• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Flintstone Cicarelli

Class and Hockey.

Rate this topic

I think everyone has their panties in a bunch... Oh, there I go with the girly insinuations...must be mommy issues. ;)

because they don't like the way that Flinstone made his original post. (It seems that reading comprehension might be an issue.)

I don't think Flinstone necessarily is trying to bait the types of reactions that he's getting, although I don't think he minds it too much.

(...and it's mind boggling that people still CANNOT infer sarcasm into posts on the interwebs. Is it your first day here or something??)

Here, however, is another level of this argument and hypocrisy within most hockey fans.

And I'll break it down all nice and simple-like:

How many times have you said, "I hate Getzlaf. He sucks! ...but I'd love to see him in a Wings jersey." ???

Edited by e_prime

Ok. So the crux of your point is that women and little girls are spoiled and they throw hissy fits? Deeper issues then we need to get into here. Suffice it to say, wouldn't want to be your wife, mother, sister.

Next. And I will use an anecdotal story that you might relate to, being a fan of the Red Wings.

Was it classy, funny, gritty, good character, or school girlish for Mr. Franzen to take the mouthpiece out of an opponent well over 5 inches and maybe 75 lb smaller and throw it on the ice?

Some might say that lacked character, tact, manners, good sportsmanship, and class.

Others might say it was hockeyish and give him kudos in the form of moving gifs as avatars and ear-to-ear grins when speaking of it.

No sir the crux of my post was the amount of class shown by the Pens best players in last night’s game and compared that to ours in game 4. Again, my point remains entirely un-refuted.

Your example, although not showing our best behavior is not the same for the following reasons: what Franz did was not a penalty, it did not involve a hit to the head or illegal use of the stick.

Character and class are best shown at times of adversity and pressure. Both Mr. Crosby and Mr. Malkin have shown again they don’t have enough. I’m sure it will come with age and maturity as they gain experience.

Flintstone 1998: That Rick Tocchet is the diritiest bastard I've ever seen lace'em up.

Flinstone 1991: You see Tocchet slobber knock Adam Graves? Man, I love that guy.

just so you know nobody here cares, go reminisce in the pens cup winning years in the PENS forum

he has some tricky wording in there, i think he's trying to bait wings fans into agreement with him unknowingly, some of what he says has merit but in the end he is jsut a frustrated pens fan trying to defend crosby's weak attempt at captaincy and cooke and talbot's apparent mental disorders among other things that his team has done wrong and the wings have done right up to this point

:rolleyes: Yup, you sure get what he's talking about.

i know exactly what is going on here, i wasnt commenting on his point, rather his hostility towards wings fans

I don't think you get where everyone else is coming from, though. When I was growing up, one thing my parents always told was "it's not what you say but how you say it". If the thread starter had been less of a ****** and didn't come off to people like a condescending jackass, people would be more receptive to what he was saying. To use a different analogy, when you serve filet mignon and a baked potato on a garbage can lid, it doesn't matter what the food is - it's the way it's presented that sticks with you and it's not appetizing anymore.

I get it, I just think that people don't like it when people point at you and say, "lol hypocrite". He actually worded his OP pretty innocuously.

So, if I was classy in my posting a style, you'd be receptive to my point (even though the thrust of my point would be unchanged)? How odd. :)

Your posts have true grit, don't worry about it. :lol:

No sir the crux of my post was the amount of class shown by the Pens best players in last night’s game and compared that to ours in game 4. Again, my point remains entirely un-refuted.

Your example, although not showing our best behavior is not the same for the following reasons: what Franz did was not a penalty, it did not involve a hit to the head or illegal use of the stick.

Character and class are best shown at times of adversity and pressure. Both Mr. Crosby and Mr. Malkin have shown again they don’t have enough. I’m sure it will come with age and maturity as they gain experience.

Wouldn't this be unsportsmanlike conduct?

Wouldn't this be unsportsmanlike conduct?

Definitely could be considered unsportsmanlike.

In fact, I'm really surprised that he didn't get a penalty for it, though I don't know that the refs caught him.

the franzen incident/maltby touching crosby's glove, crosby's "slash"(as he put it a "two hander") on maltby are just humorous incidents imo if that happened to me i would just laugh it off and hit someone or make a good play next shift, they have nothing to do with grit or class, just humorous incidents that should be shaken off, grit and class, that is another story

And my point, which sailed past you like a Kunitz shot-- three feet wide and two feet high, is that your classless is my grit....and backwards too. Your lack of leadership is my taking the aggressive stance to carry past a game with no chance to win...and backwards too.

There are people today, on another board, who most assuredly think that Malkin and Crosby showed leadership by remaining physical in a demoralizing game.

There are even some that call it a bigger win that they, as scoring players, had the gumption to go nose to nose, fist to fist with players that are more apt to be fighters and roughnecks. To some that shows leadership.

Who is correct. Who cares.

The interesting bit is that, and I think your muncipal leaders should maket this, Detroit is a city and a populace so very concerend with manners and class.

:rolleyes: Yup, you sure get what he's talking about.

I get it, I just think that people don't like it when people point at you and say, "lol hypocrite". He actually worded his OP pretty innocuously.

Your posts have true grit, don't worry about it. :lol:

do you really think your that awesome because you think you "understand it" which you probably do you just got a different perception and because you are siding with a penguins troll that if you really think about it doesnt belong here?

Edited by jollymania

And my point, which sailed past you like a Kunitz shot-- three feet wide and two feet high, is that your classless is my grit....and backwards too. Your lack of leadership is my taking the aggressive stance to carry past a game with no chance to win...and backwards too.

There are people today, on another board, who most assuredly think that Malkin and Crosby showed leadership by remaining physical in a demoralizing game.

There are even some that call it a bigger win that they, as scoring players, had the gumption to go nose to nose, fist to fist with players that are more apt to be fighters and roughnecks. To some that shows leadership.

Who is correct. Who cares.

The interesting bit is that, and I think your muncipal leaders should maket this, Detroit is a city and a populace so very concerend with manners and class.

To be fair, Zetterberg has had a total of one fight in his NHL career (the one with Malkin). He'd hardly be considered a "fighter" or "roughneck".

Franzen also is pretty girly. He dives and sells penalties pretty well (as a majority of players do).

I'm with you on your point, though. People aren't objective when it comes to sports. What we as Wings fans call grit from our guys could be seen as classlessness by other teams. I'm sure that when Downey beat the tar out of Laperriere, a lot of Avs fans were calling us classless, etc.

Of course every Wings fan loved it because Downey was showing grit and sticking up for his teammate.

Anyone here find it classless by every single team in the NHL, based on some unwritten rule about sticking up for your goaltender, that there is a free license to hack, crosscheck, punch, facewash, slash any player within 3 feet of the crease on a stoppage---even when those attackers know that the other team is just doing their job looking for a rebound and they aren't going to harm the goalie? Classless or a gritty part of hockey? Can a penalty be called each time? Aren't the actions usually a breach of the official NHL rules? More often than not those hits come from behind to a defensless player.

Do you honestly think player A hits player B because there is a threat to his goalie's well being? Or, like me, do you know it is a chance to take a hack at a player and not get called for it while sending a message to the other team that might help keep a crease squatter on-edge for the rest of the game/series?

(mind you: I am not talking about the cases where a player is actually roughing the goalie).

Edited by Flintstone Cicarelli

Anyone here find it classless by every single team in the NHL, based on some unwritten rule about sticking up for your goaltender, that there is a free license to hack, crosscheck, punch, facewash, slash any player within 3 feet of the crease on a stoppage---even when those attackers know that the other team is just doing their job looking for a rebound and they aren't going to harm the goalie? Classless or a gritty part of hockey? Can a penalty be called each time? Aren't the actions usually a breach of the official NHL rules? More often than not those hits come from behind to a defensless player.

Do you honelty think player A hits player B because there is a threat to his goalie's well being? Or, like me, do you know it is a chance to take a hack at a player and not get called for it while sending a message to the other team that might help keep a crease squatter on-edge for the rest of the game/series?

(mind you: I am not talking about the cases where a player is actually roughing the goalie).

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I've played defense for 20 years. I don't really go for guys like Homer that are just irritating and sitting on the crease and get to jawing after the play is over, but guys that put a stick to my keeper get knocked on their asses.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I've played defense for 20 years. I don't really go for guys like Homer that are just irritating and sitting on the crease and get to jawing after the play is over, but guys that put a stick to my keeper get knocked on their asses.

Which reminds me, do you think Hossa's hit on a back-up goalie up 5-0 was a classless trait he learned while in Pittsburgh (under the leadership of Crosby and Malkin) or was it grit he picked up in Detroit under what has been described as the kind, loving, fair and sportsmanlike tutelage of the Wings leadership?

Do you think Pittsburgh and Detroit fans see that incident in different light?

Did anyone in Detroit cheer when they saw the balding scared back-up get smashed by the Penguins’ interpretation of the anti-Christ? I might have.

Edited by Flintstone Cicarelli

Which reminds me, do you think Hossa's hit on a back-up goalie

Garon made a choice to leave his crease, go behind the net, and play the puck. He then becomes a skater and not a goalie which = fair game...

Give it up already...

Edited by Rivalred

Which reminds me, do you think Hossa's hit on a back-up goalie up 5-0 was a classless trait he learned while in Pittsburgh (under the leadership of Crosby and Malkin) or was it grit he picked up in Detroit under what has been described as the kind, loving, fair and sportsmanlike tutelage of the Wings leadership?

Do you think Pittsburgh and Detroit fans see that incident in different light?

Did anyone in Detroit cheer when they saw the balding scared back-up get smashed by the Penguins’ interpretation of the anti-Christ? I might have.

I'm more objective than most Wings fans; I thought it was pretty classless of Hossa to do that.

Then again, goalies have been saving my ass for the last 20 years, so I'm inclined to protect them at pretty much all costs.

Garon made a choice to leave his crease, go behind the net, and play the puck. He then becomes a skater and not a goalie which = fair game...

Give it up already...

then why was it a penalty?

Do you honestly think player A hits player B because there is a threat to his goalie's well being? Or, like me, do you know it is a chance to take a hack at a player and not get called for it while sending a message to the other team that might help keep a crease squatter on-edge for the rest of the game/series?

it is neither classless nor gritty, i think its just a tradition stemming from when goalies had way less padding, if a goalie gets slashed or accidentally hit behind the play there should be no retaliation but when your goalie has skates near his throat and players diving into him intentionally then you should have some form of physicality to counter it, because there is only one goalie you cant replace him if he goes down. If he is checked like hossa did last night, if all it is is a little bump like that even though hossa had intent that deserves a penalty, no more, if you really get hurt form that you need to try a different sport, goalies are just weird fellows and maybe one goalie comes around and flips the goaltending culture, bet we can only wish

Give it up already...

Looks like a refresher of the rules is in order for you. Other than that, you soundly proved the original premise of this thread. For that, I thank you.