• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Lovin Jiri Fischer

Hockey Nicknames

Rate this topic

So I Wikipedia-ed hockey nicknames out of boredom and the page lists some nicknames for Z and Lidstrom that I have never ever heard anyone use. Lidstrom is apparently "St. Niklas" and Z is "Ice Berg." Since when? Also Yzerman is listed as "Stevie Wonder." I know I was young during most of his career but I would have remembered that.

There were others I haven't ever heard before including

Evgeni Nabakov: John

Martin Brodeur: Satan's Wallpaper

Marc-Andre Fleury: Rebounds, Flower

Am I missing something? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ice_hockey_nicknames

Steve Yzerman was called Stevie Wonder during his high scoring days. Later on the name was used but not as frequently. This was a popular name.

Marc-Andre is called Flower by bloggers. I do not know if teammates use it.

Lidstrom has always been called "Mr. Perfect" and "St. Niklas". Not sure how you missed that

Never heard of the one for Z before. I could see Berg making sense (nicknames are supposed to be shorter not two words)

So I Wikipedia-ed hockey nicknames out of boredom and the page lists some nicknames for Z and Lidstrom that I have never ever heard anyone use. Lidstrom is apparently "St. Niklas" and Z is "Ice Berg." Since when? Also Yzerman is listed as "Stevie Wonder." I know I was young during most of his career but I would have remembered that.

There were others I haven't ever heard before including

Evgeni Nabakov: John

Martin Brodeur: Satan's Wallpaper

Marc-Andre Fleury: Rebounds, Flower

Am I missing something? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ice_hockey_nicknames

Crosby called Fleury flower in an interview i saw online... can't find which one damnit but i had to rewind it several times to verify then busted out laughing

Crosby called Fleury flower in an interview i saw online... can't find which one damnit but i had to rewind it several times to verify then busted out laughing

:38 seconds in... franzen scored off of flowers leg

Mickey Redmond can be credited with a few of the Wings' nicknames. "Professor" for Igor Larionov, "Rocket Man" for Paul Ysebaert, and I think "Stevie Wonder", but I could be wrong on that one. Steve's first nickname was "Silk", because he was so smooth.

Mickey Redmond can be credited with a few of the Wings' nicknames. "Professor" for Igor Larionov, "Rocket Man" for Paul Ysebaert, and I think "Stevie Wonder", but I could be wrong on that one. Steve's first nickname was "Silk", because he was so smooth.

Really? :siren:

Nick is also called "The Perfect Human." I head Cheli call Stevie "Yzie" in interviews a few times before Stevie retired. I remember when people used to call him "Silk." Long time ago...:)

Here are some more Wings nicknames (besides the obvious ones and those already mentioned), of some past players -

Slava Fetisov - Papa Bear

Manny Legace - Ferret

Vladimir Konstantinov - The Vladinator

Kevin Hodson - Ticker

Sergei Fedorov - FedEx

Pat Verbeek - Beeker

Steve Duchesne - Duke

Sean Avery - A-Pup

Curtis Joseph - CuJo

Steve Thomas - Stumpy

Pavel Bure = "Russian Rocket"

Brett Hull = "Goat" (from his days with Datsyuk and Devereaux)

Luc Robitaille = "Lucky" or "Lucky Luc"

Don Cherry = "Grapes"

Claude Lemieux = "Pepe" or as I liked to call him "Pepe le *****" or "Turtle"

wasnt hull's line with devereaux and pavel called 'two kids and a goat?'

Yea, and how about "The Wizard" for Datsyuk. That was a Mickey one too I think.

wasnt hull's line with devereaux and pavel called 'two kids and a goat?'

Yes indeed it was and for all the hassle people gave devereaux, watch those old games and the kid was flying around, going right to the boards and the net, winning battles in the corner and playing very hard. Helm like? Almost and I will take that kind of hustle any day and certainly in any playoff (need anyone a reminder, think about game 4). Honestly, Hull had it made. You had these two young players working their ass off for you, including an insanely skilled passer in Datsyk and later with Hank as well, and he just floated around waiting for the play. Yzerman got to play with Pavel and Hank a few times and commented on iot - something like, "Now I see what Hull is talking about. He has it easy out there and I could get used to this."

Also read a comment once. Hull was on the bench and told Datsyuk he was open at a certain point. Dats said, "No you weren't open." Hull replied with something like, "Of the 700+ goals I have scored, 300 or so were in that same position. I know when I am open kid."

Are all those really true nicknames, though? It's not like the coaches in Florida went, "Next shift will be [player 1], [player 2] and THE RUSSIAN ROCKET."

Edited by Systemfel

Yes indeed it was and for all the hassle people gave devereaux, watch those old games and the kid was flying around, going right to the boards and the net, winning battles in the corner and playing very hard. Helm like? Almost and I will take that kind of hustle any day and certainly in any playoff (need anyone a reminder, think about game 4). Honestly, Hull had it made. You had these two young players working their ass off for you, including an insanely skilled passer in Datsyk and later with Hank as well, and he just floated around waiting for the play. Yzerman got to play with Pavel and Hank a few times and commented on iot - something like, "Now I see what Hull is talking about. He has it easy out there and I could get used to this."

Also read a comment once. Hull was on the bench and told Datsyuk he was open at a certain point. Dats said, "No you weren't open." Hull replied with something like, "Of the 700+ goals I have scored, 300 or so were in that same position. I know when I am open kid."

Actually it was Two Kids and an Old Goat, and Hull himself gave the line that nickname.

I remember when Stevie was playing on a line with Draper and Maltby (start of 2005-06 season, I think?) FSD tried to give that line a name and I think they went so far as to have fans vote for their favorite among four choices. I remember one of them was The Y2K line (a Y - Yzerman, and 2 K's - Kris & Kirk). It didn't really stick and Stevie was soon off Draper and Maltby's line.