsburgh, however.... well, they think that Mario Lemieux invented the sport, so they're a bit pathetic. Besides, they have one of the most storied teams in the NFL with the Steelers. People in P-burgh are weened on Steelers football, whereas hockey is just an afterthought. I'm not supporting their ignorance: I'm merely explaining the reason for it, in my opinion.

Either way, it's still sad. Every flippin' time they pan to a shot outside of Mellon Arena to show those n00bs celebrating, I always laugh, because I bet any money that half of those people still don't know what a two-line pass is, because it was nixed before they even watched a puck drop. The Wings need to win, not just for us LOYAL fans in Detroit, but also so I don't have to hear a bunch of crap about how Pittsburgh is the real "Hockeytahn" (idiots).

i was at hooters for game 2 wearing my wings jersey and hat when one guy on his way out stopped and said the wings were gonna get swept...this is after game one mind you...cuz they are playing crosby... and then some other dude said the pens were gonna win and he swore to me that they won last year too... most of the pitts people ive met are clueless and are hoppin on the bandwagon

i was at hooters for game 2 wearing my wings jersey and hat when one guy on his way out stopped and said the wings were gonna get swept...this is after game one mind you...cuz they are playing crosby... and then some other dude said the pens were gonna win and he swore to me that they won last year too... most of the pitts people ive met are clueless and are hoppin on the bandwagon

There are fans in Pittsburgh that know the game of hockey, but they're getting washed out by the idiot fans that are screaming "SHOOT!!" for three straight hours.

Edited by xtrememachine1

Guest Shoreline

The OP is so exaggerated I can't believe some people are attacking this like it's popular opinion.

that does sound about right. Now obvious there is the exception and there are decent and real pitt fans (yadda yadda) but all and all pittsburgh probably has one of the overall DUMBEST fanbases out there. Chicago has to be pretty close. This is what happens with pits fans since they only started watching hockey last . And LOL about datsyuk. They will be less than excited about him being back soon enough