• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Husker BigGuy

No Pavel, No Cup

Rate this topic

agreed, Hank looks too tired and Drapes is too ineffective handling the puck. Yeah he still looks quick, physical and as ever good in the faceoff, but i think i saw him with about 3 or 4 giveaways last night. Just bump all the centres down one and get Pav back in. Plus dont play Huds on 1st over Cleary, just my two cents.

Datsyuk should watch tapes of Yzerman inspiring the team in 2002, playing on one leg.

Show up Saturday, or spend the summer wishing you had.

I posted this in another thread the other day but still think it is relevant:

That's not really a fair comparison. I see what you are saying and have always been amazed by Stevie's heart and will (and have never been as impressed or amazed with anyone as I was with Yzerman that year), however his role and what he had to offer the team in 02 is very different from what Dats can provide the team now. Dats main assets are his ability to stop, turn, weave in and out of traffic, and basically do his dangle dangle. If he cannot do those things he is not really the asset that the Wings need and my even be a liability thus his playing might actually hurt the team rather than help them which is something that he, like Yzerman, would not want to do.

That's not really a fair comparison. I see what you are saying and have always been amazed by Stevie's heart and will (and have never been as impressed or amazed with anyone as I was with Yzerman that year), however his role and what he had to offer the team in 02 is very different from what Dats can provide the team now. Dats main assets are his ability to stop, turn, weave in and out of traffic, and basically do his dangle dangle. If he cannot do those things he is not really the asset that the Wings need and my even be a liability thus his playing might actually hurt the team rather than help them which is something that he, like Yzerman, would not want to do.

Exactly! :clap:

I don't get why Datsyuk didn't play last nigth. It appears he can put a skate on his foot. Nothing against Leino, but I would rather have 8 minutes out of Dats than Leino, and the depth to play him on special teams.

In addition to my previous post:

I think that it is largely a difference in rolls. In 02 Stevie was in the waning period of his career. He was still putting up numbers but he was really there because he was the heart and soul of the team. He presence was his most important asset to the team and his ability to play through the pain and the heart that he showed in doing it was what made him so valuable that playoff year. Dats is not in the same position. He is needed to play both ends of the ice, to ferociously back check, to "dangle dangle" and turn guys inside out. That is how he plays his game and it is where his value to the team lies. Dats might could come back and play the role that Stevie did in 02 but because he doesn't have they years, prestige, reverence, or severe injury that Yzerman did I am not sure it would have anywhere near the same effect.

Also, if they have been honest that he really is day to day and a game time decision before every game because he is continuing to improve and become more healthy he is in a very different situation than Yzerman was. Without a very major surgery (one usually reserved for 60 year only people not professional athletes) there was no way that Yzerman was going to get better. IF they could have rested him for a week or two and he could have been totally healthy (or remotely close to it) I'm pretty certain that they would have gone that route, however that was not the case his injury was what it was and rest/therapy was not going to fix it. Yzerman was going to play at 40-60% health no matter what, so either you play him and get him at 40-60% (which I would take over almost any player at 100% health) and get the benefit that he provides (including the amazing inspiration, dedication, and heart that he showed) or you don't play him and you get nothing.

That is not the same option that they have with Pav, they say there is no broken bone. Every day, before every game, and after every practice the team and Dats himself says he is getting better, getting healthier, and improving what he is capable of doing. The injury that Pavs has can be reagitated, its healing slowed, and with rest/therapy his health will continue to improve. Perhaps they know that they can sit him out, trust the team to keep them in the series and Dats can come back for the last 3 games of the series pretty close to 100% health. The difference in the two is that Yzerman's injury was so bad that it couldn't be fixed with rest/therapy nor (according to Yzerman) would it really be made worse by playing (unless there was a collision or other incident that would further injure it but playing itself would not make it worse) however Dats can/has continued to get better and playing could possibly inhibit healing.

Basically (and this is just a guess obviously), they may have decided that having Dats 100% (or close to it) for the final three games was a better option than having him at 70% (and possibly declining as the series went on) for the final five games.

I know that if Pasha were told he could go out there and play, you'd see him out there busting his ass. Something must be seriously wrong for him not to be out there.

Bottom line is this. If we're depending on ONE player for us to win, we're NOT GOING TO WIN IT! Hockey is the ultimate TEAM sport, and right now, we suck at playing as a cohesive unit.

Edited by grindlinelove

On this team Dats is important, but one player on this team does not make or brake the series unlike the Pens who I do not think could win even 1 game w/o either 87 or 71. They won 2 w/o him and closed out the Hawks w/o him.

We have a couple no-shows that need to show up, Hossa and Franzen - these are our 2 big name goal scorers w/o Dats and they are not getting it done. The Wings passing is pathetic and it seams more often than not they are passing it right to the pens, how many shots this series have been hastily shot directly into a Pens D-Man? I cannot believe how many shots were absolutely lame shots that were easy to block or shot directly into a D-man right in front of the shooter.

Hudler has been invisible, Leino has been nothing more than a clock killer while he skates all over before loosing the puck which Hossa is parroting. Homer has not been camping in front of the net, although yesterday he started to which I take as a positive.

All players need to get back to fundementals and start passing the puck cleanly. If I could only give 1 line of advise it would be Shoot the puck already...

On a side note, Z has been the best player for either team and will win the MVP if the Wings Win. He should even if they don't but one of the golden boys probably will.

We can win w/o Dats... would be easier with but these guys just need to play the game they are capable of and we win.

I know this is a team game, but the problem here is that with our point leader out of the lineup, everyone is forced into different roles. Zetterberg is being overused, Hossa has no help on his line and Filpula is being asked to do way too much.

There's no doubt Pavel can be at least effective out there. I agree, if he doesnt play, we do not win this series.

After hearing so many stories about players playing hurt in playoffs in a variety of sports, I have to admit, Im a little disappointed in Pavel Datsyuk.

Can I ask a dumb question. Is it not obvious that when he returns people will be taking swipes at his foot? When we take pains to not disclose injuries to Lids and others, why why why spell it out for Datsyuk? Sure they can see him limping on the news, but a limp can be anything from a toe to a hip. I just don't get it.

I think we will see him Saturday. I can't wait. Time for a hero and I can't think of a better one.

However, if Babs puts him out there with Homer, I will be very frustrated.

Dats can control the puck for long periods of time, can carry it into the zone effectively, creates scoring chances out of nothing, can dangle one-on-one like no other and creates a lot of turnovers by stripping people of the puck from behind. We need him. We can win without Hossa but I'm not so sure without Dats.

esteef

This is exactly what I said before the series started! We need Pavel to win this series. These teams are closely matched as it is, Pavel is the difference maker. His defensive play, offensive play, and his skills on the powerplay are greatly missed.

everybody is talking about Datsyuk, were in the hell is hossa and homer.

it would be great to get pavs back, but hossa and homer need to step up.

Hossa was pretty great on both sides of the rink in games 1, 2, and 3. He disappeared last night.

IMO, the series will swing again in the Joe.

Getting back home, seeing your fans supporting you, not having to deal with Pittsburgh fans, skating on home ice, etc will all fire the team up.

It was pretty easy for the team to forget what they were fighting for when 99.9% of the Igloo was in white and cheering on the Pens. When they see their home crowd, they'll get their fire back and remember what they're fighting for.

That and the banners (seeing the banners, the history of the franchise, etc) should be enough to get them going again.

Add in the energy that Dats will bring back, and we should be able to turn it around in game 5.

This is by no means over.

Bottom line is this. If we're depending on ONE player for us to win, we're NOT GOING TO WIN IT! Hockey is the ultimate TEAM sport, and right now, we suck at playing as a cohesive unit.

You don't get it. We're not saying "Here Pavel, take the puck and score 7 goals." Getting Pavel back gives this team so much more depth, right now almost every forward is taking on challenges that they have not seen all year. Everyone's role is reduced when Pavel gets back, meaning everyone has fresher legs.

The bottom line is actually a bit more complicated than that.

Putting Datsyuk on a line with Filppula and Hossa presents one of the most dangerous lines in hockey.

Yeah, you lose Homer's screening in front, but is there any doubt that the puck cycling would be that much better?

Not only that, but the Pens will have to work ridiculously hard against that line, instead of what they do now. Right now, they just stack someone on Homer and all he does is screen Fleury.

With Dats out there, you need a competent defender on Filppula, Hossa, AND Dats. All three are pretty big threats with the puck.

Not only that, but the Pens don't have many two-way forwards. With last change, you can match Zäta against Crosby and Dats against Malkin. Malkin's line isn't the strongest defensively, which will allow Hossa and Dats to put a lot of pucks on the net.

You'll also have one of the strongest defensive lines of all our forwards, with Dats and Filppula together.

So long story short, yes, one player of Pavel's depth can change the way the entire game will be played, especially with last change.