• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hopjef

Anyone else have to work DURING the games?

Rate this topic

I'm a firefighter and will be working Friday night but hopefully it wont be required!!

Games start at 1am here in Britain so if it is needed hopefully nobody will decide to burn their house down that night!! :unsure:

Sidenote: out of curiousity, do you pretty much get called out every single time your working a shift? Or do you normally have a few quite days?

i got everyone beat,i dont work and have only missed like 3 games in the past 4 years.im like a red wings groupie,but from my couch. and if i had a cell phone i could text every1 on here that needed it,but i dont .sorry

Back in January I picked the first week of June as one of my vacation weeks (I work nights and would usually miss most of the 3rd and any OT). I lucked into that working out perfectly last year so I tried to match it up again. I was on pins and needles for a while when there was a chance the Final wouldn't start until the 5th. Then the second the schedule came out I requested Tuesday off so I wouldn't miss a potential game 6 (I work Sunday through Thursday so a Friday game is good anyway).

With careful planning and a little bit of luck you don't have to miss a game!

I hear ya. I planned my vacation out for this week as well. I had to work during 2 games of the playoffs but other than that I've been lucky enough to be free for them all.

Back in January I picked the first week of June as one of my vacation weeks (I work nights and would usually miss most of the 3rd and any OT). I lucked into that working out perfectly last year so I tried to match it up again. I was on pins and needles for a while when there was a chance the Final wouldn't start until the 5th. Then the second the schedule came out I requested Tuesday off so I wouldn't miss a potential game 6 (I work Sunday through Thursday so a Friday game is good anyway).

With careful planning and a little bit of luck you don't have to miss a game!

I hear ya. I planned my vacation out for this week as well. I had to work during 2 games of the playoffs but other than that I've been lucky enough to be free for them all.

Sidenote: out of curiousity, do you pretty much get called out every single time your working a shift? Or do you normally have a few quite days?

It varies from day to day. It is very rare to never be called out during a shift but there are times when you only get a few and there are times when you are out constantly. The only thing is you never what is going to happen or when it will happen either!!

i have been very fortunate. i go into work at 5 pm (i live in wyoming so the cup final games have started at 6 my time) and since i deliver pizzas i have to hope and pray that i dont deliver to anyone that is watching the games/highlights so i can watch it on my DVR when i get home.(not that many hockey fans here) to make matters worse i work with a penguins fan who is always checking the scores on his phone and always lets me know that he knows the score, but he knows not to tell me or he will get a swift kick in the goolies. but i have been very fortunate and havent heard any of the scores till i get home. i am lucky enough that i have a very cool boss and he let me have tuesday off so i can watch game 6, he scheduled me from 5-10:30 on friday but he knows if it goes 7 to not expect me in.

Last year's game 5 I had to work, so I set the VCR to record the game. I got home from work, ordered a pizza, and started watching.

The pizza guy came and said, "oh, you're watching the Penguins game? Hope you set it long enough for the 3 overtimes." I shushed him immediately and hoped he was joking. The tape did not go long enough, and I had to go online to see who won.

I work on Tuesday. I have learned. Set the tape for 6 hours, and don't order a pizza.

Last year's game 5 I had to work, so I set the VCR to record the game. I got home from work, ordered a pizza, and started watching.

The pizza guy came and said, "oh, you're watching the Penguins game? Hope you set it long enough for the 3 overtimes." I shushed him immediately and hoped he was joking. The tape did not go long enough, and I had to go online to see who won.

I work on Tuesday. I have learned. Set the tape for 6 hours, and don't order a pizza.

Game 5 is one game i would not have minded missing too much.

Probably avoided losing a few years of your life. I was 18 at the time but i felt 94 after that one, couldn't get out of bed :lol:

My brother lives in Colorado and works during the games. I work afternoons too but send him text updates of what's going on during the games (hits, powerplays, goals, etc...).

If anyone wants updates of Game 7 just PM me your # and carrier (so I can send the text updates by email to text message). Works with Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular, Alltel, Virgin Mobile, AT&T, Cingular. But we can try any other carrier too.

I'll send the # through Bcc: (blind carbon copy) so no one else will see each others number.

GO WINGS!

I'm stationed in Korea, so the games are all on at 9am in the morning. For weekend games it's no big deal, but for Weekday games I always find something "important" that I have to do, that usually takes me all morning :)

If that fails, We generally have the nhl.com radio/scoreboard up where I work.

My dad was Air Force I remember getting up for Michigan games in the wee hours of Sunday morning. Thank God that's over with lol