• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWings91

Wings Tired

Rate this topic

Here is why I'm worried. I don't think last night was a result of a lack of effort. This is the Cup Finals. The Wings have more finals experience than anybody. They know what it takes to win the cup. But last nights effort was a result of fatigue mentally and physically. They had 2 days rest upon the close of the Hawks series and had to play back to back.

What I'm worried about is there is no adjustment a coach or a team can make for fatigue. They need a couple of extra days rest which they're not going to get. Last night's turnovers were a result of fatigue. When you're tired. You try to force the home run pass to get through the neutral zone as quickly as possible. Look at Hank last night. He could barely skate. But I certainly wouldn't say he wasn't trying to.

So if i were babcock maybe i'd make the next two practices optional. I'm seriously worried because if they're tired and can't muster up the energy. This series is over.

they looked tired in the 2nd, but had their legs back in the 3rd.

you can't contain crosby/malkin forever, they're gonna get breakaways. they're the penguins. we've done a great job minimizing them over the course of four games.

i'll be worried if game 5 slips away

I agree that they are pretty tired. I also have a feeling that once playoffs are over we'll be reading how this guy had this injury that guy had that injury.

I am hopeful for game 5 however. Pens did play with the jump last night, but now the pressure is equally on them as its on Wings, and I hope that they won't be able to maintain that intensity for the rest of the series.

Alexey

Edited by Alexey913

I agree that they are pretty tired. I also have a feeling that once playoffs are over we'll be reading how this guy had this injury that guy had that injury.

I am hopeful for game 5 however. Pens did play with the jump last night, but now the pressure is equally on them as its on Wings, and I hope that they won't be able to maintain that intensity for the rest of the series.

Alexey

The pens can absolutely maintain that intensity beacuse they're hungry for the cup since they lost it last year.

If you notice, the Pens get their momentum and energy from the wings breaking down on plays, and from scoring their goals. When the wings went up 2-1 in that game, the Pens looked lost and worried. The wings started to play like a machine again until the defense turned it over on the power play and gave up the SH goal.

Here is why I'm worried. I don't think last night was a result of a lack of effort. This is the Cup Finals. The Wings have more finals experience than anybody. They know what it takes to win the cup. But last nights effort was a result of fatigue mentally and physically. They had 2 days rest upon the close of the Hawks series and had to play back to back.

What I'm worried about is there is no adjustment a coach or a team can make for fatigue. They need a couple of extra days rest which they're not going to get. Last night's turnovers were a result of fatigue. When you're tired. You try to force the home run pass to get through the neutral zone as quickly as possible. Look at Hank last night. He could barely skate. But I certainly wouldn't say he wasn't trying to.

So if i were babcock maybe i'd make the next two practices optional. I'm seriously worried because if they're tired and can't muster up the energy. This series is over.

I agree, fatigue is our biggest enemy. Also the Pens are playing phenominal hockey right now. I think they are playing on the Wings level, but the Wings are not. I thought the same thing last night, boy they look tired. Z cannot maintain his efforts without help much longer. Ozzy played very well. I like your post because it brings out a real issue. I am so tired of hearing it is the Ref's fault, Malkin is cheap, Corsby is a diver, blah blah blah. The Pens are playing great hockey. The Wings absolutely can bet Pit but the have to somehow get rejuvinated and step it up.

My concern is special teams.

The Pens have five even strength goals over four games, right now, and a couple of those came in the "s***ty second".

Forget the horrible powerplay; If we had a stronger PK alone, this series would already be over.

Guest Sid the Kid

BINGO! ..... This is a person who get's it. The Red Wings are old and tired. They're playing against a skilled youthful team who is just now ready to get it on.

Hey guys, breaking news!!! Rumor has it that Wings are old and tired, that's why they didn't sweep the Pens. Guess we'll just have to settle for taking it in 6, dammit! :mad:

BINGO! ..... This is a person who get's it. The Red Wings are old and tired. They're playing against a skilled youthful team who is just now ready to get it on.

I wouldn't say they're old. The Wings' average age is about 31 years old, which is right around the peak age in terms of skill (good balance of youthful energy + veteran experience). You also need to keep in mind a 47 yr old Chelios runs that number up a bit, and he's not even playing. I will agree that they are tired as they've had to go without Rafalski, Draper, Lilja, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, and Kopecky for long stints throughout the postseason as well as a shortened break after taking on an energetic Chicago team, however, I disagree that its the reason the Wings lost the past two games. Again, if the Wings fix up their special teams woes (which I'm optimistic Datsyuk's return can inspire) the Pens lose their one advantage over us, and their primary source of offense.

Edited by Echolalia

Isn't the wings average age 29? Not exactly pushing walkers there...

Wings just had a much rougher physical grind to get where they are then the Pens. Wing's will work it out.

I am sick of all these threads saying that the wings are tired. That obviously is a huge contributor to their play, however I'd like to say its more of special teams. They very well dominated the first two periods last night, out shooting the Penguins by quite a bit. But our penalty kill is awful, and were deffinetly not making up for anything on the power play. Turovers were costing us as well, Ralfalski, inparticular is VERY GUILTY for this, his mistake on the powerplay giving Jordan Staal that goal totally shifted momentum for the Pens.

just my two cents.

I am sick of all these threads saying that the wings are tired. That obviously is a huge contributor to their play, however I'd like to say its more of special teams. They very well dominated the first two periods last night, out shooting the Penguins by quite a bit. But our penalty kill is awful, and were deffinetly not making up for anything on the power play. Turovers were costing us as well, Ralfalski, inparticular is VERY GUILTY for this, his mistake on the powerplay giving Jordan Staal that goal totally shifted momentum for the Pens.

just my two cents.

I agree, the shorty killed us. Wings will regroup and come out strong just like they always do.

I agree, the shorty killed us. Wings will regroup and come out strong just like they always do.

Yes, if wings are good at anything, its deffinetly not letting a game or two get to them. They usually have a quick turn-around. We don't usually stay in a slump for too long. They should be rested, motivated, and ready to turn it up a notch on home ice. Having Pavel back (hopefully) will bring some extra added mometum boost for the team.

Edited by Hockey13Playa

Guest Sid the Kid

Should the Pens win tomorrow night against an old and tired Detroit team, it's "game over" .... Time to start thinking about rebuilding and going with a "youth" movement like the Pens did.

Should the Pens win tomorrow night against an old and tired Detroit team, it's "game over" .... Time to start thinking about rebuilding and going with a "youth" movement like the Pens did.

Uhh.... you don't "rebuild" after making it to the Stanley Cup finals. This is the exact same team that won it this year, and will be the exact same team for the most part next year.

Also, the only reason Pittsburgh even has that youth is because they sucked for most of last decade and this decade, and almost got moved to Kansas. Now, do you really see the Wings ever considering moving to Kansas?

gtfo.

Youth you say? Didn't our AHL team put us up 2-0 in the first place?

By going with a "youth movement like the Pens did" do you mean tank for 5 years and pick up as many high first round picks as they can?

You know what, you're right. I say we find our own douchebag that whines ALOT and make a team out of 2 guys that, if they were injured like Pavs, the team completely falls apart and nothing gets done. That is a great idea. Looking forward to talking to you after the playoffs. Until then, keep it classy.

Edited by Jaymz99

Pens got Malkin only because they sucked for a very long time and they got Crosby because the league wanted to save the franchise. Definitely nothing to be proud of.

If the schedule for the finals hadn't been the biggest f***up in sports history, the Wings wouldn't be this tired. Close a series in 5 games and get 2 days rest? WTF.

And I'd like to see where the Pens would be if Malkin was injured. There's a reason Datsyuk is nominated for MVP, and it isn't that he's not important to the team.

Its funny everyone keeps saying how young and talented the Pens are. Beyond the lottery pick players, what good young players do the Pens have? Who do they have in their farm club that's ready to jump in and make an impact? Here let me answer for you... they have nothing. We have guys on our AHL club that would be impact players on most NHL teams. You can't say the same for the Pens.

And I'd like to see where the Pens would be if Malkin was injured. There's a reason Datsyuk is nominated for MVP, and it isn't that he's not important to the team.

If Malkin was injured, the series would be over and everyone would be saying "Its a tainted Cup because if Malkin had played, it would have been the other way around."