• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheCapt19

Now I'm Not A NHL Coach, But...

Rate this topic

Regarding Babs decision to sit Abby, what was he thinking? I don't want to hear crap about Abbie not being comfortable in the center position. That is non-sense. Sit Maltby, problem solved. I love Malts, but it's the playoffs and there is only one purpose, to win the cup. Look at these numbers...

Pos GP G A P +/- PIM PP SH GW OT S S% TOI/G Sft/G FO%

Justin Abdelkader

L 10 2 1 3 2 0 0 0 0 0 11 18.2 6:58 11.0 43.6

Kirk Maltby

L 17 0 1 1 -1 2 0 0 0 0 10 0.0 9:11 15.2 0.0

Based on the numbers above, a monkey could figure out that you don't sit the player with fewer minutes, fewer games, a better +/- for another who has more minutes, more games, and a worse +/-. COME ON!

It wasn't that Abdelkader wasn't comfortable at center, it's that he wasn't as comfortable at wing, obviously.

Draper is going to center line 4, and Helm is going to center line 3. End of story now that Draper is healthy again.

Taking out a player that's used to playing winger to Draper for a guy that's not used to playing winger at all isn't smart.

Leino is used to being a wing. So is Maltby. If Abdelkader could play wing as well as Maltby, don't you think he'd be in?

something i just found out the other day was that Dan Bylsma was a checking 4th liner on the Anahiem team that Babcock coached to finals in 2003! now can you imagine this guy rookie coach, comes in mid season from 10th place to finals of Cup against Babcock who is coach of the year, 4x 50 win seasons, cup champion etc.. and beats him!!! what an embarassment to Babcock.

I'd see that as more of a great accomplishment by Bylsma than an embarrassment to Babcock.

Anyways...someone above noted it properly.....he would be playing out of his natural position. Plus, to me, he looked shaky away from the Joe....hell, ALL of our youngsters did. I would add Veteran steadying influence as a reason to that as well.

I'm not a coach either but what the f*** was Holmstrom thinking on the shortie by Staal?

He is at the far side blue line of the Penguins. Not one Wing is coming down the near side. He fires in a very hard slap shot that goes all the way around the boards. Some Guin gets it, feeds it Staal and out he goes and scores.

When you dump the puck in hard like that you better look first to make sure 2 Wings are coming on the other side to get it.

Raffy wasn't expecting such a clean break out on a stupid shoot around by Homer.

Homer has been completely useless and should see 4th line minutes only aside from the PP.

I have no idea why Abdelkader was taken out of the line up either... 2 goals in 3 games and he forechecks hard and creates opportunities, he's been one of our better forwards all series long, seems like a slap in the face a bit

While I agree it was wrong to take Abdelkader out of the lineup, I do not think he should be inserted into the lineup over Maltby. Eventhough the numbers speak for themselves, Maltby brings so much more to the game for the Wings than just numbers. He brings grit, agitation, leadership, and experience. He always seems to get into the other team's best players' heads. The game last night offers a perfect example. Before the start of the 2nd or 3rd period (can't remember which one) Malts went by Crosby and said something to him. I don't know what was said but I'm sure it wasn't anything friendly. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for in a veteran fourth liner!!

Datsyuk back next game, the lines i would like to see,

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Cleary

Hossa-Filpulla-Franzen

Hudler-Helm-Sammy

Leino-Draper-Abdelkader

something i just found out the other day was that Dan Bylsma was a checking 4th liner on the Anahiem team that Babcock coached to finals in 2003! now can you imagine this guy rookie coach, comes in mid season from 10th place to finals of Cup against Babcock who is coach of the year, 4x 50 win seasons, cup champion etc.. and beats him!!! what an embarassment to Babcock.

Dan Bylsma who is Pitt coach was a goalie. The one you speak of must be a different Dan Bylsma.

EDIT - I was wrong, this is the same guy. Sorry.

Edited by sibiriak

Based on the numbers above, a monkey could figure out that you don't sit the player with fewer minutes, fewer games, a better +/- for another who has more minutes, more games, and a worse +/-. COME ON!

Here is a stat for ya. Maltby 4 Cup Rings, Abby 0 Cup Rings.

It is about experience.

Regarding Babs decision to sit Abby, what was he thinking? I don't want to hear crap about Abbie not being comfortable in the center position. That is non-sense. Sit Maltby, problem solved. I love Malts, but it's the playoffs and there is only one purpose, to win the cup. Look at these numbers...

Pos GP G A P +/- PIM PP SH GW OT S S% TOI/G Sft/G FO%

Justin Abdelkader

L 10 2 1 3 2 0 0 0 0 0 11 18.2 6:58 11.0 43.6

Kirk Maltby

L 17 0 1 1 -1 2 0 0 0 0 10 0.0 9:11 15.2 0.0

Abdelkader had 2 extremely fluky goals (pure luck, same could have happened to Maltby). Without those two goals their numbers would be almost exactly the same.

Both guys bring energy, both play decent defense. But Maltby has this thing called experience, and i'm sure you would agree, experience is more important than a +/- stat. A difference of 3 in +/- is almost irrelevant.

Agreed.

Abby>Maltby.

This is a professional buisness, you do what is needed to make your say "buisness" the best. This is the time that needs to be done.

Maltby>Leino as a fourth line winger.

a few games is hardly a large enough sample size to compare what maltby brings vs abby.

hahaha, I agree... The power here is very low. Alternatively you could move the mean of H1 farther from the mean of H0, AND increase your alpha... but that still does tell about the significance of your results. Ultimately, I second increasing the sample size to at least 25-30 comparable games otherwise your p-value is going to mean very little.