• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mike

"He'll Play"

Rate this topic

Babcock seems to flip flop a bit but it sounds like Pav will play in Game #5.

Update from Friday's media availability: Well, we think Pavel Datsyuk is going to play Saturday in Game 5. At least that's what coach Mike Babcock said at the start of his press conference:

"He'll play,'' Babcock said, succinctly.

But later, he seemed to leave the door slightly cracked.

"We're planning that he's going to be in,'' Babcock said. "But he still has to be in.''

No practice Friday. They obviously needed the break, playing four games in six nights.

MLive

More backtracking from Babcock.

Great news for the Red Wings from Joe Louis Arena today: Coach Mike Babcock said Pavel Datsyuk will play Saturday, when the Wings host the Penguins in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup finals.

Babcock then backed up a bit and said that the Wings were planning on Datsyuk playing, leaving a slight possibility the star center might end up missing another game.

"Well, we’re planning he’s going to be in," Babock said, "but the second thing is, how he is going to play?"

Datsyuk hasn't played since Game 2 of the previous round against Chicago because of a sore foot.

To get him back would be huge, to say the least -- not just for his offensive skills but for his defense. Pittsburgh's Evgeni Malkin has killed the Wings in this series, and making him go against Datsyuk while Henrik Zetterberg takes on Sidney Crosby would be a tremendous asset.

Freep

Edited by Mike

We absolutely need him to shut down Malkin. I'm still not worried about Crosby and with those two effectively neutralized it'll look a lot like last year.

But moreso than shutting down Malkin, the Wings NEED to get their PP and PK in order. If they do practice between now and the game, it better be an all special teams practice.

do you guys really think that a guy not at 100% will play his first game in weeks and is going to shut down the best player in the world. Malkin will kill him like he is killing the rest of your old ass team so if this what you need to sleep at night sleep well because its over. LETS GO PENS

Series is over? Could have thought it was tied with Detroit having home ice.

I must be wrong tho.

do you guys really think that a guy not at 100% will play his first game in weeks and is going to shut down the best player in the world. Malkin will kill him like he is killing the rest of your old ass team so if this what you need to sleep at night sleep well because its over. LETS GO PENS

How do you know he won't be 100%? It seems like Dats could have played yesterday but the team played it extra cautious and saved him for Game #5.

I bet you thought it was over when the Pens were down 2-0. It's a best of 3 with two games at the Joe, where the Pens have not won this SCF. If that is what you need to sleep at night...

Edited by Mike

I'll say this, this is the final straw with Datsyuk's injury. If he doesn't play tomorrow, then I think we can all assume it's been a smoke screen from the beginning and he's going to be out for the series...

I'd take Pavel Datsyuk over Malkin any day. The funny thing is...Pavel Datsyuk is actually the best player in the world. He Scores almost as many points as Malkin and is ten times better defensively. I'll take Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg over Malkin and Crosby any day. The funny thing is we have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Franzen signed for less combined than Malkin and Crosby.

Its not like we need Pav to shut down Malkin on his own. He'll just be able to help Lids and Raf and/or Kronner and Stuart. It's his puck possession that will help the most keeping the puck away from Malkin.

I'm sooooo glad that he'll be back.

Now.....everybody that is going to the game tomorrow.......LET'S ROCK THE HOUSE! We need the crowd to push our boys to victory!

This doesn't make it 100% but here's what TSN is reporting:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280978

DATSYUK PREPARED TO MAKE RETURN TO LINEUP IN GAME 5

The Detroit Red Wings look to be getting an emotional boost heading into Game 5 of the Stanley Cup final on Saturday.

Hart Trophy candidate Pavel Datsyuk, who has missed seven straight games this post-season, is set to return to the Wings' lineup Saturday, barring a setback.

While Detroit has yet to reveal the extent of the injury, describing it simply as a 'lower-body' injury; speculation is that Datsyuk suffered a fractured bone in his foot during Game 2 of the Wings' Western Conference finals series against the Blackhawks.

The prospects of a return to the lineup by the Russian superstar looked good for Game 4 on Thursday as he took the Wings' optional skate in the morning with the team's "Black Aces." The Russian sniper then also took the pre-game skate before deciding that he was unable to go. His absence was felt as the Wings dropped a 4-2 decision to the Penguins which allowed Pittsburgh to even the series at two games apiece.

Being able to draw Datsyuk back into the lineup would greatly aid the Wings in attempting to halt the momentum that Pittsburgh has been able to build in the past two games. While slick skating superstar is known primarily as an offensive threat, he is also one of the best two-way forwards in the league having captured the Frank J. Selke trophy last year as the NHL's top defensive forward. He is nominated for the award once again this year.

While Detroit has been able to limit Sidney Crosby to three points in the series thanks to a blanketing checking effort by Henrik Zetterberg and Nicklas Lidstrom, the addition of Datsyuk could give the Red Wings another body to shadow Malkin who has been the Pens' most dangerous player in the series. Zetterberg would certainly welcome some additional help as he looked fatigued in Game 4, giving up some very uncharacteristic turnovers leading to several Penguins chances.

Red Wings coach Mike Babcock says he has prepared every game in this series under the assumption that Datsyuk would not be in the mix; however he is confident that the two-time Stanley Cup winner will be able to play on Saturday and is preparing for the game with that in mind.

To ease some of the burden, Babcock will likely place Datsyuk on the wing where he will not be forced to take faceoffs or assume all of the defensive responsibilities as he would in his traditional centre spot.

In a funny way, it seems like that computer simulation thing might end up being right. They said that the presence of Lidstrom and/or Datsyuk could be what determines who wins this thing, and we've been sorely missing Dats thus far.

That's great news! I hope to see him in the lineup.

Penguins fans that believe Datsyuk will hurt the Wings more than help them are really underestimating a guy who is currently nominated for the Hart, Person, Selke and Byng. Even if Datsyuk's not 100%, his defensive and offensive contribution will be well above the level of the player he's replacing in the line-up.

He's been injured all playoffs, and yeah his numbers haven't been good, but if you watched all the Wings' playoff games so far you'd know he's been our best penalty killer not named Nick (yes, that includes Zetterberg, who could be argued was the equal of Pavel in penalty killing but was really just a hair less effective than Pav on the PK).

Some of the comments on LGP about Datsyuk have left me in disbelief. They're advocating intentionally shooting pucks at his skates if he does play, chalking the article up to "Detroit mind games," or speculating that he'll be around 50%. This coming from a group of "fans" who attributed Dupuis' stick breaking in Game 2 to the fact that the "home team supplies the sticks" and that, because of this, Detroit tampered with those supplied to Pittsburgh. I can't even fathom how difficult life would be with that level of ineptitude.

Penguins fans that believe Datsyuk will hurt the Wings more than help them are really underestimating a guy who is currently nominated for the Hart, Person, Selke and Byng. Even if Datsyuk's not 100%, his defensive and offensive contribution will be well above the level of the player he's replacing in the line-up.

He's been injured all playoffs, and yeah his numbers haven't been good, but if you watched all the Wings' playoff games so far you'd know he's been our best penalty killer not named Nick (yes, that includes Zetterberg, who could be argued was the equal of Pavel in penalty killing but was really just a hair less effective than Pav on the PK).

Oh I have no doubt he'll be a major positive for your squad.

I'm just looking forward to the end of all the excuse-making that's cropped up since the Pens won a game or two.