• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NEpats1028

Nobody to Blame But Ourselves

Rate this topic

Hank just looks tired. Plus Babs may have shaken up the lines a little too much, I dont like Huds on the 1st over Cleary when he's been doing so well with Sammy and Val (although those 2 and Helm will be good also).

They just didnt do what they normally do, weren't patient and tried to force the openings. Whack Lilja back in there, in my opinion a very smart player just holding the puck behind his own net until its right to move out.

Thats the way the wings play... pass, pass, pass, pass until somethings on. Didn't do that yesterday but took the quick shots.

It's a game like that which makes you think the Wings couldn't possibly win another game -- but we've seen them before and they do bounce back. Ultimately, the Grand Rapids Griffins are probably not good enough to beat the Penguins - having Datsyuk back will be huge.

As much as i'd love to blame this one on the officiating of the NHL, we simply have to look in the mirror and admit the facts: Pittsburgh won this game by outplaying us and winning the small battles. Say what you want about the Sidney Crosby suckfest going on in Bettman's office, but the Wings just didn't have it tonight. Ozzie was amazing tonight, and the offense just wasn't there, and hasn't been there since Pavel went down.

So besides the obvious (PK, injuries), what can the Wings do to keep up with the Penguins when we go back there for Game 6? They are a whole different team at the Mellon. And lets hope we can find our stuff on Saturday! GO WINGS!

Well, after reading the first few posts in this thread, I thought I would add my own constructive comments.

So far this series has lived up to its billing. Two wins for each team. The Pens played desperate in games 3 and 4. Game 5 will be the series now, and if there is anything I have learned about this team, its that they will play when their backs are against the wall. I think game 5 will be the most competitive game of the series.

The Wings need to play better defensively. Their special teams also need to catch fire.

Thats about all I can say. Go Wings!

Hossa sucks. He scored only in 3 games out of 20. I hope he's gone asap.

Lidstrom is obviously injured and he can hardly skate. Osgood is letting in soft goals. Defense as a whole sucks = way too many turnovers. The only guys that give their all are Zetterberg and Helm.

IMO -

Good effort by the Pens last night. They earned that victory. Good forecheck, clogged the passing lanes nicely, literally dove for loose pucks in the neutral zone. They wanted that "V", and they got it.

That said...

I'm still confident. The Wings looked tired, uninspired, and otherwise not sharp last night. Lollygagging the puck around, not hitting, not playing with any pop, leaving Ozzie hanging probably won't lead to many victories. It didn't last night.

So....

Take a day off. Get some rest. Would love to read about Lids pulling the team together and getting the bonfire lit under just aboot everyone's arses. Forget those two games.

I really think that at this point, this is a "mental" and emotional series. Neither team has much left in their tanks. At times both sides looked exhausted. Who's going to dig deep and find the will?

I think our boys are going to get it done.

GO WINGS!!!

way too many turnovers at the offensive blue line. i dont know what it was exactly that caused our D to pinch the way they did and not come up with the puck or body. you commit like that you need to get something, it allowed for way too many breakaways. also the power play needs to set up more and then fire shots, i feel like the wings are firing shots before everyone is in the zone and ready to work the PP

This plus Malkin. We really need Datsyuk back to play on against him...

The bottom line is in both games 3 and 4, the boys had a 2-1 lead in second period. We had silenced the Pittsburgh crowd very effectively. This is where we normally take over a game and grind the other team into the ice. Last night we 4 minutes of PP time to do just that. We could have made it a 4-1 lead!!

The bottom line is that this is not the same Red Wings team. We're back on our heals, and something is really, really wrong, whether it be exhaustion or mental, we don't look good.

Pittsburgh is forcing a lot of the turnovers - it comes own to execution and willpower and right now they have the advantage.

My contructive criticism is that I wonder sometimes if chasing matchups, especially on the road, can hurt the psyche of the "other" players who aren't matching up? Helm, Flip, Lebs, or E are on the ice and Crosby comes on, and instead of just playing they are thinking, "oh crap, Crosby is out here. I've gotta make a change because coach doesn't think I can handle playing against him." While it is not the ideal situation to have the Z line not be out there, but what does that do to the flow of the team?

Also, no Dats is HUGE!

This is still the Wings series until they lose at home. Keep in mind Detroit is 10-1 in the postseason at home. They get the matchups they want and it they feed off the home crowd. Game 5 is crucial, but I just know the Wings are going to play their asses off in front of the Detroit faithful.

Constructive. We were outplayed yes, but I think we are being out coached too. We saw signs of this defensive collapse all through the series. Lines are not producing. Babcock needs to be a little more hands on. I think when he makes changes the results are always there. I don't understand why he is so hesitant to do so, but game 4 was a huge wake up call. I think we will see changes. I'm confident that if we do make changes they will pay off. I'm less confident he will make them or make them in time.

Too many turn over’s, too many give a ways, not enough puck support and not being “hard on the puck.†That is what I noticed the last 2 games. We need to play the same way as what got us here. The Pens played up to their potential and took advantage of the chances we gave them.

Offensively we have to get back to basics and stop trying to get so pretty. I’ve seen too many extra passes and not enough shoot and follow the puck. MAF gives up some juicy rebounds we need to pounce on.

We're giving up odd-man rushes and playing out of position hockey. Babcock should give the boys today off on the ice and make them watch game tape to go over what they aren't doing right that they did so well the first 2 games. Outside of the odd-man rushes we are playing well, except on the PK

Hossa sucks. He scored only in 3 games out of 20. I hope he's gone asap.

Lidstrom is obviously injured and he can hardly skate. Osgood is letting in soft goals. Defense as a whole sucks = way too many turnovers. The only guys that give their all are Zetterberg and Helm.

If that's your constructive feedback, what must your negative feedback be like?

I do not want to know. <_<

If that's your constructive feedback, what must your negative feedback be like?

I do not want to know. <_<

Haha.

Something maybe like, "Life is just a series of disappointments ending in one really big one."

All they need is a spark, one little thing to get them in the proper mindset. With the right motivator all that tired bs goes right out the window.

Pens were dead last night, series was over until they got the SH goal. All the sudden they were flying.

I can't believe how some of you just give up the first time we face a little adversity, no team is going to walk its way to back to back Stanley Cups. The difference between a good team and great team is what they do now when s*** has somewhat hit the fan, they will have the fire, they will bring it all and we will win game 5.

I like this thread......85% good stuff, 15% idiocy......not a bad ratio for the day after that debacle.

I'm still not concerned too much. We lose game 5, then I'll be concerned. Until then, it's a best of 3 series with both teams starting from scratch.

I'm suprisingly calm toady, and I was last night as well.....though I was disgusted by some of our play =/

I like this thread......85% good stuff, 15% idiocy......not a bad ratio for the day after that debacle.

I'm still not concerned too much. We lose game 5, then I'll be concerned. Until then, it's a best of 3 series with both teams starting from scratch.

I'm suprisingly calm toady, and I was last night as well.....though I was disgusted by some of our play =/

A majority of the posts on this forum are 85% idiocy and 15% good stuff on a regular basis, so I am impressed as well at the content of this thread. Maybe I severely underestimated the true Red Wings fans on this forum.

That being said, I was not concerned either. It was a must win for the Pens and they got the job done again. When it has been a must win for the Wings, they got the job done this postseason. I have every confidence they will get it done on Saturday. Their 10-1 home post season record speaks for itself. At home they get the matchups they want and it shows in their record.

They are professionals. They know what they need to do. They have the skill to execute it. Its just time to do that.

Go Wings!

Edited by Nightfall

Getting a healthy Pavel is the one thing that can help because the Wings aren't going to get a weeks vacation for everyone to catch their breath, which is what the boys need most. The physical and mental fatigue is palpable just watching them play. Full marks to Pittsburgh taking advantage.

We watched the same game. If you look at what I wrote you'll notice I said they didn't play well. In fact they pretty much sucked.

My argument is with you and when you choose to show up here. Not the game.

I show when I choose and that was the right moment for me to say something to relive my frustration so don't be a smart .. you know better, I totally respect your opinion regarding the game, so with that said I'm entitled to have mine.

I think Pav is coming back but he will be a no factor if the team will not show up. Regarding defense you need to start with Nick he sucked badly last night, Kron, Brad, Big E did not show for the game, what a waist of time and money

A majority of the posts on this forum are 85% idiocy and 15% good stuff on a regular basis, so I am impressed as well at the content of this thread. Maybe I severely underestimated the true Red Wings fans on this forum.

That being said, I was not concerned either. It was a must win for the Pens and they got the job done again. When it has been a must win for the Wings, they got the job done this postseason. I have every confidence they will get it done on Saturday. Their 10-1 home post season record speaks for itself. At home they get the matchups they want and it shows in their record.

They are professionals. They know what they need to do. They have the skill to execute it. Its just time to do that.

Go Wings!

You are right they know what to do and I'm sure they will win the next one then will lose the one in s***sburg then back to Detroit, but my question is why they are not doing their job when they need to do it if they are real professionals.

Great forum topic and it is so true. I think we can blame the officiating for being less than average. They have missed calls both ways but if you look at game 4, Detroit lost it themselves. They are tired and Pitt just wanted it more than we did. The wings have to bounce back and get ready for a steaming Penguin team. The people at the Joe need to be drunk, loud, and rowdy!!! We need a game 5 win really bad and we are going to get it.

LETS GO WINGS!!!!