• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Probie

Any Chance Tavares Replaces Crosby as the New NHL Poster Boy?

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline
Seriously? Crosby is better than Ovechkin or say? A healthy Marion Gaborik. While I think that Crosby is a great Hockey player, his Media Hype seems to be greater. What ever happened to accomplishments? Even the greats like Wayne and Stevie Y had to prove themselves.

Something to understand about marketing is it isn't exactly the most fair thing. It's about selling something. That's all. Do you really think of 300 million people in the US Barack Obama was the best Presidential candidate? f*** no. He was the most highly marketed and sold his brand very well. People bought into it. They do the same thing for certain ballot measures one votes on, they do it on products that's sold. An added boost to marketing over the last decade or two have replaced quality control, in essence. That's the way of the product (cereal, hockey, blabla) or a brand (Crosby, Obama, Kobe, etc.).

Nonetheless, it's stupid to doubt Crosby's accomplishments as not amongst the most elite in the NHL today. In all likelihood he's going to have 500 points at age 22, he's been to the Cup Finals twice by age 21 (still up in the air if he's going to win one this season), as the Captain of a team, several ASG's, and his impact is well documented..

http://dispatch.com/live/content/sports/st...P8.html?sid=101

Crosby entered the NHL in 2005 after a labor dispute cost it an entire season. League executives hoped rule changes designed to create more offense would win back fans. They also were banking on the appeal of a fresh-faced kid from Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia.

Crosby's impact has exceeded almost everyone's imagination. His No. 87 jersey was the top seller every month from September 2005 until February 2008 on Shop.NHL.com.

A season before the lockout, the Penguins had the NHL's lowest attendance and there was talk of relocating the franchise. They currently have sold out 63 straight games and led the NHL this season by playing to 103.2 percent capacity at home and on the road.

Blue Jackets coach Ken Hitchcock marvels at Crosby's willingness to promote the league. Even in his rookie season as losses mounted and veterans scattered, Crosby sat in his locker stall and waited for the media.

The presence of charismatic young players such as Crosby and Alex Ovechkin has helped supply NBC and its cable partner Versus with some of the sport's best TV ratings in years.

"He is similar to Gretzky in that when they speak you get excited about the sport of ice hockey," Hitchcock said.

There's really no ambiguity, unless one is a fellow Wings fan in denial.

Edited by Shoreline

Seriously? Crosby is better than Ovechkin or say? A healthy Marion Gaborik. While I think that Crosby is a great Hockey player, his Media Hype seems to be greater. What ever happened to accomplishments? Even the greats like Wayne and Stevie Y had to prove themselves.

Let me start by saying that I'm no Crosby fan and that his childish behavior in this series has been a flat out embarassment. But, as far as him being the poster boy for marketing the league, like him or not, he's far and away the best player available. The kid is likeable to prospective fans........alot of females think he's a very attractive guy, he has a mastery of the English language, and most importantly, he walks the walk statistically. The casual fan doesn't care if he's not the greatest two way player in the league. Just like other sports, offense sells tickets (yea, I know defense wins championships). I don't know why wings fans make such a big issue of this. Let him have all the fame and individual awards he can get......if he makes the league more popular then it's a good thing for Detroit as well.......we'll just take CUPS!!!..........Go Wings!!!

Crosby helps sell the game. No doubt, from a marketing standpoint, he stands at the top in embracing the spotlight. Proof in the pudding is the people who come to see Crosby and sales of his merchandise. No other player in the league can do more right now. I really don't get why so many Red Wings fans are such ideologues about a very simple thing, ending up being in denial about Crosby's effect on selling the NHL.

Maybe, just maybe... some of us fans do not want the NHL sold .

Maybe some of us feel like the NHL is becoming Basketball on ice and we want HOCKEY back.

and just maybe Crosby embraces everything that we hate about hockey.

Perhaps some of us do not care about how much crosby sells, and in fact his sales only indicate an increase of fair weather fans who could care less about the traditions and history of hockey.

Crosby is a joke, and his effect is a negative one on hockey. IMO

Guest Shoreline
Maybe, just maybe... some of us fans do not want the NHL sold .

Maybe some of us feel like the NHL is becoming Basketball on ice and we want HOCKEY back.

and just maybe Crosby embraces everything that we hate about hockey.

Perhaps some of us do not care about how much crosby sells, and in fact his sales only indicate an increase of fair weather fans who could care less about the traditions and history of hockey.

Crosby is a joke, and his effect is a negative one on hockey. IMO

I'm not suggesting that I absolutely love Crosby and the idea that he's the leading figure of the NHL marketing agenda. I'm merely suggesting that marketing works, and proof in the pudding is how well both the franchise he's in is doing, and how well he's selling the product. Your issue with the "basketball on ice" thing is unrelated to Crosby. I just see people using the Crosby thing as just another method of taking out their frustrations with the league on.

Crosby isn't a showboater -- he was just all over another superstar for showboating, which I actually defended. He's no more or less a diver than any other player, no more a whiner than any other captain who talks to the refs (which includes Lidstrom -- Yzerman used to talk to the refs pretty frequently too). I would be more than willing to jump into the Crosby bashing bandwagon if it actually made any bloody sense regarding the things you're bashing him for.

Toews IMO. The kid is like Lidstrom 2.0.

Well, not really like Lids at all except that he's like a robot (canadian forward...not really swedish defender).

But a great kid, great talent, nice guy, never says anything bad about his opponents, never cheap shots, etc.

Original six captain at a really young age, too, with a lot of talent around him.

Agreed. Toews is the best combination of skill and class and leadership not in a Red Wings uniform. It's funny, being that he's from the Blackhawks and as Detroit fans we shuold probably hate him, but he's just a great kid it seems.

Something to understand about marketing is it isn't exactly the most fair thing. It's about selling something. That's all. Do you really think of 300 million people in the US Barack Obama was the best Presidential candidate? f*** no. He was the most highly marketed and sold his brand very well. People bought into it. They do the same thing for certain ballot measures one votes on, they do it on products that's sold. An added boost to marketing over the last decade or two have replaced quality control, in essence. That's the way of the product (cereal, hockey, blabla) or a brand (Crosby, Obama, Kobe, etc.).

Nonetheless, it's stupid to doubt Crosby's accomplishments as not amongst the most elite in the NHL today. In all likelihood he's going to have 500 points at age 22, he's been to the Cup Finals twice by age 21 (still up in the air if he's going to win one this season), as the Captain of a team, several ASG's, and his impact is well documented..

There's really no ambiguity, unless one is a fellow Wings fan in denial.

Maybe not a wings fan in denial but it is possible that I am fan of the game who is in denial. I just want to see all the brands that are offered. Not just one. I have been a fan of the game for so long now that it hard for me to think from the perspective of the casual fan. The fact that Crosby can draw new fans to the game is not lost to me.

Guest Shoreline
Maybe not a wings fan in denial but it is possible that I am fan of the game who is in denial. I just want to see all the brands that are offered. Not just one. I have been a fan of the game for so long now that it hard for me to think from the perspective of the casual fan. The fact that Crosby can draw new fans to the game is not lost to me.

There's definitely some people who prefer a certain brand of hockey that have become disillusioned with it in it's current (or I guess you can also say evolving) state. What's also ironic is they also tend to be in areas that prominently involve hockey, as in, Canada, Great Lakes States, New England, etc. I think many people (particularly in my area) forget that the NHL is it's own brand of hockey entertainment, not the very definition of hockey itself. Similarly, I like baseball and basketball, but despise both the NBA and MLB and what they've done to both respective games on an entertainment level, and thus don't watch it at all. Hockey to the NHL is like a banana to a banana split.

Edited by Shoreline

Stamkos scored 23 goals as an 18-year old. That hardly spells 'bust' to me.

on top of his 23 goals, he did it all when melrose left and got off to a s***ty start with no ice time.

i wouldn't mind seeing the top 3-5 in the draft this year as the poster boys all together. it puts less pressure on just one kid if their grouped in with a class of good young players.

Thornton, Naslund, Kovalchuk, TURCO, Ovechkin, SUNDIN, Theodore, Lecavalier, Richards, Sedin twins, Ray, Havlat, Phaneuf, and on and on. Just off the top of my head regarding promos and commercials.

People with a Crosby obsession remind me of the Flamingos song "I Only Have Eyes for You". You give more attention to Crosby than the NHL even does.

hahahahahahahahahahaha TURCO??? SUNDIN??? i mean sundin is good but wayyy past prime, and turco better have a turn around season to be a star again. but other than those two, solid selections

also no, the nhl will not switch poster boys. you gotta remember crosby has been touted as the next "one". and ask ppl outside of hockey who the best player in the nhl is and they'll say crosby. the only ppl who dislike crosby are people who know/follow the NHL. i had an arguement last night with one of my friends who doesn't really watch hockey and he thought crosby was the best all around player. they know no stats, no reason why he's good. they just know he's good cuz the NHL promotes him as the best and tv stations such as ESPN comply.

also no, the nhl will not switch poster boys. you gotta remember crosby has been touted as the next "one". and ask ppl outside of hockey who the best player in the nhl is and they'll say crosby. the only ppl who dislike crosby are people who know/follow the NHL. i had an arguement last night with one of my friends who doesn't really watch hockey and he thought crosby was the best all around player. they know no stats, no reason why he's good. they just know he's good cuz the NHL promotes him as the best and tv stations such as ESPN comply.

Hmm.. interesting read. But I do not agree with you about that only people who dislike crosby are people who know and follow the NHL. I highly dislike Crosby because of his attitude and behavior but he is one of the best player in the league right now. Besides, it would be meaningless if you ask a friend who has no knowledge of hockey. Let's suppose you do not know anything about soccer then who would be the best soccer player now? Maybe Ronaldo because he is in the ManU, which has been the terrific club since 2006.

This is the same case. I know Crosby is not the best all around player. Crosby has a good skating skill, good shot, good sense of a game. When I see him, I just hate him but there is no doubt he is a good player.

I fail to see how 23 goals and 46 points in 79 games on arguably the worst team in the NHL as an 18 year old is bombing.

That just proves the point that the aren't any REAL hockey fans in Southern California. Dude, so lets compare rookie stats:

Stamkos - 23 goals 23 assists 46 points on a LOSER team.

Getzlaf - 25 goals 33 assists 58 points on a Stanley Cup (hardly) Team in 82 games.

Perry - 17 goals 27 asst 44 points 82 games

...and those two were #1 & #2 in scoring on your team (hardly) this season. But I would guess that you wouldn't call either of those two a bust. Since for most clucks fans (hardly) hockey doesn't exist until the playoffs.

Just to compare

Datsyuk - 11 goals 24 asst 35 points 70 games. Hart, Selke, Byng nominee to name a few...

Hmm.. interesting read. But I do not agree with you about that only people who dislike crosby are people who know and follow the NHL. I highly dislike Crosby because of his attitude and behavior but he is one of the best player in the league right now. Besides, it would be meaningless if you ask a friend who has no knowledge of hockey. Let's suppose you do not know anything about soccer then who would be the best soccer player now? Maybe Ronaldo because he is in the ManU, which has been the terrific club since 2006.

This is the same case. I know Crosby is not the best all around player. Crosby has a good skating skill, good shot, good sense of a game. When I see him, I just hate him but there is no doubt he is a good player.

i guess i don't really see what you disagree with lol. but i didn't start the arguement just an fyi, just told him why he was wrong haha. i know that there are ppl who don't follow the nhl that dislike crosby, but that means they are following it to an extent. like all the fair weather fans in michigan now that detroit is in teh finals watch and think they know their stuff dislike crosby as well. i know what you're sayin tho, i shouldn't generalize like that, MOST ppl who dislike him follow hockey.

and i agree crosby is a great player, i still don't like him tho haha

Guest Shoreline
hahahahahahahahahahaha TURCO??? SUNDIN??? i mean sundin is good but wayyy past prime, and turco better have a turn around season to be a star again. but other than those two, solid selections

Heh, I was going off the top of my head about NHL stars who've been promoted by the NHL.

There's definitely some people who prefer a certain brand of hockey that have become disillusioned with it in it's current (or I guess you can also say evolving) state. What's also ironic is they also tend to be in areas that prominently involve hockey, as in, Canada, Great Lakes States, New England, etc. I think many people (particularly in my area) forget that the NHL is it's own brand of hockey entertainment, not the very definition of hockey itself. Similarly, I like baseball and basketball, but despise both the NBA and MLB and what they've done to both respective games on an entertainment level, and thus don't watch it at all. Hockey to the NHL is like a banana to a banana split.

After last nights game, I wonder if this is the brand Bettman had in mind? I do not care for Bettman but contrary to popular belief, the man is no dummy. I would find hard to believe he wants the new face of the NHL running around taking cheap shots. Is that style of hockey entertaining. Hmmm? Could Sean Avery could be the face of the NHL? He is certainly entertaining! Maybe to all of the WWE fans who do not understand the game. I guess for me that is were disillusionment comes from. I just now question Bettman's choice. Should just one player be the lone face of the NHL?

If Tavares ends up with the Isles I can see the story lines now. "The re-birth of the Islanders." "How does Tavares compare to Bryan Trottier?" "Crosby versus Tavares - Today's Gretzky versus Lemieux?"

no I really don't think so.. I think Tavares will be a guy who gets tucked away and ignored at times but he'll always be one of the most dangeorus goal scoring threats and can single handedly turn a game around... kind of like Rick Nash, and how often do you hear about Rick Nash?

If I'm watching the game on FSN Ohio then the answer is: every five seconds.

Uh, the NHL doesn't market Avery. Can't even be put in the same light as any of the aforementioned names, including Crosby.

A player doesn't have to be Crosby in order to help sell the sport. And believe me, Avery has helped sell the sport.

Just like his being upset on the ice has nothing to do with his marketability

You're being obstinate, friend. I know you enjoy putting "haters" in their place, but your argument here is just completely illogical -- and on two levels. First, you're denying that there's a link between the way in which an athlete conducts himself on the playing field and the way the markets his sport (and the way the sport markets him). Second, you're accepting the good but denying the bad -- i.e., "Just look at him. He's so marketable. Oh man, look at that sick move he just made. What talent! Whoa, he just chopped Hank's leg. Wait, what's that? You don't like that he did that? Well, that's not relevant. Get over it. Oh man, look at that sick skill!"

he's the most marketable player the NHL has right now

Which has a lot to do with the fact that he was the focus of the NHL's star-maker machinery before having even played a single game in the NHL -- hell, before he was even drafted.

Edited by Dabura

Guest Shoreline
After last nights game, I wonder if this is the brand Bettman had in mind? I do not care for Bettman but contrary to popular belief, the man is no dummy. I would find hard to believe he wants the new face of the NHL running around taking cheap shots. Is that style of hockey entertaining. Hmmm? Could Sean Avery could be the face of the NHL? He is certainly entertaining! Maybe to all of the WWE fans who do not understand the game. I guess for me that is were disillusionment comes from. I just now question Bettman's choice. Should just one player be the lone face of the NHL?

I'm not sure if I iterated this in the current topic or a similar one that's floating about but every face the NHL markets gets upset and can be put off their game. Crosby is no exception. I doubt the frustration illustrated by him would have had any effect at all on his marketability. Just like any of Ovechkin's questionable checks wouldn't affect that at all. Now, if Crosby ends up in the media for taking steroids, hitting from a vaporizer, or shooting feral cats for sport, we're talking about something different entirely (see Kobe / Vick debacle in relation to league promotion and endorsements).

Guest Shoreline
A player doesn't have to be Crosby in order to help sell the sport. And believe me, Avery has helped sell the sport.

You're being obstinate, friend. I know you enjoy putting "haters" in their place, but your argument here is just completely illogical -- and on two levels. First, you're denying that there's a link between the way in which an athlete conducts himself on the playing field and the way the markets his sport (and the way the sport markets him). Second, you're accepting the good but denying the bad -- i.e., "Just look at him. He's so marketable. Oh man, look at that sick move he just made. What talent! Whoa, he just chopped Hank's leg. Wait, what's that? You don't like that he did that? Well, that's not relevant. Get over it. Oh man, look at that sick skill!"

Which has a lot to do with the fact that he was the focus of the NHL's star-maker machinery before having even played a single game in the NHL -- hell, before he was even drafted.

You're far too focused on the NHL as the sole or even primary reason for Crosby's fame. The media (CBC, TSN, etc.) were all over his talent and given the inherent exposure that brings, of course the NHL will later pursue him. Nextly, Avery has helped sell the sport in which way? And thirdly, you need to point out on-ice conduct and how that's caused losses of endorsements and so on. I would need some examples.

Regarding On-ice play, it mostly can benefit the player. However, as we know with the Red Wings, decent on-ice players does not inherently qualify as marketable. Furthermore, Avery DID get positive attention for being an on-ice pest, and LOST that positive attention when he went spouting off to the media. That actually did not benefit the NHL. At all.

Edited by Shoreline

That just proves the point that the aren't any REAL hockey fans in Southern California.

I live in Southern California, grew up in Michigan, have been following the game since I could speak.

I play in the beer leagues on three different teams, three + times a week.

Nope... no hockey fans in Southern California. None at all, real or otherwise.

In fact, you should fly down here, and come play a pickup game with me, I'll show you just how right you are.

(Make sure to get to the rink at least an hour early, it's first come first serve, they lock entry when it's full and have to turn away more people than they let in at EVERY pickup)

Back on topic:

I really hope Tavares or Toews or anybody else can replace Crysby. I can't stand him. It's mostly his attitude.

To be truly great IMO (yes, I'm idealist where: great = marketable), you have to be at least a little humble. Stevie Y was humble to the very end, even saying in his farewell speech (to the great dismay of the crowd) that he didn't feel he deserved any of the fanfare, and that he's been surrounded by great players and coaches that deserve as much if not more credit than he. If any of the youngsters in the NHL want to be truly great, they should try and emulate The Captain as much as possible.

To be worthy of poster boy status you should have: talent, skill, integrity, class, humility, be a good role model, be active in your community, display excellent sportsmanship, etc... Not just sell jerseys and key chains.

I'm not sure where to find the numbers, but I'd be willing to be that Stevie Y has sold more jerseys than Crysby has to date.

Guest Shoreline
I really hope Tavares or Toews or anybody else can replace Crysby. I can't stand him. It's mostly his attitude.

To be truly great IMO (yes, I'm idealist where: great = marketable), you have to be at least a little humble. Stevie Y was humble to the very end, even saying in his farewell speech (to the great dismay of the crowd) that he didn't feel he deserved any of the fanfare, and that he's been surrounded by great players and coaches that deserve as much if not more credit than he. If any of the youngsters in the NHL want to be truly great, they should try and emulate The Captain as much as possible.

To be worthy of poster boy status you should have: talent, skill, integrity, class, humility, be a good role model, be active in your community, display excellent sportsmanship, etc... Not just sell jerseys and key chains.

These people automatically get notoriety, but we're talking about simply marketing a player. Crosby IS humble, and was all over Ovechkin for what many Canadian purists called excessively celebrating. He IS active in his community, and one could suggest his whining to the refs is no different than Yzerman's constantly talking to the refs. Hate to reiterate a common word used on Versus/NBC, but it's gamesmanship. He also sells jerseys, keychains, etc. better than anyone else, and that includes tickets and revenue, which matter most. More than that, he isn't anywhere near a Sean Avery, so it isn't like the NHL just markets some off-the-wall player for the hell of it or nothing more in mind than revenue. Image is part of that, which I'm sure is also why Crosby gets other endorsements, not just from the league. To suggest he doesn't deserve the spotlight is rather silly. You should just come out and say that because you're tired of seeing him, or don't like him, he shouldn't be marketed. Most Wings fans fall into this explanation too.

I'm not sure where to find the numbers, but I'd be willing to be that Stevie Y has sold more jerseys than Crysby has to date.

I fully expected Crosby in 4 years to pass up more sales than Yzerman in his 23 year career. Not to mention Lemieux and Gretzky.

Seriously, if people don't like Crosby, I certainly understand. I don't really like him either, despite acknowledging how good he is as a player and a marketing figure. However, if they want to seem in the slightest bit rational when they say Tavares would be more ideal than Crosby, they should probably do a better job at propping up Tavares' accomplishments rather than simply refusing to acknowledge Crosby's or lying about them.